Annual reading challenge 2018- Join in on the Fun

21 Deception Point by Dan Brown
Very similar to Robert Langdon. However really missed him and without him book dragged and was somewhat predictable, which is hard to be with such an over the top unrealistic story line.

22 A Clash of Kings I enjoyed this more than first.
Still hoping to get through all books before last seaon comes out on HBO

If anyone is interested, I would gladly send a kindle gift version of any of my works “Written for You”, “Three Twigs for the Campfire”, “Cemetery Girl” or “Reigning”. You can see them all reviewed at Goodreads(Click to see). If you are interested in reading any just message me here or at Goodreads.

Chasing Justice by Danielle Stewart. Mystery and the first in a series. I do not read a lot of mystery and this author seems to have an abundance of different series to choose from. I usually stay away from that since the books seem to get interchangeable very quickly. For some reason, I really enjoyed this book and might even have to see if the library has the rest of the series. It reminded me of the If I Run series by Terri Blackstock with a quirky female protagonist.

60 out of 60

#92/90: All We Ever Wanted by Emily Giffin (4/5) (contemporary fiction)
A rich senior boy is accused of posting a sexually suggestive picture of a sophomore girl without her knowledge or consent.

Happy New Year fellow readers! I enjoy getting suggestions from this thread!

66/50 last for the year
Death in Chicago Winter by Dominic J Grassi....murder, suicide and financial problem surrounding a Chicago church. I do not think it all was concluded to my way of thinking, but it was a fast read.

Phew. Well, I did it. I finished my 12th book in December a few moments ago, which means I hit my goal of 156 books read this year. The 12 books I read this month were:

145) Run Fast, Eat Slow: Nourishing Recipes for Athletes by Elyse Kopecky & Shalane Flanagan - Not entirely sure how to rate a cookbook, especially since I haven’t had the chance to make anything in it yet. So the rating is based off of how interested I am in the different recipes. 3.5/5

146) City on Fire by Garth Risk Hallberg - A decent read, but at almost 950 it felt to long. In my option it could have been about 650 or so and not have lost anything important. Also, I am personally not a huge fan of jumping around in time when telling a story. 3/5

147) Heart Berries: A Memoir by Terese Marie Mailhot- Mailhot is a First Nation Canadian and this memoir flows from her troubled childhood up through her adult struggle with mental health and personal identity. 4/5

148) A Beautiful Poison by Lydia Kang - Set in New York during WWI and the Spanish Influenza outbreak; three childhood friends who have grown apart reconnect when they start to believe that deaths happening around them that have been attributed to the flu are actually poisonings. 4/5

149) Postcards from the Edge by Carrie Fisher - Fisher’s first published novel, the semi-autobiography work is about an actress trying to put her life and career back together after a drug overdose and time in rehab. 3.5/5

150) Telling Tales by Neil Gaiman - Five short stories by Gaiman. They were all pretty short and so a bit hard to get into. 3.25/5

151) The Things You Can See Only When You Slow Down: How to Be Calm and Mindful in a Fast-Paced World by Haemin Sunim - Sunim is a Zen meditation teacher and this is his nice simple book of mindfulness. 4/5

152) We Have Always Lived in the House by Shirley Jackson - Jackson’s last work. This is a gothic mystery masterpiece 4.25/5

153) Hayao Miyazaki: Japan's Premier Anime Storyteller by Jeff Lenburg - A look at Miyazaki’s life and career. It’s a short read, only 120 pages and could have definitely gone longer and deeper. 3.5/5

154) Darkness Visible: A Memoir of Madness by William Styron - Styron’s personal account of his slide into suicidal depression and his struggles to come out of it. 4.25/5

155) Letters to a Young Poet by Rainer Maria Rilke - In 1902 a 19 year old cadet wrote to Rilke. Over the next 6 years they would write back and forth. This is a collection of 10 of those letters. 4/5

156) The Dream of a Common Language by Adrienne Rich - While trying to figure out exactly what to say for this great poetry collection I came across an excerpt from an article and I’m going to quote that. “The Dream of a Common Language explores the contours of a woman’s heart and mind in language for everybody—language whose plainness, laughter, questions and nobility everyone can respond to. . . . No one is writing better or more needed verse than this.”—Boston Evening Globe. 4.5/5

I'm still way behind in logging books. So I'm just going to list them now. I have one more to finish tonight to meet my goal for the year. I didn't really think I would make it this year.

57. Goodnight June by Sarah Jio
58. Mightier than the Sword by Jeffrey Archer
59. Last to Know by Elizabeth Adler
60. Those Who wish Me Dead by Michael Koryta
61. Looking For Me by Beth Hoffman
62. Night School by Lee Child
63. Cometh the Hour by Jeffrey Archer
64. The Rosie Effect by Graeme Simsion
65. Man on the Run: Paul McCartney in the 1970s by Tom Doyle
66. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by JK Rowling
67. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by JK Rowling
68. Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
69. The Shelter Cycle by Peter Rock
70. The Chilbury Ladies'Choir by Jennifer Ryan
71. A Big Little Life: A Memoir of a Joyful Dog by Dean Koontz
72. At the Water's Edge by Sara Gruen
73. Fatal by Michael Palmer
74. The Store by James Patterson
75. The Painted Girls by Cathy Marie Buchanan
76. The Girl With a Clock for a Heart by Peter Swanson
77. A Separate Peace by John Knowles
78. The Mistletoe Secret by Richard Paul Evans
79. The Twelve Dogs of Christmas by David Rosenfelt
80. Three to Get Deadly by Janet Evanovich
81. Invisible by James Patterson
and if I finish...
82. Suspicion by Joseph Finder (yay! did it)

Final update for 2018:

31/20 - The Incendiaries by R.O. Kwan
32/20 - America for Beginners by Leah Franqui
33/20 - The Shift: One Nurse, Twelve Hours, Four Patients' Lives by Theresa Brown
34/20 - I Am Watching You by Teresa Driscoll
35/20 - The Kiss Quotient by Helen Hoang

I will gladly do 2019, but if there is someone else would like to give it a go, I am completely open to just participating.

Just wanted to chime in and say THANKS for doing such a great job on the 2018 thread. For the previous years' threads, they weren't kept up as well or they fizzled. I know it's a tough job to keep up with. No, I don't want to do it for 2019:) but, again, :thanks:.

Thanks Bookies.
I will leave open offer till Saturday. If no one wants the distinguished honor and resume builder, then I will send out new post.
I am sure there is some way you could work it onto a resume:)

Thanks Bookies.
I will leave open offer till Saturday. If no one wants the distinguished honor and resume builder, then I will send out new post.
I am sure there is some way you could work it onto a resume:)

I know I was bad this year but would live if you did a 2019 one with a little organization maybe I wl be better

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter