Another news story for you parents....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amph...s-smeared-online-as-a-predator-and-fled-town/

I saw this today. I'm no parent, but I'm questioning the father. Was he even aware his child was lost? It doesn't say. He also refused to admit he made a mistake.

sailorstitch
Parent or not the father is an arrogant idiot even when presented with the truth he refused to back down, he thought the man was trying to kidnap her really where was she he apparently didn't know if he didn't see anyone walk off with her. Maybe if he kept a closer eye on his child it wouldn't of happened. I wish the true victim would press charges

Parent or not the father is an arrogant idiot even when presented with the truth he refused to back down, he thought the man was trying to kidnap her really where was she he apparently didn't know if he didn't see anyone walk off with her. Maybe if he kept a closer eye on his child it wouldn't of happened. I wish the true victim would press charges
Agreed.

I have done this with so many kids (really it's ridiculous) in stores, parks, Disney etc. I suppose because I'm a woman I haven't been perceived as a threat. One thing I won't do though is touch a child that is not mine. What makes me crazy is HOW LONG it takes to find the parent or the parent comes around the corner with a frantic look on their face. We've all lost track of our kids on occasion but when your oblivious that your kid is even missing that's a problem.

I took a lost small child (who had approached me for help) to an employee at a local water park, & the employee just gave a blank look, as if he didn't know what to do. So I just waited there with the child until the crying mother finally showed up. She was too freaked out to even acknowledge me, so I just left. He had been lost next to a raging river type of wave pool, and I'm sure she had worried that he'd drowned.

So yes, kids get lost and people shouldn't flip out when adults help to return them. Our society seems to be going a little off the deep end in some ways...too negative, punitive and suspicious. There needs to be more assumption of good will.

Granted, Patel probably shouldn't have carried the girl around, but I think Strickland (and his family and friends) behaved awfully. I get a misunderstanding for a moment, but to assault him and then slander him on social media, even after police cleared everything up, is disgusting. I wonder if race is also a factor in this.

As a man, I would be very very concerned about picking up a toddler unless I knew with 100% certainty that they were indeed lost (i.e. I'm riding the subway at 2am and the only passengers are myself and a todder).

you know what, fine... i understand the father's action, he busted the guys head open and knocked out his teeth.
Cops were called, both sides were questioned. People around the area back up the "accused" story of him trying to be a good person.
He doesnt press charges on the father.

Father accuses the accused that he is a predator. spread the news via facebook.
accused and family move out of town for now.

The last 2 lines just pisses me off.

As a man, I would be very very concerned about picking up a toddler unless I knew with 100% certainty that they were indeed lost (i.e. I'm riding the subway at 2am and the only passengers are myself and a todder).

As a woman, I wouldn't touch another person's child, either. If I thought they were lost, I might stand nearby and try to wave down more people. But I sure wouldn't touch them, unless they were about to walk in front of a truck or into rapids.

I treat strangers' children like baby bears. Mama (or in this case, Daddy) is bound to be nearby and she's not going to be happy if she catches me messing with her baby!

I was at Walmart once when a little girl of about 8 or 9 approached me, fighting back tears, asking if I could help her find her mom. The very first thing I did was ask her to come with me into the main aisle across the front of the store, where there would be many eyes on us. That way, no one could say I did anything untoward. I then grabbed my phone and asked the girl if she remembered her mom's phone number (she did). I called her mom, Bob's your uncle, everything was good.

Gahhhhhhhh always so awkward! If I encounter a lost child, I get down next to them. Eye level, plus others can see I'm not running off with said kid. And I usually start asking everyone else, "Please find an employee - I am with a lost child!" The very last thing you do is actually PICK UP someone's child unless they are about to get injured.

Of course I am an obvious Mommy so less threatening. My DH is especially careful because of the stigma against men parenting in public. :(

But yeah... things went wrong when the dude picked up the girl and headed off somewhere. He should have stayed with her on the ground and used his phone or other by-standers to help him get an employee. :(

And the dad? Definitely over-reacted after the first few punches. I get it, he was probably mortified that he lost track of his kid, and felt he HAD to do something in order to justify in his own mind that "he was an attentive parent and controlled that situation". Still, get your kid away from the stranger and retreat... there is no need to have your friends help you beat him senseless!

I coach T-Ball, as a male I get worried about perception all the time. If I have to direct a child to their proper position, maybe they're wandering off to the outfield and are supposed to stay at the edge of the dirt. At most, I'll put hands on shoulders and turn them around and direct them to their spot. I won't pick up a kid that isn't mine. If they just aren't listening (as four and five year olds can do at times), I'll flag one of their parents down to address it.

Not totally siding with the Dad in question here, but as a parent protecting my kids, I have to say I'll err on the side of being an idiot every time.

According to police the young girl tried to pull away but the man was concerned for her safety and picked her up and continued walking toward the playground, “hoping that he would be able to locate the child’s father.”

The above was taken from the story. I understand the stranger wanted to help but once the child tries to pull away from you, you have to let them go (unless they're standing on the edge of a cliff).

The father should have been watching his kid. Period.

I read this isn't the first time his children have wandered away, though I can't find where I read it anymore.

According to police the young girl tried to pull away but the man was concerned for her safety and picked her up and continued walking toward the playground, “hoping that he would be able to locate the child’s father.”

The above was taken from the story. I understand the stranger wanted to help but once the child tries to pull away from you, you have to let them go (unless they're standing on the edge of a cliff).

I totally get what you're saying, but I honestly think in that moment I would have done exactly what the guy did. I know I'm safe. I know I'm trying to keep the kid safe. If a small child is about to wander off, I'd intervene. Especially if I already had tried to help in some way, so now I'm "involved" I would feel forever guilty if I let a kid wander and then a genuine bad guy found them instead of me.

The dad is an idiot, I'd use a stronger word if not on the Dis. And I don't blame him for punching the guy, but I do blame him for the social media. He says that all that matters is his daughter is safe. Um, no, you just ruined a guys life for helping your kid. The toddler was trying to get away, that's why he picked her up. There aren't any employees at a park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter