• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anniversary Trip Without The Kids?

Wish Upon A Star

DIS Veteran
Thinking of surprising DH for our 15th Wedding Anniversary with a SHORT trip (4 Days) to WDW.

With our annual passes and these great rates how could I pass it up?

We haven't been to WDW alone since 1991 (we left our DD almost 2 at the time with grandma).

I'm one of those parents that like to let their children know what's going on in their lives, etc . . . and when I was mentioning it to my DD (almost 13) and DS (9) that I was thinking of taking a adult only trip . .. they both said NOOOOOO in unison. So, if I do decide to go, both of them are going to be pretty upset . . .we are all going as a family in November and they don't understand why I should go in October too.

For those of you who have left their children to take a short trip to WDW for your anniversary, etc, what did you kids think? Did they give you a hard time and get upset? How did you overcome the guilt??

Any opinions?

We went on our honeymoon to WDW 25 years ago in June and were not able to return for our 25th this year.
Fortunately we did stay at the Contemporary on our 20th and had Grandma and Grandpa babysit in CR so we could have an adult night out at Disney.
I suggest that you write a letter to the Resort Manager where you are staying and inform him it is a very special holiday celebration stay. The CR did a few extras which we fully appreciated.
Also book a res at the California Grill for around 1 hr before the Water Pagent and Fireworks at MK and request a window seating facing the Grand Floridian and MK.
We got lucky, as we were exchanging aniversary gifts fireworks were going off at MK.
Again I can't stress the point that you tell the hostess and waiter at any restuarant or clerk at the resort that your on an aniversary celebrtion trip.
Your Trip should A CELEBRATION OF THE LOVE BETWEEN YOU and YOURS,ENJOY!!!! :jester:

ps: guilt is an overated word!;)

We are planning a little adult's only trip for a long weekend in Dec. I really want to see the decorations and as with you, the AP rates are too good to pass up. Well, I am feeling the guilt. I say, well maybe we should bring the kids (dd will be 6 & ds is 18 months) and then I keep saying that it is only for 4 days and we will be staying at POR and will have to ride the buses everywhere and have to deal with 2 strollers, it is too much of a hassle. I am afraid that if we do go alone, that I will have to not tell my dd where we went, she would be crushed. I keep trying to push off the guilt by saying, well we will be doing a lot of Christmas shopping for the kids while we are there and I know all that dh and I will talk about is our kids.

Cute little story! When I was calling for AP rates on Sunday, I was talking to a CM and said that I would like to check rates for these dates, blah, blah, blah... I said 2 adults - well my dd was right there and said "and 2 children." She had no idea I was talking to Disney, but she was trying to include herself and brother. I just kind of chuckled and said to myself, not this time sweety!!!!

So, sorry I can't give any adivse, but at least you know that you are not the only one feeling the guilt....

Our 15th anniversary is coming up also & it was my husband's idea to go to Disney, however, we are taking our 3 DD's (13, 10 & 10). I just can't imagine going there without them. We have such a great time that it wouldn't be the same without them.

I figure some day they won't want to come with us & that will be our chance to go alone.

We have the BC & rented points at OKW for our anniversary trip. I can't wait. The best part is that the kids don't know yet & will be so excited.

So, for my opinion, I say, take the kids. All too soon they will be on their own & won't want to "hang" with mom & dad. Enjoy them now.

My dh and i sneaked off last sept and we told they kids ( I have four 16,10,8,4) we are going on a business trip. they stayed with grandparents and aunt and uncle we re gone for 4 days, we had the Flu the whole time we were there!. so we decide the following year we try it again
This year we are sneaking off to disney for our 17th wedding Aniversary the end of Sept and will be gone for 4 nights and 5 days,.
Sometimes i do feel guilty but we just got back the first of June from disney staying 12 days , with the kids and the kids really loved it. but Mom and dad need a little time alone once in awhile,
So i say don't feel gulty you need the time together!!!.
I was not one to leave my kids and never until last year. But 15 years of marriage deserves alittle time away together. I hope this helped a little bit.
mrsmom
all star sports Dec95'
holiday inn sunspree Oct 98'
Westgate lakes resort sept 2000
royal plaza hotel Feb 2001
Wynham palace and spa Sept 2001
Westgate lakes & POR June 2002
Allstar Music & polyneasian Sept 2002

:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

We are going alone in August!!! I told all 4 of mine the truth! They went in June for 10 days and last X-mass for 5 and we are going to go this X-mass or in Feb so I do not feel guilty. Dh and I have never rode the Height rides alone (babyswaped). We have never ate at Bestro De Paris and we have never looked at all the World showcase... We want to go to PI and the Boardwalk and swim alone!! My kids are happy for us but I must admit they each have a request for a toy... We have only left them for new babys and one night for a X-mass party out of town so this is a first for us. Grandma is comming so they know that means 4 days of pizza, candy, and pop, and toys.... O and no bedtime.... I wish she had been so soft in my day.LOL. I say go! Have fun ! You will live with your kids 18-24yrs but DH 60-90yrs so it is ok and very important for us parents to fall in love agian all over every blue moon. I hope this helps.:p

Just keep in mind that when parents are happy, the whole family is happy! That's what keeps the guilt away for me when we do something fun for just the two of us (or when I do something just for me!)

We remember that the kids won't be around forever, so we need to start laying the groundwork for just being a couple again. While your kids fuss now, they will be parents someday and will understand why you needed time alone!

First of all, swallow the guilt. You may feel it, but don't show it, because the kids will sense it and take advantage of it.

We went alone for our tenth anniversary. We couldn't finish our honeymoon because of a death in the family and we had to go home early. We always said that we would go back.

Tell the kids the truth. They will be upset, but they are old enough to understand. It's not like they never go, right?

Plan things that you may not do with the kids. Don't go to Fantasy land (unless you really want to....) Go to Pleasure Island as much as you want. Save up for some really big dinners. Lay around the pool, resort hop. Take a deep breath and do the things that you want to do. That was the biggest mistake we made - using the same old family plan.

Last year was our 15th as well. We'd already had a family trip scheduled for December, and when amazing flights became available, we jumped on it and took a 'mom and dad only' trip for 3 nights in October.

Sure the kids griped. Most kids will gripe when they see someone else get something they really want....we don't buy them everything, tho', do we?

If you read much about marriages and healthy families, you'll read that many marriages fail because mom and dad forgot to be there for each other, and always put everything for the kids (and work) first. We all make PLENTY of sacrifices for our kids - don't let this chance for some time alone with your sweetheart pass you by. You will enjoy WDW in a whole new way.....

We rarely leave our children. On one of our Disney trips, our oldest was in college and we drove down on our February vacation, which didn't align with his. The little sneak skipped classes and flew down! He surprised us at 1 am in FW. (His plane was grounded forever by a snowstorm at Boston). It's become a favorite family story.

Last year (#30) we cruised to Bermuda.

And this year we are going to Disney! It's wonderful for us to reconnect. And I don't feel guilty. DS 13 is coming with in October (missing 3 days of school) while I present a paper at a conference!

As I lathered the the wash cloth, a tap was on the bathroom door "Mommy and Daddy I got to go Potty!"
Think about it!!!!!!!!!!

ENJOY! :jester:

ps: married 25 years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter