Annual Reading Challenge--2020

I have a question for you that use an electronic device. Do you use Kindle or Kindle Unlimited? I already subscribe to Amazon Prime, have a Kindle and was wondering if it was worth an additional $9.99 to add Kindle Unlimited. I mostly read hand held books but am considering phasing in to electronic ones.

Yes some of the best books ever

Thank you for your replies. Ya'll also gave me some other sites to look at which I appreciate.

4/75. The Minor Adjustment Beauty Salon by Alexander McCall Smith

This was an enjoyable book. Somehow I had missed reading it in 2013, it’s and older book in the No 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency Series

Hi All!
I’m not sure how many books I’ll read this year. Right now I am reading The Kept Woman by, Karin Slaughter.
Happy Reading! 📖

1/25 The Words Between Us by Erin Bartels.

I liked this book well enough. It’s about a woman who owns a book store and the chapters alternate between the present, which focuses on her struggling business and the fact that both her parents are in prison, and the past. The chapters from the past focus on her time in high school with a boy that she shares classic books with. I enjoyed the past chapters much more than the present. It left me with a few unanswered questions but overall I enjoyed it as an easy read.

I have a question for you that use an electronic device. Do you use Kindle or Kindle Unlimited? I already subscribe to Amazon Prime, have a Kindle and was wondering if it was worth an additional $9.99 to add Kindle Unlimited. I mostly read hand held books but am considering phasing in to electronic ones.

I bounce back and forth between Kindle Unlimited and Scribd. I think Scribd generally has better quality books, but Kindle Unlimited has more volume and there are quite a few authors I read that make all or most of their titles available on KU. So I'll subscribe to one for a while, then cancel and subscribe to the other, then go back again. And as an added bonus, if you subscribe to KU for a while and then cancel, Amazon will start sending deals to lure you back in... I'm currently in the middle of a "come back for 3 months for 99 cents" promo.

2/25 Recipe For A Perfect Wife by Karma Brown

This is about a modern day couple from NYC who move to the suburbs. The chapters alternate between that modern wife and the wife who lived in their suburban house in the 1950’s, who lived a much darker, secret life. I really enjoyed it. I liked how it alternated the storyline and enjoyed the glimpses of what life was like for many housewives in the 50’s (endless Tupperware parties, lipstick and heels on when husband came through the door each night, etc). There is a twist at the end, showing that things are not always as they appear.

#1-What Happens in Paradise by Elin Hilderbrand
It’s book 2 in her new series. Really enjoyed the characters and setting. Ended on a cliffhanger ugh! Next one comes out in October. She is one of my all time favorite authors, so I know I will enjoy anything she writes.

#2-The Testaments by Margaret Atwood
A solid “sequel” to Handmaid’s Tale. I enjoyed getting to learn things from other perspectives. Very interesting and I love Atwood’s writing style.

#3-This Is How It Always Is by Laurie Frankel
Amazing book. I could not put it down. 5 stars all around.

#4-Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate (currently reading)

2/25 Recipe For A Perfect Wife by Karma Brown

This is about a modern day couple from NYC who move to the suburbs. The chapters alternate between that modern wife and the wife who lived in their suburban house in the 1950’s, who lived a much darker, secret life. I really enjoyed it. I liked how it alternated the storyline and enjoyed the glimpses of what life was like for many housewives in the 50’s (endless Tupperware parties, lipstick and heels on when husband came through the door each night, etc). There is a twist at the end, showing that things are not always as they appear.
Sounds good! Adding to my list...

#1-What Happens in Paradise by Elin Hilderbrand
It’s book 2 in her new series. Really enjoyed the characters and setting. Ended on a cliffhanger ugh! Next one comes out in October. She is one of my all time favorite authors, so I know I will enjoy anything she writes.

#2-The Testaments by Margaret Atwood
A solid “sequel” to Handmaid’s Tale. I enjoyed getting to learn things from other perspectives. Very interesting and I love Atwood’s writing style.

#3-This Is How It Always Is by Laurie Frankel
Amazing book. I could not put it down. 5 stars all around.

#4-Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate (currently reading)
I really enjoyed The Testaments & Before We Were Yours also.

4/75 - Kate Remembered: A. Scott Berg

This was an audiobook narrated by Tony Goldwyn whom I absolutely love! It was recommended on an early episode of You Must Remember This Podcast but it wasn’t available anywhere that I could find at the time. I finally was able to get it through Audible recently and thoroughly enjoyed it! Tony’s narration is excellent and eventually I’ll probably track down the written version to read as Berg has a very absorbing style - I might try and track down his Lindbergh book too.

#2/60 The Night Guest by Fiona McFarlane
Ruth is widowed, her sons are grown, and she lives in an isolated beach house outside of town. Her routines are few and small. One day a stranger arrives at her door, looking as if she has been blown in from the sea. This woman—Frida—claims to be a care worker sent by the government. Ruth lets her in.
Now that Frida is in her house, is Ruth right to fear the tiger she hears on the prowl at night, far from its jungle habitat? Why do memories of childhood in Fiji press upon her with increasing urgency? How far can she trust this mysterious woman, Frida, who seems to carry with her, her own troubled past? And how far can Ruth trust herself?

I did NOT like this one at all! Only a little over 200 pages but took me forever to finish. And I am still confused about that dang tiger..

Hi! Would love to join the 2020 challenge. I'll aim for 50 books.
1. Olive, Again, Elizabeth Strout. A sequel to Olive Kitteridge - which I really disliked! But, this was a terrific book, told in vignettes with a changing roster of characters.
2. A Christmas Gathering, Anne Perry. A traditional early January read for me - a quick murder mystery involving one of her recurring characters. Not the best book of the year, but usually a fun read. This is set in an English country home - a look at how the upper crust celebrated Christmas.

Last edited:
Hi! Would love to join the 2020 challenge. I'll aim for 50 books.
1. Olive, Again, Elizabeth Strout. A sequel to Olive Kitteridge - which I really disliked! But, this was terrific book, told in vignettes with a changing roster of characters.
2. A Christmas Gathering, Anne Perry. A traditional early January read for me - a quick murder mystery involving one of her recurring characters. Not the best book of the year, but usually a fun read. This is set in an English country home - a look at how the upper crust celebrated Christmas.
Welcome!

I finished book #1 - The Kept Woman by, Karin Slaughter and I really enjoyed it.

“The Skimm Reads calls it "a thriller that's part True Detective, part The Girl On The Train. All parts gripping."
Husbands and wives. Mothers and daughters. The past and the future.
Secrets bind them. And secrets can destroy them.
The author of Pretty Girls returns with an electrifying, emotionally complex thriller that plunges its fascinating protagonist into the darkest depths of a mystery that just might destroy him.”

I finished book #1 - The Kept Woman by, Karin Slaughter and I really enjoyed it.

“The Skimm Reads calls it "a thriller that's part True Detective, part The Girl On The Train. All parts gripping."
Husbands and wives. Mothers and daughters. The past and the future.
Secrets bind them. And secrets can destroy them.
The author of Pretty Girls returns with an electrifying, emotionally complex thriller that plunges its fascinating protagonist into the darkest depths of a mystery that just might destroy him.”
Karin Slaughter is one of my very favorite authors!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter