Anti Aging Facial Care

Disney Princess

Member Since Day 1
I hate to admit it, but it's time I up my skin care game. Especially with products that can protect against and reverse aging. I am 37, and I don't *think* I have many wrinkles, but it is probably wishful thinking when I look in the mirror. :rolleyes1 What I do have are some pretty dark sun spots. I would love to find a skin care regimen that can lighten the dark spots while protecting against other signs of aging. The ultimate goal - be able to go out make up free without guilt.

What are your go to's for skin care? Obviously budget friendly, but I'm willing to spend (a little) if the product truly works. I would love a cleanser recommendation and a moisturizer (maybe with SPF) or a primer at the very least. Any steps in between that are necessary?

Thanks in advance!

Glo lightening serum worked for me. You must exfoliate and use a sunscreen the next morning or you will have flaky skin. My brown spots from marathon training have noticeably lightened. I have since upped my skincare to include a hat every time I run and lot of sunscreen products. Here is my current regimine:

Day: wash face with an exfoliant, vitamin C serum, supergoop unseen sunscreen spf 40 on face, supergoop spf 40 moisturizer on neck, It Cosmetics spf 50 CC cream, Bare Minerals spf 25 powder, Bare Minerals spf 20 powder concealer, bronzer, Supergoop Glo spf highlighter, etc, NYX dewy finish setting spray. I keep the supergoop spf 50 oil in my purse. I love this cause it makes my skin shiny. I also keep the supergoop spf setting spray in my purse to reapply spf to my face midday.

Night: Makeup remover wipe, micellar water with a cotton pad, wash face with a cleanser, eye cream, moisturizer, Glo serum 3x a week. I also moisturize my tattoos and apply tons of sunscreen on them each morning even when they are covered with clothes.

Last edited:
Since this will be a bit of an investment at first (you won't be buying just one product, but probably several at once), maybe stop by a Sephora or other trusted store to speak with a salesperson about your options. Then get as many samples as you can. It's important to try things before buying to test for sensitivity and to see whether you even like the products. Once you narrow the field (how natural do you want the products to be? or how chemical? fragrance? etc.) and once you find something that works well with your skin (no irritation, no break outs), you'll be on your way!

For a cleanser I use the Cetaphil foaming face wash. I just started using Cerave vitamin c serum in the morning after I wash my face. People do say it's good with reducing dark spots. For my eyes (I'm 42 and my biggest aging issue is crow's feet) I use neutrogena city shield hydrating eye serum. Finally, I use Supergoop CC cream (I think it's SPF 35 or 40) which I love. That's the only part of my routine which I can't pick up at Target/CVS:)

Since this will be a bit of an investment at first (you won't be buying just one product, but probably several at once), maybe stop by a Sephora or other trusted store to speak with a salesperson about your options. Then get as many samples as you can. It's important to try things before buying to test for sensitivity and to see whether you even like the products. Once you narrow the field (how natural do you want the products to be? or how chemical? fragrance? etc.) and once you find something that works well with your skin (no irritation, no break outs), you'll be on your way!
I second the sample route. I get the smallest sizes possible and read reviews on the sephora app. The last thing I got from supergoop had minis of 5 different products. (And anything over spf 15 is FSA approved if you have that) Influenster I think you can get free products by writing reviews, but I dont want to do all that, so I'm not sure of the details. My fav sites to chill out with mindless reading are the reviews on the sephora app to build my list of favorites based on what I want to try and this site. 😊 If you are into beauty, there are some great beauty podcasts out there. I just started a thread on disney beauty products and plan on posting some finds when I get to wdw over Labor Day weekend. I was able to get red lipstick to stay on dressed as Elsa through a 26.2 mi race. We need to swap more tips on that thread!

Last edited:
I use L'Oreal Revitalift day lotion and the night cream. I like the day lotion, not so much the night, will look for a new one eventually. Have yet to find an eye cream I like. I tried Olay Total Effects 7-in-1 for daily as I also like something with an SPF, but it felt too greasy to me for a daily moisturizer.

ok, I know this isnt exactly what you are looking for but people are always asking me about my face. Im 43 but most people think / guess I'm under 30, the usual guess is about 27.

For most of my life I havent worn makeup every day, I only wear makeup for special occasions.

This has been my routine since I was about 30
  1. I wash my face in the morning with just a wet flannel / washcloth
  2. I moisturise every morning. Any brand which suits your skin is fine, the cheap brands are just as good as the high end brands. What matters is how your skin reacts to it.
  3. Between May and September I switch my day moisturiser to factor 50 sunscreen. I apply in the morning and depending on how much time I spend outside during the day, I will reapply after lunch.
  4. I spend as little time as possible outside. Other than on holiday, when I am at home in the summer I dont sit out in the sun.
  5. I drink about 1 litre of tap water every day and alcohol about once a month.
  6. I have never smoked and I have never experimented with drugs.
  7. I eat fresh fruit and vegetables every day
  8. At night time I wash my face with just a wet flannel / washcloth and apply moisturiser. Again any kind, cheap or high end.
  9. About every 6 weeks I will do a facemask, not a high end one. I have tried various brands over the years, and the one I prefer is the peel off type.

You must exfoliate
Consider plain old baking soda for exfoliating. It's natural, cheap, and "just enough" to sloff off stuff from the top layer of skin.
Don't believe products that claim they "get into your pores"; if that could happen, your skin would be red and bleeding. All exfoliating items work only on the top layer.
Avoid products that insert plastic beads into the mix to create friction; these are very bad for the environment.
For a cleanser I use the Cetaphil foaming face wash.
I love Cetaphil. My dermatologist says that as we age, our skin becomes thinner, and it's important to use something for "sensitive skin" ... even if we don't think we particularly have that particular condition. His other recommendation: VaniCream products, but they are more expensive and harder to find.
The other thing he says about aging skin that you might not know: No alcohol-based products. This cuts out things like Sea Breeze (and similar) that you used for acne as a teen.

That's a good segue into my best suggestion: Instead of guessing about this or that product, go to the dermatologist. Have one visit and ask about what over-the-counter products would work best for your skin.
Personally, I started having some skin problems around age 40, and I messed around with this or that product for 1-2 years. Everything worked ... for a week or three, then it'd slowly stop. Finally I went to the dermatologist, and in about 30 seconds I knew that I have Eczema and Roseacea. In about 60 seconds he told me the products he wanted me to try ... and they worked. Immediately. Permanently.
  1. I drink about 1 litre of tap water every day and alcohol about once a month.
  2. I have never smoked and I have never experimented with drugs.
  3. I eat fresh fruit and vegetables every day
Yes, yes, don't underestimate these things!

This may not help since it seems like you have some sun damage already etc but I'm 33 and I look at other 33 year olds and they seem to have more wrinkles and spots than I do.
My secrets are... I do not wear makeup. I use sunscreen if I'm going to be outside during the day for more than 15 minutes, and get ready.... BABY LOTION.
I do not use any other creams or cleansers on my face. I wash my face by patting a wet wash cloth or letting the water hit my face in the shower.

you should never feel guilt or shame for showing your face makeup-free. think of the basic indignity that many women on the planet deal with - not being able to show their face in general, as a very punishable offense. and you're feeling bad because you don't want to walk out of your house smothered in crazy chemicals all over your face? be proud of you! never be ashamed of your body because we all are unique and THAT's beautiful.

I use the Aveda toner mist, skin brightening serum and lotion and they are my favorite daily items for brightening/evening complexion. They have testers in the store and will send you home with a sample if you ask. I agree with what someone said above- find the products that work for you. I use a inexpensive facial cleanser bought off amazon, a drugstore exfoliant and some higher end masks, sunscreen and eye cream. See what your skin likes. There are some spot treatments out there that have good reviews- Check Sephora.

There are sooooo many products out there. What may work for one, may not work for you and vice versa. I tried Meladerm but it did not work for me....disappointing, yes, especially since it gets so many outstanding reviews by users and bloggers. Still, something to look into. Is what you have sun spot damage or something else like melasma? Because melasma is a whole other beast and very difficult to treat. I suggest research, research, research. It wouldn't hurt to visit a dermatologist so you know exactly what you want to treat.

I adore the Lacura night cream from Aldi. It's under $4 and more gentle to my sensitive skin than other brands with retinol. The scent takes some time to get used to, but for the price I can cope.

You want budget? I use Oil of Olay Complete w/SPF 15 during the day. DH insists people should use a higher SPF number, but I usually wear a hat and I don't like sun.
At night I use Night of Olay Firming Night Cream. Both products can be bought in any Walmart, CVS, Walgreens, etc. I've tried all kinds of other products, but like these best.
Oh, once or twice a week, I also use some Oil of Olay mud-type mask. It comes in a roller tube that you roll on your face, wait 10 minutes, then rinse it off.

I have had good success with Ole Henriksen "Three little wonders" set. It is not cheap, but it works better than every other drugstore product I've tried. I bought the full size versions after seeing the great results I had in just 2 weeks. I do also use Neutrogena Intensives Anti Wrinkle Deep Wrinkle Serum. That is a Retinol for night use. I alternate that and the Night Transformation Gel (AHA/BHA ) rom the Ole Henriksen set.

For washing my face, I use a Dove Sensitive beauty bar. I exfoliate on mornings after using the AHA gel with aveeno facial scrub.

I use Elta MD sunblock every day.

The cleanser is actually the least important part of your skincare regime, since you just rinse it off. The real change will come from the products you put on your face that stay there for hours.

I know this is the budget board, but after years of going cheap with my skincare, I decided my face was worth a bit more of an investment after I turned 40. FWIW, I have exactly ONE wrinkle, on my forehead, but numerous sun spots, rosacea, acne scars, and dark spots. My face looked TERRIBLE, splotchy, irritated, and not healthy at all before I started using these products. Now, I can leave the house with no makeup, just a dab of Maybelline Blur primer to get rid of the redness that remains from my rosacea near my chin and cheeks. It's truly amazing.

You need:
A retinol
An AHA/BHA (acid based) product
A vitamin C serum
A good daily sunblock
A good moisturizer, preferably with hyraulonic acid

I swear by The Ordinary. You can buy at Sephora but I purchase directly from the brand online. They are cheap!

I use the..
~gylocic acid toner
~latic acid serum
~Niamincide + zinc serum (this will help with lightening sun spots)
~ Vit. C (absorbic acid) powder
~AHA+BHA face mask
~Retinol 0.2%

I have a routine and if interested, I will share. I have been using these products for 5 months now and my skin is amazing. Dark spots gone. Wrinkles are better. The most important thing is to use facial sunscreen every single day or dark spots will never go away.

ok, I know this isnt exactly what you are looking for but people are always asking me about my face. Im 43 but most people think / guess I'm under 30, the usual guess is about 27.

For most of my life I havent worn makeup every day, I only wear makeup for special occasions.

This has been my routine since I was about 30
  1. I wash my face in the morning with just a wet flannel / washcloth
  2. I moisturise every morning. Any brand which suits your skin is fine, the cheap brands are just as good as the high end brands. What matters is how your skin reacts to it.
  3. Between May and September I switch my day moisturiser to factor 50 sunscreen. I apply in the morning and depending on how much time I spend outside during the day, I will reapply after lunch.
  4. I spend as little time as possible outside. Other than on holiday, when I am at home in the summer I dont sit out in the sun.
  5. I drink about 1 litre of tap water every day and alcohol about once a month.
  6. I have never smoked and I have never experimented with drugs.
  7. I eat fresh fruit and vegetables every day
  8. At night time I wash my face with just a wet flannel / washcloth and apply moisturiser. Again any kind, cheap or high end.
  9. About every 6 weeks I will do a facemask, not a high end one. I have tried various brands over the years, and the one I prefer is the peel off type.
If you only use a washcloth on your face, you aren't actually cleansing it. Water alone doesn't clean.

I use Cetaphil Foaming Cleanser and my Clarisonic Mia brush every morning and moisturize my face and neck with Olay Regenerist. I don't wear makeup and at night, I use Noxema Anti-blemish pads. I think I look my age (45 this month), but I've had people tell me they don't believe I'm that old (thanks?). I have never smoked and drink mainly water. I have an olive complexion, which helps disguise the aging process, imo. The only thing I see on my face is the beginnings of crows feet when I smile and the size of my pores, which have nothing to do with aging.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!