Anniversary Surprise

Elisa

momtwo2
I'm wondering what all of you romantic Disney fans have done to surprise your significant other on an anniversary trip to Disney World. Next year is our 25th anniversary and I have something special up my sleeve, but I wanted to hear of your experiences. I can't wait read them. What a great way to give others some ideas too!

Dh and I both turned 30 recently and it is also our 3rd wedding anniversary in September so for our September trip I've upgraded our flights from London to Orlando (only to premium economy, I'm not made of money :rotfl:) and dh will find out when we check in our bags at the airport. I'm also planning to book a signature dinner which will likely be at Jiko.

Still working on that for our Disneyland mini vacation for our September anniversary. We were married 9/9/09 and this year is our 9th anniversary so it has to be the special one. Have not come up with any clever ideas since we are local so we'll be driving and all the DL hotels are way out of our budget plus we love the usual non-Disney one we stay at. I still have time though.

My surprise wasn't technically at Disney, but it's Disney-related so I'm going to share it anyway. :) My husband and I both LOVE Tangled, especially the scene with the lanterns. We also have a very soft spot for the fiber-optic sparkle floor at Epcot. When we were kids, I made him a mod for his version of The Sims so that he could have that floor in his house in the game. Today we always kiss whenever we walk over it. It's just one of those sweet little inside 'couples' things we have together.

I know -- those things seem totally unrelated, but I'm getting to the good part now that you have the background. :)

Our first dance was to "I See the Light" at our wedding, so I colluded with his parents to create the perfect surprise for him. His parents (in a massive labor of love) wired the princess-y bottom of my Vera Wang gown with twinkling fiber optic lights, and his dad set it up to a radio remote control. His mom disguised the tips of the cables with crystal beads that blended in with the appliques so that it was impossible to tell anything was in there.

In the middle of our first dance when the song played the lyrics, "and at last I see the light...", my MIL remotely turned on my dress. My husband burst into tears - he was so surprised and excited! He kept twirling me to see the twinkles fade and sparkle like starlight up and down my train. It was definitely a moment that neither of us will ever forget.

Unfortunately fiber optics are a little hard to photograph, especially in that kind of lighting - the first photo is the moment he realized my dress had lit up. The second photo you can see the lights a little bit. I wish we had gotten a good long-exposure shot or a video clip of the lights in the dark somewhere, but that night was such a blur that it never occurred to us. We may have to do a re-take on that someday. ;)

Attachments

• 16112678_10211780465370256_6112965194916126148_o.jpg
    16112678_10211780465370256_6112965194916126148_o.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 15994331_10211780470170376_3592963753205794959_o.jpg
    15994331_10211780470170376_3592963753205794959_o.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 17

I'm a disney commando...it is seriously bad sometimes haha. That being said, the vicious overplanning has allowed for some very special moments not only on my disneymoon but anniversary trips and even family trips. I spent a year planning our disneymoon and only told DH about half of the things that were going on hahaha. One of the most magical things was having personalized menus at Coral Reef that had our photos and a special message on them, with the diver coming down in to the tank while we were eating. I had spoken to the manager and after a lot of careful planning and me pretending I needed to use the loo and then RUNNING through Epcot to Coral Reef from Mission to Mars (yes I know most of you are probably horrified I ran through Epcot...but I wanted to make sure everything was set and I swear I'm really good at not running into people for a whole bunch of other dumb reasons from childhood :hyper:) I managed to set everything up and get us a table for two right at the center of the tank on the upper level so he had a good view. When the diver came down and held up a sign for my DH and threw seashell "confetti" into the water DH was so happy. I am pretty sure I could never do anything to beat the feeling he felt right then because the disney magic was so amazing.

I set up a horse drawn carriage ride at POR and they had Rosa Regale and snacks waiting for us when it got there. After having Rosa Regale while hiding from part of a bit of a hurricane in the french pavilion at Epcot, we have had a special place in our hearts ever since and it has become a special anniversary treat we always try to have. That was an insane night and he couldn't figure our why I was wigging out about how long boatwrights was taking to seat us since he had no idea about the carriage ride. Thankfully I had Dsis there to keep things going because I'm sure he would have thought I needed a straight jacket had she not made it seem like I was needing to go out for air because of her! :rotfl:

Also DH loves Alice in Wonderland and specifically the mad hatter and cheshire cat. I had a mad hatter cake made for him with tons of Alice madness on it and they delivered it to out table at California grill with a few little extras I had brought them for him.

@Elisa Disney really is a wonderful place for all the little extra ideas you want to do to surprise someone special if you want to add that tiny bit of extra romance or even silly magic and I am so excited to hear about what you have planned! Everyone I go with now expects I am going to do things so it is much less exciting so I can't wait to live vicariously through you!!!

Last edited:
Upcoming trip is our 25th anniversary. Wasn't planning Disney but the oldest decided to do the DCP summer alumni program and it ends 2 days after our anniversary. Have upgraded us to AKV for our anniversary and next night (he doesn't know) and booked Jiko. Was too late for V&A as DD didn't find out about her acceptance until way after 180 mark - we had our 10th anniversary dinner there. We fly in on his 50th Bday so am enlisting DD to help surprise that night (cookie, balloon etc).

I'm a disney commando...it is seriously bad sometimes haha. That being said, the vicious overplanning has allowed for some very special moments not only on my disneymoon but anniversary trips and even family trips. I spent a year planning our disneymoon and only told DH about half of the things that were going on hahaha. One of the most magical things was having personalized menus at Coral Reef that had our photos and a special message on them, with the diver coming down in to the tank while we were eating. I had spoken to the manager and after a lot of careful planning and me pretending I needed to use the loo and then RUNNING through Epcot to Coral Reef from Mission to Mars (yes I know most of you are probably horrified I ran through Epcot...but I wanted to make sure everything was set and I swear I'm really good at not running into people for a whole bunch of other dumb reasons from childhood :hyper:) I managed to set everything up and get us a table for two right at the center of the tank on the upper level so he had a good view. When the diver came down and held up a sign for my DH and threw seashell "confetti" into the water DH was so happy. I am pretty sure I could never do anything to beat the feeling he felt right then because the disney magic was so amazing.

I set up a horse drawn carriage ride at POR and they had Rosa Regale and snacks waiting for us when it got there. After having Rosa Regale while hiding from part of a bit of a hurricane in the french pavilion at Epcot, we have had a special place in our hearts ever since and it has become a special anniversary treat we always try to have. That was an insane night and he couldn't figure our why I was wigging out about how long boatwrights was taking to seat us since he had no idea about the carriage ride. Thankfully I had Dsis there to keep things going because I'm sure he would have thought I needed a straight jacket had she not made it seem like I was needing to go out for air because of her! :rotfl:

Also DH loves Alice in Wonderland and specifically the mad hatter and cheshire cat. I had a mad hatter cake made for him with tons of Alice madness on it and they delivered it to out table at California grill with a few little extras I had brought them for him.

@Elisa Disney really is a wonderful place for all the little extra ideas you want to do to surprise someone special if you want to add that tiny bit of extra romance or even silly magic and I am so excited to hear about what you have planned! Everyone I go with now expects I am going to do things so it is much less exciting so I can't wait to live vicariously through you!!!

How sweet!!!

How sweet!!!
Thank you! There are so many little random things I have done but it seems silly to post them all. The Disney customer assistance reps and all the departments they usually end up having to put me in contact with are always asking why I don't become a Disney trip planner haha. My answer is always "my friends are constantly telling me that.... but I live in Los Angeles". I would LOVE to do that haha. Pixie dust makes my soul happy. Last trip my bff and dh were really sweet and on our last meal there surprised me with flowers delivered to our table at Jiko. I almost started crying! No one had ever done anything for me before and it meant the world to me. I ended up carrying it with me in the taxi and it was the perfect arrangement that kept our hotel room at Universal really homey and bright.

Dh is from my and LOVES Sleepy Hollow, so I booked the ultimate return to sleepy hollow event with dessert party and a photopass stop with the headless horseman

OMG I just adore youuuu!!!!! What a fabulous and sweet surprise for your husband! I just love that someone else loves Tangled as much as I do! My husband is a Disney fanatic, like myself and I'm sooo grateful!!! I hope your husband appreciated how much work went into that sweet moment, and I'm sure glad the remote worked at the right time! LOL. It could have gone so differently!

My surprise wasn't technically at Disney, but it's Disney-related so I'm going to share it anyway. :) My husband and I both LOVE Tangled, especially the scene with the lanterns. We also have a very soft spot for the fiber-optic sparkle floor at Epcot. When we were kids, I made him a mod for his version of The Sims so that he could have that floor in his house in the game. Today we always kiss whenever we walk over it. It's just one of those sweet little inside 'couples' things we have together.

I know -- those things seem totally unrelated, but I'm getting to the good part now that you have the background. :)

Our first dance was to "I See the Light" at our wedding, so I colluded with his parents to create the perfect surprise for him. His parents (in a massive labor of love) wired the princess-y bottom of my Vera Wang gown with twinkling fiber optic lights, and his dad set it up to a radio remote control. His mom disguised the tips of the cables with crystal beads that blended in with the appliques so that it was impossible to tell anything was in there.

In the middle of our first dance when the song played the lyrics, "and at last I see the light...", my MIL remotely turned on my dress. My husband burst into tears - he was so surprised and excited! He kept twirling me to see the twinkles fade and sparkle like starlight up and down my train. It was definitely a moment that neither of us will ever forget.

Unfortunately fiber optics are a little hard to photograph, especially in that kind of lighting - the first photo is the moment he realized my dress had lit up. The second photo you can see the lights a little bit. I wish we had gotten a good long-exposure shot or a video clip of the lights in the dark somewhere, but that night was such a blur that it never occurred to us. We may have to do a re-take on that someday. ;)
I meant the above message to be sent to you..........OMG I just adore youuuu!!!!! What a fabulous and sweet surprise for your husband! I just love that someone else loves Tangled as much as I do! My husband is a Disney fanatic, like myself and I'm sooo grateful!!! I hope your husband appreciated how much work went into that sweet moment, and I'm sure glad the remote worked at the right time! LOL. It could have gone so differently!

You have such amazing Ideas! I love the carriage ride idea as well as the Rosa Regale, as we always have a glass while in the Italy pavilion. I think I might look into that! Fabulous! Thanks!!!!!

I meant the above message to be sent to you..........OMG I just adore youuuu!!!!! What a fabulous and sweet surprise for your husband! I just love that someone else loves Tangled as much as I do! My husband is a Disney fanatic, like myself and I'm sooo grateful!!! I hope your husband appreciated how much work went into that sweet moment, and I'm sure glad the remote worked at the right time! LOL. It could have gone so differently!

Awww, thank you so much!! Good thing our husbands love Disney -- could you imagine marrying a non-Disney person?? :rotfl2:

that made me laugh out loud
I can't think of another way to describe it hahaha... I feel like everyone sees a well oiled machine most of the time during our trips and I'm standing there with laminated cards and a binder thinking oh God this better work. Hahaha... no one gets between me and my Disney vacation! hahahaha

You have such amazing Ideas! I love the carriage ride idea as well as the Rosa Regale, as we always have a glass while in the Italy pavilion. I think I might look into that! Fabulous! Thanks!!!!!
It is so wonderful. The carriage ride really is lovely and so peaceful at the end of a crazy day. I love POR anyway because of how soothing it is but the carriage ride is beyond... I have also had the Rosa Regale sent as part of a surprise package to the room so that it was waiting there when we got back. Having it in the pavilion is great but being able to just sit back and relax with it can be so much more romantic because of the calm privacy rather than the crazy crowds around you.

So many great things are around Disney that make me appreciate how something so seemingly simple can still be magical. I hope you have a wonderful time and I am sure you will love it if you do decide to do the carriage ride. They were such nice people.

My parents celebrated their 25th Anniversary last year and they each surprised each other in a different Disney way. On their actual anniversary, my Dad was on a work trip in Tampa while the rest of the family was at Disney World. I had convinced my Mom to have an anniversary dinner in Disney Springs so my Dad could surprise her and join us for the evening. My Mom had figured that he was in Tampa, so she had no idea he had driven over to see her. It was one of the best surprises I've ever helped him pull off and she absolutely loved it.

On a different trip a few months earlier, my Mom had surprised my Dad with a flight on the Characters in Flight balloon in Disney Springs. My Dad loves Soarin' and just getting to look around at views in general, so it was the perfect thing for him. He was so excited to get to go up in the balloon and was also very surprised by it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!