Annual pass renewal

CVTmarie23

Mouseketeer
Does anyone know if I buy an annual pass renewal ahead (like a year or so ahead) if I can just activate it when my current pass is within the 39 day expiration window? ETA: I buy my tickets from Florida AAA so I get vouchers that I can assign to a person whenever I am ready to activate.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if I buy an annual pass renewal ahead (like a year or so ahead) if I can just activate it when my current pass is within the 39 day expiration window?
Renewals are specific to the AP that you currently hold.

You can’t purchase a renewal a year ahead of a pass that may not exist.

Renewals are specific to the AP that you currently hold.

You can’t purchase a renewal a year ahead of a pass that may not exist.

I buy my tickets from AAA and then I can assign my vouchers to whatever person/ticket I choose to. I don't have to buy them for a certain person/ticket. I have bought ahead, but usually only a few months, not years.

I buy my tickets from AAA and then I can assign my vouchers to whatever person/ticket I choose to. I don't have to buy them for a certain person/ticket. I have bought ahead, but usually only a few months, not years.
AP Vouchers can be purchased, saved, and reassigned between guests before they activate.

Renewals aren’t vouchers - they specifically renew an AP that is in use and soon to expire.

AP Vouchers can be purchased, saved, and reassigned between guests before they activate.

Renewals aren’t vouchers - they specifically renew an AP that is in use and soon to expire.
Yes. So I currently have an annual pass that expires the end of September. Can I buy a AAA renewal ticket to use when my current annual pass expires? Can I buy one for the next year as well? If so, do I need to activate the pass at Disney? Or can I do it online? If my pass expires Sept 27, can I activate my AAA renewal ticket up to 30 days after that date?

Yes. So I currently have an annual pass that expires the end of September. Can I buy a AAA renewal ticket to use when my current annual pass expires? Can I buy one for the next year as well? If so, do I need to activate the pass at Disney? Or can I do it online? If my pass expires Sept 27, can I activate my AAA renewal ticket up to 30 days after that date?
Disney doesn’t sell “Renewal Tickets.”

Before your current AP expires, they’ll allow you to RENEW that AP by giving you a discounted rate for your currently held AP. That rate is only good for a specified timeframe - no ticket involved.

If you want to pre-purchase NEW APs, you can buy vouchers and link them to your MDX account. They’ll just sit there until you need to activate a new AP - not a renewal of a current AP.

Before your current AP expires, they’ll allow you to RENEW that AP by giving you a discounted rate for your currently held AP. That rate is only good for a specified timeframe - no ticket involved.
Yup.
Renewals can be purchased up to 60 days (sometimes a bit more) prior to... or up to 30 days after... your current AP expiration date.
Even with the reduced cost, it can sometimes be more advantageous to allow a current AP to expire and just wait to buy a NEW AP at full price at such time as your next trip time nears.

If you want to pre-purchase NEW APs, you can buy vouchers and link them to your MDX account. They’ll just sit there until you need to activate a new AP - not a renewal of a current AP.

Ok, sorry I am so confused. Through AAA I am able to purchase renewal price annual prices for the gold pass which is $515 vs the $583 for the gold annual pass. My current annual pass expires in Sept. If I buy the renewal price to use after my current pass expires will that work? Can I purchase another renewal priced one right now (the system allows this), for sept 2020-2021? or if I want to buy ahead do I need to purchase new passes vs the renewal rate passes? The AAA system will allow me to purchase renewal price and new ones with no restrictions. This is all it says:

Disney Gold Pass
Renewal Passes

You can keep the fun going all year long, when you renew your pass up to 30 days after your pass expiration date.

Admission for Florida residents to the Magic Kingdom® Park, Epcot®, Disney's Hollywood Studios® and Disney's Animal Kingdom® Theme Park, with the freedom to visit multiple parks on the same day, for a period of one (1) year starting with of first use of this Ticket, except on the block-out dates. For example, the block-out dates in effect at the Magic Kingdom® Park, Epcot®, Disney's Animal Kingdom® Theme Park and Disney's Hollywood Studios® for Florida Resident Disney Gold Passes are as follows:

• April 13, 2019 — April 26, 2019
• December 19, 2019 — December 31, 2019
• January 1, 2020 — January 2, 2020

Future Block-out dates shall be determined by Disney in Disney’s sole and absolute discretion; provided, however, that the number of block-out dates in 2019 shall not exceed 40 days, and the number of block-out dates in 2020 shall not exceed 40 days.

Standard theme park parking is included. Also includes unlimited digital downloads of photos taken during the One (1) year period and linked to the guest's Disney account.

Ok, sorry I am so confused. Through AAA I am able to purchase renewal price annual prices for the gold pass which is $515 vs the $583 for the gold annual pass. My current annual pass expires in Sept. If I buy the renewal price to use after my current pass expires will that work? Can I purchase another renewal priced one right now (the system allows this), for sept 2020-2021? or if I want to buy ahead do I need to purchase new passes vs the renewal rate passes? The AAA system will allow me to purchase renewal price and new ones with no restrictions. This is all it says:

Disney Gold Pass
Renewal Passes

You can keep the fun going all year long, when you renew your pass up to 30 days after your pass expiration date.

Admission for Florida residents to the Magic Kingdom® Park, Epcot®, Disney's Hollywood Studios® and Disney's Animal Kingdom® Theme Park, with the freedom to visit multiple parks on the same day, for a period of one (1) year starting with of first use of this Ticket, except on the block-out dates. For example, the block-out dates in effect at the Magic Kingdom® Park, Epcot®, Disney's Animal Kingdom® Theme Park and Disney's Hollywood Studios® for Florida Resident Disney Gold Passes are as follows:

• April 13, 2019 — April 26, 2019
• December 19, 2019 — December 31, 2019
• January 1, 2020 — January 2, 2020

Future Block-out dates shall be determined by Disney in Disney’s sole and absolute discretion; provided, however, that the number of block-out dates in 2019 shall not exceed 40 days, and the number of block-out dates in 2020 shall not exceed 40 days.

Standard theme park parking is included. Also includes unlimited digital downloads of photos taken during the One (1) year period and linked to the guest's Disney account.
Only you had the above AAA info so all respondents in this thread had no idea what info AAA presented.

You may want to call WDW AP HelpDesk for better assistance.

Yup.
Renewals can be purchased up to 60 days (sometimes a bit more) prior to... or up to 30 days after... your current AP expiration date.
Even with the reduced cost, it can sometimes be more advantageous to allow a current AP to expire and just wait to buy a NEW AP at full price at such time as your next trip time nears.

This is my preference. I try to plan a trip near the expiration and I won't need to go back for a while. We just got new APs and I have 4 trips planned out with more to come. When the year ends we will take a break from WDW for a little while. Better than the discount to me.

Of course the OP lives in FL. That might make a difference. BUT - Let's say I activate a pass on 9/20 and then next year on 9/20 it expires. If I can bare to wait and if I visited enough through the seasons - I could wait 4-6-8 months to activate a new one and it will be good for the next 12 months. A gap saves me more money than the discount.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!