Any Allergy Assistance?

DisHopeful

Getting There is Half the Fun
It's been 2 years since my family has been to Disney world. I know that Disney is great at accommodating food allergies at all their restaurants especially the TS restaurants. But I was wondering if anyone has tips, experiences or preferred dining in dealing with food allergies. I have a kid who has dairy, egg, and beef allergies.
Best experiences? Worst Experiences?
Any recommended QS (at any park) that were better for allergies? As I plan what QS my family would like and look at menus, I'm always wondering what (if anything) my kid can eat there.
Is there a website that actually shows the allergy notebooks from each restaurant?
Do you think they will updated the mobile ordering to better work with food allergies?

I'll take any information you want to give. And thank you in advance.

I have multiple allergies, including several that aren’t top 8 and it can be hard sometimes figuring out food. Table service is usually easier but quick service is doable, but not easy. The allergy books and menus are published because suppliers change and sometimes the same supplier will change the recipes. The only things I’ve ordered from mobile ordering is drinks. Not sure I’d want to order food without actually speaking to someone.

At Satuli Canteen, a manager came out with an iPad and pulled up the ingredients for all of their food. I wasn't dealing with the particular allergies you listed, but they did say they had an allergy rice that was free of all the common allergens. I would think the salad base would probably be okay too and possibly some of the other meats besides the beef (of course, ask when you get there!) The manager was incredibly kind and helpful and it seemed like there were plenty of options to accommodate most allergies.

It's been 2 years since my family has been to Disney world. I know that Disney is great at accommodating food allergies at all their restaurants especially the TS restaurants. But I was wondering if anyone has tips, experiences or preferred dining in dealing with food allergies. I have a kid who has dairy, egg, and beef allergies.
Any recommended QS (at any park) that were better for allergies? As I plan what QS my family would like and look at menus, I'm always wondering what (if anything) my kid can eat there.
Is there a website that actually shows the allergy notebooks from each restaurant?
Do you think they will updated the mobile ordering to better work with food allergies?

I second what other poster said about things changing from day to day at CS depend on what they get each day. a while back there were a number of treads about how the French fries had changed and were no longer safe where just a few weeks earlier they had been safe. the binder are only at CS themselves not on line as they change and you would not know how up to date on line was I would be worried that something might have changed. I doubt that mobile ordering will work well with allergies because of supplier changing things even if that info was on menu. most times at CS allergies make food take longer to be safe that you get the right order

My son has a beef allergy, too! I don’t think I’ve ever come across another beef allergy before, although we are new to it all. Beef, egg, milk, and nuts. Poor fella. How do you carry chilled food around the parks considering the resort fridges don’t child things beyond mildly?

I only have one allergy, and it's actually a intolerance, but every QS I've visited has given me a allergy menu to choose from. I can't say that any were better or worse really.

My son has a beef allergy, too! I don’t think I’ve ever come across another beef allergy before, although we are new to it all. Beef, egg, milk, and nuts. Poor fella. How do you carry chilled food around the parks considering the resort fridges don’t child things beyond mildly?
Insulated cooler packs. Or ice packs. Or have a portion of your meal be cold and pack around it. I would normally say yogurt but obviously that's a no-go :)

The ingredient books are only available at the specific location, and can change due to what supplier they used, etc.

WDW has recently started putting the allergy menus for some of their QS restaurants on their website and MDE app. For restaurants that have it online, it is at the bottom of the normal menu. Cosmic Ray's is one example, and often a good choice for many of those with allergies. There are a few problems with the allergy menus though:

- they may not reflect all of what is available -- e.g. sometimes other things can be made safe by changing how is is prepared or leaving something off and pretty much aside from turning hamburgers into cheeseburgers they really don't seem to reflect that well in the allergy menus.

- once you start dealing with multiple allergens the menus become particularly problematic -- e.g the same bun may be safe for allergies x y z, but they use a different one for allergy w. An example: often to get a dairy-free bun it will be the gluten-free bun they use, but those often have eggs. They may have an egg-free bun but it probably has milk and may have wheat. They may not have a bun that is both dairy and egg free.

We use the normal menu + allergy menu as a guide to the likely options of what is possible, or to ID places to a void outright (I am ana milk, peanut, tree nut, and seafood, so somewhere like Columbus House which has a massive amount of seafood is not an option at all for me -- can't even walk into the place).

But when we order we always ask to s peak with the allergy-trained supervisor or chef to place our order. On our last trip we got some pushback at some places, but insisted. We stopped getting pushback when I would start with "I have multiple life-threatening food allergies and would like to speak to someone who is allergy-trained about placing my order".

I highly doubt mobile ordering will change to allow for multiple allergies, and if it does it is likely to only account for the top 8.

As for restaurants, for QS we like backlot express (DHS), cosmic rays (MK), liberty inn (Epcot). Also many of the hotel resort QS are great, and often have more options possible than the in-park QS.

SW

Insulated cooler packs. Or ice packs. Or have a portion of your meal be cold and pack around it. I would normally say yogurt but obviously that's a no-go :)
But how do you make the cooler packs/ice packs cold? I’m guessing those fridges won’t create the stone-cold brick of an ice pack

But how do you make the cooler packs/ice packs cold? I’m guessing those fridges won’t create the stone-cold brick of an ice pack

I answered this question in the other thread you replied to, but will copy and paste here too, in case it helps anyone else.

Every Resort has ice machines scattered about that are free to use.

Bring clean plastic bags and fill them with ice and then dump the ice into your cooler pack. (bring *foodsafe* bags, like 1 gallon ziplock bags - don't try to fill a Walmart or Target bag with ice because it won't be sanitary)

If you are trying to keep ice packs cold, you can always fill a bag with ice, and then bury the ice packs in the bag; just leave them in the sink or shower in case the bag leaks. Alternately, overnight, you can fill the sink with ice, and just let it drain; a quick rinse with hot water in the morning means you can brush your teeth without feeling like a penguin.

You *may* be able to ask Bell Services at your Resort if they can keep ice packs in their freezer for you, however be sure to build in extra time to drop off/retrieve ice packs with them daily. Additionally, I would bring along a ziplock bag and mark it (using a Sharpie) with your family's last name and room number to make it easier for them to find - and to keep your ice packs away from any potential contamination.

The OP posted this in March 2018 - did you take your trip? any update?

I guess I'll just add that my son has common allergies (nuts, shellfish) and the QS have all been fairly consistently good with it - although sometimes limited. Desserts can be harder to find than meals. TS places are generally better than QS if you can budget it - especially for a limited or conversely - adventurous - eater.

I answered this question in the other thread you replied to, but will copy and paste here too, in case it helps anyone else.

Every Resort has ice machines scattered about that are free to use.

Bring clean plastic bags and fill them with ice and then dump the ice into your cooler pack. (bring *foodsafe* bags, like 1 gallon ziplock bags - don't try to fill a Walmart or Target bag with ice because it won't be sanitary)

If you are trying to keep ice packs cold, you can always fill a bag with ice, and then bury the ice packs in the bag; just leave them in the sink or shower in case the bag leaks. Alternately, overnight, you can fill the sink with ice, and just let it drain; a quick rinse with hot water in the morning means you can brush your teeth without feeling like a penguin.

You *may* be able to ask Bell Services at your Resort if they can keep ice packs in their freezer for you, however be sure to build in extra time to drop off/retrieve ice packs with them daily. Additionally, I would bring along a ziplock bag and mark it (using a Sharpie) with your family's last name and room number to make it easier for them to find - and to keep your ice packs away from any potential contamination.

Thank you, MamaBunny! I didn't see the other reply you wrote to me, so I also thank you for the double reply!! Your idea is really great and it's exactly what I will do! I appreciate the time you took to provide that answer to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter