Any "behind the scenes" tours?

adubbtee

adubtee
Does anyone know if DCL offers any "behind the scenes" tours? On RCL they offered a kitchen tour and they talked about how the prepped and served all the meals and it was pretty cool. Hoping Disney might have something similar?

We usually sail Concierge, so we should be the first guests to be able to do one. On all of our cruises, we systematically ask if they will be offering galley or theatre tours on our cruise and have always been told they do not do them anymore because of security issues. That being said, someone here or on FB reported that they did a galley tour on the WBTA cruise this year.

I would suggest you ask Guests services on day 1 if they will be offering them. Maybe each captain or cruise director has discretion to allow them.

Does anyone know if DCL offers any "behind the scenes" tours? On RCL they offered a kitchen tour and they talked about how the prepped and served all the meals and it was pretty cool. Hoping Disney might have something similar?

Not as a regular offering anymore. In addition to the galley tour mentioned, with in the last year or two, another poster mentioned going backstage at the Walt Disney theater to see how they did the stage productions. The poster was both sailing concierge and a platinum cruiser, so that may have created that option. You could inquire at guest services, the worst that can happen is they say no.

Not very often anymore... we were invited to a backstage "galley tour" on our EBTA cruise last year. Hope they do offer this again...

We have been on both galley and back-stage tours, but on longer cruises (EBPC & WBTA) of 10-14 days. Do check the navigators and with guest services to see if your cruise offers these activities. They are well worth experiencing and the crew members that give the latter are often in the stage shows and fun to meet. Good luck!

We have been on both galley and back-stage tours, but on longer cruises (EBPC & WBTA) of 10-14 days.

GPaLarry's experience has been my own. On one of the Hawaii cruises I did (I'm pretty sure it was the 10 nt. Sept 2015 one), they offered a Galley Tour and I thought it was awesome to see the kitchen facilities! :cutie: It was on the Wonder and let me tell you, every bit of that well-used kitchen I saw was SPOTLESS. It was a more extensive tour than I expected which was great.

Like PP have said, I would always ask when onboard, particularly if you are on a longer cruise. Good luck! :sunny:

I've been on great tours on non-Disney ships. It's so interesting to see the inner workings of a cruise ship. Many lines still offer them (my husband is doing the All Access Crew Life Tour on the Harmony of the Seas next month). Years and years ago we'd at least get information sheets with cruise statistics - ship info, amount of food consumed, etc. I did the Art of the Theme Show tour on the Dream last November. It was okay - short and guide wasn't very good - but interesting to learn some of the details of the ship's design.

On the Dream and Fantasy, one of the on demand channels has some behind the scenes programming. Not the same, but gives you something to do while you wait for your significant other to get ready...

My husband went on a galley tour our last time on the Fantasy. It wasn't advertised anywhere, he just asked about it at Guest Services and he got a free ticket.

I have witnessed engine room tours on the Dream before but its rare to see.

On our Hawaii 2015 cruise, we were offered a backstage tour of The Walt Disney Theater, it was a great tour.
I believe it was in the navigator.
Let me tell you the line was crazy long too. They took 10-15 people at a time if I remember correctly.

I am hoping they offer some for our WBPC in Feb.

I did a Christmas Day one on Carnival and it was amazing. We even got to steer the ship. They also let us on the bow of the ship. We got to meet the captain and have our pictures made. You couldn’t bring a camera and it was super cheap. 75 dollars a person and you saw evertything! Even the prison cell and morgue. I was hoping Disney had something like it because it was truly a one of a kind experience.

I did a Christmas Day one on Carnival and it was amazing. We even got to steer the ship. They also let us on the bow of the ship. We got to meet the captain and have our pictures made. You couldn’t bring a camera and it was super cheap. 75 dollars a person and you saw evertything! Even the prison cell and morgue. I was hoping Disney had something like it because it was truly a one of a kind experience.
We've done the Behind the Fun tour on Carnival. As well as the Ultimate Ship's Tour on Princess (twice).

I found both to be very interesting and would do it again.

On DCL, we've done a Galley tour, and a Behind the Scenes (theater) tour. No actual full ship tour on DCL. The biggest reason being (IMO, of course) is Walt Disney's aversion to letting the public see how the "show" is put on. Yes, even though he's not around, Walt's world still has a lot of "Walt" in it.

We've done the Behind the Fun tour on Carnival. As well as the Ultimate Ship's Tour on Princess (twice).

I found both to be very interesting and would do it again.

On DCL, we've done a Galley tour, and a Behind the Scenes (theater) tour. No actual full ship tour on DCL. The biggest reason being (IMO, of course) is Walt Disney's aversion to letting the public see how the "show" is put on. Yes, even though he's not around, Walt's world still has a lot of "Walt" in it.

That makes the most sense. You wouldn’t want children to see lose the magic so to speak. The illusion is part of what makes Disney, Disney.

Had a very interesting "back stage tour" and Q&A with the performers on Celebrity Summit a while back. It was a great experience for DD, who was a theatre major.

I've seen Art of the Theme Show tour listed on Navigator but what is it a tour of?

The ship - the parts you see. You learn some of the reasons behind why they did things as they did design-wise. Things like the Maltese Falcon being in Meridian for a reason, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter