Annoyed by Phone Addicted Park Goers

Who calls people to see if they want to get together? I write in a group text "anybody free tonight?" and can instantly coordinate with a group.

Who takes film photos? I can take a photo and instantly, easily share it with the group I went out with. I don't have to wait to develop film or pay to do so.

Incidentally, deliberately messing up someone's photos because you don't like that they take photos of their food, an activity which does not inconvenience you in any way, shows a lack of maturity and respect for your friend. So sad.

Or, its obnoxious, so don't do it around me. If your that enamored by a 100$ steak or a Mickey cupcake that you need to take a pick of it and post it so 5 people can "like" that's what is truly sad. Act like you been there before.

Edit: To address the specific example given of the mother criticizing the daughter...I don't think that's a cell phone problem. I think that's a teenager problem. The cell phone is just the mechanism by which the kid is disengaging from the family trip; in decades past when the kid wouldn't have had a phone you'd probably hear that mother complaining that she'd been dragging her feet about everything or complaining all the time. If the kid wanted to be engaged with the trip, she'd be engaged.

Do you know what I got yelled at CONSTANTLY for as a kid/teenage? Reading a book. I was always reading. I would read in school (I got detention for it once), at the dinner table, at family parties, at the pool, and on vacation. My boyfriend [at the time] & I got in a fight because I was reading a book at a hookah bar we were at for his friend's birthday (sorry I'm not interested in hookah?). People complain about kids on their phones, but 15 years ago it was me & my damn books that my parents complained about. If the child wants to tune their surroundings out, they will, and parents will be annoyed by it. I probably should've read less & paid more attention to things when I was younger but the lack of a cell phone sure as hell didn't stop me from being distracted. :music:

While it's true that I could carry around a different device of equal size to my phone in order to take photos (which seems no more convenient and no less disruptive), I'm not sure how I would go about calling my friends at an event where we were all away from home, everyone was constantly on the move between different locations, and no landlines would have been available to us, let alone convenient for use. :confused3 And, too, while it's possible to share photographs taken on a camera online with friends, it's less possible to share them quickly when one would have to go back to one's hotel room to fetch one's laptop, upload the photos, etc. Not to mention that back when I owned a camera but not a phone I'd often forget to carry it, but I don't forget to carry my phone. I always have a camera on me now, which allows me to get a lot more candid shots than I used to.

And, too, those were only a couple of examples of things I can do with my phone. I didn't bring up games because I assumed that the user to whom I was replying would poo-poo the idea of playing games on one's phone (tons of really innovative indie games are available to smart phone users--but that requires one to care about gaming and view it as a worthwhile use of time). And I didn't mention the fact that I was able to forego carrying a bulky paper schedule because I'd downloaded the app for the event; while it would have been possible for me to carry around the paper version, not having to carry it allowed me to wear a costume without ruining the aesthetic by carrying a bag. Without a smart phone I probably would have gone bagless but not had the schedule handy, and I would have missed out on things because I wouldn't have been able to check anything on the go.

I mean, I see your point. I just think that the convenience factor is a factor that radically changes how I use all the functions mentioned. Back in high school, before I got a phone of any kind, I used to tell myself that it didn't matter because I could do all the things one did with a phone without owning one. And technically I could--I could carry both a music player and a camera, and I could rely on my laptop for social media, and I could...I don't know, use payphones? Hope my friends are near payphones? Still stuck on that one since no one owns beepers anymore. But having it all combined into one device changes the way one approaches it and significantly changes the way one experiences all of those things, so I stand by the statement that you bolded in your response.

I have a bowl of old stuff on my dresser, in it sits a beeper (or, pager). My daughter asked me what it was and you should have seen the horror in her eyes as I explained it. She said I am old...

I live in a smaller area where few people understand tech, so that could have a lot to do with it. That said, Facebook is a business tool for me in addition to keeping up with friends(and I have several friends I wouldn't have had if not for Facebook, including most of my overseas ones), but there is a time and place for everything, and to me, having your nose in social media while on vacation is not a good use of your time on vacation.

Here's the thing. My vacation, I get to decide what's a good use of my time while I'm on vacation. You get to decide what is a good use of your time when you are on your vacation.

I find it sad that technology has taken over so much that families are more interested in their phones than enjoying a vacation at Disney together. For example, going back from MK on the bus and a family of four were sitting nearby, young kids maybe 8 or 9, all with their noses in phones. They just left a Disney park - where is the joy of reliving what you did all day, talking about what you're going to do next? I guess they spent all day on their phones and didn't do anything fun at MK worth talking about. When my kids were that age, we didn't have phones to cart around, so we'd spend time on the bus laughing and sharing experiences, or even chatting with strangers around us about things they did or were going to do at Disney. There is no social interaction anymore, just social media, and that's a sad thing to me.

In my family we use our phones on the bus. We've just been in the park together for 10 hours. We talk and laugh and share experiences for 10 hours in the park. You see us for 10 minutes on the bus, that's not all day. You are only seeing a few minutes. Maybe I see you staring out the window not talking to your husband on the bus, am I to assume that you ignored him all day? No, of course not.

Or, its obnoxious, so don't do it around me. If your that enamored by a 100$ steak or a Mickey cupcake that you need to take a pick of it and post it so 5 people can "like" that's what is truly sad. Act like you been there before.

Because sharing your joy with others who get it is "sad". Ok. Maybe focus on what you and your loved ones are doing a little more and less on the other tables? That sounds like a win for everyone.

The problem I see is that many guests seem to only be able to enjoy shows and attractions through the lens of their phone. My husband and I went to see ROL for the first time in December. Neither of us could actually see the show because the people in the row in front of us had their phones held up in front of our faces trying to record it. I was so upset, especially because we had done the dining package and still weren't able to see the show.

THIS makes me so angry! I will flat tell the person in front of me to put it down because we can’t see through their phone/iPad/GoPro/etc. So rude!!

Because sharing your joy with others who get it is "sad". Ok. Maybe focus on what you and your loved ones are doing a little more and less on the other tables? That sounds like a win for everyone.

Oh trust me, I could literally care less about anybody else and what they are doing. Even though I think your an idiot if your doing that I'm not gonna harp on it. Life's to short to worry about anybody else.

Oh trust me, I could literally care less about anybody else and what they are doing. Even though I think your an idiot if your doing that I'm not gonna harp on it. Life's to short to worry about anybody else.

I'm sure there are things that you do people would call you and idiot over. And everyone on this board does something too, including me. To each their own, my vacation time is to precious to worry about what someone else is doing on their phone (as long as they are not shining the light in my eyes) or if they are spacing out instead of chatting with their family.

Last time I was on Dinosaur!, this dude in front of me decided he wanted to take video of the ride with his phone. So not only did I have to see his screen the whole time -- he also decided he needed to use the flashlight feature. Seriously??? I was so close to smacking the phone right out of his hand.

I'm sure there are things that you do people would call you and idiot over. And everyone on this board does something too, including me. To each their own, my vacation time is to precious to worry about what someone else is doing on their phone (as long as they are not shining the light in my eyes) or if they are spacing out instead of chatting with their family.

Oh, I agree. I do a lot of idiotic things and your right to each there own. Just because I'm willing to voice my opinion and be honest doesn't mean I care that much.

That was my initial thought, too, but upon reflection, I wish it were that easy.

I think there is hesitation to provoke an argument or fight while on vacation. People who engage in selfish, problematic behaviors (including blocking others' views by holding their phones up during a show) tend to be defiant and sometimes hostile when asked to stop.

If only people would just be considerate in the first place, and not have to be asked...

the passive aggressive move is to take out your phone and place it in front of their phone.

At DL Paris, I was watching the evening show at the end of main street (close to the entrance), and there was at least 20 feet of space between me and the next person in front of me. About 15 minutes into the show, a couple walk up and stop right in front of me. As in -- less than 3 feet in front of me. And then they put their heads together so I couldn't even see between them. I figured speaking to them in English might be a non-starter, so I decided to play leap frog. The apparently got the hint and moved to another spot.

In my family we use our phones on the bus. We've just been in the park together for 10 hours. We talk and laugh and share experiences for 10 hours in the park. You see us for 10 minutes on the bus, that's not all day. You are only seeing a few minutes. Maybe I see you staring out the window not talking to your husband on the bus, am I to assume that you ignored him all day? No, of course not.

I was just using this as an example, sorry if I offended you (and this was for a 25 min bus ride, they didn't interact at all with each other) - I see it not only on the buses, but in the parks standing in lines, in restaurants - I was simply pointing out that families aren't as interactive with each other anymore, not like when my kids were young and didn't have phones. I'm glad you have a fun vacation with your family. Some families just can't seem to put them down and just 'be' with each other - we use our phones too, but it's to use the Disney app, or to browse pictures we took and point them out to each other while we're on the bus, not to completely tune out our loved ones and not live in the moment. But I digress, it's difficult to post any opinions on this board without offending someone, so again, I apologize.

I was just using this as an example, sorry if I offended you (and this was for a 25 min bus ride, they didn't interact at all with each other) - I see it not only on the buses, but in the parks standing in lines, in restaurants - I was simply pointing out that families aren't as interactive with each other anymore, not like when my kids were young and didn't have phones. I'm glad you have a fun vacation with your family. Some families just can't seem to put them down and just 'be' with each other - we use our phones too, but it's to use the Disney app, or to browse pictures we took and point them out to each other while we're on the bus, not to completely tune out our loved ones and not live in the moment. But I digress, it's difficult to post any opinions on this board without offending someone, so again, I apologize.

The problem is, you are making a sweeping judgement based on a few minutes viewing of other families. That sort of thing can only lead to people being offended. Unless you follow another family around the park all day you have no idea what kind of interactions they are having. A few minutes on the phone on the bus? So? 25 minutes out of hours on end?

I need my own head space after hours with my family, as much as I love them. A quick break, a few minutes to myself, and I am happy to interact with them for a few more hours. I'm sure I'm not the only one that needs to hit reset, even at WDW.

The problem is, you are making a sweeping judgement based on a few minutes viewing of other families. That sort of thing can only lead to people being offended. Unless you follow another family around the park all day you have no idea what kind of interactions they are having. A few minutes on the phone on the bus? So? 25 minutes out of hours on end?

I need my own head space after hours with my family, as much as I love them. A quick break, a few minutes to myself, and I am happy to interact with them for a few more hours. I'm sure I'm not the only one that needs to hit reset, even at WDW.

Again, sorry! (yep, born Canadian, I like to apologize lol) - the OP asked for phone stories, I shared mine like many others on this thread. I didn't share it so you could judge me judging you. I'm not perfect, don't know anyone that is. I will happily scroll through Facebook on my next Disney bus ride while holding my husband's hand not caring what people around me think, knowing we had an amazing day at the park together. Now back to my happy life! ;)

I was just using this as an example, sorry if I offended you... it's difficult to post any opinions on this board without offending someone, so again, I apologize.
Your original observations were apt. I've noticed the same thing.

I recommend not apologizing for your thoughts whenever someone on social media claims they are wrong or offensive. If you get too much in the habit of censoring yourself, after a while you won't have many independent thoughts left.

True. It is inconsiderate however when people take a call and they speak LOUDLY and for an extended period of time in a confined area, like waiting for a ride. Being forced to listen to someone's conversation is maddening. :chat:

Do you know what I got yelled at CONSTANTLY for as a kid/teenage? Reading a book. I was always reading. I would read in school (I got detention for it once), at the dinner table, at family parties, at the pool, and on vacation. My boyfriend [at the time] & I got in a fight because I was reading a book at a hookah bar we were at for his friend's birthday (sorry I'm not interested in hookah?). People complain about kids on their phones, but 15 years ago it was me & my damn books that my parents complained about. If the child wants to tune their surroundings out, they will, and parents will be annoyed by it. I probably should've read less & paid more attention to things when I was younger but the lack of a cell phone sure as hell didn't stop me from being distracted. :music:

That was me as a kid, too, right down to getting in trouble for reading in class. My parents didn't get mad at it, but I was banned from reading in certain situations (in class because I was supposed to be paying attention, at recess because they wanted me to actually get some exercise)...but yeah. There have always been and will always be young people who want to disengage from what's going on around them, and they're going to find a way to do it. Heck, when I didn't have a book handy I'd just space out and daydream.

For me it's usually when we get back to the resort for the evening, or for midday break if we're taking one. My mom and I spent several hours mid-trip in our room at the Dolphin, sitting on our respective beds and each pretending the other wasn't there. Same thing happened every midday break at the AirBnB when I went to Disneyland with my housemate. I love both those people, but I cannot deal with an entire week of constant social interaction without some kind of recharge.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts