Another carnival theme??

The whole area in general looks pretty lackluster theme wise. Has anyone seen anything remotely impressive, or make you in awe? Kids will love it - it’s an area for them.

I’m more upset that The Voyage of the Little Mermaid and Beauty and the beast are still there with no updates... that’s insane.

We saw Beauty and the Beast for the first time on our last trip, and we all loved it! IMO it is one of the best live shows in all of Disney. The Voyage of the Little Mermaid was one and done for us (several years ago at that).

I've never heard the word Midway used ever other than TSMM, or I guess I should say TSM now

I think it must be a midwest/west thing

Maybe that's why they took it out, there are so many visitors from the East Coast to WDW who probably had no idea what it meant. We call these things Carnivals

Not a midwest thing. It's originally a state fair thing and states from every region have state fairs. https://www.tripsavvy.com/state-fairs-1860329 The "midway" is where the rides, food booths and fun stuff is located, as opposed to where the agricultural/industrial/educational areas of the state fair are. (Not that education can't be fun, but you know what I mean. :-) )

Way up here in the north we have our Stampede every year including a HUGE midway... not a midwest thing to me either. Toronto has one too at their CNE.

We have a State Fair. It's called the State Fair

So how do you use the word midway? Let's go to the midway? I ate too many zeppoles at the midway? I've never heard it once other than for TSM

Anyway, I think there is a reason they took "midway" out of the entrance art and put carnival in

I mean, does it really matter what they call it? Has anyone looked at the sign and said to themselves “midway? I have no idea what that means so I’ll stay far away from that ride”.

A "fair" is generally MORE than a "midway."
The "midway" is a specific section/area of a fair.

A section? So what would be in the other sections?

See, I've really never heard the word midway used in my entire life lol

A section? So what would be in the other sections?

See, I've really never heard the word midway used in my entire life lol

Exhibits of:
Farm animals.
Manufactured goods.
Tractors.
Harvesting equipment.
Home crafts.
Wheat, corn, eggs, butter, etc.

Then, there are the
Entertainment venues.
Outdoor Grandstands.
and more.

Farm animals.
Manufactured goods.
Tractors.
Harvesting equipment.
Home crafts.
Wheat, eggs, butter, etc.
Entertainment venues.
Grandstands.
and more.

Right. It's all the fair. Rides and games only might be called a carnival

Not to belabor this point, but here is a link to our state fair. It has a mix of stuff, but there is not one mention of the word "midway" anywhere on the website

http://njstatefair.org/home.cfm

Right. It's all the fair. Rides and games only might be called a carnival

Not to belabor this point, but here is a link to our state fair. It has a mix of stuff, but there is not one mention of the word "midway" anywhere on the website

http://njfair.com/fair-history-fun-facts/

• It takes up to 4 days to set up over 300 attractions at State Fair Meadowlands. It takes up to 3 days to “tear” it down. In fact in 2003, 95% of the fair was down the next day because of the Stadiums’ big concert series starring Metallica, Bon Jovi and The Boss, Bruce Springsteen.
  • The Carnival Midway sets up some of their largest rides the week before opening day to make sure they are ready to run on schedule.
  • New Jersey has the strictest laws in the country governing ride safety. Every ride MUST be licensed by the State and ALL RIDES must be inspected and approved to operate prior to opening. They are then re-inspected, unannounced, during fair time.

http://njfair.com/fair-history-fun-facts/

Of course you found it Robo!

Anyway, I have never heard it used in my life, in speech. Like I used to ride TSMM and not know why they called it "Midway" I knew it was carnival themed. I think there is a reason they changed the entrance art

The only reason I keep coming back is that Midway is just a standard word used in common conversation
about outdoor rides, etc.
Of course you found it Robo!

Anyway, I have never heard it used in my life. Like I used to ride TSMM and not know why they called it "Midway" I knew it was carnival themed. I think there is a reason they changed the entrance art

They haven't changed it at DCA.
It's kind of prominent there.

MM.jpeg

But, there IS a reason that they downplayed the "Midway" at DHS.
It was more "political" than practical. It had to do with certain factions
at the Disney creative level and one group got their way at DCA, another at DHS.

Last edited:
The only reason I keep coming back is that Midway is just a standard word used in common conversation
about outdoor rides, etc.

They haven't changed it at DCA.
It's kind of prominent there.

View attachment 303305

But, there IS a reason that they downplayed the "mania" at DHS.
It was more "political" than practical. It had to do with certain factions
at the Disney creative level and one group got their way at DCA, another at DHS.

I have lived here for my whole life and I have never heard the word "midway" used once. Ever. I don't think it's a standard word, at least around here. When I saw the entrance art, and it was removed, I was like, Oh good, they took that word out that made no sense.

Why did they downplay "Mania"? It seems it will be more prominent going forward if Midway is taken out.

I have lived here for my whole life and I have never heard the word "midway" used once. Ever. I don't think it's a standard word, at least around here. When I saw the entrance art, and it was removed, I was like, Oh good, they took that word out that made no sense.

Why did they downplay "Mania"? It seems it will be more prominent going forward if Midway is taken out.

I meant to say "Midway" in the previous post.

In addition, at DCA, the ride was placed in the Paradise Pier section of DCA.
The "Midway" name fits the type of area (carnival-like) in which it originally was constructed.

The name trademarked by Disney was "Toy Story Midway Mania."
I have a feeling that the powers that be wanted to distinguish the name of the RIDE from
the idea that someone just being a big fan of the TS movies.

Last edited:
What huh?

I’ve seen almost every “What would Walt think?” argument that people make, but insinuating that removing one non-Walt-exclusive word – from the name of an attraction he had no hand in, based on a film he never had any hand in, in a park he had no hand in – in some way is an attempt to erase his ... legacy? Those are some hardcore mental gymnastics.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!