Another carnival theme??

Lady Hiss

Mouseketeer
Just my opinion, but it seems the artist's rendering of the entrance to Toy Story Land makes it look very similar to Dino Land in AK - carnival game booth that you go through to gain entrance. I'm puzzled - is there a big carnival presence in the Toy Story movies? Why not a giant toy box or something that is related to the Toy 'stories'? Perhaps I need to rewatch the movies as I'm missing the connection. At any rate, I'm really hoping there's a warmer feeling than that of the harsh blacktop one of Dino Land and the whole land isn't themed to be frenzied and carnival-like. Can you tell I dislike carnivals?

Just my opinion, but it seems the artist's rendering of the entrance to Toy Story Land makes it look very similar to Dino Land in AK - carnival game booth that you go through to gain entrance.

The rendering is the entrance to TOY STORY MANIA which will be INSIDE Toy Story Land-the rendering is not the entrance to Toy Story Land.:)

wdwnewstoday
snapshot1.jpg

Regardless of the back story for either land ............. they both consist of cheaper carnival style rides ... :rolleyes:

So unless they are were going to enclose them or create an expansive shell for them ............ they are still carnival rides.

Might as well make the lands corny to go with them.

Regardless of the back story for either land ............. they both consist of cheaper carnival style rides ... :rolleyes:

So unless they are were going to enclose them or create an expansive shell for them ............ they are still carnival rides.

Might as well make the lands corny to go with them.
Toy Story Midway Mania is a dark ride/shooter and it's enclosed (though the queue may be less so now from the render)

Toy Story Midway Mania is a dark ride/shooter and it's enclosed (though the queue may be less so now from the render)

Okay ......... technically TSMM is going to part of TSL ............ but it was already there, it's no addition or new plus for the park. And it's not really a dark ride. It's an arcade game that we play sitting. (Yes, I do believe it is highly overrated.)

What I was referring to is the "lands" additions to the parks (regardless of story), comparing as PP said about Dinoland in this conversation. Disney also already had Dinosaur in the AK before Hester-Chester ......... it was a great area; the ride, the restaurant, the boneyard ... so much potential but they bring in two carnival rides and asphalt and carnival games. Now we already had TSMM, a popular attraction. They had the space and the land to come up with something great. Maybe a Pixar Place. Maybe a Monster Inc dark Coaster, maybe an Incredibles legit attraction .......... nope, we are getting two carnival rides and carnival looking theme based on rendering showed, and possible more than enough asphalt.

Some of us are disappointed that they cheaped out .... again.

I'm not positive what it will look like one way or the other but I'm making no judgment till I see it with my own two eyes

Thanks for the clarification and polite replies. I'm hopeful the whole Land will be great, with a unique TOY STORY design. My main point, which I didn't express very well: carnivals don't automatically bring toys to mind, but after reading all your replies, I remembered how TSM IS an arcade game and that fits the carnival theme. I just hope it's not as prevalent in the rest of Toy Story Land. I'm excited to see what it looks like and hope lots of DISrs will post their impressions in June.
Thanks again!

, I remembered how TSM IS an arcade game and that fits the carnival theme. I just hope it's not as prevalent in the rest of Toy Story Land.
Besides TSMM,the rest of Andy's Backyard(AKA Toy Story Land:)) will have NOTHING to do with "Carnivals" as opposed to Dino-rama which is ALL "Carnival"(Roadside Amusement Park)themed.:)

I was kind of surprised when I saw the artwork too. Maybe it will look better IRL

I'm surprised by it because I thought the whole theme was supposed to be built around Andy's backyard, that we will be shrunk to the size of the toys ........... I've lived through decades of toys and I never saw a carnival games toy/box. I don't see how this fits with the theme of the land. They could have created a better fit outside that would transition in to the inside.

PS DS went to Disneyland Paris in the fall, and saw their TSL ... he said it was not up to Disney standard.

Last edited:
I would recommend looking up the back story of Chester and Hester for Dinorama. Might change your mind a little about why there's a carnival in Dinoland.

I love Animal Kingdom, I love Joe Rohde, I love Disney backstories... but I don’t buy this one. I think they realized their budget was cut, they found some off-the-rack rides, and then came up with a story for the land to cover it.

As the Toy Story attraction was conceived as, "Toy Story Mania!" at WDW is actually called "Toy Story Midway Mania!" at Disney California Adventure, and
the "Midway" is actually referring to a Carnival and/or Circus rides and attractions area (known as the "Midway.")

TSMM.png

OK - complaints aside before it even opens (and I remember the complaints before Pandora opened too) - I have also lived decades and have seen a carnival games toys and also remember tinker toys had plans for various carnival rides as well - such as a working ferris wheel. And a quick google of carnival games toys will come up with an assortment of games.

My question is about the A-something-something ride - specifically what happens when one is selected by "the Claw"?

As the Toy Story attraction was conceived as, "Toy Story Mania" at WDW is actually called "Toy Story Midway Mania" at Disney California Adventure, and
the "Midway" is actually referring to a Carnival and/or Circus rides and attractions area (known as the "Midway.")

View attachment 303050

Toy Story at WDW has always been called Toy Story Midway Mania, right down to the signage.

And as a stand alone attraction that works great, since the arcade nature of the ride works great with a midway.

I do get they are trying to downplay that now.

But it is now supposed to be in Andy's Backyard as a toy ...

We are supposed to be shrunk to toy size to play with Andy's toys.

I think the inside of the ride is fine, as there are toys scattered among the queues,

but it would be nice if the outside matched the theme of the rest of the land,

rather than have a carnival feel continue. I wish it were a toy.

PS I am a huge miniature fan so I truly hope that I feel like a toy when I enter ...
maybe this is why that rendering bothers me, it says nothing about toy sized toys.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!