Annual Pass Members Get Screwed...

Ok I clearly have to tap out of this thread as I can't get my point across. My last words here will be that as an AP member ,I should at least get a discount equivalent to the best general public offer - free dining or a discount of roughly equivalent value. Doesn't have to be over and above, just equivalent. Maybe things will change for July stays at some point - but as of now I can't take advantage of the most lucrative general public offer. Makes no sense and devalues AP holders. Kirk out.

But you can. You can take advantage of any discount offered, however you need to adhere to the discount restrictions. In your case you will need to add tickets for the minimum amount of days allowed. I needed to do this when I secured FD and had two of my group who did not need tickets. Everyone in the room must be on the same package, therefore I ended up with two extra hoppers. I hope to use them, however I have no idea if the changes in policy will allow for that. You could use your passes the same way, as was already pointed out to you. Tommy, I know you think that we are not getting your point, but if I have not, I wish you could find the words to explain it to me, because right now it seems that you want the best of both Worlds,

Tommy, I know you think that we are not getting your point,

Oh we all get his points all right.

1. Nobody should ever get a better deal than an annual pass holder gets.
2. He’s embarrassed in front of his traveling companions.

1. He can think that all he wants. But Disney never offered that as part of the purchase of an annual pass. He just refuses to acknowledge that little fact.

2. He could point out all the benefits he gets with the AP, specifically up to 366 days of park hopping admissions. He just refuses to acknowledge that the AP & it’s benefits have value equal to or greater than the value of a week of free dining.

We just don’t agree with his points.

Why does Disney need to offer you the free dining plan when they already know they've got your guaranteed custom, being a AP and DVC member, when they could use it to entice Joe Bloggs to take his kids to WDW for the first time and possibly enjoy it enough that they keep returning or buy a AP or buy into DVC, just like you?
I don't think it is that way. I do believe that Disney releases offers based on WDW needs, and not based on individual wants. If they have rooms they need to fill they offer discounts. It is not about passholders or general public, it is about rooms occupancy,. Period.

Ok I clearly have to tap out of this thread as I can't get my point across. My last words here will be that as an AP member ,I should at least get a discount equivalent to the best general public offer - free dining or a discount of roughly equivalent value. Doesn't have to be over and above, just equivalent. Maybe things will change for July stays at some point - but as of now I can't take advantage of the most lucrative general public offer. Makes no sense and devalues AP holders. Kirk out.

I think that most people here understand your point, myself included. We just disagree with your logic. Annual Passholders aren't special nor entitled to better perks than anyone else. And yes, my family has APs, too. We did not buy them to get perks. We bought them so that we could come back to WDW multiple times throughout the year.

I guess we will all agree to disagree. But if you guys were in my shoes - going with another family with identical itinerary (non AP) - and they get a killer deal vs my 15% off (no AP special discount, a discount that is available to everyone) - I think you'd be right there with me. I should be able to get something roughly equivalent to free dining.

OP I see some of where you are coming from. Free Dining can be a very good discount, especially in the old days. It was the reason we stopped doing annual passes for a few years. For my family of four, staying moderate or value it was always the better discount. So I gave up annual passes and we did base tickets.

But things have changed. Now it just me and my husband, sometimes my dd22 comes as well. My son no longer goes, he was the big eater that made FD so enticing for us. Annual passes give us discounts on merchandise, food and better rates than they used to. I had weight loss surgery so I usually eat a kids meal or share off my husband. You can't do base tickets anymore. And the last time I attempted to book free dining I wasn't able because they released very few rooms. I told my TA to book us any week at any moderate during the promo but we couldn't get it. I have always been able to get AP rates easily.

To me the big discount of an annual Pass is the price you pay each day you go to a park. We generally do three trips on our passes. If I was buying tickets, I'd be needing more than free dining to make that work. Now I will say, we're about to swing back again. We aren't thinking we'll go as much in the next few years. So an annual pass won't make sense. But my current annual Pass will have given me approximately 27 park days, a nice discount at CSR for one of my trips and merchandise and dining discounts, plus the memory maker for all three trips. I really feel I got my money's worth this time around.

Bottom line maybe you should forgo the annual passes next time and try for free dining. Disney discounts aren't one size fits all. Things change as they have with us.

Last edited:

You got your point across, posters in this thread don't agree with you.

Years ago dining was a great deal. It included appetizer and tip. Candlelight and Fantasmic Dining Packages were only 1 credit. You couldn't even pay for the dining package unless you booked a package including tickets. I opted not to purchase an AP.

Disney offers "free dining" as way to sell packages, including tickets. A promotion to induce families to book a vacation. Customers who purchased an AP don't need as many incentives.

AP holders get dining discounts, discounts on some tours, frequently room discounts and memory maker. It sounds like you have buyers remorse. Your second guessing your decision to buy an AP. Learn from your "mistakes"
How many days will you using your AP? What's your average cost per day?

Free Dining always required purchasing tickets. What were you thinking when you bought your AP?

I know you are gone :wave2: but I think you are not getting our points. Your benefit to your AP (all other stuff aside as you say) is 365 day tickets for ballpark non-FL $900. If you went every day, which you can, it would mean you paid $2.47 per day. How is that fair to those folks paying much much more. So let's just say that you only go for 3 weeks a year or 21 days. You are paying $42 per day PLUS getting all the perks. Your friends are likely paying $72+ per day (6 day trip) with no extra perks. How is that fair?

You choose to have an AP, and all the discounts that allows.
You are choosing not to get Free Dining (even though you can) where you can use the tickets/value later.

NO NO NO your discount should not equal another discount ... they aren't linked, it isn't equality for all, AP holders are no special when it comes to hotels & dining (which are separate profit centers) ..... but especially not when you can use that discount. I did it for years.

But you can. You can take advantage of any discount offered, however you need to adhere to the discount restrictions. In your case you will need to add tickets for the minimum amount of days allowed. I needed to do this when I secured FD and had two of my group who did not need tickets. Everyone in the room must be on the same package, therefore I ended up with two extra hoppers. I hope to use them, however I have no idea if the changes in policy will allow for that. You could use your passes the same way, as was already pointed out to you. Tommy, I know you think that we are not getting your point, but if I have not, I wish you could find the words to explain it to me, because right now it seems that you want the best of both Worlds,

^^THIS

Disney doesn't offer all this to be nice and cuddly, they do it for business purposes and to get guests who wouldn't come otherwise or it's enough to entice them to finally come.

I think that most people here understand your point, myself included. We just disagree with your logic. Annual Passholders aren't special nor entitled to better perks than anyone else. And yes, my family has APs, too. We did not buy them to get perks. We bought them so that we could come back to WDW multiple times throughout the year.

^^THIS

Last edited:

That’s great my friend. But my discount is around $100 per night, that’s why I’m not happy. Maybe the discount will be higher for July once they roll them out but I’m not counting on it.

Based on the current discount, I am betting you will get something better. We got WL for $245 a night (which included the $25 extra for my adult daughter) last July. Very nice deal. You do have to be flexible, but that goes with any discount. For our upcoming trip I switched from my first choice of French Quarter to CSR. It saved me over $1,000 for our ten nights, making CSR look more appealing than ever. Best of luck to you with getting something that makes you feel better about your annual passes.

You don’t know you won’t. Seems your complaint is a little premature. AP holders have their own discounts that are available to them. If you don’t like the discounts, don’t buy an AP. It’s always been my experience that the AP discount tops any offer they make. Personally, free dining is not a deal imo, not compared to AP discounts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter