Any advice? Going next week!

Eugenius20

Earning My Ears
Hi All!

This is my first post! Wondering if anyone can help me. Background: I am going to WDW later next week with my entire family. I've taken out many books from the library, conversed with several experienced co-workers and friends, and have even did out an itinerary hour by hour. Am I overdoing it, or should I not think so much about it all? We are staying off-site for more than 1 week but only have 4-day PHPs, and our entourage range from ages 2 to 75. We will most likely stay together as a group (so many frequent rests and stops). I know there is so much to see, but don't want to miss the main events/rides/etc. Does anyone have any quick suggestions or advice on how to go about it in such a short time frame? (We will at least be spending an extra half day or so checking out Downtown Disney. Personally, I've been to WDW twice before, but last time was 1987. I'm sure a few things have changed since then...) Thanks a whole bunch!

I would first have to say, be very flexible! An hour by hour itinerary is great, but I don't think, with such a large group, that you can expect the itinerary to be fulfilled. I wouldn't go commando in the parks with a group your size. From experiences traveling with large groups, I can tell you that it tough to satisfy everyone. Sometimes others want different things.

I know you are new to the DIS, so WELCOME!!! I would definitely suggest reading the posts, and learning about the new things at WDW. There are A LOT of new things that have been added to WDW since 1987. So I would suggest reading up on the boards here, and asking questions if you have any. There are lots of helpful people around here. I would love to answer any of your questions that you have, you can PM me or email me (check my profile). I've been there 3 times in the last 5 years.

Most of all I would tell you to relax and enjoy the trip! Make your must-sees your priority, and then take in the rest to your leisure. Work around those. Take your time, enjoy the experience with your loved ones and don't stress too much if things don't go according to plans.

Also have you made priority seatings (PS) for any restaurants? Those help and cut down on time as well.

Have a wonderful trip! We will also be there next week.

Hi Eugenius.

have even did out an itinerary hour by hour. Am I overdoing it

In my opinion, yes.

our entourage range from ages 2 to 75

Trying to sustain an hour-by-hour schedule will hospitalize the older folks, irritate the young-ins and stress you to tears.

The difference between a good plan and a bad plan is the ability to change from one to another...

I am also a new poster to the DIS! Isn't it awesome?

We leave for Disney on Friday.

Try to be as flexible as possible. Make PS together, but understand some of your group may need a break when others still are charged and ready to keep going.

One suggestion - based on our trip last year with MIL - suggest renting an Electric Scooter. MIL was opposed to it, until she realized how big everything was. Especially Epcot. No way she could have done it and enjoyed it without the scooter. We were just under strict orders not to take her photograph on it! LOL

Have a great trip!

Pammypooh

I agree with the other posters, make sure your plan is flexible. Get a general idea of what are must see's from all members of the group. It might not be a bad thing to split up occasionally so everyone will have the opportunity to do what they want.

Take your time, you may not be able to see everything on this trip. Let the kids have some say and take frequent breaks. Even if it's just to sit on a bench and have a mickey bar or dole whip.

If you try to stick to a strict itinerary, you will stress yourself out. We like to discuss our next days plans the night before.

Good luck & have fun!

Thanks for your posts. I know we won't be able to see everything. Just trying to cut through the info overload from all of the books, etc. Electric scooter? I have not seen that mentioned before here or anywhere. How much is it to rent, and is it hard to rent (do you have to get there early to rent them before they're gone)? Have not done PS yet. Which would you say are top 3 shows/meals that are best for PS?

At this point, it might be really difficult to get PS's for the top shows/meals, such as the Fantasmic dinner package, Cinderella's Royal Table, Chef Mickey's breakfast, etc. But if you look to get PS's at other restaurants it won't be hard. It depends on the kind of food your group would enjoy. If you want a character breakfast and can't get into Chef Mickey's, try 'Ohanas at the Polynesian Resort. Mickey, Chip and Dale are there, and they serve breakfast family style instead of buffet style. If you can't get Chef Mickey's for breakfast, you could try them for lunch or dinner although I'm not sure they have characters there for those times. You could try Crystal Palace as well. Anything is worth a try, but again don't be upset if you miss your PS. with the exception of Cinderella's breakfast, you don't have to pay a deposit or pay if you miss your PS. I would say make just one for each day you are at a park. Check out the restaurants board for more help on this, and if you need to look at menus go to the home page and click on dining at the top of the screen. Hope that helped!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter