Anguilla Dolphin/Stingray Excursion review

kendall

live, love, learn
As this is a new excursion, I promised under a different thread about a month or so ago to post a review of our experience during the 4/5/03 cruise. The following is from my trip report, to be posted soon...

Participants: DH (40), myself (38), DS (12), DD (10)

We did one excursion this trip, the Anguilla Dolphin and Stingray Experience, which is an excursion offered from St. Maarten. This excursion was pricey at about $180 per person. I priced it separately as well, and between taxis, ferry, experience (www.dolphinfantaseas.com ) and lunch, the Disney price was better. Word of advice - if you do try to do this excursion separate from Disney, I understand that Dophin Fantaseas completely books their time with DCL on the day DCL is in port, so there will not be any time available. Another consideration - the ferries to/from Anguilla may not run on the posted times - we noticed a ferry loading in Anguilla going to St. Maarten that was over an hour late departing..

That said, while this was an interesting experience and I’m glad we did it, I wouldn’t book it a second time. The price is high for a family of 4, and the amount of time spent with the dolphins is actually only about 20 minutes. The pools or lagoons that hold the dolphins are small, and the ecosystem in the pools produces murky water. There are numerous small fish and plants in the dolphin pools as well. The excursion ran with about 60 people. The chartered ferry to Anguilla is adjacent to the ship, so we walked from the ship to the dock (1 minute). The ferry ride was about 45 minutes, with complementary pop and bottled water offered. At Anguilla, we were met by two buses to take us to Dolphin Fantaseas – one larger bus and a smaller 20 passenger van. The ride to Dolphin Fantaseas was 10-15 minutes. The group was divided into two groups of 30. One group spent the remaining part of the morning on the beach, the other group had the “experiences”. The groups combined for lunch, then switched. My family was in the group that started on the beach. The time on the beach was wonderful, we had about 1.5 hours – the sand and water are beautiful. The kids enjoyed playing in the waves, and the Dolphin Fantaseas folks brought over snorkel gear for us to use free of charge. There were chairs and umbrellas available free of charge as well. Lunch was at the covered dining area at Dolphin Fantaseas, served buffet style: lettuce salad, cole slaw, pasta salad, baked fish, baked chicken legs and thighs, hamburgers, French fries, beans and rice, delicious tropical fruit punch, and I think I am forgetting a vegetable. Lunch was tasty and satisfying. After lunch, our group of 30 was divided into 3 groups of 10, and we rotated through 3 different areas. One area was with the wildlife – hermit crabs (we had races – the first crab to the edge of the kiddie pool was the winner- multiple heats, of course), parrots, turtles – we handled all the critters and learned a bit about them. Second area was the stingrays. This was a very small area, where we entered the water and fed the stingrays (stingers are removed). We were given fresh fish, and after laying our hands flat on the bottom of the pool area, the stingrays would pass over your hand and lightly suck the fish off your hand. It was a really weird, neat feeling – and of course they covered up most of your arm while doing so, as their mouth is at the center of their body. We then had some time to swim with the stingrays in the small pool using provided snorkeling equipment. There was also a nurse shark in the sting ray tank, with its cave off to the side. We watched the nurse shark being fed – don’t worry, the shark doesn’t come out during the day, although they didn’t tell us about that shark until after we all had swam in the tank and fed the stingrays…. The third area is the dolphin area, where we were split to two groups of 5. Here we swam with dolphins in their tank, raced the dolphins across the tank, petted, kissed and each of us hand fed the dolphins a couple times. They had a baby dolphin there too – born this past December – we couldn’t pet the baby, but we did the mama. By the way, nursing mom dolphin eats 30 pounds of fish each day, the other adults 15 pounds – and the fish is restaurant quality fish. Again, the tanks were small, but the experience was intimate with the dolphins. . Of course, there was a photographer getting our photos when we kissed and fed the dolphins. Photos available in print or CD format (CD format was $20 for first image, $10 each additional image – resolution is excellent). 8x10 print was $25, and there were various packages available too (such as 1 5x7 and 2 2x3 of the same print on one sheet). We returned back to the magic via the same chartered ferry, again offered complementary beverages, and arrived back on the magic at about 4:30 pm – it was a long day! Do know that shopping in St. Maarten is limited – stores close at 6 – so we had very little time to shop! Overall impression of the excursion – positive and a wonderful memory – we all enjoyed it! I recommend it with the caveat that you must realize you will only be with the dolphins a short time! DD and DS loved it and would do it again in a minute.

I would be glad to answer any questions!

I have been very very interested in this. About the shark.. did you see it at all? How do they know it won't come out during the day- DH would s*** if it came up to him as he has already had this experience while snorkling (turned the corner of a reef and almost bumped into the shark) it took me years to get him to snorkle again.
What did they have to drink at the picnic? what was the beach like? when you said you race the dolphins did you get to hold onto their fin and be pulled or did you swim next to them? How many people were with the dolphins in one lagoon? (ratio I mean) and is it like a tank or a natural lagoon atmosphere?
Thanks again for the info

We love Anguilla, we went there on our own about 1 1/2 years ago while we were sailing on the Magic. The people who live there are so nice and caring. They really took care of our every need on our short visit, from the time we got to the ferry till we were boarding the Magic again.
Wow! $720. for the 4 of you. The cost for that excursion is a little hard to take.
We didn't go to Fantasea, just spent the day at Shoal Bay Beach, got a glass bottom boat ride and a little tour of the island. It cost us $57. per adult for all our transportation and entry fees. We had packed our own lunch from the ship.
If you're a swimmer, snorkeler or a diver I would highly suggest a day trip to Anguilla with or without Disney. They have the most beautiful beaches.

did you see it at all? How do they know it won't come out during the day- DH would s*** if it came up to him as he has already had this experience while snorkling (turned the corner of a reef and almost bumped into the shark) it took me years to get him to snorkle again.
No, we had no idea it was even there. The young man in charge of this station (the other stations being the dolpins and the wildlife) told us about the shark and fed it. In fact, the shark was so fast grabbing the fish from the young man you could hardly even see it - it definitely did not want to encounter people. It stayed in its little cave area. If it were a danger, we wouldn't have been in that little lagoon in the first place. And who knows, in a few weeks it may be released and not be there at all....

What did they have to drink at the picnic?
It was a tropical fruit punch - very tasty - the entire family enjoyed the punch. The punch was nonalcoholic.

what was the beach like?
Beautiful. The water was clear, small waves enjoyable for playing, chairs and umbrellas available, sand clean and fine. And, there were lots of starfish. Folks with snorkeling gear were finding star fish, bringing them up to the surface, and showing them to others. There were also starfish in the pool with the stingrays at Dolphin Fantaseas.

you said you race the dolphins did you get to hold onto their fin and be pulled or did you swim next to them?
You were not pulled, nor was that an option. Instead you swam next to the dolphins - a better description would be the dolphin swam across ahead of you, and then swam around, beneath and in front of you. The touching, holding, feeding of the dolphins was primarily on command, however the dolphins also approached each member of our family on their own and allowed us to touch/pet them. The dolphin does have some choice in participation except where commanded to for the kissing and feeding photos...

How many people were with the dolphins in one lagoon? (ratio I mean) and is it like a tank or a natural lagoon atmosphere?
It was definitely a tank, not a beautifully landscaped, large lagoon. The tanks were surprisingly small in my opinion. They were deep, and each person was outfitted with a vest and goggles. DH estimates the dolphin tank was 200 ft x 300 ft x 30 ft deep - I don't even think it was that big - to me it about the size of our pool at the YMCA, which is an olympic size swimming pool. Then again, I'm not known for my dimensions...

There were 3 adult dolphins, 1 baby dolphin in the lagoon. The ratio was 5 participants to 1 leader, which I thought was great. And each person had some 1-1 time with the group leader and the dolphins. So for example, during my 1-1 time, the leader, noting I was a mother, directed our discussion to the idea of the food, nursing, etc, and during our 1-1 time I petted the dolphin and the leader had the dolphin hover vertically in the water to show me the mamory glands (FYI, I didn't request that, ok? He probably thought as a Mom I would appreciate that - and it was interesting, I admit). Again, the water in the tank was murky with algae too as it is filled with plant life and some fish - we rinsed off with a hose once we exited the tank. The water wasn't a crystal clear blue, so be prepared for that too!

All in all did you think it was worth the 180.00 per person price tag?

so here is my answer: it depends!

If it were just DH and me, probably not.

As a family excursion, with our kids ages 12 and 10, combined with the family-oriented staff and other farmily-oriented activities (such as hermit crab races, tortises, parrots) at Dolphin Fantaseas, lunch, beach, equipment - yes, it was a good family excursion even with the high price tag.

So all in all, I would give it a thumbs up family excursion for kids old enough to appreciate the encounter and remember it!

Our DS is ten and all he talks about is wanting to swim with the dolphins . We have done the stingrays in the cayman islands- the natural setting I can't imagine being beat so they are not a huge draw for me. DH and I really wanted to see Anguilla (been to St. Maarten before) so this seemed like a good comprimise but I don't want to hear DH saying $540.00 what a waste of money!

AnnMorin, then it is a tough call, because you will only see a very small part of Anguilla along the road to Dolphin Fantaseas - not impressive or interesting at all - the island is quite poor, and the landscape unremarkable (quite flat, actually, and few tall trees). And the amount of time actually spent in contact with the dolphins is a small fraction of the day. While the beach is beautiful, the amount of time there is only about 1.5 hours, not much, really. If your DS has expectations of a lot of contact with the dolphins or being pulled/pushed, etc, then he will probably be disappointed. I don't know how Dolphin Fantaseas compares with offerings in the Bahamas, Cozumel or Sea World. That may be an intesting comparison to try and make to see what you receive for your $$.

Well I thank you Kendall..
I am still going to go for it.. I think we will enjoy it and I have saved enough Disney Dollars so it is prepaid in a sence. In a way it will save DH money as last time we were in St. Maarten it cost him grand for a bracelett for me... I guess I will just have to shop in St. Thomas this time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter