Annual Passholder Previews REGISTRATION LINK IN FIRST POST-EVENT FULLY BOOKED

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m torn. I am AP and DVC, so on one hand, I’d be interested in any preview or member-only events for those groups, but on the other hand, I’m wondering if it’d be more satisfying to wait until the whole land and the hotel are all open.
I mean the hotel isn't opening for a while, so you'd be waiting a long time!

It's definitely nicer when its a preview. When I went for the AP preview for Pandora there was almost no one in the land, rode both rides 3 times in a row. It was amazing. Having the crowds doesn't make it feel better. And all the CM were in character it was great. It would be nice if they did AP previews again.

Oh, I agree about the crowds. That’s why I am torn - low crowds but only 1/3rd the whole planned experience vs. crazy crowds with the full experience. But if they wound up doing AP/DVC previews for Smuggler’s Run, I wonder if they’d do another preview for Rise of the Resistance. And I wonder if the SW hotel guests would have exclusive Extra Magic Hours for GE.

I mean the hotel isn't opening for a while, so you'd be waiting a long time!

Well, we’ve waited this long......

IMO I think there WILL BE previews. Might be a very short window but I do think they will have some kind of previews. This land is just way too big for there not to be some kind of previews.

TSL is relatively small and they were behind schedule with construction which is why I think they did not have previews.

Pandora is a big land and was a huge deal at opening. SWGE is even bigger than Pandora which is why I think there will be something.

Oh, I agree about the crowds. That’s why I am torn - low crowds but only 1/3rd the whole planned experience vs. crazy crowds with the full experience. But if they wound up doing AP/DVC previews for Smuggler’s Run, I wonder if they’d do another preview for Rise of the Resistance. And I wonder if the SW hotel guests would have exclusive Extra Magic Hours for GE.
I could see them doing previews now, but not for the other ride. It will be a little harder for that since it's just one ride. Maybe they'll pull people off the walkway to test it out randomly, but I don't think they would do something organized.

When previews were done for other openings at WDW - when were they generally done? As in a week before the official opening? 2 weeks? 10 days? Anyone know? I currently have a trip booked that runs through Aug. 21st is why I'm asking. I might want to extend it a day or two if we might hit a preview.

When previews were done for other openings at WDW - when were they generally done? As in a week before the official opening? 2 weeks? 10 days? Anyone know? I currently have a trip booked that runs through Aug. 21st is why I'm asking. I might want to extend it a day or two if we might hit a preview.
Pandora’s were held in the 3ish or so weeks leading up to the opening. I believe all the dates you could register for were in May. Toy Story’s were held after opening since they were behind schedule.

Disneyland not doing AP/DVC previews is par for the course for their late two openings (GotG and Pixar Pier), they did paid previews instead. So it's not a good indicator yea or nay for Disney World. :)
Yeah, what they do in this regard to DL will have no bearing at all for WDW. That doesn't mean WDW will get them by any means just that DL not getting them won't mean WDW won't get them too. Can't jump to any conclusions yet.

For Pandora, we had AP vouchers on our MDE profiles but had not yet activated them. We did NOT get the same email/opportunity to book a preview event that was sent out to other passholders, so I would assume your AP has to actually be active.
Yes, in the past, all AP had to be activated to sign up for any AP events and all attendees had to be current AP holders. You couldn't bring along a guest.

Pandora’s were held in the 3ish or so weeks leading up to the opening. I believe all the dates you could register for were in May. Toy Story’s were held after opening since they were behind schedule.
LOL..... yeah, unfortunately, your only 2 historical cases are total opposites so it is a complete toss-up as to what they'll do this time. My gut says they do something after, like with TSL, because this is opening so much earlier than expected. TSL did too (at least a bit earlier) and I think that's part of why the AP events were after opening. So if they do something for AP here I am guessing it's going to be an after hours (or before hours) event again. Also won't interrupt operating time if they do it that way.

I’m torn. I am AP and DVC, so on one hand, I’d be interested in any preview or member-only events for those groups, but on the other hand, I’m wondering if it’d be more satisfying to wait until the whole land and the hotel are all open.

Seconding a PP previewed Pandora and it was one of my greatest wdw experiences ever. The world does not compare when its crowded to what it was for the preview

When they did the Pandora AP previews, all guests on the reservation had to be a passholder. So I would think it likely that's how it would be this time if they do it.
Pretty much all passholder extras I’ve seen (after hours events, the pandora preview, guaranteed seating for Epcot concerts) required every single attendee to have an AP. In my experience it won’t let you reserve more spots than the Annual pass holders linked to your MDE account.
That only make sense.

I am going this weekend with just hubby and me. I have a trip planned at the end of August with my 2 boys. I have an annual pass. My boys have a dated 8 day park hopper plus for August. Will I be able to upgrade their tickets to annual passes at guest services this weekend, and will I be able to just get annual pass vouchers so the timing won't begin till their first use in August?
Yes you should be able to upgrade their tickets to vouchers-however I’m not sure vouchers (non active passes) allow you to book these special events.
I'm pretty sure the tickets have to be used once before they can be upgraded. But there are way more knowledgeable people on here than me about the ins and outs of tickets so hopefully someone can chime in. There's also a really good thread all about tickets.
Tickets can be upgraded prior to use-they often can’t be upgraded over the phone and may require a visit to guest services
No previews is disappointing. Probably the only way to see the land as meant to be seen for the next 10 years.

Assuming they DO have previews, is it a longshot to even obtain one? I think I remember Pandora AP previews running out in minutes. Are DVC previews easier to come by?
For Pandora the DVC previews lasted longer for booking than the AP ones. If I recall correctly you had to have an onsite visit to participate and you could only bring those on the reservation (DVC member had to be present and had to have theirDVC blue membership card as well)
I would love if they tell us about doing previews or not before my pass expires in May. If they did them and I got them I'd renew. Otherwise I'm letting my pass expire.
I think they announced the pandora previews toward the end of March and they started the first or second week of May so maybe 6 weeks ahead of time they were announced?

My parents and I all had AP vouchers when we signed up for the Pandora preview in March 2017. I activated mine in early May 2017 and my parents activated theirs in late May when we went for the Pandora preview. I found out about the previews from the boards, I never got an email from Disney like some did. Of course this could change with Galaxy’s Edge, but we definitely only had vouchers.

My parents and I all had AP vouchers when we signed up for the Pandora preview in March 2017. I activated mine in early May 2017 and my parents activated theirs in late May when we went for the Pandora preview. I found out about the previews from the boards, I never got an email from Disney like some did. Of course this could change with Galaxy’s Edge, but we definitely only had vouchers.
Good to know

Did they do a DVC event for TSL? Or just Pandora?

Only pandora if I recall correctly. TSL did have a paid D23 event.

Thx. I have an AP, but the rest of my family doesn’t. We don’t have a family WDW trip planned in the immediate future, and I’m not going to buy four APs/vouchers solely on the hope of scoring an invite to an AP GE preview.

I will just cross my fingers for DVC.

Last edited:
I have an AP that will expire on 8/22. I am back on property 8/24 and have an annual pass voucher linked to my name on MDE (I bought it before prices went up). I am on property now and went to guest services and they said that the annual pass has to be active if Galaxy's Edge does have passholder previews. Since mine won't be active, I won't be eligible to reserve. I could just renew before my current annual pass expires and hold on to the voucher but I really don't want to shell out more money without any certainty that there will be any previews at all.

I have an AP that will expire on 8/22. I am back on property 8/24 and have an annual pass voucher linked to my name on MDE (I bought it before prices went up). I am on property now and went to guest services and they said that the annual pass has to be active if Galaxy's Edge does have passholder previews. Since mine won't be active, I won't be eligible to reserve. I could just renew before my current annual pass expires and hold on to the voucher but I really don't want to shell out more money without any certainty that there will be any previews at all.
Can others confirm that for Pandora the AP had to be activated already?

Realize this may simply be speculation on the CM’s part. Since nothing has been announced yet, I’m sure no one knows how it’s actually going to work.

For Pandora the DVC previews lasted longer for booking than the AP ones. If I recall correctly you had to have an onsite visit to participate and you could only bring those on the reservation (DVC member had to be present and had to have theirDVC blue membership card as well)
I think they announced the pandora previews toward the end of March and they started the first or second week of May so maybe 6 weeks ahead of time they were announced?
Do you recall if there was advance notice of the DVC preview (as in, to give folks a chance to book a room) or if you just had to luck into having a room booked for the right date(s)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!