Another famous "taking your kids out of school" thread ..

Mods- if you can lock this thread, I would greatly appreciate it ! I have received many great thoughts and opinions, and appreciate everyone that took the time to reply !

Been taking my kids to Disney during school for the last 2-3 Years. The twins where in 6th and oldest in 9th when started going outside the summer , once in October and twice now for Christmas( right after thanksgiving) and there was never an issue. And they usually miss 6 days. They hate the homework all at once but get it done. But the time there together is wonderful and memories to last a life time.

We are in your same boat. We are pulling our DD (5th grade) and DS (7th grade) the two days before Thanksgiving and the Monday after. They only have a half day on Wednesday 11/21 so I feel like that is a throw-away day anyway. The really tricky part is, we are not telling them about the trip, so I am trying to figure out the best way to go about getting work for them to do without them finding out about the trip. DD's teacher is actually Disney-obsessed and I think would be great about keeping it a secret, but for my DS in 7th I am not sure what to do. Part of me is tempted to just not worry and he can reach out to friends about work. His math text is on-line so he can access that- anyway, I am still trying to figure that part all out regarding getting the work ahead of time.

We are in your same boat. We are pulling our DD (5th grade) and DS (7th grade) the two days before Thanksgiving and the Monday after. They only have a half day on Wednesday 11/21 so I feel like that is a throw-away day anyway. The really tricky part is, we are not telling them about the trip, so I am trying to figure out the best way to go about getting work for them to do without them finding out about the trip. DD's teacher is actually Disney-obsessed and I think would be great about keeping it a secret, but for my DS in 7th I am not sure what to do. Part of me is tempted to just not worry and he can reach out to friends about work. His math text is on-line so he can access that- anyway, I am still trying to figure that part all out regarding getting the work ahead of time.

Can you email the teachers/school to get the work? Easier to sneak by the kids than a note or visit.

When we pulled our kids out of school a few hours early, on the last day before break, we told them they had eye appointments. Dentist would work, too. We had the car loaded up and ready to go. When we walked out of the school, I said, "You know what? Let's not go to the eye doctor. Let's go to Disney World." My DD(then)9 cried for 10 minutes, she was so overjoyed.

Amazing how varied school breaks are throughout the country!

Taking DGD to WDW over the Thanksgiving holiday but since her school is closed:

Monday, November 19 – Friday, November 23 No School: Thanksgiving Break 5, 6, 7, 8

it will work out well for us. We'll leave on Saturday, the 17th, take the train down (costs more than the plane and the ride is longer too but worth it to allow DGD to complete most of her homework packet traveling instead of at WDW), and arrive in Orlando on the 18th. On Sunday, departing on an early plane back so DGD will be rested for school on Monday morning.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter