Another Snake Story for ya Pete!

cdotla

Trish
After listening to the awful story from Mickey family mentioned on the July 15th podcast, I thought I would share a Snake Story from our recent trip to the Beach Club in May 2010.

Fortunately no one was bit or injured, but it is a good reminder that even in the sanctity of a Disney resort, all kinds of critters (dangerous and not) can still be present.

On our way into Stormalong Bay one day we were waiting for the attendant to get back to the towel station to give us our wrist bands. He was about 4 feet away with a father and son, all crouched down and watching something in the bushes.

Of course my husband and 4 year old son got curious and went over to look as well. Then they motioned my daughter and I over to come check out the SNAKE!!! By this point, this thing was moving fast! It was a large, thick, chunky black snake. And it was LONG!!! My husband estimated it at 6 feet. I thought it looked closer to 9 feet. (Perhaps the discrepancy in our estimations is due to the fact that my husband isn't phased by snakes, whereas I am terrified of them.:laughing:)

By this point the attendant radioed to someone about the snake, which was still slithering and hiding amonst various poolside shrubbery and bushes. It was very close to several sunbathers who were lounging poolside and completely oblivious to its presence.

Of course, this was quite a little thrill for my husband and son, and they continued watching with great interest.

A couple minutes later a middle aged CM showed up. He had a complete "take charge" look on his face, and none of the smiles and friendly gestures typically seen on most CMs. He quickly chastized the young male CM who had not secured the area and started to take charge of the situation.

By this point, there were about 8-10 spectators, including my husband and son, crowding around the area where everyone thought the snake had sought shelter. My daughter and I were watching from a much further distance.:laughing:

Amazingly, there were still a great deal of sunbathers fully reclined on lounge chairs about 10 feet or so away from the snake who were completely oblivious to what was going on.

The "take charge" CM immediately pushed everyone away from the area, and got all the sunbathers who were even remotely near the snake to move. Even though the snake was only feet away from the pool, they did not close the pool and many people continued swimming by, seemingly unaware of the drama that was unfolding.

Very soon two other CMs arrived in maintenance clothing with steel rods, gloves and black garbage bags.

We then watched for probably 10-15 minutes while these 3 CMs tried to corner and capture this snake. A couple of times they got close, and tried to snatch it up with their rods, only to have it scurry away into another piece of landscaping. It certainly put up quite a fight.

Finally we saw them capture it and they took it away - god knows where.:scared1:

I must say - I found the whole thing a little unsettling. :laughing:

The other interesting thing that we observed a couple of days later when we were staying at the Poly was the large amount of people (mostly kids and BABIES!) swimming in the LAKE!!!:scared1:

The evening of May 8, 2010, we saw at least 10 kids in the water, with their parents all watching them from the beach. Here is a picture of 2 of them. Further down the beach, there were probably 8 other kids doing the same thing.

IMG_6192.jpg

So Pete...please keep up those Public Service Announcements!!!;)

I have never seen a snake while at Disney but recall one time when we stayed at YC there were a few CM's poking around some bushes and plantings, at the time we joked about it wondering if they looking for a bomb or something :laughing: I bet now someone maybe saw a snake there

Did the CM's who came to capture the snake mention what kind it was?

Honestly, those 3 CMs were not socializing. They were there for business, and business only. As soon as they caught it, they immediately left.

So I have no idea what kind of snake it was. I tried to find that website Corey mentioned on the podcast to try and identify it, but to be honest, I am a complete wimp and after a couple of photos I got the heebie jeebies and had to get off it!:laughing:

Two comments.

1. Disney has a large department called "Pest Control". This department, unfortunately, only takes charge of non-paying Guests.

2. A few years ago, at Typhoon Lagoon, a two-foot-long black snake (non-poisonous) decided that it wanted to go from the wooded area on the right of the turnstiles to the wooded area on the left side. The shortest route, of course, was across the concrete about 15 feet inside the turnstiles. Some Guests noticed the snake and brought its existence to our attention. I sot of took charge and just kept Guests away from the snake.

As a plan to get rid of any nervousness, I told the Guests that this was a snake with a contract with Disney to entertain the Guests, and it was doing its job.

All went will until a girl about two or three years old took a close interest in the snake, both I and her mother warned her to stay away and leave the snake alone. So she stayed off to the side about two feet from the snake but was still very interested.

Just before the snake got to the woods, the girl jumped forward, reached down, and picked up the snake to look at it closely. After holding the snake for about three or four seconds she realized she was holding a snake and freaked out. She tossed the snake towards the woods and ran sceaming over to her mother, holding her by the leg an crying.

The snake was apparently uninjured and basically everyone, including the girl's mother, laughed at what had happened.

I've seen snakes twice at Disney - once at AK in the Africa section where it crossed the path between groups of people walking - none of whom seemed to see it.

The second time was in the bushes out at the savannah viewing area at AKL. The CM said it was a racer (or something like that). We were told they were harmless and eat small reptiles.

Then of course there is this guy with a bucket of rattlesnakes in his flat...

We saw a small (about a foot long) ringneck snake (skinny, black, with an orange ring around it's neck) in May at the MK. We were in line at the HM, and just before the turnstiles, we saw it on the ground, slowly slithering along. Didn't even seem phased by all the people shuffling along next to it. Everyone kind of just walked around him- not sure where he went though, the only thing in front of him was the entrance to the ride!!!!

Please do not be afraid of our black racers. They are very friendly and most of the time will run from humans. They like to eay critters that you would not want around.

If the snake is brightly colored, or more camo type patterns then be afraid.

All of this snake talk make me think of Samuel L. Jackson and his greatest gift to cinematography: Snakes on a Plane!

My SO loves these threads, because the more I read about snakes, the less I think I can ever relocate to Orlando.

This is one of those threads that should not have been opened! Oh my gosh I hate snakes. My neighbor told me he saw a snake in my backyard mowing last year in our landscaping. Now I'm terrified every time I mow.

Ok, here's my snake story. I am scared to death of them and always have been.

At TL, we have an attraction known as "Shark Reef". One of my jobs is to gather groups of guests and get them ready to get in the water. The queue area is highly wooded, nice and shady. One morning going over to gather my next group of eager swimmers, I look to my left and see a BIG BLACK SNAKE hanging out under a tree about a foot away from my guests. Now, my normal reaction would be to scream at the top of my lungs and then run as fast as my stubby little legs can carry me away from said snake. However, I realize that my group of eager swimmers has not noticed the snake, and are looking at me expectantly to start their shark swimming adventure. So, I take a deep breath, stand with my back to Mr Snake so the guests won't see him and get them safely past and quickly excuse myself to make a quiet call to get pest control on the job. The snake was relocated without anyone being scared-other than me.

That was the moment I knew how much I really loved my job.

I have never seen a snake while at Disney but recall one time when we stayed at YC there were a few CM's poking around some bushes and plantings, at the time we joked about it wondering if they looking for a bomb or something :laughing: I bet now someone maybe saw a snake there

by the description the OP gave it sounds like a water mocassin. same snake that bit the little boy at CBR.

ok...slightly off topic but as mentioned in the podcast there are quite a few critters in the area.

Here is the bobcat we saw on the path from SSR to the marketplace.

123251disney_09_154.jpg

Sorry the pic is grainy, had to crop it so you could see him/her better.
He/ she was probably about 15 feet from us. Although we were not the sharpest tools in the shed that day either for sticking around and trying to get pictures. It just kept a safe distance from us and watched us.

Ok, here's my snake story. I am scared to death of them and always have been.

At TL, we have an attraction known as "Shark Reef". One of my jobs is to gather groups of guests and get them ready to get in the water. The queue area is highly wooded, nice and shady. One morning going over to gather my next group of eager swimmers, I look to my left and see a BIG BLACK SNAKE hanging out under a tree about a foot away from my guests. Now, my normal reaction would be to scream at the top of my lungs and then run as fast as my stubby little legs can carry me away from said snake. However, I realize that my group of eager swimmers has not noticed the snake, and are looking at me expectantly to start their shark swimming adventure. So, I take a deep breath, stand with my back to Mr Snake so the guests won't see him and get them safely past and quickly excuse myself to make a quiet call to get pest control on the job. The snake was relocated without anyone being scared-other than me.

That was the moment I knew how much I really loved my job.

Wow - good for you! I am not sure I would have been able to do that - even while working a dream job!:laughing:

ok...slightly off topic but as mentioned in the podcast there are quite a few critters in the area.

Here is the bobcat we saw on the path from SSR to the marketplace.

123251disney_09_154.jpg

Sorry the pic is grainy, had to crop it so you could see him/her better.
He/ she was probably about 15 feet from us. Although we were not the sharpest tools in the shed that day either for sticking around and trying to get pictures. It just kept a safe distance from us and watched us.

Amazing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter