And they're off! Live trip report

Thanks to everyone who's been along with us! It's been a fab holiday, as ever. We've already reserved the property again for next year!

The technology problems I had at the start have been a blessing in disguise. I have not been able to access my business emails for 3 weeks. This is the first holiday I can remember for several years where I have totally switched off from work. I have had one email from my deputy with two pieces of news that he thought I should know about but also assuring me he has everything under control. Not looking forward to the 1000 emails that are likely to be waiting for me though!

Off to DTD shortly.

You do indeed seem to have been away for a long time, but I think that is because you pack so much into your days. Now that we no longer have a young child with us, I look back at my holiday journals and wonder about how much we actually fit into our days!

Pam

Yes. We have only ever flown direct once before and had horrendously long wait in immigration then. It wasn't a case yesterday of choosing to try the kiosks. Because we had been to the US before and were und visa waiver, we were directed to use them.

They are quite easy to use. Just an automated version of the iteraction with the immigration officer at the desk. It scans your passport, takes your fingerprints and your photo, even recognising if you're short like me and adjusting the height to suit. My transaction failed (probably because I have a new passport) so we then had to go to a desk anyway, but it was all still pretty quick.

Ate last night at CiCis Pizza, as we had a coupon. It was ok for something quick and cheap, but not sure we'd return.

Going to Cracker Barrel for breakfast this morning and will probably head for Downtown Disney and Celebration after a supermarket trip.

just noticed this thread - a bit late i admit!
i enjoyed reading your live trip report (albeit, not so live when i read it)..

i went through the kiosk last october at JFK and i seem to remember having to go to one of the immigration people with the piece of paper..but maybe i'm not remembering correctly...
it was all a bit of a mess as they'd just started using them there so even the people working there didn't seem to really know what they were doing....
but i didn't really notice a difference other than having to answer questions on the screen and then take the little piece of paper to the immigration officer..

i see that you've stayed at emerald island a number of times.
how do you book there? is there a main booking service?

Its more the type of trips we will be looking to do after this year. Once our Disney AP's expire we want to do more things away from the parks. We will continue with our SW & BG AP's but then explore more. Also considering a road trip incl New Orleans and missing Orlando totally that holiday.

Wayne, if you're not going to go to WDW, you can go everywhere else in the US. For us, the ONLY reason to go to florida is WDW. If WDW is removed from the equation there are a lot of places i'd much rather go than florida.
One of my dream trips - that i hope one day to be able to do - is a coast to coast to coast to coast road trip - visiting every national park. That would probably take a year, but i'd love to try.
So many amazing places to see. So much incredible natural beauty in almost every state in the union.

just noticed this thread - a bit late i admit!
i enjoyed reading your live trip report (albeit, not so live when i read it)..

i went through the kiosk last october at JFK and i seem to remember having to go to one of the immigration people with the piece of paper..but maybe i'm not remembering correctly...
it was all a bit of a mess as they'd just started using them there so even the people working there didn't seem to really know what they were doing....
but i didn't really notice a difference other than having to answer questions on the screen and then take the little piece of paper to the immigration officer..

i see that you've stayed at emerald island a number of times.
how do you book there? is there a main booking service?

A
Wayne, if you're not going to go to WDW, you can go everywhere else in the US. For us, the ONLY reason to go to florida is WDW. If WDW is removed from the equation there are a lot of places i'd much rather go than florida.
One of my dream trips - that i hope one day to be able to do - is a coast to coast to coast to coast road trip - visiting every national park. That would probably take a year, but i'd love to try.
So many amazing places to see. So much incredible natural beauty in almost every state in the union.

We book directly with the owner of the townhouse. She lives in the UK. I think I may have sent you the details in the past, but I can send them again if you wish?

We book directly with the owner of the townhouse. She lives in the UK. I think I may have sent you the details in the past, but I can send them again if you wish?

no doubt you have sent them to me before :eek:
but if you could send it again it'd really appreciate it. :)

i'm in that seemingly neverending number crunching stage...

no doubt you have sent them to me before :eek:
but if you could send it again it'd really appreciate it. :)

i'm in that seemingly neverending number crunching stage...

No problem. I *think* I've forwarded the pm to you again. Let me know if you haven't got it.

Sounds like an eventful kayaking trip - i'd have been worried about alligators!

Thanks for posting updates enjoyed following along

got it - i'm such a ditz!!!!!!!
thanks for sending it again!!!!

i've filed it away on my computer this time so i won't lose it :)

No problem!

If you make contact with Jo, mention my name. She'll be only too happy to help! A work colleague of mine is also going to be staying there in a month's time.

Sounds like an eventful kayaking trip - i'd have been worried about alligators!

Thanks for posting updates enjoyed following along

i would have been worried about alligators too!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I think we had naively assumed there wouldn't be any! We also didn't really expect to find ourselves in the water!

Ah well, all part of life's rich tapestry. We are still here to tell the tale, thank goodness!

I think we had naively assumed there wouldn't be any! We also didn't really expect to find ourselves in the water!

Ah well, all part of life's rich tapestry. We are still here to tell the tale, thank goodness!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj8fED5Otmo

from a guide to kayaking in alligator country:
WHAT TO DO IF YOUR KAYAK ENCOUNTERS ALLIGATORS: Special thanks to South Carolina's Cape Fear Paddlers for some valuable insights.

A South Carolina Kayak Club, The Cape Fear Paddlers, suggest that when you happen on a gator, it will almost certainly run right into the water. Although it appears to be charging, it is just trying to get into the water where it feels safest. See above predator descriptions. Pay attention to the following in planning a paddle adventure in alligator territory:

1. Contact your local Fish & Game Dept for trends in predator activities such as mating and nesting season for alligators, seasonal behavior patterns and times of day of increased predator activity or recent attacks. This is usually dusk & dawn, as darkness gives any predator an advantage; but don't just rely on that.

2. It is always smart to keep your wits about you, so stay sober, and in the warm months do not cut around creek bends too closely, as these are the strategic spots where alligators like to lay hidden and keep an eye out for prey. Shallow waterways in the south are favorite places for alligators to nestle down. Avoid the chance you may unsettle them. Although alligators are shy, they don't like being surprised, and paddling in ditches about 5-10 feet wide when alligators can leap 5 feet from water's edge is asking for trouble, especially in the warmer months in the evening when they are on the prowl, and during nesting season which is roughly the entire summer. Check with locals about water levels in your intended paddling area.

3. If you want to explore shallow narrow areas where alligators frequent, do it when temperatures fall below 70 degrees, when alligators basically become inactive. Put as much as 100 feet distance between them and your kayak. Do not sit on overhanging branches, camp near the water (150 feet is recommended) and take care going to the shore for water while camping.

4. Although a gator that slips off a bank on your approach is somewhere underneath you, and may even follow you a little, stay calm and know that it will not "thump" you from underneath or lunge out of the water at you. Keep paddling, be wary, and if you are a little spooked a group of South Carolina kayakers familiar with alligators advise you bang your paddle on your kayak a few times to intimidate it. Some believe this may sound like wounded prey thrashing about in the mud peaking its interest. Because their hearing is sensitive I would remove all doubt and use my PFD whistle.

5. Signs an alligator is near: A wallow where they like to roll and cool down in the mud; a slide where they slip into the water; a nest. If you ever come across small alligators with, depending on the species, yellow stripes, you have found JUVENILES, which means the mother is somewhere nearby. Baby alligators stay with mom for up to a year. If you remember anything, don't ever stop to observe them or try to touch or catch one. The protectiveness of mother alligators can not be overstated. Certainly do not hunt, harass, or feed them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter