Another Motion Sickness/Ride Questions Post

Dis703

DIS Veteran
You guys were great answering questions I had last year about rides I'd never really done before. I'm slowly working my way towards doing more of the big rides and so far so good. I did Splash Mountain for the first time and was surprised to find it didn't bother me in the least!

So for a little background I get bad motion sickness, never have thrown up but feel horrible even on a swing set. Worst ride EVER for me was the old Body Wars ride and it took hours to recover. I do take a Bonine but still get a little queasy and in some things dizzy (FoP).

I can ride Soarin', Test Track, 7DMT, BTMRR, Slinky Dog, Kali River Rapids, TSM, and Splash Mountain without any major issues. FoP is tough but I can manage and found a few techniques to help.

Now I'm heading back to the parks with no kids this trip and considering adding a few more. I'm mostly interested in opinions on Rockin' Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror.

My understanding is that R&RC is very fast and smooth but does loop upside down and in a mostly dark environment. It sounds like it would be awful for motion sickness but wondering what others experiences have been with similar ride tolerances. ToT I'm not sure what to expect. I would think numerous straight drops would be awful for that but while not a straight drop by any means, Splash didn't bother my stomach at all.

Appreciate your sharing input on these two rides if you have motion sickness. Thanks!

My FIL gets motion sickness, he was fine on rock n roller coaster but he takes Dramamine the morning of rides

I don't have motion sickness, so can't help with that, but RnR is my favorite ride in all WDW. Yes, it's fast...at least to start. It's a 0-60 launch in under 3 seconds. After the launch, it slows down as it goes through the rest of the track...it's "quick", but not fast. It has 3 inversions. Yes, it's dark with neon signs around. On the grand scheme of roller coasters, it's not very intense, but it's probably the most intense ride in WDW.

I would love to hear about ToT too. I have never done it and booked a fastpass for myself for my solo February trip. I am not really a fan of elevators in general, so I have never done it in all of my trips.

I have developed motion sickness in my old age (46). I usually can ride most rides once, but then give up and let my kids maniacally run back through the line over and over (EE, Space Mountain, etc) while I sit and recover.

Strangely, ToT did not bother me in the least. I rode it twice in a row and could have gone again, but my kids wanted to go ride RnR (which I never did ride, sorry).

I did nonchalantly get on Star Tours and about 15 seconds in felt like I was going to lose my carrot cake cookie. And then realizing I had another couple of minutes to get through was not a pleasant realization. Never, ever again!

Unfortunately, one can never know how a ride affects them without actually giving it a try. :confused3 That’s what stinks about motion sickness!

I have developed motion sickness in my old age (46). I usually can ride most rides once, but then give up and let my kids maniacally run back through the line over and over (EE, Space Mountain, etc) while I sit and recover.

Strangely, ToT did not bother me in the least. I rode it twice in a row and could have gone again, but my kids wanted to go ride RnR (which I never did ride, sorry).

I did nonchalantly get on Star Tours and about 15 seconds in felt like I was going to lose my carrot cake cookie. And then realizing I had another couple of minutes to get through was not a pleasant realization. Never, ever again!

Unfortunately, one can never know how a ride affects them without actually giving it a try. :confused3 That’s what stinks about motion sickness!

I know the differences make it hard to predict. I have avoided Star Tours like the plague because I was told it was very similar to Body Wars and that was the worst. When the kids went they also said it was really hot and stuffy which would have made it worse.

Thanks for sharing!

I would love to hear about ToT too. I have never done it and booked a fastpass for myself for my solo February trip. I am not really a fan of elevators in general, so I have never done it in all of my trips.

Then you may not like ToT. You're sitting in a giant cart with 3 rows of seating. You go up and it feels just like a regular elevator going up. The cart then stops and you start to roll forward through a scene. It then stops and you "drop"...though it's not an actual free fall, the cart is pulled down. Then you go back up quickly, pause briefly and drop again. It'll repeat that a few times. I think it's randomized, so the number of times you drop and how high can vary (but I could be wrong on that). If you don't like the feeling of dropping, you won't enjoy ToT. I don't hate it, but have to say it's not my favorite either.

I have no problems with roller coasters (or ToT), but pretty much any simulator ride will make me feel like death. Star Tours is pretty awful for me, as is The Simpsons at Universal Studios. FoP and Soarin are generally okay.So it is pretty hard to predict without just trying it once.

Count me in as someone who has motion sickness! I can ride ToT once with no issues. I'm not sure I'd do that two times in a row. It's a great ride. It's more turbulent than something like soarin though. As for RnRC...Hell to the no! I would never even attempt something THAT crazy. Expedition Everest made me so sick, I'll stick to the non-coasters.

Ha as a child I remember telling my mom on Body Wars my stomach hurst and she said mine too close your eyes.
We were practically crying by the end.
Never again.

Honestly though most people that experience motion sickness do not experience it on attractions like Test Track, Splash Mountain, Rock N Roller Coaster, Tower Of Terror since they are not simulators or spinning rides.
Basically if you're fine with Splash and Test Track then Rock N Roller Coaster and Tower Of Terror should be fine.

Count me in as someone who has motion sickness! I can ride ToT once with no issues. I'm not sure I'd do that two times in a row. It's a great ride. It's more turbulent than something like soarin though. As for RnRC...Hell to the no! I would never even attempt something THAT crazy. Expedition Everest made me so sick, I'll stick to the non-coasters.

That is how I am with Expedition Everest. I can ride it once and I am fine, but twice makes me a tad sick to my stomach. I have no desire to try RNRC. For some reason I think I want to try ToT even though I don't like elevators. I feel like it is one of those rides that I just have to try.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter