Another Day, Another Countdown... An August 2017 PTR *Updated 8/26 I'm back!*

Hi Tracy!! So excited to have just "found" you again. I don't know what took me so long!! But I am sad because your August trip and mine come so close to overlapping...but your arrival day is my departure day!!! Such a bummer!! Maybe we can wave in passing lol. Anyway...excited to share in your trip planning!!

Hi Tracy!! So excited to have just "found" you again. I don't know what took me so long!! But I am sad because your August trip and mine come so close to overlapping...but your arrival day is my departure day!!! Such a bummer!! Maybe we can wave in passing lol. Anyway...excited to share in your trip planning!!
Hi Kathy!!! So excited to have you along! I am so bummed to hear that we'll just miss each other :sad2: Hopping over to your PTR to join in on your fun! :thumbsup2 August will be here so fast!!! :hyper:

August 2017 Update:
ADRs!!!

Hello everyone! Happy belated Mother’s Day to all the moms (of humans and pets alike!) following along. Here is my baby, her name is Anga and she’s 10 years old. Her middle name (yes, my cat has a middle name…:rolleyes1) is Marie… so-named as her attitude is much like a certain Aristocat we all know and love…

Anga.jpg

Anyway, I wanted to do a PTR update before I switch gears and return to my May 2015 trip! And this one concerns food. In total, I have five ADRs so far:

Saturday, August 19 @ 7:05: Liberty Tree Tavern

with none other than @chunkymonkey and her DH! (this is the ADR I’m most excited about because of the company!!!)

LTT_Allears.jpg

Thanks, Allears!

Sunday, August 20 @ 3:45pm: Le Cellier

Le Cellier2_Disney Food Blog.jpg

Le Cellier_Disney Food Blog.jpg

Monday, August 21 @ 3pm:
50’s Prime Time Café

50s_Disney Tourist Blog.jpg

Thanks, Disney Tourist Blog!

50s_Disney Food Blog.jpg

Tuesday, August 22 @ 1:55pm: Mama Melrose’s

Mama_Melroses_Allears.jpg

Mama_Melroses_Eating WDW.jpg

Wednesday, August 23 @ 1:50pm: Chefs de France

Chefs_Touring Plans Blog.jpg

Thanks, Touring Plans Blog!

Chefs_Allears.jpg

Thanks, Allears!

While I absolutely love Disney food and Disney table service restaurants, as a (mostly) solo traveler, I tend not to book tons of ADRs because I find certain restaurants are a little less appealing solo than others. An example of this was my ADR at Sci-Fi in May 2015. While I’ve been there many times before– with, you know, people – I found that experience to be a bit of a letdown. I am concerned that my ADR at 50’s Prime Time may prove to be a bit of the same if this trip works out to be another solo one (and it’s looking good… or bad…:scratchin that that’ll be the case). @pkondz I'm relying on you since I’m nearly positive you’ve done this one solo! :thumbsup2

Clearly I’m not concerned whatsoever about my Liberty Tree Tavern ADR as I’ll have the fabulous company of Su-Lynn and Steve! :hyper: But I’m looking for some input on the others. I’m not likely to budge with the Mama Melrose’s ADR as I’m doing that as part of the Fantasmic package. :thumbsup2 I also just snagged a Le Cellier one yesterday so I’m fairly married to that idea as well because… cheddar cheese soup!

If you’ve been to any of these places yourself, let me know what you think! What were your favorites? What were your dear-God-do-not-eat-if-your-life-depended-on-its? Would you go as a solo traveler? Keep in mind I don’t embarrass easily, will make friends with anyone who happens to wander by or smile too widely at the table next to me, or just be content with a book or people watching or trolling MDE to pass the time before my meal arrives. :laughing:

Also, what is your one cannot-live-without table service restaurant? (doesn't have to be on my current ADR list!) I have a good feeling I can guess on some of yours... ;)

I really enjoyed eatiing (and drinking) at both the "lounges" of California Grill and (outside) Hollywood Brown Derby. Whenever I dine solo, I always prefer a patio setting.

Here is my baby, her name is Anga and she’s 10 years old. Her middle name (yes, my cat has a middle name…:rolleyes1) is Marie… so-named as her attitude is much like a certain Aristocat we all know and love…

Awww so cute!!!

with none other than @chunkymonkey and her DH! (this is the ADR I’m most excited about because of the company!!!)

YES!! I'm really looking forward to this! I haven't eaten at LTT since they had their little re-do but of course the company is the most magical part! :)

Clearly I’m not concerned whatsoever about my Liberty Tree Tavern ADR as I’ll have the fabulous company of Su-Lynn and Steve!

Hehe See comment above.

I also just snagged a Le Cellier one yesterday so I’m fairly married to that idea as well because… cheddar cheese soup!

YUM!!!

Also, what is your one cannot-live-without table service restaurant? (doesn't have to be on my current ADR list!) I have a good feeling I can guess on some of yours... ;)

Oh gosh I have so many. I would have to say you need something at AK so I was gonna suggest Tiffins!

Mmmm, the picture of the cheddar cheese soup makes me really want to go back to Le Cellier after a very long absence!
I've never dined alone in WDW although when it was just youngest DS and I for a few days last Niv., it felt like Imwas alone at a couple meals since his face was in his IPod :rolleyes: so hopefully you get help there from others. So awesome you get to do a meal with Su-Lynn and Steve!

I really enjoyed eatiing (and drinking) at both the "lounges" of California Grill and (outside) Hollywood Brown Derby. Whenever I dine solo, I always prefer a patio setting.
Oh, good idea about the patio setting! More opportunity for people watching perhaps, too? :thumbsup2;)

the company is the most magical part!

Hehe See comment above.
YES!!! :goodvibes

I would have to say you need something at AK so I was gonna suggest Tiffins!
When I said I may know a few of your favorites... this is exactly what I was referring to :laughing:

Mmmm, the picture of the cheddar cheese soup makes me really want to go back to Le Cellier after a very long absence!
I know, doesn't it look heavenly!? :cloud9: I've actually never dined in Le Cellier but did get to experience the cheddar cheese soup at a F&W many years ago and it was love at first bite :laughing:

I've never dined alone in WDW although when it was just youngest DS and I for a few days last Niv., it felt like Imwas alone at a couple meals since his face was in his IPod :rolleyes:
Ahh, yes, I do remember this from your TR ;)

So awesome you get to do a meal with Su-Lynn and Steve!
I'm SO excited about this! I met them (along with Su-Lynn's sister) back in May 2015 on a chance encounter on BTMRR (they were only a few rows ahead of me!). I'll cover this happy coincidence in an upcoming update! :thumbsup2

I have so many thoughts on this!

First, I've actually eaten at two of your listed restaurants solo - Liberty Tree Tavern and 50's Prime Time, both for lunch. I didn't feel awkward at either of them as the waitstaff was super friendly and my food came pretty fast. I especially enjoyed 50's Prime Time as there was a lot to look at and it was a wonderful break from the heat! It was one of my favorite lunches on my 2016 trip! As a plus, I was able to try two appetizers I'd been eyeing for years - the Iceberg Lettuce Wedge (really refreshing!) and the Fried Herb and Garlic Cheese (HIGHLY recommended if you like cheese!). I really enjoyed being able to try a few new things!

Absolutely go to Le Cellier - the food there is DELICIOUS (and frankly, the tables are so close together that you'll be able to amuse yourself with others' conversations! :laughing: ).

I haven't been to Mama Melrose in years, but I'm sure you'd be fine there and it would be worth it for the Fantasmic seating. Having done the Fantasmic package in 2015, I don't think I can do without it now!

I've never been to Chefs de France, but I'm sure the restaurant would provide many people watching opportunities. Perhaps you could ask for a table with a window for more people watching ability?

As for my "must-do" restaurants, I have a few. ;) Near the top of my list is Be Our Guest - I LOVE the dinner there (their French Onion soup and mussels are DELICIOUS!) but also really enjoyed lunch on my last trip. I even ate the lunch solo in the West Wing - hardly anyone could see I was alone! :laughing: I must also recommend my favorite signature restaurant for the past two trips, Narcoosee's - the food is delicious and the atmosphere is so laid back that I wouldn't mind eating there solo. It also gives you a chance to visit the Grand Floridian! Another restaurant I really enjoyed in 2016 was Boma - I ate the breakfast solo and was just fine, but even the dinner was delicious (and there's usually so many people there and so many good things to eat right away that I don't think you'd have time to be bored!).

My other usual "must-do" is Via Napoli, but I must admit that's the only restaurant where I ate solo and missed my usual dinner companion. It wasn't quite the same without Anika! (The pizza was still great, though!)

It think the only thing that would be awkward is a character meal - you don't have anyone with you to take your picture!

I can't wait to see what you keep! :goodvibes

Last edited:
Your ADR plans sounds so nice! I've actually never been to any of those so unfortunately can't give any advice on that! But I would say if they are all restaurants you want to try (and it sounds like being solo doesn't bother you a bit) then you should just stick with them! :) I've done the Fantasmic package (but at a different restaurant) and I loved the seating it provided!

And if you time the one at Hollywood right, you can look across to the March of First order or one of the character dance parties!
:jumping1:

I have so many thoughts on this!
popcorn::

I didn't feel awkward at either of them as the waitstaff was super friendly and my food came pretty fast.
Oh I'm so happy to hear that! 50s was really the only restaurant I was thinking I might feel awkward at, but my reservation is at an odd time (3 something) so I was thinking that'd help too maybe.

Absolutely go to Le Cellier - the food there is DELICIOUS (and frankly, the tables are so close together that you'll be able to amuse yourself with others' conversations!
:rotfl: Yeah, I can't imagine a world where I'd give this ADR up! :laughing:

Having done the Fantasmic package in 2015, I don't think I can do without it now!
I'm so excited for the Fantasmic package! Mama Melrose's is probably the menu I'm least crazy about, but I feel that it'll be worth it for the luxury of the seating later! :thumbsup2

I've never been to Chefs de France, but I'm sure the restaurant would provide many people watching opportunities. Perhaps you could ask for a table with a window for more people watching ability?
Good point! At this rate, this would be the ADR I might cancel, but if I could snag a table by the window... :thumbsup2

Near the top of my list is Be Our Guest
I love this restaurant! I was there for a solo lunch in 2015 and I didn't feel awkward one bit! :goodvibes

It also gives you a chance to visit the Grand Floridian!
Good point - and I'm not sure I've been to the GF as an adult... time to fix that! ::yes::

Another restaurant I really enjoyed in 2016 was Boma
This is a great idea and I've heard fabulous things about this place!

My other usual "must-do" is Via Napoli, but I must admit that's the only restaurant where I ate solo and missed my usual dinner companion.
I'm so glad you said this because I was toying with Via Napoli but I wasn't sure I'd want two Italian restaurants this trip since there are so many other cuisines to experience at Disney and I'm already committed to Mama Melrose's, but this place is definitely on my must-do list... but perhaps I'll wait to be sure I have a companion first ;)

It think the only thing that would be awkward is a character meal - you don't have anyone with you to take your picture!
:laughing: I seriously LOLed at this - so true though! But it's something I wouldn't necessarily put past me... :rotfl:
Thanks for all the great tips!

Your ADR plans sounds so nice!
Thanks! I'm pretty excited about them :goodvibes

I've done the Fantasmic package (but at a different restaurant) and I loved the seating it provided!
Yay!!! I'm so excited about the package - I can't even remember the last time I saw Fantasmic and that's just unacceptable. This will guarantee I get there this trip! :woohoo:

Hi, Tracy!! I just happened to see you had commented on another TR I was reading!! Nice to see you back on the DIS :)

I just got caught up and am following along! My favorites are Shulas and Homecomin'. But I've only eaten at Boma solo.

with none other than @chunkymonkey and her DH!

I'm so jealous and wish I could be there for this too!! But I will be meeting them too I hope a few days earlier!!

Monday, August 21 @ 3pm: 50’s Prime Time Café

I am going to this one too! Never been so no clue how it would be solo, but I think probably fun?

I’m fairly married to that idea as well because… cheddar cheese soup!

This sounds delish no matter what the ambiance lol and the ambiance there is kinda dark so...who cares if you are solo!! And also Canadians are friendly :)

one cannot-live-without table service restaurant?

Definitely BOG - though I have yet to try it for dinner - can't wait to do that on this trip. But the atmosphere there is just perfect whether solo or not.

Hi, Tracy!! I just happened to see you had commented on another TR I was reading!! Nice to see you back on the DIS :)
Jackie!!! So great to have you here. I'm so happy to be back on the Dis, too :goodvibes

I just got caught up and am following along! My favorites are Shulas and Homecomin'. But I've only eaten at Boma solo.
Raeven, so happy to see you here! :goodvibes I see you following a lot of others I follow, I'll have to hop over to yours now! :thumbsup2

My dog has a full name, no judgement here. Mercury Legolas Newton Artemis Fido Scamander.
Yes!!! I fully approve! :thumbsup2

I'm so jealous and wish I could be there for this too!! But I will be meeting them too I hope a few days earlier!!
That would have been awesome! But hopefully you'll be able to connect with Su-Lynn and Steve! :goodvibes

I am going to this one too!
Yay!!!!!!!

This sounds delish no matter what the ambiance lol and the ambiance there is kinda dark so...who cares if you are solo!! And also Canadians are friendly :)
You are so right! And so far, I haven't met a single Canadian I haven't liked! :thumbsup2 Yes, that goes for you, too @pkondz ;)::yes::

Definitely BOG - though I have yet to try it for dinner - can't wait to do that on this trip. But the atmosphere there is just perfect whether solo or not
I love it here, too! I've only been for lunch and actually booked a breakfast ADR for this trip but ending up canceling it in favor of a place I haven't yet been. I do love it here!!! :wizard:

Here is my baby, her name is Anga and she’s 10 years old.

She's cute!

So's your cat.

with none other than @chunkymonkey and her DH!

Nice! DISmeet!

Sunday, August 20 @ 3:45pm: Le Cellier

A little taste of pkondz's home.

Monday, August 21 @ 3pm: 50’s Prime Time Café

Excellent choice. While the fried chicken is awesome. Do not... and I can't stress this enough... do NOT miss the onion rings there.
The peanut butter and jelly milkshake is sooo good, too.

But if you try to eat all three of those.... be prepared to be very, very full.

Tuesday, August 22 @ 1:55pm: Mama Melrose’s

Wednesday, August 23 @ 1:50pm: Chefs de France

Can't comment on those two. Haven't been.

I am concerned that my ADR at 50’s Prime Time may prove to be a bit of the same if this trip works out to be another solo one (and it’s looking good… or bad…:scratchin that that’ll be the case). @pkondz I'm relying on you since I’m nearly positive you’ve done this one solo! :thumbsup2

I did do it solo. I had a great experience there on my last solo trip with probably my all time favourite waiter experience there.
It's in my current TR.
Here's the link to that chapter if you missed it:
Canadian Buffoon's Hi Low Vacation - Update! - 05/18 - Life is a Highway... Part II

If you’ve been to any of these places yourself, let me know what you think! What were your favorites?

Been to the first 3.
LTT is good... but I'd never go there solo. Too much food. But as a group? It was great.
50s.... Pretty much already told you.
Le Cellier. I enjoyed it although I thought the cheddar cheese soup didn't live up to the hype that DISers had given it.

What were your dear-God-do-not-eat-if-your-life-depended-on-its?

I don't think I have one of those, actually.

Would you go as a solo traveler?

See comment re: LTT.
50s I'd go again in a heartbeat!
Le Cellier I did solo and would again.

Also, what is your one cannot-live-without table service restaurant?

Don't have one of those either.... but 50s probably comes the closest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!