And Then There Was One

jerseydizdreamer

Mouseketeer
As much as I wish this post referred to "one day until Disney," that one's still a ways off. instead, I'm looking to find out people’s opinions about the best plces to eat solo. For example, I've always wanted to try Ohana’s at the Poly, but am torn on whether the atmosphere there makes it the perfect place for a solo diner or the worst place possible. Thoughts? What other resaurants are particularly good or bad in that regard?

Richard

I have never eaten solo at Ohana. I think it would be an interesting experience. I've enjoyed solo meals at Le Cellier, Hollywood & Vine, Brown Derby, Akershus, Olivia's, and Kona Cafe. I think the only restaurant I'd avoid for solo dining is Biergarten -I'm not a fan of being stuck in the middle of a bunch of strangers for a meal.

I have eaten at OHans's solo years ago and had no problem. I have not found any place I would not eat solo. That said, I have no problem doing things solo. If someone gives me a dirty look or whatever if I am solo, that is thier problem not mine. I have not had any CM anywhere acted like I should not be there solo. I know others have had that experience. I did have an Ariel at her Groto years ago be surpised I waited in line to get a photo taken with her and get her autograph. I think it is more what is not comfortable for you than anything. Before meeting DW a few years ago, I did alot of solo trips to WDW and there were just some folks who did not understand a man in his late 30's early 40's going to WDW solo.

Two places I enjoyed eating solo were LTT (lunch) and CRT (also lunch). I didn't have good experiences at Chefs de France (my server was more interested in flirting with the 2 young, single looking girls at the next table than waiting on me) and Resturaunt Akerhaus (again I think I got forgotten). BTW, my bad experience at Chefs de France was my second time there-first time was very nice.

And I have never had a problem dining alone in any Disney restaurant. I'm usually pretty oblivious, so I have never noticed anyone staring at me or anything like that. Sometimes, I take a book to read.

On my last trip, I ate solo at Le Cellier and had an absolutely wonderful meal. My waiter was very attentive and took good care of me and I really enjoyed the food.

I also ate at Boma, which is a buffet, but there is a waiter who brings drinks, extra napkins and explains the set up and foods for you. Again, the service I received was just outstanding. I had a nice table next to the window so I could look out on some nice gardens (alas! no animals!).

I ate at 5os Prime Time, which is one of my favorite places to eat at WDW because of the theming and atmosphere, and as usual, I had a great time.

I had dinner at Hollywood and Vine as part of the Fantasmic package, and enjoyed their buffet. The server was very attentive.

If you're worried that you'll be forgotten because you are dining solo, I'd suggest trying a few buffets. That way, you get your own meal and are less dependent on a waiter. Personally, my one exception to the buffet suggestion is Biergarten. As much as I enjoy German food, being seated at a table with a bunch of strangers is not my idea of a getmutlich good time.

Don't worry about what other people might be thinking. Just enjoy yourself.

I have never had a bad experience as a solo diner at WDW.

I would have to single-out (no pun intended) Prime Time Cafe as my pick for a great place to eat solo. The servers there are so ready to cut up and have a great time.

During my first visit there, my server had our entire area interacting with each other. Starting up conversations with strangers is one of my greatest joys of traveling alone, so I was thrilled with all the servers' antics, and have the pictures to prove it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter