And now for a change of plans-A Dec '18 Solo TR - COMPLETED 9/19

I love Boma food! I don’t remember getting anything butterscotch flavored when we ate there, I would have loved that.

Our paths may have crossed! I was at the gift shop that evening too :). Probably sometime between 8-9pm. I was on the hunt for a Christmas ornament.
That would have been hilarious if we did cross paths! Did you get the ornament?

Great first evening!!!
Thanks!

The Boma dinner menu sounds pretty eclectic and accessible to everyone. You actually listed a lot of dishes that sounded really good to me. I wish I could convince Alex to eat a dinner there, but he was pretty unimpressed with our one breakfast experience so I doubt I could convince him to return.

Thanks for keeping track of your Tables in Wonderland savings! I'm debating buying it for our 2019 trips, and despite doing the math already, I still like to see someone else's savings in action.

Your AKL tree ornament is awesome!
Boma was very yummy. I still have our Sanaa reservation in 2 weeks, but I'm wondering if I should switch over to Boma again...

I got sooo many ornaments at Disney this past year!

The Christmas decorations look beautiful ::yes::

Ha! That's so weird…she must have an amazing memory. I don't know what my box says since I've been going to "My Louie" for 34 years :rotfl:
Haha! I only remember Mahogany because of The Hunger Games!

Sounds like a nice dinner and a great first night at AKL!
It was a good, relatively relaxing night!

Annoying that your luggage took so long to get to you, but still sounds like a terrific first night!

I'm glad you finally got to try fresh zebra domes (I remember the ones you tried to save to eat later and they got all melty or something, right? Maybe the trip with Lauren?) In any case, at least you can say you've tried them now, which is more than I can say for myself!

I like the pins and ornament you picked! I always like to get an ornament to commemorate my Disney trips, too. Not necessarily from my resort, but somewhere along the way on my trip. I wonder which one I will pick for the EPIC Girls trip, now that I think about it!?
Yeah, the domes basically turned to mush because it was so hot out in September! And then in March I bought them but didn't get around to eating them for a couple days, so not as fresh.

Maybe get an ornament from Flower and Garden? Or something girly?

I love this shirt so much!!

We have a similar bakery here, and one that employs mainly people with developmental delays. I think they're both great programs!

I love getting the cruise line bus b/c of Huey, Dewey, and Louie being on the side, LOL

I agree! I am set on doing the Sense of Africa tour the next time I go solo or with DH, and part of me just wants to hang around the resort and minimize the parks. I think it'll be a good plan when Star Wars Mania takes over at the end of the year.

This is why we don't let Disney take our bags if we land anytime after like 4pm. We've had to wait so long before, and I am impatient!

Sounds like a great start so far!! I always love seeing AKL, it's such a special resort, I love it!
I really do want to do the morning AKL tour. It seems it would work great if I was staying there!

I think this was the first time I really experienced the bag delay. In September, the hurricane changed plans so we arrived early and didn't have luggage tags, so both Lauren and I collected our bags ourselves. In March, there was a delay, but I went to Disney Springs for a couple hours instead, so by the time I got back to the resort, my suitcase was there!

I loved the Christmas decorations at AKL, your photos look great!
My sister was nagging me to try the zebra domes but I kept forgetting to lol

We got the refillable mugs too (accidentally) and used it every day so in the end I reckon it was worth the value
Yeah, I think I will be getting them again for the trip with my Mom. Just very convenient. I had a carribeaner so I could just clip it to my backpack when I was done.

I have been having problems with my bags arriving timely the last 2 years. The longest was 5.5 hours from arrival at the resort so 6.5 from landing with 2 phone calls looking for the bags. That was at Pop in March 2017. And then this past September, we landed 6ish (maybe a little before) and were at the resort around 7, and I was down in the lobby around 11:30 asking about the bags (since Bell Services was not answering the phone) and was told they were there but there were still a lot in front of them to be delivered but that they would grab from the backroom and give them to me if I wanted them. Am still looking for airfare for this March, but am thinking I may be grabbing the bags at MCO which I have done before. My cut off time to grab my bags keeps getting earlier and earlier.
Ugh, that is so annoying! I will try it again in a couple weeks - third times the charm? Or 3 strikes and you're out?

Hi Leslie! I've got my tissues and mask ready so I'm joining along for your adventures. I must say for "day 0" you certainly seemed to get a lot done. Your report already has ben longing for AKL and Christmas at Disney. Can't wait to read more!
Oh, I do love AKL at Christmas! I may have to get over there next year even though I won't be staying there.

First, Sorry for the lack of updating - been busy at work and I've been trying to get my June (!) Paris Trip Report finished up too. But I'm headed to Disneyworld in less than 2 weeks! It will definitely be a different type of trip - I'm bringing my mom, so taking things a bit slower, plus we have a cruise, which I'm sooo looking forward to! I also can't wait to see Festival of the Arts and stay at Beach Club Villas. I'm hoping it isn't too cold and we can enjoy Stormalong Bay AND Castaway Cay!

Day 1 – November 30
Pre-trip plans
9:10 – Fastpass, Kilimanjaro Safari
-Gorilla Falls Trail
10:30 – ADR, Tusker House
11:30 – Fastpass, Festival of the Lion King (12 pm show)
12:30 – Fastpass, Flight of Passage
-Navi River Journey
-Meet Mickey & Minnie
Break at Resort
4:00 – Snack, Nomad Lounge
-Kilimanjaro Safari
-Expedition Everest x 2
Head to Port Orleans French Quarter (beignets, decorations)
Boat to Disney Springs (shopping, Christmas Tree Trail)
9:15 – ADR, The Edison with Raeven

Part 1: Morning at the Lodge

This morning, I ended up jumping out of bed the second I woke up! It felt like I was a kid on Christmas morning, but I wanted to check out my view (the night before it was too dark to really get an idea of what I’d be able to see). There were a couple animals out getting breakfast, which was cool to see, but nothing too exciting yet.

jJlU0Hx.jpg
i6LU7gI.jpg
zMINsa3.jpg

So, I realized, rather than taking my time getting going, I might as well get up and head to Animal Kingdom early!

pzGSIMH.jpg

On my way out I did get some animal views from the various windows and overlooks on the other side of the building (I basically took the intermediate elevator down to Level 2 and walked along the corridor to the lobby, rather than taking the 5th floor corridor).

HWg7TYg.jpg
Le6rxnA.jpg

Checking out more lobby decorations. I love how the whole theme was music with actual instruments as the ornaments.

EAnnOKK.jpg
sSRLIko.jpg
Ci9PBqJ.jpg
Yc0jumc.jpg
tdKs7SE.jpg
6EqF8f8.jpg
mSZf8vI.jpg
3HzVWpP.jpg

Last edited:
Part 2: Some mice and some carvings

I hopped on a bus and arrived quickly at Animal Kingdom! I think I arrived shortly after rope drop, which we all know doesn’t really exist the same way now with early entrance to Pandora to deal with crowds. (Though I didn’t plan on heading to Flight of Passage)

pmQ0I0K.jpg

I said hi to Devine!

0Op4Ujj.jpg

Awesome familiar sight

LfC1ipl.jpg

I thought I’d maybe try to head into Pandora and hit up Navi River Journey, but the wait was longer than I wanted. (Though I think I’ve heard it can be over inflated at opening, so it probably would have been fine to get in line)

zM9OumH.jpg

Passing by the Tree of Life, I loved these little monkeys hanging around.

c6pkf4O.jpg

I headed out to go ahead and meet the main mouse and his gal pal! (I did have aspirations to meeting Mickey in every park during my visit, but being sick changed that.)

0XVgJ1d.jpg
5vfMcxg.jpg
ABj0mmp.jpg

A good character meet – I think they really liked my shirt. But not totally memorable.

GFvEoZR.jpg
Kf6YpKP.jpg
oTBb4nH.jpg

On my way out I took the back Tree of Life pathway. I was hoping to find some certain carvings of dinosaurs. Joe Rhode had posted on his Instagram pics of dinos that are supposed to be located underneath all the other animals, but I think that could maybe be in the TTBAB queue? Does anyone know what I’m talking about?

Anyways, I still loved all the carvings:

AmnBMzP.jpg
sHLy5AA.jpg
F1YIv4y.jpg
Ql5pwgC.jpg
FPiuXsv.jpg
bWotOUJ.jpg
3JS4Owo.jpg
vGmOz69.jpg
8oTAkot.jpg

Anyone read Game of Thrones – this reminds me of the entrance to Vaes Dothrak

RTCmSUY.jpg

They even have the little Joey in momma’s pouch!

YuyRDv2.jpg

And I saw the actual animals along the trail as I headed towards Africa

jDex4ge.jpg
TYCVF90.jpg

Into Africa where I stopped for a Photopass photographer

MIIJYBv.jpg
t5cdl7a.jpg
6owtOKr.jpg

Coming up: A Safari, a Show, and a "Brunch"

Love the Christmas Tree at AKL! I hope to stay here one day...

The detail on the Tree of Life is what makes that theme park landmark my favorite.

I didn't realize Mickey & Minnie are in their Christmas outfits at the AK meet & greet during this time of the season. I really like going in their and getting pictures in their safari gear on my trips.

What a beautiful morning in the DAK area! And I love your shirt, so perfectly festive and DAK themed.

Love your pics with Mickey and Minnie, sounds like a fun meet. I'm sure they were actually obsessed with the choice of shirt and ears.

That Lion Guard magic shot is what I need in life. Looks like Photopass is having a blast with that one. :goodvibes

That would have been hilarious if we did cross paths! Did you get the ornament?

I did! I didn’t see the one you got, that would have been great! I am indecisive so I took pictures and went back the next morning to buy one. I got an Animal Kingdom one with Minnie and Mickey in front of the Tree of Life.

But I'm headed to Disneyworld in less than 2 weeks!

So exciting!!

I said hi to Devine!

Nice! I haven’t seen her since our first trip, I think it was back in 2012... I’m always on the lookout though!

Hi there! I'm a little late but I'm following along now :) I keep meaning to read your DLP report (we're going in September!) so hopefully I can get over to that one, soon!

I made a breakfast/lunch stop at Homeboy Bakery (it’s actually a nonprofit organization which employs high-risk youth, former gang members, and recently released inmates to help them get work experience
That is so cool! We're flying in/out of LAX in July so I'll have to try and stop there.

so had utilized packing cubes to divide up my clothes so it was easy for each split stay
Packing cubes have changed the game, let me tell ya.

Fun solo trip so far! Sad to know you got sick in the middle, but I'm excited to read about the rest of it :D

That shirt is TOO cute!! :)

Ooh, I don't follow JR on instagram yet, but I'll look for him now that you mentioned it!! I'd love to know more about secret carvings if anyone finds them :)

A little late but joining in! I LOVE the tree at AKL. I want to stay there again so badly, and now I want to during the holidays!

The pictures with Mickey and Minnie are adorable! I love their Christmas sweaters and your shirt!

Hi Lesley, I've enjoyed your last couple of TR's so consider me joined in with this one now!

So sorry to hear you got sick during your stay although I'd rather be sick in WDW than anywhere else, it's still not great though :(

Looking forward to your updates, it's a dream of mine to stay at AKL, love all the pics!

I love your shirt. How perfect for Animal Kingdom and the Holidays! Of course I'm sure you knew that because you bought and are wearing it, but I felt the need to affirm your choice :-)

What a great room view you got. We had a room like that once (I think they call them the people pen rooms or something like that) and it was so great to have a savanna room without paying savanna prices

Love the Christmas Tree at AKL! I hope to stay here one day...

The detail on the Tree of Life is what makes that theme park landmark my favorite.

I didn't realize Mickey & Minnie are in their Christmas outfits at the AK meet & greet during this time of the season. I really like going in their and getting pictures in their safari gear on my trips.
I think I may have preferred in their safari gear, since I'm worried they will have those awful fixed cameras in place soon enough! But I'm not a huge character person anyways, so don't know if I'd take the time (and FP) to see them anyways!

I totally agree! I'm so sad this season will be its last...

Your tee is super cute!
Yeah, I love GoT so much! My cat is even named Arya!

What a beautiful morning in the DAK area! And I love your shirt, so perfectly festive and DAK themed.

Love your pics with Mickey and Minnie, sounds like a fun meet. I'm sure they were actually obsessed with the choice of shirt and ears.

That Lion Guard magic shot is what I need in life. Looks like Photopass is having a blast with that one. :goodvibes
I love going to etsy and finding Disney shirts that will coordinate with my park days!

It actually was the second try with the photographer! He was still "earning his ears" and I forgot to have him scan my MB before we started taking photos, so we had to do a second run through!

I did! I didn’t see the one you got, that would have been great! I am indecisive so I took pictures and went back the next morning to buy one. I got an Animal Kingdom one with Minnie and Mickey in front of the Tree of Life.

So exciting!!

Nice! I haven’t seen her since our first trip, I think it was back in 2012... I’m always on the lookout though!
I liked that ornament too! I liked that whole series - but if I got one, I'd need to get all 6 (they had coordinating ones for Disneyland and DCA), which was a bit financially irresponsible! For the one I got, I didn't even notice it was an ornament until I asked the CM about ornaments. But I got a similar one at WL too.

For Devine, I always see her on the right side of the pathway (closer to the large gate)! I don't remember if I saw her in March, but we did see her in September!

Cute pics with Mickey & Minnie!

I love the Tree of Life pathway, so many cool things to see!
Thanks! The Tree of Life is just sooo beautiful! If I ever bring kids there, I'm going to make them do a scavenger hunt to identify different animals!

Hi there! I'm a little late but I'm following along now :) I keep meaning to read your DLP report (we're going in September!) so hopefully I can get over to that one, soon!

That is so cool! We're flying in/out of LAX in July so I'll have to try and stop there.

Packing cubes have changed the game, let me tell ya.

Fun solo trip so far! Sad to know you got sick in the middle, but I'm excited to read about the rest of it :D
Welcome to the WDW TR!

That shirt is TOO cute!! :)

Ooh, I don't follow JR on instagram yet, but I'll look for him now that you mentioned it!! I'd love to know more about secret carvings if anyone finds them :)
He always gives great info about Disney and just worldwide art in general!

Etsy is my favorite shirt supplier!

A little late but joining in! I LOVE the tree at AKL. I want to stay there again so badly, and now I want to during the holidays!

The pictures with Mickey and Minnie are adorable! I love their Christmas sweaters and your shirt!
Next year I will be there right after Christmas, and even though I'm not staying at AKL, I will probably do a meal there just to see the tree and relax a bit!

Hi Lesley, I've enjoyed your last couple of TR's so consider me joined in with this one now!

So sorry to hear you got sick during your stay although I'd rather be sick in WDW than anywhere else, it's still not great though :(

Looking forward to your updates, it's a dream of mine to stay at AKL, love all the pics!
I loved AKL too - I remembered seeing videos about the whole construction of AK and AKL on the Disney Channel, so it was great to see it in person, and I loved staying there! I'd highly recommend it to anyone, and you can usually find good discounts!

I love your shirt. How perfect for Animal Kingdom and the Holidays! Of course I'm sure you knew that because you bought and are wearing it, but I felt the need to affirm your choice :-)

What a great room view you got. We had a room like that once (I think they call them the people pen rooms or something like that) and it was so great to have a savanna room without paying savanna prices
Haha, thanks for your approval! I actually found it by accident, when I was scrolling through one shop's inventory. I was already ordering one shirt from there, so I thought I'd see if anything else interested me to reduce shipping costs!

Thanks for sharing your trip report. I love trying all of the different food at Boma. Oh, and good luck to your Rams this weekend!

1/28 February Pre-Trip Update

I know I need to continue updating this TR, but I thought I'd post my Pre-trip plans for the trip in 1 week! I haven't created a full PTR, just because I already have 2 TRs I'm working on, I don't know if I'd ever update it!

As I mentioned, it's me and my mom on this trip. Mom only did 1 day at Disneyworld, over 30 years ago, at Epcot, and wasn't too impressed. Hopefully this trip will change her mind! She does like Disneyland though, so she's not anti-Disney at all!

Tuesday, Feb 5: Travel day

An early flight at 7am from LAX! Ugh! But at least we will get into MCO around 3pm, so we will have a good amount of AKL relaxation time! Dinner is at Sanaa (while I don’t particularly like Indian food, I do love Naan, so worst comes to worst, I’ll stuff myself with that!). We’ll play the rest of the night by ear – maybe go to Disney Springs, maybe just chill at the resort!

Wednesday, Feb 6: Animal Kingdom

We’ll start out with Boma breakfast, though we have a late reservation to account for jetlag/time differences. Then check out of AKL, transfer bags, and head to Animal Kingdom for our first park day. Focus is on Africa/Pandora/Tree of Life (I made plans considering walking distance because I know my mom can get exhausted easily). No particular lunch plans (maybe a snack if we are still stuffed from breakfast).

In the later afternoon we’ll head to check into our resort for the next 4 nights – Beach Club Villas. Depending on the time, maybe we’ll get to check out Stormalong Bay. But we have dinner reservations at Shulas that evening.

Thursday, Feb 7: Epcot

Breakfast at Garden Grill. Then spend the day focusing on Future World and Canada/UK pavilions. Fastpasses for the various rides, though we are skipping Mission Space and Test Track (I know mom won’t like them and I’m ok skipping them). We’ll also check out the festival offerings in that area of the park. When needed, we’ll take a break at the resort. Dinner is at Rose & Crown with my disfriend Zach and his dad. I had hoped we would have a view of Illuminations, but then they announced the dinner packages, which probably messed up that plan. But regardless, I think mom will like the food and atmosphere.

Friday, Feb 8: Animal Kingdom

Nothing planned for the morning, but Animal Kingdom for afternoon/evening. Asia/Dinoland was the focus, but we’ll also do another Safari and FoP ride because those are my favorite! A late lunch/early dinner at Tiffins with the Rivers of Light package. And enjoy the park at night plus watch that show. I realized very late that my mom would actually really like Beaches and Cream (she likes the large sundaes at classic places), but of course there were no more reservations, so I have a Touring Plans finder searching for it. Maybe we’ll get lucky and can end our night here. Otherwise, we may head over to Ample Hills Creamery instead.

Saturday, Feb 9: Epcot

Focus will be on the World Showcase and festival offerings. No specific meal plans, instead doing the food booths. And a break as needed. We have the Frozen Illuminations Dessert Party booked. I’ll probably keep it because I haven’t done that one yet.

Sunday, Feb 10: Cruise!

Breakfast at the Bon Voyage character breakfast. Then head down to Port Canaveral for the cruise!

Cruise plans:

Last week I upgraded our room from an inside to an oceanview. It only cost $184 total, so I think will be worth it. We have a dinner reservation at Palo, but no brunch times were available (debating whether to even try to get this on board, or just skip it for this cruise). No port excursions (we only have one stop in Nassau), but I probably will rent snorkeling gear at Castaway Cay. And just enjoy the overall atmosphere!

Thursday, Feb 14: Non-park day

I’m renting a car for this day, to get us from Port Canaveral back to WDW. We will probably make a stop at NASA since my extended family always bugs me about it! Depending on time, maybe we’ll stop at Disney Springs, but I don’t know yet. Then its off to the Polynesian where we have a studio villa for the next 2 nights. Dinner tonight is at Ohana, and we will see the fireworks from the beach.

Friday, Feb 15: Magic Kingdom

Our first Magic Kingdom day, focusing on Fantasy/Tomorrowlands. Lunch at Be Our Guest. And the Fireworks Dessert Party for the evening. We will probably take a mid-day break too.

Saturday, Feb 16: Departure & Magic Kingdom

Check our bags at RAC. Then over to Magic Kingdom. Breakfast at Crystal Palace (I gave mom a choice between that and 1900 Park Fare and she chose CP). Rest of the day planned for Frontier/Adventurelands. Our flight home isn’t until 8pm, so probably a 5pm pickup.

I’m definitely looking forward to this trip and I hope everything goes well!

Ha! My son named his cat Tyrion!!!
Love it!

Thanks for sharing your trip report. I love trying all of the different food at Boma. Oh, and good luck to your Rams this weekend!
Thanks! I'm definitely excited for the game! Hoping it goes well! I even considered trying to go to Atlanta, but it cost soooo much money (I didn't win the season ticket holder lottery), so I can't justify it!

The plans sound terrific! I'm sure you will turn your Mom into a WDW-lover on this trip! Rob and I really enjoyed our dinner at PALO on our cruise (13 years ago, sheesh!!). The brunch does look incredible, but with it being such a short cruise already, I maybe wouldn't worry about trying to fit that in, too.

Snorkeling off Castaway Cay is really awesome. I loved finding the sunken Mickey statue, and now there is a Minnie to find, as well. We snorkeled out to the end of the fenced area and there was a huge hole in the fencing. There was a gigantic scary looking fish with huge teeth, which I was convinced was a baracuda. I have never swam so fast in my entire life, I was back to shore almost immediately. Rob was like, "Where the heck did you go?!" He still insists I imagined the killer-fish. Just be careful out there in case I'm right! LOL :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!