Any Canadians here flying into MCO when Dorian may hit?

Well I just got an email from Westjet saying my Toronto to Orlando leg of the flight has been cancelled on the 3rd. Of course, I'm freaking out and not sure what to do. Waiting for DH to get home so we can discuss. I've got 4 nights at OKW (rented points from an owner), then we are supposed to be on a Disney Fantasy Eastern Carribbean cruise on departing on the 7th, then another 7 days (when we get back from our cruise) at the Poly (also rented DVC points from an owner) - we are supposed to depart MCO on the 21st. I've got so many components of this trip that I've never had before. If it were a straight down and back I would go ahead and cancel but it isn't. Sheesh! I'll see what hubby wants to do before I call Westjet.
That sounds like an amazing trip! I wonder how that works with renting points and then a hurricane comes. I know you're not supposed to be able to cancel that, but you would think there would be special circumstances for hurricanes. I hope you can get it all worked out. It's possible it'll be out of the way for your cruise on the 7th, so maybe just the okw reservation might have to be altered if possible. Crossing my fingers! Good luck!

Well I just got an email from Westjet saying my Toronto to Orlando leg of the flight has been cancelled on the 3rd. Of course, I'm freaking out and not sure what to do. Waiting for DH to get home so we can discuss. I've got 4 nights at OKW (rented points from an owner), then we are supposed to be on a Disney Fantasy Eastern Carribbean cruise on departing on the 7th, then another 7 days (when we get back from our cruise) at the Poly (also rented DVC points from an owner) - we are supposed to depart MCO on the 21st. I've got so many components of this trip that I've never had before. If it were a straight down and back I would go ahead and cancel but it isn't. Sheesh! I'll see what hubby wants to do before I call Westjet.

Try flying in to Tampa...they haven’t announced any airport closure yet.

@I Run Long I am reading this morning that Dorian has shifted east and may not make landfall in Florida. I am not sure what this means for the airport closures but I just thought I would post it

Just read this on a newsletter I subscribe to. @I Run Long have you been able to get through to Disney yet!

Additionally, Walt Disney World has quietly begun allowing changes and cancellations with no penalties for guests arriving between now and September 5, 2019. This includes Disney Vacation Club Members or those booked using DVC points.

Thank you all so much for your feedback. I truly appreciate it. We're going to carry on flying in to Pearson on Tuesday morning and take it from there. If necessary we'll get an alternate flight that gets us as close as possible to Florida, maybe even into Tampa (thanks for that suggestion bookbabe626), rent a car and drive from there. I'm really hoping it doesn't make landfall at all and that everyone stays safe! We may get there afterall.

Here now (arrived 27th) and our flight home is on Friday the 6th. Hopefully the hurricane shifts and MCO opens. I was at 2 Walgreens today (did not know that not all locations have a pharmacist on site) and both had lots of cases of water. We drink a lot and already went through 1 case so I snagged 2 more. I can't locate a flashlight though anywhere. I wanted one in case Cabana Bay loses power.

I hope you can work your way to Florida I Run Long.

Orlando airport is not closing down. They reversed that decision. No reason for flights to be canceled.

Well I really hope you can make it down there and not many issues. If you can get there the World is the best and safest place to be for a hurricane. For the DVC portion if rented from one of the agencies, there is no cancellation at all, for any reason. If rented on these boards or private, then I would reach out to the owner and see if they can adjust and still get their points back. As someone who rents from time to time, this is what I would do, but I cant speak for all.
On the good news, it is now looking like the hurricane has changed course again, and not expected to land in Fl. So might get heavy rain, but should be good to go.
All the best.

Thanks all. We do still plan on flying to Pearson tomorrow evening - actually arrive around 3:30am on the 3rd. Flight is supposed to leave Pearson at around 9:00am on the 3rd. We'll work it out once we get to Pearson - I'm hoping that Westjet updates their travel advisories especially since MCO isn't shutting down tomorrow as was planned. Of course, you never know but it does look like Dorian is changing course a bit. I really hope it does for everyone's sake, especially those already there.

Thanks all. We do still plan on flying to Pearson tomorrow evening - actually arrive around 3:30am on the 3rd. Flight is supposed to leave Pearson at around 9:00am on the 3rd. We'll work it out once we get to Pearson - I'm hoping that Westjet updates their travel advisories especially since MCO isn't shutting down tomorrow as was planned. Of course, you never know but it does look like Dorian is changing course a bit. I really hope it does for everyone's sake, especially those already there.
Well, what you might find out they'll do is fly you to some airport (read not MCO) and then put you on one of their partner Airlines to get the rest of the way. Can't really say but if you try to book a flight right now on WJ there are no direct flights. I'm not trying to upset you but to prepare you for what will happen because as of now they will not have any Westjet staff on site at MCO. Reasoning for this? Their flights tend to be "turn around", take time to clean & fuel plane and then head it back to the same airport AND the staff that is at the counters for certain flights will become your flight crew on the same flight (one of the reasons they have check-in cut offs for the last flight that seem stupid early!)

I hope you're able to get to Orlando without too much drama but just be prepared for WJ to not update their flights based on the reversal of MCO's closure.

Please pay attention to weather forecasts from Florida meteorologists such as Brian Shields. There have been significant developments overnight in this storm.

Meteorologists are cautioning all Florida residents not to let their guard down.

Thanks Donald - my hero. I figured they would do exactly that. It will be a haul to be sure, but we're prepared for it So long as we get there, with or without drama (I'm betting on the drama side), we'll be happy. I just hope so much that everyone already there stays safe.

Just posted on theme parks board...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190901-111706_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190901-111706_Chrome.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 37
I hope you bought trip insurance. During hurricane season I always have it. What did you decide to do! Airlines and cruise will work with you, but DVC is non refundable as far as I know.

I hope you bought trip insurance. During hurricane season I always have it. What did you decide to do! Airlines and cruise will work with you, but DVC is non refundable as far as I know.
We bought insurance for sure - always do during hurricane season. Worked with Westjet and we have the same flight to Toronto, but then they've got us booked on a flight to Atlanta and then on to Tampa. We'll arrive in Tampa around 6:00PM instead of Orlando at 12:30PM so not too bad. Then just have to rent a car and get to OKW. So happy that Westjet was able to help us out. It will be a long trip since we leave Victoria at 6:40pm on the 2nd (tomorrow) and don't get to Tampa until 6:00 on the 3rd. But at least we're going to be there. Thanks for everyone's suggestions and support!

We bought insurance for sure - always do during hurricane season. Worked with Westjet and we have the same flight to Toronto, but then they've got us booked on a flight to Atlanta and then on to Tampa. We'll arrive in Tampa around 6:00PM instead of Orlando at 12:30PM so not too bad. Then just have to rent a car and get to OKW. So happy that Westjet was able to help us out. It will be a long trip since we leave Victoria at 6:40pm on the 2nd (tomorrow) and don't get to Tampa until 6:00 on the 3rd. But at least we're going to be there. Thanks for everyone's suggestions and support!
That’s a long trip for sure. We leave on the 15th from YVR at 7:25pm connecting in SeaTac (Alaska Airlines) for 9:20pm direct to MCO. Arrive at 6:00am. I hope I can sleep on the flight. Going to Universal.
I hope you’ll be safe driving. The hurricane is supposed to hit Florida late Monday night into Tuesday. Even if Orlando isn’t directly in the path, you may get torrential rains and winds. Not good driving conditions. Please be careful.
If it’s bad when you land consider spending the night at a hotel around Tampa airport.

We were supposed to arrive tomorrow, but I pushed our flight to Thursday. Fingers crossed 🤞 it stays on its current track and will be past Orlando by then. Anyone between now and then that purchases bottled water, could you let me know where you got it?

Glad to hear it's going to work out. That's a brutal trip to Orlando but then you'll be in warm sunshine. Enjoy your trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter