Annual reading challenge 2017-come join us

Book #16/50: Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion
Book #17/50: The Burning World by Isaac Marion

From Goodreads:
R is recovering from death.

He’s learning how to breathe, how to speak, how to be human, one clumsy step at a time. He doesn’t remember his old life and he doesn’t want to. He’s building a new one with Julie.

But his old life remembers him. The plague has another host far more dangerous than the Dead. It’s coming to return the world to the good old days of stability and control and the strong eating the weak, and stopping it will require a frightening journey into the surreal wastelands of America—and the shadowy basement of R’s mind.

#54/80: Camino Island by John Grisham (4/5) (crime mystery)
What I enjoyed most is the setting is based on the island where we spend the winter!

#12 The Shadow of the Wind Ruiz Safon
I really enjoyed this book. A young boy from Barcelona gets chance to pick book from rare library. Book he picks (Shadow of the Wind), he loves. Afterward he tries to find more books by the author but finds all his books are being destroyed by someone using the name of a character from the book. Highly recommend it.
Book is a translation, but really well written ii English.

(If anyone is interested, I would gladly send a kindle gift version of any of my works “Written for You”, “Three Twigs for the Campfire”, “Cemetery Girl” or “Reigning”. You can see them all reviewed at Goodreads. If you are interested in reading any just message me.)

Last edited:
#10/12 - The Accidental Empress by Allison Pataki

I enjoyed this book mainly because so much of it is true. Elizabeth, called Sisi, married the Austrian emperor, Frank Joseph, when she was just 16. Instead of being the fairy tale we might like to imagine, her life was dictated by court protocol and her overbearing mother-in-law.

I would recommend this book as I found it both entertaining and an easy read.

Week 32 - This past week I read four books which puts me at 126/208. The books I read were:

Welcome Homeless by Alan Graham with Lauren Hall. Non-fiction discussion of a Christian response to homelessness by a man who helped found two programs in Austin, Texas. Mobile Loaves & Fishes uses food trucks to feed the homeless and The Community First ! Village is an camp ground, RV park and cabins that provides some homeless a place to build a community. It was preachy, it was challenging and its true life stories were fascinating.

The Only Witness - A Neema Mystery. Neema is a research gorilla who is learning sign language. She is the only witness to a baby's kidnapping. A persistent policeman and the gorilla's researcher work together to solve the case. I really enjoyed this book.

When I Am Weak by Staci Stallings. Typical Christian romance with standard happy ending

Master Potter by Jill Austin. The author is a Christian motivational speaker and pottery artist. Her book is a modern allegory of the Christian life in the style of the classic, Pilgrim's Progress. I did read it all the way through but felt it was very forced and heavy handed and would not recommend it.

12/25 - The Games by James Patterson and Mark Sullivan.

I enjoyed reading this book as I do most James Patterson books. I mostly prefer the ones he writes by himself, he uses other writers to crank them out. I guess it's all about the money.

As of today, I've read 53 of my 100 goal. I am stuck on Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult. Has anyone read it? I'm not sure why I can't finish it. (Been reading/rereading since February!) I think I'm offended by the prejudice in the story. I'm hoping there's a happy ending....or at least a happy-ish ending. Can anyone encourage me to finish?

-Dianne

I absolutely love this book :)

Just finished #38/58-"The Woman In Cabin 10". 4 stars-very good, but not worth the 5 month wait.

Next up, "A Man Called Ove"-at least I only waited a couple weeks for that one.

39/100 - Everything We Left Behind by Kerry Lonsdale

40/100 - All the Breaking Waves by Kerry Lonsdale

Books 2 & 3 in the trilogy that began with Everything We Keep, these are more romance and less mystery than the first title. The second still has that element of suspense, while the third gets frankly weird with the main character and her daughter both having psychic abilities and a bit character in the first two stories revealed to be a long-dead relative. I enjoyed the second book as much as the first, but the third wasn't my cup of tea at all. It felt like a big departure from the first two in content, though the tone and writing style remained the same, and much of the story was really, really obvious to the point I was getting impatient waiting for the story to come around to points that every reader surely saw coming.

41/100 - Abandon by Blake Crouch

I really enjoyed the Wayward Pines books, so when this one came up as a recommendation on Kindle Unlimited I had to give it a try. A winding mystery that takes place in the same remote mountain town in two different time periods - 19th century and present day - a heinous crime in a mining town in its boom years is the basis for the action in the present-day, when a tour of the ghost town uncovers what happened in the past. I really enjoyed this one, more than Pines even, because without the post-apocalyptic elements of that series the book revolved entirely around the characters and their interactions with the mystery and legend that they are chasing.

42/100 - The Party's Over by Mike Lofgren

A political expose and analysis of the general trends in Washington over the last two decades, written by a former Republican party insider and Congressional staffer, this was both enlightening and dismaying to read. The sub-title - How Republicans Went Crazy, Democrats Became Useless, and the Middle Class got Shafted - kind of says it all. Lofgren chronicles, though examples from his own service under high-ranking Republicans in Congress, the decline of bipartisanship, the rise of dark money in politics, and the growing dominance of what were once fringe ideologies within the party. The chapters on how to fix the problems as he sees them were among the most disheartening pages I've ever read, since literally every one of his suggestions was a long shot 5 years ago and probably entirely impossible today. It was an excellent read in terms of understanding the current state of American politics.

43/100 - Green Metropolis by David Owen

A rather different take on writing about sustainability, this book was well researched but at times dense and not particularly enjoyable reading. The basic premise - that dense cities, not decentralized communities full of "green" features, are the sustainable model for human societies, and that higher fuel economy, hybrids, and other transportation advances are counterproductive because they further encourage sprawl - was really interesting because it runs contrary to everything we're conditioned to think of as environmentally conscious. And the author makes a persuasive case that is only slightly undermined by his open acknowledgement that while he knows academically that cities are more sustainable, he moved his own family from a low-footprint car-free life in NYC to a small upstate town.

#27 The Girl Before by J.P. Delaney

Please make a list of every possession you consider essential to your life.

The request seems odd, even intrusive—and for the two women who answer, the consequences are devastating.

Emma
Reeling from a traumatic break-in, Emma wants a new place to live. But none of the apartments she sees are affordable or feel safe. Until One Folgate Street. The house is an architectural masterpiece: a minimalist design of pale stone, plate glass, and soaring ceilings. But there are rules. The enigmatic architect who designed the house retains full control: no books, no throw pillows, no photos or clutter or personal effects of any kind. The space is intended to transform its occupant—and it does.

Jane
After a personal tragedy, Jane needs a fresh start. When she finds One Folgate Street she is instantly drawn to the space—and to its aloof but seductive creator. Moving in, Jane soon learns about the untimely death of the home’s previous tenant, a woman similar to Jane in age and appearance. As Jane tries to untangle truth from lies, she unwittingly follows the same patterns, makes the same choices, crosses paths with the same people, and experiences the same terror, as the girl before.

I had this one on hold at the library forever so was excited when it finally came available. Well....started out slow to me, picked up midway thru and was pretty good the rest of the book. Gone Girl, Girl on the Train type of book but I actually liked it better than those two and a lot better than The Woman in Cabin 10.

I believe they are making a movie out of this one but don't think I liked it enough to watch.

Week 33 - I read four books this week which makes it 130/208. The books this week were all Christian romance fluff (it was a strange kind of week) and had happy endings. The books were:

Fifth Generation Cowboy (Three River Ranch Romance series) by Elana Johnson.

Sixth Street Love Affair (Three River Ranch Romance series) by Elana Johnson.

Eight Second Ride (Three River Ranch Romance series) by Elana Johnson.

These were part of an eight book series and I have read books 1-3 and 7 on prior occasions.

Pam (Woman of Valley View series) by Sharon Srock - this book had a somewhat unusual happy ending in that one of the main character dies but almost everyone handles with idealized "Christian" grief.

#11/12 - Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple

This quirky book was a present from a friend. I don't think it's a book I would have picked out on my own but I absolutely loved it.

Bernadette, the mom, disappears. Her daughter uses emails, letters, etc to piece together what has happened. Fun read and one I would recommend.

Books #18-22: Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan
#18: The Lightning Thief
#19: The Sea of Monsters
#20: The Titan’s Curse
#21: The Battle of the Labyrinth
#22: The Last Olympian

#55/80: Shady Cross by James Hankins (4/5) (thriller)
Long-time thief finds a bag of money that is supposed to be used to rescue a kidnapped girl. He decides to rescue her and runs into many roadblocks.

Week 33 - I read four books this week which makes it 130/208. The books this week were all Christian romance fluff (it was a strange kind of week) and had happy endings. The books were:

Fifth Generation Cowboy (Three River Ranch Romance series) by Elana Johnson.

Sixth Street Love Affair (Three River Ranch Romance series) by Elana Johnson.

Eight Second Ride (Three River Ranch Romance series) by Elana Johnson.

These were part of an eight book series and I have read books 1-3 and 7 on prior occasions.

Pam (Woman of Valley View series) by Sharon Srock - this book had a somewhat unusual happy ending in that one of the main character dies but almost everyone handles with idealized "Christian" grief.
Thank you, I will look these up....

#13/25 - A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman

I saw this book in an airport bookstore, took a picture and ordered it when I got home. I wasn't sure if I would like it, I've not had good luck with European writers but I did enjoy reading it. Was it the best book I've ever read, not by a long shot but I would pass it on to a friend. I am going to pick up another one of his books.

#14/25 - The Orphan's Tale by Pam Jenoff

I can't say that I enjoyed reading this book but I did finish it. I found it depressing. It's about being a part of the circus in Europe during WWII and keeps switching between the two main characters which I found distracting. One chapter would be Astrid and the next Noa. I'm not fond of books written this way. I don't believe I will be looking up more books by this author.

Interesting-I just finished "A Man Called Ove" also-for me it was #39/58. I thought it was kind of cute and interesting, but not compelling, The only reason I read it is that my Mom, who lives almost 2 thousand miles away, was reading it for her library book club, and I often try to read the same books as she does, which she likes.

#28/60

The Kept Woman by Karin Slaughter

With the discovery of a murder at an abandoned construction site, Will Trent and the Georgia Bureau of Investigation are brought in on a case that becomes much more dangerous when the dead man is identified as an ex-cop.

Studying the body, Sara Linton—the GBI’s newest medical examiner and Will’s lover—realizes that the extensive blood loss didn't belong to the corpse. Sure enough, bloody footprints leading away from the scene indicate there is another victim—a woman—who has vanished . . . and who will die soon if she isn’t found.

Will is already compromised, because the site belongs to the city’s most popular citizen: a wealthy, powerful, and politically connected athlete protected by the world’s most expensive lawyers—a man who’s already gotten away with rape, despite Will’s exhaustive efforts to put him away.

But the worst is yet to come. Evidence soon links Will’s troubled past to the case . . . and the consequences will tear through his life with the force of a tornado, wreaking havoc for Will and everyone around him, including his colleagues, family, friends—and even the suspects he pursues.

YAY!! Finally. My favorite book of this year's challenge. Of course Karin S. never fails, she is one of my favorite authors.

Week 34-I read five books this week which brings me to 135/208. The books I read this week were:

Vines of Entanglement by Lisa Canter. This was a Christian mystery/romance. It had an interesting plot and a happy ending.

Hawaiian Hangover an Agnes Barton Senior Sleuth's by Madison Johns. Light hearted mystery featuring two older ladies who encounter a dead body on their dream vacation. Being amateur sleuths, they cannot help but get involved. It was not well written - lots of attempted humor that fell flat with me.

The Writing Desk by Rachel Hauck. Christian romantic fiction. Set across two generations, 1903 and the present and two women each a struggling writer and unknowingly linked by lies made in the past and in the present. For me, it got off to a slow start and I almost quit a couple of chapters in. Glad I did not because was I got engaged in the story, it was worth it. And, yes, both threads of the story had happy endings.

Trust by Pamela Kelly. This is from the Waverly Beach Mystery Series. A school teacher gives a troubled student some extra attention. The student is found dead and the teacher becomes a suspect. It is just three weeks from her wedding and her past comes back to haunt her. She was involved in a similar murder in high school. When her golf club turns out to be the murder weapon, she is arrested. Out on bond, her finance insists on going forward with the wedding to show his confidence in her. They work with friends that go back to that first murder to clear her name.

Romance Grow in Arcadia Valley - six novellas by six different authors: Mary Jane Hathaway, Elizabeth Maddrey, Lee Tobin McClain, Valerie Comer, Danica Favorite and Annalisa Daughety. Christian romance. All the stories are set in the same location but are not otherwise related. Each story is the introductory story for a series that each author has. All had happy endings but were good, quick, relaxing reads.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter