Annual reading challenge 2017-come join us

#47 - Carrot Cake Murder by Joanne Fluke

#48 - Cream Puff Murder by Joanne Fluke
Do you like mysteries like this a lot? There is a author named Diane Mott Davidson that have recipes with the books. The first one I read was called Dark Tort. I am reading the next one called Double Shot. It is so good I just am having a hard time finding time to read.

Do you like mysteries like this a lot? There is a author named Diane Mott Davidson that have recipes with the books. The first one I read was called Dark Tort. I am reading the next one called Double Shot. It is so good I just am having a hard time finding time to read.

I read her series years ago! I must see what new books she has added.

#81/85: Say Goodbye for Now by Catherine Ryan Hyde (3.5/5) (historical fiction)
Takes place in Texas in the 50s. Reclusive female doctor becomes involved with a young boy from an abusive home and a black father and son.

#82/85: One More Thing: Stories and More Stories by B.J. Novak (4/5) (short stories)
Some were laugh out loud funny, some were not very PC, but overall enjoyable.

#83/85: Uncommon Type: Short Stories by Tom Hanks (3/5)
Some were amusing, but did not find myself eager to read it. The premise is each story involves a typewriter, but some it is just the mention of one.

#84/85: The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane by Lisa See (5/5) (historical fiction)
Tells the story of a young girl in a remote tea region of China who must give up her baby, and the girl who is adopted in the US. Had me hooked at the second chapter!

#16 American Gods - by Neil Gaiman

I really like most Neil Gaiman works I have reaad. This was very similar in style hoever I read an extended version and it really felt like there was some really unnecesary stuff in it. That said really like Shadow(the main character), Mr. Wednesday, Mr. Nancy and Czenoborg. The New Gods and Loki were so annoying, not sure if it was intentional but if it was, it was a bad choice.
Even with some issues probably favorite book I read this year.

If anyone is interested, I would gladly send a kindle gift version of any of my works “Written for You”, “Three Twigs for the Campfire”, “Cemetery Girl” or “Reigning”. You can see them all reviewed at Goodreads. If you are interested in reading any just message me.

#84/85: The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane by Lisa See (5/5) (historical fiction)
Tells the story of a young girl in a remote tea region of China who must give up her baby, and the girl who is adopted in the US. Had me hooked at the second chapter!

Thanks! I just put my name on the waiting list for that book today because of your review. Lately, I've read several historical fiction books that I've loved.

Week 49 - Look at how close to the end of the year it is getting! I read four books this week which brings me to 199/208. That gives me a little leeway to meet my goal which is good because my days are getting busy with Christmas stuff and I have less time for reading.

The books I read this week were:

An Informal Christmas by Heather Gray. Christian romantic fiction with a Christmas theme and a happy ending.

Colors of Christmas by Olivia Newport, Two contemporary stories that celebrate the hope of Christmas. One was a very standard Christian romance with a happy ending. The other has a Christian theme but was not a romance or mystery, just a good story.

Friends & Enemies by Terri Wangard. Christian historical romantic fiction - happy ending set in WWII and intertwining two stories, a US airman stationed in England and flying bombing raids over Germany and a German woman who had spent several years in the US before the war and knew the airman when they were children. Towards the end of the book, he gets shot down and she helps rescue him.

Daughter of the Night Sky by Aimie K. Runyan. Historical fiction about WWII Russian women aviators. It was interesting to read about the war from the Russian perspective.

Last edited:
#37 - War Room by Chris Fabry

Tony and Elizabeth Jordan have it all - great jobs, a beautiful daughter, and their dream house. But appearances can be deceiving. Their world is actually crumbling under the strain of a failing marriage. While Tony basks in his professional success and flirts with temptation, Elizabeth resigns herself to increasing bitterness. But their lives take an unexpected turn when Elizabeth meets her newest client, Miss Clara, a wise, older widow who challenges Elizabeth to start fighting for her family instead of fighting against her husband.

This book was written based on the movie War Room. I found it very inspirational and want to now see the movie.

#38 - Icy Sparks - by Bwyn Hyman Rubio

The eponymous heroine of Gwyn Rubio's Icy Sparks is only 10 years old the first time it happens. The sudden itching, the pressure squeezing her skull, and the "little invisible rubber bands" attached to her eyelids are all symptoms of Tourette's syndrome. At this point, of course, Icy doesn't yet have a name for these unsettling impulses. But whenever they become too much to resist, she runs down to her grandparents' root cellar, and there she gives in, croaking, jerking, cursing, and popping her eyes. Nicknamed the "frog child" by her classmates, Icy soon becomes "a little girl who had to keep all of her compulsions inside." Only a brief confinement at the Bluegrass State Hospital persuades her that there are actually children more "different" than she.

#43/60

The Silver Chair by C. S. Lewis

The 6th in the Chronicles of Narnia series.

'Narnia, where giants wreak havoc, where evil weaves a spell, where enchantment rules.
Through dangers untold and caverns deep and dark, a noble band of friends are sent to rescue a prince held captive. But their mission to Underland brings them face to face with an evil more beautiful and more deadly than they ever expected.'

#39 - Disruptor: The Final Book in the Seeker Series by Arwen Elys Dayton. Genre - Young Adult Fantasy

For fans of Sarah J. Maas and of Marie Lu's Legend trilogy comes Disruptor, the sequel to Traveler, the thrilling conclusion to the Seeker series.

Quin has spent her life as her father's pawn. She was trained to kill and manipulated to guarantee her family's power. And now that she's broken free of that life, she's found herself trapped again, hostage to a plot that has been centuries in the making.

It's taken generations for the pieces to come together, and finally all is in place. Her best friend Shinobu's mind has been corrupted, the Young Dread has aligned with her enemy John, and the bloodthirsty Watchers are being awakened and gathered. Now there is nothing that can stop the force of time.

But Quin will no longer be a pawn. Quin is a Seeker. She stands for light in a shadowy world. She will face the vengeance of the past and its enemies and save herself and the ones she loves, or she will die trying.

56/58-The Almost Sisters-kind of disappointing to me only because the title led me to believe that it would focus on family dynamics, but it really didn't. Also, there was too much for me bout the comic book world, fan conventions where people dress up as their favorite character
57/58-The Orphan's Tale-LOVED it! Historical fiction about 2 Jewish women who meet as performers in a traveling circus during WWII. Also, about how the circus kind of protected the performers' identities.

57/58-The Orphan's Tale-LOVED it! Historical fiction about 2 Jewish women who meet as performers in a traveling circus during WWII. Also, about how the circus kind of protected the performers' identities.
I've read this one also. Don't know if it was before or after I joined in here this year. I have found a number of good books here on this thread and last years.

#40 - Skin Hunger: A Resurrection of Magic by Kathleen Duey

Sadima lives in a world where magic has been banned, leaving poor villagers prey to fakes and charlatans. A "magician" stole her family's few valuables and left Sadima's mother to die on the day Sadima was born. But vestiges of magic are hidden in old rhymes and hearth tales and in people like Sadima, who conceals her silent communication with animals for fear of rejection and ridicule. When rumors of her gift reach Somiss, a young nobleman obsessed with restoring magic, he sends Franklin, his lifelong servant, to find her. Sadima's joy at sharing her secret becomes love for the man she shares it with. But Franklin's irrevocable bond to the brilliant and dangerous Somiss traps her, too, and she faces a heartbreaking decision.

Centuries later magic has been restored, but it is available only to the wealthy and is strictly controlled by wizards within a sequestered academy of magic. Hahp, the expendable second son of a rich merchant, is forced into the academy and finds himself paired with Gerrard, a peasant boy inexplicably admitted with nine sons of privilege and wealth. Only one of the ten students will graduate -- and the first academic requirement is survival.

Sadima's and Hahp's worlds are separated by generations, but their lives are connected in surprising and powerful ways in this brilliant first book of Kathleen Duey's dark, complex, and completely compelling trilogy.

This is more of a pre-teen/young teen book but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm going to read the next installment and then hope that she gets the third and final book written since it's been eight years since she published the second book.

Just completed my challenge with a cozy mystery, "Crowned and Moldering". For a cozy mystery, it was really enjoyable. So often, cozies have this annoying habit of revealing something near the end that "If I'd known that, I could have solved this ages ago!" But this was straightforward. I must admit that maybe one reason I enjoyed it, was that she was a renovation contractor, would have been perfect on HGTV, which is one of my favorite networks. Although my goal was 58 books, I really want to get to 60 at least, because I admit that a couple books were so poor that I skimmed through them, didn't feel I really read.

56/58-The Almost Sisters-kind of disappointing to me only because the title led me to believe that it would focus on family dynamics, but it really didn't. Also, there was too much for me bout the comic book world, fan conventions where people dress up as their favorite character

Just added The Orphan's Tale to my library wish list!

Books #39-42: The Mountain Man Series 1-4 by Keith C. Blackmore
#39/50: Mountain Man
#40/50: Safari
#41/50: Helifax
#42/50: Well Fed

#85/85: The Princess Diarist by Carrie Fisher (3.5/5) (memoir)
I really liked Wishful Drinking and parts of this one, but I just wasn't into her poetry from her journal.

#86/85: Crunch Time (Goldy #16 ) and #87/85: The Whole Enchilada (Goldy #17) by Diane Mott Davidson (4/5) (culinary mysteries)
Another DISer reminded me about this series. These are the last two (unless she has another one in the works!).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter