Annual Pass, Premier Pass or Upgrade Later?

KSNebraskan

Earning My Ears
My husband and I going to Disney World in December for a 4 day holiday visit. We also have plans for a three day visit to Disneyland in August. Debating about what to do for park tickets.

Note: I'm the Disney fan. Along with these planned trips, I have a couple frequent flyer airplane tickets saved up. I also get 4 weeks of vacation from my employer and have been thinking about working in couple weekend get-aways on my own.

My question: Should I buy annual pass for Disney World when we're there in December? Or get a Premier pass in December?

Is it possible to upgrade a Disney World annual pass to a Premier pass later in the year? And if so, does the expiration date get extended?

This will be my first annual pass and I'm anxious to get maximum benefit!

I would suggest first figuring out what passes will cost you for your planned trips. Take into consideration also that with an AP you can get room, dining and shopping discounts.

I would get the WDW AP first. You can upgrade to a Premier at any time during the year. But any upgrade is a "continuation" ticket, so its effective date (and thus expiration) are based on the date of first use of the first ticket in the chain.

You might want to look at the Everything About WDW Tickets locked sticky in the TPA&S Forum. Especially the items bolded in the list below.

Post and Contents

1. This Table of Contents
2. Magic Your Way (MYW) Ticket Basics Including Definitions
3. Annual Passes and Water Park Tickets
4. Tickets Available Only to Florida Residents
5. Tickets Not Available to the General Public
6. Upgrading MYW Tickets (Not to Annual Passes)
7. Upgrading Tickets to Annual Passes
8. Dealing With Tickets Issued Prior to 1 January 2005 (Pre-MYW)
9. Children and Adults
10. Special Events
11. Comprehensive MYW Ticket Example
12. Hotel Card (Key To The World (KTTW))
13. Lost Tickets
14. Finger Scans
15. Frequently Asked Ticket Questions.
15A. Hopping Rules
15B. WPF&M With No Expire
15C. No Expire Upgrades
15D. Upgrading an Unused Ticket
15E. Upgrading Special Tickets
15F. Checking on Old Tickets
15G. Renewing Annual Passes
15H. Upgrading a Completely Used Ticket
15I. Getting Park Tickets Before Package Start Date
16. 2010 Give A Day, Get A Day Promotion
17. 2010/2011 Armed Forces Salute Tickets
18. Prices Effective August 5, 2010
19. "Free" Tickets and Special Promotions
20. Ticket Purchase/Upgrade Locations and Telephones
21. Florida Resident Installment Purchases of Annual Passes

To get there directly, follow the link in my signature.

A follow up question -- Are the benefits/discounts of the Annual DisneyWorld Pass the same as the Premier benefits at DisneyWorld on food and merchandise? Also can an Annual pass purchased through DVC be upgraded to a Premier pass?

It's a great day to be alive,
Carol

1. The Disney Premier Pass is equal to and all the benefits of the Walt Disney World Premium Annual Pass plus the Disneyland Resort Premium Annal Pass.

2. You can upgrade to the DPP from any WDW or DLR pass. Note that by definition an upgrade is taking one ticket and adding cash (or similar) and ending up with one ticket with more entitlements. You cannot combine two tickets to get one ticket with more features.*

* The only exception to this rule is at the water parks (or DQ) where you can combine a one day water park (or DQ) ticket with a base or hopping MYW ticket and a payment to end up with a MYW ticket with the WPF&M option. Your payment will be the difference in price between the one day water park (or DQ) ticket and the cost of the WPF&M option plus tax on the difference.

If we are staying off property with a rental car, is there any place that we can pick up an annual pass without paying for parking that first day?

Thanks.

-- Eric

If we are staying off property with a rental car, is there any place that we can pick up an annual pass without paying for parking that first day?

Thanks.

-- Eric
You can get the AP at Downtown Disney and you won't have to pay for parking.
I have also seen posts by the expert Cheshire Figment say that you will be refunded the parking fee when you purchase the AP at a park. Just show the CM your receipt.

Hello,

I have a “Give a Day Get a Day” ticket that I plan to redeem this Saturday, December 11th at the Magic Kingdom. I am an annual passholder whos annual pass expires January 22, 2011 so I would like to renew my annual pass on around this December 23rd of this year.

Am I able to use my Give A Day pass to do this? I saw on the “Give a Day Get a Day” website that you can upgrade the ticket, but I wasn’t sure if I had to upgrade the GAGA ticket the day I redeem my volunteer voucher December 11th or can I enter the park with the GAGA ticket that I am given on December 11, 2010 and return within two weeks with this ticket to upgrade and renew my annual Disney World pass.

Any feedback you could give me on this would be great

The one day, one park, ticket which you are issued for a GAD voucher must be used that day or it becomes void. However, once it is used you would then have 14 days (including the day of redemption) to use it for an upgrade. If you get (and use) the ticket on December 11, you have up to December 24 to do the upgrade.

When you are redeeming the voucher, have your AP with you. Ask (nicely) if they can do your renewal of the AP early. However, the new AP will not be valid until the expiration date of the new one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter