Annual passholder question...

Texastiger

Mouseketeer
My husband, myself, and our two kids became annual passholders last April. We've traveled to Disney 11 times in the last 12 years. This year (April 2019-April 2020) we decided to bookend our trips, and bought annual passes to save some money. We went in April, and our plans were to travel again this April.

However, my husband died of sudden cardiac arrest the first week of January. My question is, what can we do about his Annual Pass? I know they are Non-Transferrable, but is there anything that I could do about his pass? Not sure what the standard procedure is in this situation. Also, I'm not really in the mood to plan a trip for April now. Does anyone know if there is a way to use our passes one more time at a later date, due to these circumstances?

Disney World is my little family's happy place, and I know we want to return. I'm just not sure how soon we will be up to doing it one last time without my husband.

I am so sorry for your loss. Please know that while "Disney rules are rules," each case can be handled individually. (We've experienced this in person, so it's not just hearsay.) You might want to try giving Guest Services (or the appropriate equivalent) a call or sending an email to ask what your options are and what to do. Calmly explain all the relevant details, then see what the CM says. If you aren't satisfied with the answers, calmly ask to speak with a supervisor. Just keep going up the chain until you receive an answer you can work with. I do hope that this all works out for you. My condolences to you and your family.

Last edited:
So sorry for your loss
give asking a try, all that they can do is day no.....but maybe you'll get a little pixie dust

So very sorry for your loss. :grouphug:

I agree with the heartfelt letter and hope you get some pixie dust.

I heard some reports that the most that might be expected is to be able to apply a credit to someone else's Annual Passport. Not sure how much that would be if they expire in April, or if you're even interested in renewing such that a credit might be useful.

Oh, my gosh. That is so sad and I hope life gets better for you. Maybe they could extend the pass for another year and let you use the pass.

Well, earlier tonight I called the AP number and was rerouted several times to ticket information. Apparently they were having trouble with their internal system and couldn't transfer me to someone with AP. Anyway, I was told that there was nothing they could do for me, after giving me the run around for about 45 minutes. I didn't think I would be so emotional talking about some silly annual passes.

I did send an email to WDW Guest Services after the phone call though. Hopefully they will treat me a bit better and with a little more respect. It almost seemed like they thought I was trying to take advantage of the situation. That's not it at all. My annual pass was only used for 2 days since it was activated in April. My husband and kids used their passes more, since they went to the Passholder Preview of Galaxy's Edge in August. I'm not really trying to profit from this in any way. I just don't know when I'll be ready to return without my husband going with us. Plus it will probably be our last trip, since I'm a SAHM and I homeschool my kids. Future trips after our passes expire in April are not likely to be in or future. 😢

I'm so sorry for your loss. I don't think they could or would do anything for you in this situation. Your husband and kids used their passes more than once. They got value out of them. It is beyond Disney's control when people pass away after buying tickets.

Very sorry to hear of your husband's sudden passing, Texastiger. :hug:'s My condolences to you, your children, family and friends. God speed for your husband.

I would wait to see what their email response is. I have seen Disney do some pretty remarkable 'guest recoveries' over the many past years. My best to you.

Good grief this is awful, I am so sorry. :hug: Please contact Disney and let them know the circumstances, as Dan said, they can be helpful under difficult circumstances.

Thank you all for the condolences. I was contacted by guest services and they did end up extending our passes for 6 months so that we can wait to come back in early fall. I'm so grateful, because I'm in no shape right now to plan a trip for April. This will work out best for my family. So thankful for one more trip that we can take our time to plan.

Thank you all for the condolences. I was contacted by guest services and they did end up extending our passes for 6 months so that we can wait to come back in early fall. I'm so grateful, because I'm in no shape right now to plan a trip for April. This will work out best for my family. So thankful for one more trip that we can take our time to plan.

Glad they were willing to work with you, and best wishes for your family.
:grouphug:

I am so glad to hear that Disney did get back to you and was able to work out something that could help you.

So glad they were willing to work with you!

DH is currently recovering from his second bout of cancer. And he was quite frankly - rather nervous when I convinced him to buy APs for the two of us this year. He kept asking what if something happened to him? But I have read enough compassionate anecdotes like this that I reassured him that Disney would take care of us if it comes to anything like that. Glad to hear it held true in your case!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!