And When I Get to Disney (World), I'll Stay!!

Imaginationsetfree

Mouseketeer
Hi, everyone! Susie here, back from a wonderful (and long overdue) trip to the World! I’m excited to share my trip with you, but first a little background and introductions.

The title of my trip comes from an absolutely beautiful song from the 80’s musical “Smile” called “Disneyland.” I love this song so much, and even though I am well aware that I was in Disney World and not Disneyland, that didn’t stop me from listening to it basically on a loop the whole week before I went. And during it. And singing along loudly in the car. You get the point. If you’re not familiar with the musical or the song, I’ve posted the lyrics below. Get ready to fall in love with it.

Hot summer night, I guess the folks were busy fighting
Joe'd already left home.
Eleven years old on my own
feeling nothing but lonely.
There's nothing to do, there's nothing out there but the traffic
Down on state ninety-three.
So I'd sit through the night by our old black and white TV.
That's where I saw it,
That's when I heard it,
Calling, Calling me

Disneyland, Magic Kingdom,
Disneyland, I close my eyes real tight
Wishing hard I might, wishing hard I may.
Find my way to
Disneyland, Gotta get to
Disneyland, on a western breeze,
Magic carpet please, carry me away.

Oh I know you're gonna say the trees are paper mache
It's done with mirrors, the magic there.
Each little birds full of springs, you press a button it sings
Recorded music in the air.
They've had the mountain refaced, it's only plywood and paste,
Go on say it! I'll turn around and tell you I don't care!
I don't... care.

I will live in Disneyland
Make my home in Disneyland
Maybe it's all fake, that's a chance I'll take
It's perfectly okay!
Someone give me Disneyland!
Take me there to Disneyland!
And when I get to Disneyland
I'll stay!​

Stunning, right? Still not convinced? Let me help with that. Here’s a video of the incomparable Jodi Benson singing it at the Hollywood Bowl a few years ago. She originated the role in the show that had this song – three years before voicing Ariel in The Little Mermaid. You might want to grab some tissues before watching. I’ll wait.

*Happy sigh* Anyways, that pretty much sums up my emotional connection to Disney parks, and the reason why the fact that it had been about two and a half years since I’d been to WDW was completely unacceptable. So dry your eyes and get ready to join me in recapping this trip!

Cast of characters: mainly me! You may occasionally see my best friend on here, who lives in Orlando and meets up with me when he can. But other than that, I trekked it solo for a week here.

Where: Staying off site at Vacation Village at Parkway. I’ve stayed here before, and love it. I don’t spend much time at the resort, so I don’t need a lot of crazy amenities, but the rooms here are lovely and spacious. I had two bedrooms, two living rooms, one full kitchen, and one partial kitchen. It’s a ton of space for just me but 1) I live in Manhattan which means that a lot of space is a luxury to me and 2) it did come in handy when I cooked and had double the kitchen supplies.

Favorite Disney park: That’s a tough one for me. It used to be DHS, and may be again once Pixar Land and Star Wars land open up. But at the moment, especially while mourning the loss of The Great Movie Ride (moment of silence, please), I don’t think I can say it’s my favorite any more. Now I would say my favorite is Epcot. I could spend an entire vacation in the World Showcase alone, and it was especially neat being there for the Flower and Garden Festival.

Favorite Disney movie(s): Oliver and Company and Mary Poppins.

Favorite Disney Character: Tigger

Favorite Disney Villain: Hades

There. I think that’s a good start. Sit back, relax, and enjoy my TR!

Following along! I'll be leaving on a solo trip in 47 days and can't wait to read about your experiences. Great start!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts