Any changes to cancellation policy?

Cfinan

Earning My Ears
Are points from a reservation cancelled in less than 30 days still being put in holding? I think the answer is yes. I thought I had seen temporary policy change for COVID but can’t find anything to that effect now.

I have a December reservation that I’m on the fence about and need to make a decision. Points are all current use year with nothing banked or borrowed.

Last edited:
They have nothing published because they can change it at anytime,

If you go to cancel online, there is a note right before you do and it does list there that nothing is going into holding today.

But, that could change tomorrow. IMO, if you are really concerned, I’d assume it is and make a decision to avoid holding because I don’t think they will give warning.

Due to the uncertainty of this situation, we canceled our December trip and grabbed dates in May. I told my office that we are going in May no matter what, but sometimes I wish we could still go in December.

We cancelled our December trips this evening and borrowed points were returned to the original Use Year.

Note our one-time use points were not refunded and will expire in the current Use Year.

There’s a message on reservations arriving within 30 days:

Need to Cancel?

Cancellation restrictions have been lifted for reservations arriving within the next 30 days. Vacation Points returned due to a Resort reservation cancellation will not be placed in a holding account and will be returned to the current Use Year.”

Thank you for asking this question, as I have been wondering this also. We have a trip booked 12/24-31 at BLT and are really on the fence about whether to cancel. We made the reservation in July since our April trip was canceled and we (incorrectly) assumed that the Covid situation would be looking better than it actually is now :(

We're coming up on our 31 day cancellation window soon and while it's probably better to just rip the bandaid off here we are waiting until the last minute... lol! We are on the West coast so points going into holding would be a loss for us.

Thank you for asking this question, as I have been wondering this also. We have a trip booked 12/24-31 at BLT and are really on the fence about whether to cancel. We made the reservation in July since our April trip was canceled and we (incorrectly) assumed that the Covid situation would be looking better than it actually is now :(

We're coming up on our 31 day cancellation window soon and while it's probably better to just rip the bandaid off here we are waiting until the last minute... lol! We are on the West coast so points going into holding would be a loss for us.

I agree there is no harm in waiting until the last minute, but I doubt we get notice of it being put back, so its good to act like it will be since the worst thing would be to gamble and then find out at 20 days before, it’s back and you can’t go.

Thanks for the responses everyone. Chatted with MS this evening. Confirmed that reservations may be cancelled at any time without penalty (no holding). I was also told that it would be communicated to members via email when the regular policy takes effect once again.

Thanks for the responses everyone. Chatted with MS this evening. Confirmed that reservations may be cancelled at any time without penalty (no holding). I was also told that it would be communicated to members via email when the regular policy takes effect once again.
Thank you for sharing! If that's the case then we'll have more time to make our decision with the latest info, yay!

Glad to hear they plan to notify. That will help a lot of people!

Happy news, but I still recommend checking in with the DIS DVC boards on a regular basis. Not everyone gets those notification emails!

Thank you now we know

Thanks for the update. Am glad I can get my points back if I cancel my Dec trip:cool1:

Can confirm this is still the case! Had a renter cancel and got my points returned with no holding.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!