Another discrimination WWYD

Colleen27

DIS Veteran
And I assure you, this one is real...

How would you feel about a middle school girls' sport coach being transgender? Or lesbian? (I'm not entirely sure how familiar the complaining parent(s) is with the volunteer, so I'm not sure what the specific complaint is yet). There is, of course, an adult 'coach' present at all times at practices and games, but the team wouldn't even exist without this student volunteer because none of the adults who were able to take on leading the team know enough about the sport to provide any meaningful instruction to a group of girls who have mostly never played before.

How would you feel about a middle school girls' sport coach being transgender? Or lesbian? (I'm not entirely sure how familiar the complaining parent(s) is with the volunteer, so I'm not sure what the specific complaint is yet). There is, of course, an adult 'coach' present at all times at practices and games, but the team wouldn't even exist without this student volunteer because none of the adults who were able to take on leading the team know enough about the sport to provide any meaningful instruction to a group of girls who have mostly never played before.
Please update us when you know the nature of the complaint - it could be something legitimate that has absolutely nothing to do with the sexual preference or gender identity of the person. That said, neither of those two characteristics have anything to do with sports, or the ability to coach, or being safe around kids or whatever - they shouldn't even be considered. Period.

My thoughts would be different if we were talking about the fairness of transitioning male-to-female athletes competing on female teams or against female opponents, but unless I read your question wrong, this is not that.

I’d be fine. It would be a non issue.

What sport? Middle school- 12, 13, 14?

Soccer, softball, volleyball?

What's the issue? Just their gender identity or something else?

Daughter at age 10 had 2 young high school/junior college volunteer coaches who taught her a lot about her sport. Their gender identity never came up on the field.

7 years later, I've learned one is lesbian and the other trans. Never was a question or issue. It was all about teaching the girls a sport they love.

It wouldn't bother me at all. DD has a dance teacher that is a homosexual male and he is amazing at what he does. That's all that matters to me.

Why would anyone be less comfortable with the coach being a lesbian than with the coach being a heterosexual male?

Because if the internet and social media has taught me anything, it's that people suck.

I wouldn't care...or probably even know unless we knew them well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter