Another Question about Hearing Loss

MariDisney

Queen of the World
My DD6 has been recently diagnosed with a mild to moderate hearing loss in one ear and a mild one in the other. We don't have her aids yet. (they use a crappy sound field FM system at school...but luckily she's doing OK since the loss isn't so great). Anyway...the loss was diagnosed since our last trip to WDW. Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I'm wondering if there's some sort of headphone system or something she could use without her aids. She's probably fine in most attractions, but I'm thinking things like Hall of Presidents and American Adventure would just be better for her if I tried to do something. What do you think about asking CM for preferential seating on things like the Jungle Cruise? Any advice is appreciated!

I think you would not be the first person to ask to be seated close to either the person who is doing the presentation or close to the speaker. I think it would probably be easier to just ask at each attraction than to have a Guest Assistance Card for that (ie. we need to be close to the speakers. Could you tell us where to sit?) Others who actually deal with hearing disabilities might have different advice.

I would get a GAC just in case. There is a stamp for this.
Another suggestion is to sit in the area for interpreting at shows. While I know your daughter doesn't know sign language, the interpreters usually mouth the words or sing with the words so your daughter can lip read.
ALDs are iffy at best. Unfortunately many of the guest services CM are clueless about their operation and making sure that they work. There are several types including the ones used for Cochlear implants which can also be used with a headset (I use these), ones that plug into your ears and ones that can be used with a t-coil.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter