Another wheelchair question..

smallworldnh

DIS Veteran
Hi, my mom (85 years young) can walk short distances without a problem, but has a transport chair for when we go to the Mall or have to walk a bit. I've been reading this board and doing some research on wheelchair assistance at the airports. I have been thinking of just taking her transport chair to get to and from the airport gates and to the MDE and renting a regular sized one for when we arrive at the resort (the transport chair will NOT work for all the walking we have to do!) Do any of you have experience with bringing a small transport chair onto the plane? Thank you!

I've used my own manual wheelchair throughout the airport and Magical Express - renting a scooter (outside vendor) for the parks.

You can push your chair all through the airport to Magical Express (Also to the gate). You can use the wheelchair up to the actual door of the plane. You will remove any leg rests, if they are removable and carry them on the plane. Your chair will then be placed in the cargo area of the plane. When you reach your destination, your chair will be waiting right outside the plane for you to use.

You do want to contact the airline and let them know ahead of time that you will have a chair. They will ask for the weight of the chair, (sometimes the dimensions also).

If you would like you can still request wheelchair assist, even with your own chair. The airport will have an employee assist with pushing chair through airport to gate, (or Magical Express). If you ask they will take you for food and a restroom. They will leave you at the door and you can continue pushing it in.
They will be waiting outside for you to finish. Tipping is appreciated for this service.

To board the Magical Express, the driver will use the lift and place the wheelchair on. No reason to walk the steps. Person can either stay inchair, be locked down or chose
a seat. (If bad knees, I recommend staying in chair). When you arrive at resort, driver will again assist. Again, Tipping is appreciated. (Amount of top is at your discretion b-day I've tipped as little as $5 and up).

Please, when booking Magical Express let them know you will need the wheelchair lift - Not all buses have them.

We‘ve traveled with people using wheelchairs various airlines for almost 30 years. We always gate check the wheelchair and have never been asked how much the wheelchair weighs. So, some airlines may ask, but many don’t.

If you forget to ask for a lift bus from Magical Express, don’t worry - they will still provide one. You just might wait a bit longer.
Letting them know you need one to get back to the airport is VERY important though. If you need one and don’t have it then, you may end up late to the airport.

I flew Delta airlines last August, 2019 and definitely was asked the weight of the wheelchair. Like stated above maybe not all airlines. I also dealt with Delta through their disability department (Not sure if that is why they asked).

So "gate check" means I can take her chair right up to the boarding gate? And it would be available to us as soon as we landed? This would be so convenient! I really don't want to worry about wheelchair assistance around the airports. She can climb a few steps to get on a bus, so we could just have the bus driver put the bus in the luggage hold. I'm sorry for the questions, this will be our first time traveling needing help. Thank you all so much.

I flew Delta airlines last August, 2019 and definitely was asked the weight of the wheelchair. Like stated above maybe not all airlines. I also dealt with Delta through their disability department (Not sure if that is why they asked).
We are flying Delta there and Southwest back, it wouldn't hurt to ask them what their policies are. Thank you!

Just use the wheelchair at the airport. If we find a porter we just tip him. Nowadays, we just hunt down an unattended chair (as directed to by a gate agent a couple of times) and push my mother.

Bringing our own chair (we have done it twice now) was a pain. Always have to wait forever after getting through security (they immediately inspect the chair if u have an attendant). The security dudes are always a bit rude and we typically waited 5-10 mins after clearing security before someone deigns to take the time to inspect the (empty) chair and push it through the xray machine.

Then you get to board first and sit near the front, but then your wheelchair gets gate checked. So you still end up being near the last to debark the plane and u have all the annoyance of waiting and checking to see if they have brought up your wheelchair yet.

All that said, we would do it again when needed because it saved us a bundle not having to rent in Orlando.

In your case, I would just use the wheelchairs at the airport. We have done that many times and it is way less hassle.

So "gate check" means I can take her chair right up to the boarding gate? And it would be available to us as soon as we landed? This would be so convenient! I really don't want to worry about wheelchair assistance around the airports. She can climb a few steps to get on a bus, so we could just have the bus driver put the bus in the luggage hold. I'm sorry for the questions, this will be our first time traveling needing help. Thank you all so much.

I'm not sure what the proper wording is but you can definitely use your chair all the way to the plane entrance. Yes, it is available as soon as you land. When you get off the plane, right at the door, you chair will be waiting for you to use for the ramp. Yes, if your mom can climb the steps of the Magical Express, the chair can be stored underneath the bus, along with your carry on luggagr. When you get off the bus, you'll have to wait for the driver to get your belongings, including the chair. As soon as all passengers for that resort are off, the driver will pull from the cargo space

It would need to be gate checked.
Your chair will then be placed in the cargo area of the plane
Probably. Some planes have a coat closet in the cabin that will fit one wheelchair. First come, first served, but yo do alsk want to take @Bjkandma's advice and notify the airline ahead. Wheelchair takes precedence over anything else.

And it would be available to us as soon as we landed?
Technically. If the wheelchair is gate-checked, it wilk take some time to bring it up from the cargo hold. If she can't stand for 5-10 minutes wait for a Flight Attendant to let you know when it's there.
Then you get to board first and sit near the front,
Maybe. Depends on airline policy. Always ask at the gate.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what the proper wording is but you can definitely use your chair all the way to the plane entrance. Yes, it is available as soon as you land.

I would not say it's available "as soon as you land." We regularly have to wait 5-10 minutes for staff to bring my mobility devices up from the hold.

It's a pet peeve of mine- I think the captain needs to wait as long as I do, if he's indeed responsible for the safety of his passengers, he should be the last one off the ship. This would also incentivize efficiency on the airline's part. My time doesn't cost them anything. An aircraft captain is a different story.

I would not say it's available "as soon as you land." We regularly have to wait 5-10 minutes for staff to bring my mobility devices up from the hold.

It's a pet peeve of mine- I think the captain needs to wait as long as I do, if he's indeed responsible for the safety of his passengers, he should be the last one off the ship. This would also incentivize efficiency on the airline's part. My time doesn't cost them anything. An aircraft captain is a different story.

On one flight, we waited and waited and waited and none of the strollers and wheelchairs were being brought up. After about half the flight had debarked and still no gate checked items showed up, one of the flight crew said he was going to go down and personally make sure they were not forgotten. My impression was that the crew could not get off until everyone was off the plane and if a bunch of us were stuck waiting, they would have to wait with us. Anyway, he went down and shortly afterwards, strollers and wheelchairs started appearing.

We never use the disability department and have never been asked by Delta chair weight. My daughter has both her manual chair and tennis chair gate checked.

We are flying Delta there and Southwest back, it wouldn't hurt to ask them what their policies are. Thank you!

When I flew Southwest with my own wheelchair, I couldn't have asked for better treatment. They never asked the weight of the wheelchair-heck, we didn't even know about it (fractured pelvis) until a few days before we flew. The only thing (a small thing) was that they wouldn't allow DH to push me up/down the jetway. Something about their insurance. However, when we landed at our final destination, and I waited and waited for an attendant who could push me up the jetway, they finally decided that since we owned the wheelchair, DH could push me. Southwest is awesome with wheelchair users.

A jetway is a specially designed movable walkway, much like a bridge or a corridor leading into an aircraft. This allows passengers to board or disembark a plane.

It's just my opinion that I use Delta's online Disability Department as a courtesy and to make sure my Fold and Go Heavy-duty wheelchair will fit in their storage cargo entrance. I print out the dimensions, weight, lithium-ion batteries of my folded wheelchair in case I get a newbie Delta employee that has to read the airline's policy and ask questions when I check my luggage.

To stow your wheelchair, it generally should meet the dimensions 13”x36”x42” of a cargo storage doorway entrance, though that can vary by aircraft. The FOLD & GO Heavy-duty Electric Wheelchair dimensions are 13”x24”x30”. Because of the lithium-ion storage restrictions, Delta requires my batteries info which are 6.5-grams of Lithium-ion per battery and is built approved by TSA to leave intact with wheelchair.

So the few times that I have been asked by Delta for info, they read off from their computer requesting answers to these questions:

Weight
Folded Wheelchair Dimensions
Watts per hour of lithium-ion battery (or a different type of battery like a Dry or Wet battery)
Check the box of which removable wheelchair/ECV to be carried onboard or that is left on the vehicle that can be removed in case needed to store.
Any visible damage before boarding
Any additional info.

I usually can't remember the Folded Wheelchair Dimensions, Watts per hour of lithium-ion battery.

I keep that info on my phone. I don't know why Delta can't save that info under my account.

I also used to carry a copy of this:

But now I have this attached to my wheelchair airline protective case:

Along with Delta's pink wheelchair I.D. Tracker Tag

Personal Wheelchairs
We transport all types of personal wheelchairs, including folding, collapsible, non-folding manual and electric/battery-powered wheelchairs, electric-powered carts and scooters, one additional wheelchair battery, crutches, braces or other prosthetic devices provided it is on the same flight with the passenger who is dependent on the device.

We ask that you let us know about your wheelchair transportation needs at least forty-eight hours advance notice, and that you check in at the ticket counter at least one hour ahead of departure if you need to check any battery-powered equipment. We need this time to ensure your equipment meets all federal "dangerous goods" handling requirements.

Cabin Stowage

We can stow collapsible personal wheelchairs onboard if it meets the size and weight restrictions for the approved storage space on the aircraft (you can make a request when you are pre-boarded). Not all aircraft stowage locations accommodate all sizes of wheelchairs. We limit the number of personal wheelchairs to one personal wheelchair per flight. Wheelchairs stowed onboard have priority over other carry-on items except those of "through passengers".

Checking Your Wheelchair

You can check your wheelchair either at the ticket counter or at the gate. If your checking powered equipment requires disassembly at the ticket counter, we can arrange for proper handling. We have wheelchair equipment you can use after checking your personal wheelchair. Detachable items such as seat cushions and footrests can be carried onboard or checked with the wheelchair in the cargo compartment.

If you prefer, you can arrange to have us check your personal wheelchair at the departing gate and return it at the destination gate when you arrive, or at a connecting airport. Just let us know in advance. You should be aware that the time between connecting flights may be insufficient to provide this service during layover, especially if disassembly and re-assembly of your wheelchair is required. If time is a factor, we recommend that you take advantage of our wheelchair service instead.

Battery-Powered Wheelchairs Allowed Without Disconnection

In order to transport your wheelchair or scooter without disconnecting the battery, your wheelchair or mobility aid must possess a defect-free battery in a rigid compartment that is integral to the device, as well as an effective method of preventing accidental activation during transport. This would include:

• inserting charger (effectively disengages power to the battery)
  • turning key off, removing the key (note — the key may be required to transport the chair to the ramp for loading on the aircraft)
  • turning a kill switch
  • removing a power arm
  • taping a switch in closed position (see owner's manual if available)
There are still circumstances that require the battery be disconnected. If that is the case, our employees may need instructions. Please attach assembly/disassembly instructions, and your wheelchair's battery type (if you know), to the wheelchair. These are the different battery types:

• Wet-cell/Spillable
  • Dry-cell/Non-spillable
  • Lithium-ion — not permitted as checked or carry-on baggage
If you have any questions, please contact Reservations and ask to be connected to the CRO Desk. Once you're at the airport, you can ask any Delta representative for assistance.

Delta Connection Carriers Cargo Dimensions

Due to the size of the cargo compartment doors on regional jets and other smaller aircraft operated by our Delta Connection partners, some wheelchairs may not fit into the cargo compartment. If you plan to travel on Atlantic Southeast Airlines, Chautauqua, Compass, Mesaba, Endeavor and Skywest with your wheelchair, please review the dimensions below to see whether it will fit into these cargo compartments.

Please provide your wheelchair dimensions (height x width x depth) to Delta Reservations or your travel agent, in advance, for us to have in your travel record.

Removable parts such as footrests, headrests, cushions, removable armrests, etc. may be removed prior to measuring.

Lithium Batteries
As you probably know, traveling with consumer electronic and medical devices containing lithium cells or batteries (e.g. watches, calculators, cameras, cell phones, laptops, camcorders, hearing aids, etc.) is allowed onboard as carry-on. Spare lithium batteries are allowed as carry-on only, and must be individually protected to prevent short circuits.

Tips to properly transport spare lithium batteries:

• Pack spare batteries in carry-on baggage.
  • Keep spare batteries in the original retail packaging to prevent unintentional activation or short-circuiting.
  • If original packaging is not available, effectively insulate battery terminals by isolating spare batteries from contact with other batteries and/or metal.
  • Specifically, place each battery in its own protective case, plastic bag or package, or place tape across the battery's contacts to isolate terminals.
  • Take steps to prevent crushing, puncturing, or putting a high degree of pressure on the battery, as this can cause an internal short circuit, resulting in overheating.
Size Limits for Lithium Batteries:

Passengers are permitted to travel with lithium ion batteries that contain a maximum of 160 watt hours per battery. Any lithium ion battery containing more than 160 watt hours is prohibited from carriage on all passenger aircraft. Lithium ion batteries installed in a personal electronic device can be transported as checked or carry on baggage. Lithium ion batteries not installed in a device (spares) must be in carry-on baggage and no more than two (2) spares between 100 and 160 watt hours are allowed.

A jetway is a specially designed movable walkway, much like a bridge or a corridor leading into an aircraft. This allows passengers to board or disembark a plane.

It's just my opinion that I use Delta's online Disability Department as a courtesy and to make sure my Fold and Go Heavy-duty wheelchair will fit in their storage cargo entrance. I print out the dimensions, weight, lithium-ion batteries of my folded wheelchair in case I get a newbie Delta employee that has to read the airline's policy and ask questions when I check my luggage.

To stow your wheelchair, it generally should meet the dimensions 13”x36”x42” of a cargo storage doorway entrance, though that can vary by aircraft. The FOLD & GO Heavy-duty Electric Wheelchair dimensions are 13”x24”x30”. Because of the lithium-ion storage restrictions, Delta requires my batteries info which are 6.5-grams of Lithium-ion per battery and is built approved by TSA to leave intact with wheelchair.

So the few times that I have been asked by Delta for info, they read off from their computer requesting answers to these questions:

Weight
Folded Wheelchair Dimensions
Watts per hour of lithium-ion battery (or a different type of battery like a Dry or Wet battery)
Check the box of which removable wheelchair/ECV to be carried onboard or that is left on the vehicle that can be removed in case needed to store.
Any visible damage before boarding
Any additional info.

I usually can't remember the Folded Wheelchair Dimensions, Watts per hour of lithium-ion battery.

I keep that info on my phone. I don't know why Delta can't save that info under my account.

I also used to carry a copy of this:

View attachment 489197

But now I have this attached to my wheelchair airline protective case:

View attachment 489198View attachment 489199

Along with Delta's pink wheelchair I.D. Tracker Tag

View attachment 489194

That FOLD & GO tag was the first thing I ever put on my Figgy! 👍

But how on earth do you get that pink tag from Delta? That's cool! That's the first I have seen anything like that from an airline (remember that I usually fly a different airline that just *happens* to employ my hubby! LOL) but it's very smart, and I really do like that idea!

That FOLD & GO tag was the first thing I ever put on my Figgy! 👍

But how on earth do you get that pink tag from Delta? That's cool! That's the first I have seen anything like that from an airline (remember that I usually fly a different airline that just *happens* to employ my hubby! LOL) but it's very smart, and I really do like that idea!

I fly out of Atlanta Georgia and I received my pink Delta tag at the Delta gate. Delta puts them wheelchairs and mobility scooters when I check my wheelchair at the gate. The barcode is supposed to link to my Delta flight info.

I've never checked my wheelchair with my luggage so I don't know if they do it there.

I've had it several years and I just leave it on my wheelchair airline protector handle along with my Fold and Go Heavy-duty electric wheelchair Tag and I.D. Tag.

This would be so convenient! I really don't want to worry about wheelchair assistance around the airports. She can climb a few steps to get on a bus, so we could just have the bus driver put the bus in the luggage hold.

I’d be wary of going up the bus steps, especially if she has balancing issues because all motor coach steps are curved.

Also, if you bring your own personal wheelchair or use one of the airport’s, it’s gonna be a lifesaver when you get to MCO because of the size of the airport. (Idk what airport you’re flying out of, but most people with mobility/stamina issues often tire out by the time they get to the tram/security lines.)

...Also, if you bring your own personal wheelchair or use one of the airport’s, it’s gonna be a lifesaver when you get to MCO because of the size of the airport. (Idk what airport you’re flying out of, but most people with mobility/stamina issues often tire out by the time they get to the tram/security lines.)

And, if you are like us, and have to have a layover just to get to MCO, you will be really glad to have your own personal chair.

Shoot, our local airport is fairly compact, but I would never try to go through security and then the hike to the gates, and then down the jetway without my own device... I wouldn't make it.

Your wheelchair flies for free, no extra charge, so why not bring it? 🙂

You can get wheelchair assistance at the airport. There Chairs are smaller to go down the plains rows. Wheelchair to Magic Express at airport. You can rent a chair or scooter to be at the hotel for your used 24/7

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter