Annoyed, charged out of pocket for CRT on the dining plan

As a PP said how much clearer does it have to be?
It says if you want to book with a dining plan CALL.
You didn't therefore it charged you out of pocket because it didn't know you were on the dining plan.
LOL, I've said multiple times that I think they should disclose online that people on the dining plan will now be charged, since in the past people on the dining plan were not charged. Saying "the website is unable to book" does not scream to me that I will be charged. Since the system allowed me to make the reservation (my dining plan is linked), I assumed all was fine. Same as when I logged in this morning and saw a message that the website was down, yet it still allowed me to make my dining reservations. I do feel if Disney changes their policy, they should make it a little more clear. Policy change and glitch are not the same IMO. When we called in after the fact, we were told it was a glitch and they are refunding my debit card (yet letting me keep the reservation). It is only now on the disboards I'm hearing it is a policy change and not a glitch so I'm still not clear what is going on!

I’m still confused. How was the message below unclear? It literally says you should call to book pre-paid dining experiences through the dining plan. You just disregarded this message and continued? Of course you were charged because this says you should not book online.

What would make it better? If they added “If you proceed you will be charged?” They’re already telling you to call.

Guests are temporarily unable to book pre-paid dining experiences with dining plans online. Tobook a pre-paid dining experience with your Disney Dining Plan, please call the Disney Reservation Center at (407) 939-3463.

Yes, I think they should add the disclaimer that if you proceed, you will be charged. I've had enough issues with the Disney website that "things aren't working correctly" doesn't mean a whole lot to me. Things are never working right, lol.

And if you disagree with me, that is fine!
Now you have me wondering if we really did get charged. Oh well, I guess if we get a big refund after our trip I’ll know. I’m too lazy to go look at our credit card statement. I clicked the same thing as what’s shown in your picture when I made my ADR.

LOL, I've said multiple times that I think they should disclose online that people on the dining plan will now be charged, since in the past people on the dining plan were not charged.
They do disclose that everyone gets charged. I don’t think they need a special message for people on the dining plan when there’s a different, special message for people on the dining plan.

LOL, I've said multiple times that I think they should disclose online that people on the dining plan will now be charged, since in the past people on the dining plan were not charged. Saying "the website is unable to book" does not scream to me that I will be charged. Since the system allowed me to make the reservation (my dining plan is linked), I assumed all was fine. Same as when I logged in this morning and saw a message that the website was down, yet it still allowed me to make my dining reservations. I do feel if Disney changes their policy, they should make it a little more clear. Policy change and glitch are not the same IMO. When we called in after the fact, we were told it was a glitch and they are refunding my debit card (yet letting me keep the reservation). It is only now on the disboards I'm hearing it is a policy change and not a glitch so I'm still not clear what is going on!
It really doesn't matter if your dining plan is linked. You still need to select the option of paying with your dining plan - rather than being charged up front to your CC- when you make your reservation. Sounds like that option was temporarily unavailable - hence the message to call in. Many guests choose not to use their linked dining plan when paying for a meal if they want to pay OOP for it. Disney would have no way of knowing you didn't want to pay OOP - they will charge whatever card is linked on your account when making any ADR with a pre pay requirement. Seeing this message I would have called in.

**edited - I see your screen shot now and see you still were selecting the dining plan. I get your confusion but I still stand by going with the alert message they provided to call in.

I believe you have to call to ensure that you actually do want to use Dining plan credits. If it automatically held Dining credits, then someone else would be in here just as angry because they wanted to use their credits elsewhere and were planning to pay OOP for CRT.

I thought I would upload a picture of how my reservation looks. They must have changed their policy recently because I made my ADR at the end of August.

Yes, this is new. In the past we never got charged for prepaid dining when on dining plan.

You can still pay with the dining plan when you arrive, but you won't get the refund for the prepayment until then.

There was a warning, but all it mentions is that reservations are unavailable for guests on the dining plan. There is no mention of your credit (or in my case, debit) card being immediately charged. This is the message on the Disney site:

Guests are temporarily unable to book pre-paid dining experiences with dining plans online. To book a pre-paid dining experience with your Disney Dining Plan, please call the Disney Reservation Center at (407) 939-3463.

You are saying it’s unavailable for *guests* with the plan.

It says you are unable to book it WITH the Dining plan.

They mean two different things.

You can have a dining plan and book online. And you will pay cash. There are plenty who think using two TS credits is ridiculous for it, and will pay cash instead. They have the plan and can book online.

YOU wanted to USE the plan to book crt. And that is exactly what that message is saying you cannot do right now. That message was specifically for you.

If you can’t use the plan to book online, what else is going to happen when you book it online?

Disney isn’t going to say “you’ll be charged” up front. This is as close to a glaring blaring “warning warning alert alert” as they get.

I thought this was how it always was with this one and the dinner shows like Hoop Dee Do and Aloha. And then when you arrived it used your credits and refunded your money. Interesting.

It’s not how it always is. It’s a glitch that comes and goes and has been doing so for ages.

At least now they have a bright and beautiful alert on their website telling people that you have to call if you want to use your dining plan to book!!!

Also, why did I go ahead with the booking? Because CRT is a hard to get reservation. Why else did I wake up at 5:00 a.m. to make my 180 + 10 dining reservations? LOL. Just trying to let others know that this is the current policy.

It’s been a talked about glitch for awhile. Bummer you hadn’t seen the posts.

The message told you to call. We know why you were up so early, that’s what we do. But the message said to call. :)

Because the message they have now does not scream that to me, and I've booked prepay reservations in the past with the dining plan and was not charged.

Did you make those ADRs with that message showing? I doubt it.

I was expecting a hold on my CC, so i’m Glad to hear it will be refunded

Well I did the exact same thing. I didn’t see the message on the page before the page where I put my cc number in. Mine was also a debit card. How long did it take you till you got a refund?

Well I did the exact same thing. I didn’t see the message on the page before the page where I put my cc number in. Mine was also a debit card. How long did it take you till you got a refund?
You can still pay with the dining plan when you arrive, but you won't get the refund for the prepayment until then.

So you should be refunded when you actually walk into CRT and fulfill your end of the reservation :) Hence why Disney always wants you to retain the method of payment used in case they have to refund you anything ;)

So my 180 opened today. I made all my reservations and was happy with them, until my husband called wondering why we had a few large charges from Disney? After calling and inquiring, it turns out there is a glitch in the system. Guests on the dining plan will be charged immediately for CRT bookings made online, the only way to avoid this is to call in your reservation. The cast member stated that there was a warning on the Disney website. There was a warning, but all it mentions is that reservations are unavailable for guests on the dining plan. There is no mention of your credit (or in my case, debit) card being immediately charged. This is the message on the Disney site:

Guests are temporarily unable to book pre-paid dining experiences with dining plans online. To book a pre-paid dining experience with your Disney Dining Plan, please call the Disney Reservation Center at (407) 939-3463.

I saw the message when booking and assumed that since the website allowed me to book, all was well. The Disney website is very often wonky, after all! I feel the warning should have been more clear, that if booking with a dining plan, you will be charged out of pocket. Since I was holding the reservation with a debit card and not a credit card, and I booked both a breakfast and lunch because I wasn't sure yet which time would work with BBB, that is a good chunk of change. They did fix it and refund us, but since it was a debit card and not a credit card, it will take several days for the money to show back up in our account. Anyway, I just want to warn others on the dining plan!

As I said before, when I logged on this morning to make my 180 + 10 dining reservations, there was a message that the website was down. Yet it still allowed me to make them. And I sure hope the reservations I made are legit, LOL! The Disney website is very glitchy, I don't know how often you go on there, but I've said many times that I'm surprised that a company as rich as Disney has a website with so many...issues. I just think they should add that your card will be charged if you are on the dining plan and you book online. Because the message they have now does not scream that to me, and I've booked prepay reservations in the past with the dining plan and was not charged.

Yes, I think they should add the disclaimer that if you proceed, you will be charged. I've had enough issues with the Disney website that "things aren't working correctly" doesn't mean a whole lot to me. Things are never working right, lol.
-------------------------------------------
Various posters' points are with the message. You attempting to book is at your own risk.

If I saw that message...I would be calling regardless of whether the system allows it at that time. The reason? I want to make sure all is well with what I'm trying to do. If their computer system tells me to call if I want to use my dining plan then that's what I'm going to do.

Sounds like you saw it was working and assumed all was well. I would have heeded the message and either called or tried again at a later time when the system didn't have that message.

Respectfully the message was quite clear-you disregarded it and were charged-there's no need to rewrite a message that was clear in the first place because you disregarded it. Just know for the next time :)

And please don't transfer blame to Disney's website-meaning your numbness to 'things aren't working correctly'.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter