Annoyed by Phone Addicted Park Goers

Just got back from a lengthy stay at WDW and the biggest annoyance wasn't the long lines or hefty prices.....it was phone addicted park goers. Now, I realize that Disney has set it up that you can use your Dis App for practically everything. In fact, it was a huge help, worked great and I didn't have to keep a paper plan with me at all times. BUT that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about people who answer phone calls in the middle of rides and shows. People who scroll facebook in the middle of the haunted mansion and other dark rides. People who are looking down at their phone while they walk and run into you. On every Disney pack list it says to pack an extra external battery. Even with using the Disney app a ton my phone never got down less than 50% days end. I heard on the news that Americans check their phone every 12 min and I believe it now. In fact, I said to my husband, that I'm totally convinced that Disney can get away with so many long wait times now because people have a boredom machine in their pocket that they can pull out whenever in line. Does anybody else have any good phone stories from the park?
Curious, how would you know guests are on Facebook in the Haunted Mansion or other dark attractions? Yes, people need their phones for the app, no question about that. Yes I have seen phones out on attractions, but it's none of my business what the guest is on. If I'm not looking down at their phone, that small screen isn't lighting up the entire room. True a call can be distracting but I don't know who's on the other end. Is it an emergency or their child checking in? I don't judge because I can be in their shoes one day. Actually was, coming out of ET back in early 2000s I got a call from my mom. She was back in the hospital, her cancer returned. What bothers me is the flash photography ;) no excuses for that on a dark ride

Not to stir the pot on this issue - but Disney seems to be headed in the "pro-phone" direction with the release of the Play Disney app last week that's focused on the parks. Among other things, the app includes ride-themed mini games (many multiplayer) that can only be played in the park (and ostensibly while you're in line for some of those rides with longer queues). Sort of like the trivia game for the Soarin queue (which is included in the app) - but expanded. The idea it seems is to explore the parks more deeply while there through your phone - and not just through a practical app like MDE. Trivia, playlists, ride achievements, mini games, interactive features (like conservation guided tours through AK or the Agent P missions in Epcot) - all appear aimed to have guests in the park use their phones more, not less.

Unfortunately, there seems to be a common theme among some groups that "My way is the only right way," with complete disregard that not everyone has the same outlook or experiences the world in the same way they do. Me, I tend to be a phone guy. I like my phone. I like that it lets me play games, look up information on the fly, keep up with the current vernacular and slang, connect with people across the world, take photos and videos to share my life with others, etc. It's a fantastic device which simplifies and eliminates the need to carry around a bunch of devices to do the same.

I'm also not a jerk. So I turn it off in the movies, I don't use my flash on rides, I make every effort to not block someone else's view with photographing or recording (and to be out of the way if someone else is doing those things.)

It's all about consideration for others, and it's a multi-way street.

Those people staring at their phones as they walk...one of them is probably me. Usually because I'm in Hollywood studios and trying to figure out where Star Tours disappeared to this time before my fast pass window closes so I have to follow the little you-are-here dot until it takes me to my destination. I do try to be aware of my surroundings and not run into people, however. But for the directionally challenged, that cell phone can be a massive time saver.

As far as the food thing, I personally love pictures of food, and I'm happy others posts give me the opportunity to actually see the dishes and make mental notes as to what I might be interested in. Someone else's pictures might make me interested in something I wouldn't have considered, or help me avoid something that isn't what I would have expected.

I take lots of food pictures on my trips, but I generally don't post them online unless it's something special in one way or another. But I have all my photos in a loop on a digital picture frame so I can see and remember. My picture of an empty Starbucks iced coffee with a half inch of sugar at the bottom may be ridiculous to everyone else, but for me it's a reminder of that day, the airport, the friendly woman at the counter, the insanely sweet drink I ended up with, etc, which I may have forgotten if it weren't for a picture of a mostly empty coffee cup.

It's a reminder of a good day and a fun trip. It brings me happiness. I figure, as long as it isn't interfering with anyone else's view/enjoyment of a dark ride/show/etc, I'll just keep taking photos of whatever I want.

(And if anyone ever tries to mess up my photo because they think their opinion matters more than my memories of a good time, well, the following photo of my food on their head would probably make up for it.)

Just got back from a lengthy stay at WDW and the biggest annoyance wasn't the long lines or hefty prices.....it was phone addicted park goers. Now, I realize that Disney has set it up that you can use your Dis App for practically everything. In fact, it was a huge help, worked great and I didn't have to keep a paper plan with me at all times. BUT that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about people who answer phone calls in the middle of rides and shows. People who scroll facebook in the middle of the haunted mansion and other dark rides. People who are looking down at their phone while they walk and run into you. On every Disney pack list it says to pack an extra external battery. Even with using the Disney app a ton my phone never got down less than 50% days end. I heard on the news that Americans check their phone every 12 min and I believe it now. In fact, I said to my husband, that I'm totally convinced that Disney can get away with so many long wait times now because people have a boredom machine in their pocket that they can pull out whenever in line. Does anybody else have any good phone stories from the park?

I'm pretty much annoyed at most people and their cell phones at this point, not just at Disney. Tired of people driving while on their phone, talking on their phone so loud that I can hear their entire conversations no matter where I am (restaurant, store, movies, etc., take your pick), and checking their phones non stop no matter where they are or who they are with.

It's rude and inconsiderate.

Not to stir the pot on this issue - but Disney seems to be headed in the "pro-phone" direction with the release of the Play Disney ap last week that's focused on the parks. Among other things, the app includes ride-themed mini games (many multiplayer) that can only be played in the park (and ostensibly while you're in line for some of those rides with longer queues). Sort of like the trivia game for the Soarin queue (which is included in the app) - but expanded. The idea it seems is to explore the parks more deeply while there through your phone - and not just through a practical app like MDE. Trivia, playlists, ride achievements, mini games, interactive features (like conservation guided tours through AK othe Agent P missions in Epcot) - all appear aimed to have guests in the park use their phones more, not less.

I was a little surprised when they rolled out Disney Play. I think it may be handy for people to use while they wait in lines just as a way to pass the time, but a lot of guests are clueless to their surroundings even when they aren’t distracted by a phone (stopping randomly in the walkways, running in to people because they are too busy yapping, etc). Between the people staring at their phones, the guests who are oblivious to their surroundings, and the kamikaze strollers...this could get kind of ugly lol

I was a little surprised when they rolled out Disney Play. I think it may be handy for people to use while they wait in lines just as a way to pass the time, but a lot of guests are clueless to their surroundings even when they aren’t distracted by a phone (stopping randomly in the walkways, running in to people because they are too busy yapping, etc). Between the people staring at their phones, the guests who are oblivious to their surroundings, and the kamikaze strollers...this could get kind of ugly lol
Or like the gentleman I saw not so long ago who was moving slowly upstream against the flow of traffic exiting Adventure Land pushing a double stroller with eyes glued to his phone as he pinballed through the crowd. He hit the trifecta - maybe there’s an achievement for that on Play Disney :laughing: I was surprised by the app as well - I doubt it’ll catch on significantly but agree there are already plenty of distractions (phone and otherwise) for most of us in the parks.

Or like the gentleman I saw not so long ago who was moving slowly upstream against the flow of traffic exiting Adventure Land pushing a double stroller with eyes glued to his phone as he pinballed through the crowd. He hit the trifecta - maybe there’s an achievement for that on Play Disney :laughing:

Ugh that made me twitch just reading it lol

I'm pretty much annoyed at most people and their cell phones at this point, not just at Disney. Tired of people driving while on their phone, talking on their phone so loud that I can hear their entire conversations no matter where I am (restaurant, store, movies, etc., take your pick), and checking their phones non stop no matter where they are or who they are with.

It's rude and inconsiderate.
And dangerous....
Today, as I was walking into our Kroger store, a thirty something couple was ahead of me.
He walked into the produce section through the inner doors while she, absorbed in her cell phone, walked into the wall along the cart storage area.
I just stopped and stared.
He asked what the hell she was doing and then looked at me and shook his head.
My hope is that people like her don't harm anyone else when their inevitable Darwin moment occurs.

:laughing:

Tell that to my mom who will be 60 this year and is twice my age. She's the one on FB all the time, we'll be at lunch or dinner and she's texting, on FB, checking e-mail, etc.

Tell it to my mother-in-law who is 63 and will play FB videos with the volume up in cars, on FB all the time, etc

Don't get me wrong I check my phone but the older people around me have been on their phones more often than me for at least the last several years.
my 75 year old father is worse then a teenager ( his grandkids) when it comes to his phones.... but he likes to watch the news on tv before but now with a phone, there is where he gets his news. So is makes sense he is on it all the time...not on social media but for research or reading.

BUT that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about people who answer phone calls in the middle of rides and shows. People who scroll facebook in the middle of the haunted mansion and other dark rides. People who are looking down at their phone while they walk and run into you.

That's ridiculous if they are disrupting a ride/show by using their phone. I would tell them off. I don't see an issue with using your phone while waiting in line. Yeah, I talk to my husband who is with me, but sometimes we just want to catch up on some things, I want to post pictures, etc. But in line is the only place for that. What is the point of going if you are going to be staring at your phone while doing the very things you came to do??

Or like the gentleman I saw not so long ago who was moving slowly upstream against the flow of traffic exiting Adventure Land pushing a double stroller with eyes glued to his phone as he pinballed through the crowd. He hit the trifecta - maybe there’s an achievement for that on Play Disney :laughing: I was surprised by the app as well - I doubt it’ll catch on significantly but agree there are already plenty of distractions (phone and otherwise) for most of us in the parks.

This could have been avoided if the culprit was wearing a Virtual Reality headset with lane departure detection and “Bliss” blind spot detection like I have on my Ford Escape. :) Can you imagine if the park was full of people in VR as opposed to staring at their phones? Could it come to that?

And dangerous.... Today, as I was walking into our Kroger store, a thirty something couple was ahead of me.
He walked into the produce section through the inner doors while she, absorbed in her cell phone, walked into the wall along the cart storage area.

Oh cmon, that stuff never happens... :)

giphy.gif

This could have been avoided if the culprit was wearing a Virtual Reality headset with lane departure detection and “Bliss” blind spot detection like I have on my Ford Escape. :) Can you imagine if the park was full of people in VR as opposed to staring at their phones? Could it come to that?

I could definitely see that happening with AR. I don't think VR will ever be designed to leave a designated play area.

I make my own T shirts for my trips and two shirts i have really wanted to make have been 'How much did your vacation cost to spend it staring at a screen?' and 'Talk to your kids, not to your phone' But, I wouldn't have the nerve to wear them because someone will be offended. I only used my phone to get extra FP+ or mobile order food. I'm not on FB and I don't have Twitter on my phone. It is ignorant and dangerous to check your phone while getting off a ride and I had to ask a woman in front of me in Pixar at Epcot to turn her phone off because she had it on even when she wasn't looking at it. I don't even record shows or fireworks anymore since I realised i never watch them anyway and there are better quality ones on Youtube. Life's too short to be looking at it through a screen.

Unfortunately, there seems to be a common theme among some groups that "My way is the only right way," with complete disregard that not everyone has the same outlook or experiences the world in the same way they do. Me, I tend to be a phone guy. I like my phone. I like that it lets me play games, look up information on the fly, keep up with the current vernacular and slang, connect with people across the world, take photos and videos to share my life with others, etc. It's a fantastic device which simplifies and eliminates the need to carry around a bunch of devices to do the same.

I'm also not a jerk. So I turn it off in the movies, I don't use my flash on rides, I make every effort to not block someone else's view with photographing or recording (and to be out of the way if someone else is doing those things.)

It's all about consideration for others, and it's a multi-way street.

This. This. THIS.

We don't have to agree but we should be considerate of one another.

Do not take phones on vacation. But still sick of this question

Not having a phone is not an option. That's as bizarre to me as not bringing pants. It's a useful tool that is a map, communication, camera, etc. Just because some people are irresponsible is no reason to ditch it all together.

This thread belongs in multiple places - just happened to see it scrolling the boards for "latest posts" in all the categories.

This probably holds true as much if not more for families - parents or grandparents wanting to take pictures of kids' reactions while in a show or ride.

In fact, I never thought about this - but unfortunately I can see this happening during our upcoming trip with two of my granddaughters. Not my son or DIL, but my wife! (Lucky for me she doesn't read these boards!:)

I will try to politely remind her that everyone else paid the same enormous prices for tickets etc and taking pictures or posting or checking posts etc could spoil their enjoyment.

(It may not go well.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter