And now for a change of plans-A Dec '18 Solo TR - COMPLETED 9/19

All caught up!
Sorry the Wild Africa Trek wasn't as good as the first time you did it in March. I can see how lunchtime would be an awkward time for the animals.

Kona Cafe can be really loud if there's a lot of bustle in the lobby.

Oh dear! That glitter explosion.... :rotfl: Small favors that you still had the morning at WDW and could exchange the broken ornament for a new one. If only it hadn't been raining. Guess you got some comfy socks and pants out of it!

Those Magic Bars are so delicious and I really want to try the campfire Cupcake if it's still around next month.

Rainy days at Disney aren't very fun, but it's better than not being in Disney...

First fastpass was Flight of Passage, another awesome flight! I think they also called for a single rider almost immediately, so I never really stopped walking until I got into the first pre-show room!

Maybe I'm dumb, but I literally didn't even know they had a single rider line. <goes to do research>

giphy.gif

My favorites of the whole park! LOVE them and was sad they were off exhibit in May.

(And the A/C was cranked up so it was FREEZING in there!)

I really hate that. It's too hot to wear a cover up or carry it around, but you literally freeze when you go inside. UGH!

I liked the atmosphere but wasn’t as big a fan of the food.

It is out of the box for sure. I can see where you might not enjoy the food, but yes, the vibe is so awesome in there!

😲 She's doing a ChunkyDump!!!!

Overall, I probably won’t bother spending the money to do this again. Maybe if I was visiting with someone who had never done it and wanted to, I’d consider it again. But it’s a lot of money! I still do recommend people who haven’t done it, give it a shot though, because it is pretty cool! (And actually if I hadn't had such a good time in March, I probably would have been totally satisfied with this one too.)

This is definitely a tour I've been wanting to do for quite a while. Totes on my list. That and SAvor the Savanah as well. I always love to hear people's opinions of them.

I had texted with my mom to let her know how wet I was (literally my feet and the bottom 2 ft of my legs were just saturated) and she gave the suggestion to get new socks. So, lightbulb! Why not get socks, shoes, pants. Because I would have been miserable on the plane if I was in pants which were soaked from the knees down!
Been there and done it. Not fun but, as you say, does clear out the park!

Some photos before leaving (this was also the week President Bush Sr had died so the flags were all at half mast for a while).

I love how Disney respects this act of patriotism and respect.

And before leaving I stopped to get a photopass picture to show off my amazing fashion sense…

7J4BidW.jpg

Ghetto, but you ROCK it!!

Oh and didn’t I look classy on that plane (I had actually worn my damp shoes thru security and switched to my 2nd pair of socks and dry sandals for the flight.

kTYnPhn.jpg

HAHAHAHA! I love this so much!! You are so darned cute!

I love those pics of you in the rain. It looks absoutely miserable but you have your poncho on and a smile on your face!

And a good excuse to buy some new clothes for the flight home! ;)

You got a nice spot to chill and dry your stuff a bit!

Always nice to make it home without any issues!

I have those same sandals! I bought them for the same reason! My sneakers got soaked in a May flash flood Disney storm! So sorry the last day was a washout, but I am glad you were able to get a seat near the fire place to warm up! Glad the Emporium was able to change our your broken ornament and package it properly! Glad to see they all made it home safe and sound! We are up to two Christmas trees at our house because we have so many ornaments, and I don't hate it.

I had gotten behind but I'm caught up. Love your hippopotamus shirt. That's on of my new favorite Christmas songs and it was perfect for visiting the hippos. Sorry the Trek wasn't as good as last time. I do want to try this someday. My youngest just got into the DCP and they get discounts for tours. It's on the top of her list. Sorry your last day was rainy. You did make the best of by enjoying the atmosphere of the lodge. It was also a good excuse for socks!

I'm so sorry your cold hung on for your last few days but you still got alot done. Love the sweat pants and sandals for the trip home, they look super comfy!!

Well, I guess I made it back just in time for you to finish this tr up!

I think it was also a good decision, because the traffic heading into MK was insane! Backed up all the way to DHS!

W7dAqTj.jpg
I don't understand why they haven't built Bus only lanes!

For breakfast I decided to finally try out a Lumpia, after all I love egg roll types of foods and pineapple. Though I wasn’t a huge fan of this.
I didn't really like it either. Meh.

Great picture of you.

I love these! We all have sunny beautiful skies pics. But who has these?

I signed us up for the Jingle Bell Jingle Bam Dessert party on Black Friday. I can't wait! I hope they do the ornaments again this year.

I actually like the sandals. And very smart!

Also, some photopass pictures!
Once again, amazing shirt.

Though I wasn’t a huge fan of this.
Same!!

Love those tigers! At this point they were about 1 yr old and had recently been separated from their mom (as they would have been in the wild). I talked to a CM and she said they would probably move onto another zoo once they start up breeding the mom and dad again.
Love these little bebes so much

I think it didn’t start out the best due to one of the guests getting a bit sick (maybe food poisoning)
Oh yikes they got sick during the tour?? How unfortunate
so I’d recommend that one or earlier – the 11:30 one may also be the first with lunch food and the AP discount).
We definitely want to do this at some point so I'll note that!

Can you tell the difference between the guide’s awesome DSLR and my iphone photos?
Are you able to take photos the whole time or only at certain points?

Not nondescript at all…
:rotfl:

Of course I did have a surprise when I checked the one package I had delivered to the resort, where the MVMCP ornament had shattered living a glitter explosion inside! Guess I would need to take it back to MK the next day to get a replacement.
Oh I thought it was going to be a fun kind of surprise but it definitely was not.

but as we got towards the MK, it just started to pour! Oof!
Yikes!

And thankfully it survived intact back home (here's a photo of some ornaments before decorating the tree).
Cute ones!!

(The CM double bagged all my things so they wouldn't get wet while I was walking outside, which was very thoughtful!)
Oh bless those extra kind CMs!

I was able to get a spot on the 4th floor fireplace nook, so chilled out there for a while.
I don't know if that's how you pictured ending your trip but it sounds like it was kind of peaceful and relaxing, especially since you got to spend time by the fireplace!

And before leaving I stopped to get a photopass picture to show off my amazing fashion sense…
Girl, you WORK it!

Hi Lesley! I had a tooonnnnn of catching up to do, so I didn't multi-quote, but I'm caught up again! Sorry to hear your Wild Africa Trek tour didn't quite stand up to the first time. As someone who's super phobic around vomiting and illness and whatnot, that definitely would have put a damper on my tour if I were you! We've only done the tour once so far, but we have it booked again for December at Nathan's request, and I chose the 11:30 tour, so hopefully I'll have a good experience and the animals will be out.

Ugh - abandoned this TR a bit before it finished! Just one of those times of year! And I'm soooo behind on everyone's TRs - like I don't even want to look in my "unread threads" tab!

The most bittersweet feeling: knowing that you're leaving today, but you'll be back for another trip of fun later!
Yeah, it is nice knowing I will return, just need to figure out when that will be!
Poncho pics are so fun!
They are! I loved all the photopass people huddling under doorways but still taking photos!
I'm so glad you were able to get that ornament exchanged because it's so cute!
Haha, yeah totally!
Just wanna say that I, too, tried to eat a campfire cupcake without a proper table this past trip and it was quite a struggle.

This looks like such a cozy afternoon!
Glad to know I'm not the only one!
This was an AMAZING TR! I love the way you write and can't wait for the wrap up and more importantly, THE FEBRUARY TR!
Aw, thanks so much! I'm going to try starting the Feb one before I leave (obviously won't finish it)!
Not cool Disney! It's her last day! Give her a break!
I know - the Disney weather bubble failed me!
But I guess it's more like:
glitter2.gif
Yup, pretty much! I'm sure there is still glitter in that couch at CCV!
Great idea! :)
Probably by other guests who were cold and wet.
Yeah, and people waiting to get their room ready texts!
That really annoys me. They know they're in a position of power and any little thing that bothers them they can take out on you because they know you are completely helpless to do anything.
Yup - give someone an inch and they'll take it!
Again, all of your WDW Christmas pics are making me want to plan a December trip! The WL is just gorgeous at Christmas :lovestruc
I want to go back for Christmas stuff too! I'll get a taste of it on my NYE trip, but it's not the same as going pre-Christmas.
Super cute! As were the adorable Mickey and Minnie you picked up for me :love:
Haha, I completely forgot about that!
Cute! I love your shirt ::yes::
Thanks! The Cinncinati Zoo was selling them with Baby Fiona on them! So cute!
That's too bad that it wasn't as good. I still think I'd like to try this one sometime.
Oh, I still absolutely recommend the tour! It really is fun and informative!
What?? I don't believe it!

I love walking around The Poly :love:
I had tried visiting twice before en route to the MK, but ended up getting rerouted to the Grand (once by design, once with a lost Uber driver).
That's kind of awesome…although, I don't know that I'd want to go on 7DMT in the rain.
I've ridden Incredicoaster in the rain! It's painful to feel those little raindrops like bullets!
I have those same shoes! I bought them during a monsoon in AK. Honestly, they are soooooo comfortable that I've been wearing them every day all summer. If they ever break I'd get another pair ::yes::
I still see them at the parks! I did try wearing them again to the parks and unfortunately they rubbed the wrong way and cut my feet a bit. But they are good for at-home shoes.

All caught up!
Sorry the Wild Africa Trek wasn't as good as the first time you did it in March. I can see how lunchtime would be an awkward time for the animals.

Kona Cafe can be really loud if there's a lot of bustle in the lobby.

Oh dear! That glitter explosion.... :rotfl: Small favors that you still had the morning at WDW and could exchange the broken ornament for a new one. If only it hadn't been raining. Guess you got some comfy socks and pants out of it!
I think the animals just were ready to go inside! Still got to see them close up though!

And I still am able to use those pants/socks!
Those Magic Bars are so delicious and I really want to try the campfire Cupcake if it's still around next month.

Rainy days at Disney aren't very fun, but it's better than not being in Disney...
I hope you got to try them!
Maybe I'm dumb, but I literally didn't even know they had a single rider line. <goes to do research>
Yes and no. They mostly just seem to occasionally put single riders in the center row, so they can easily grab them to fill a row.
It is out of the box for sure. I can see where you might not enjoy the food, but yes, the vibe is so awesome in there!
Yup, but it's a Rhode creation, so I do happily support it! (And I adore Tiffins)
😲 She's doing a ChunkyDump!!!!
Haha - about 5/6 months too early though!
This is definitely a tour I've been wanting to do for quite a while. Totes on my list. That and SAvor the Savanah as well. I always love to hear people's opinions of them.
You should definitely give it a try one day! Maybe we need to book up a whole Savor the Savannah for our next EPIC trip!
Been there and done it. Not fun but, as you say, does clear out the park!
I love doing that at Disneyland too. A couple years ago I was determined to enjoy it (last day before AP expired), but eventually called it a night and met my family for dinner somewhere else. They had to bring me a change of pants/socks/shoes since I was soaked from knees down!
I love those pics of you in the rain. It looks absoutely miserable but you have your poncho on and a smile on your face!

And a good excuse to buy some new clothes for the flight home! ;)

You got a nice spot to chill and dry your stuff a bit!

Always nice to make it home without any issues!
Yeah, I think I was just smiling at the absurdity of it all!
I have those same sandals! I bought them for the same reason! My sneakers got soaked in a May flash flood Disney storm! So sorry the last day was a washout, but I am glad you were able to get a seat near the fire place to warm up! Glad the Emporium was able to change our your broken ornament and package it properly! Glad to see they all made it home safe and sound! We are up to two Christmas trees at our house because we have so many ornaments, and I don't hate it.
I keep adding more and more Disney ornaments to my collection! I'm scared what I will come away with from Asia!
I had gotten behind but I'm caught up. Love your hippopotamus shirt. That's on of my new favorite Christmas songs and it was perfect for visiting the hippos. Sorry the Trek wasn't as good as last time. I do want to try this someday. My youngest just got into the DCP and they get discounts for tours. It's on the top of her list. Sorry your last day was rainy. You did make the best of by enjoying the atmosphere of the lodge. It was also a good excuse for socks!
Yeah, it was Fiona the Hippo from Cincinnati! Love that little girl. I hope your daughter is able to do the tour!
I'm so sorry your cold hung on for your last few days but you still got alot done. Love the sweat pants and sandals for the trip home, they look super comfy!!
It was comfy on the way home! I just gave up trying to look decent!

I don't understand why they haven't built Bus only lanes!
Seriously! Maybe eventually they will!
Great picture of you.
Haha, thanks!
I love these! We all have sunny beautiful skies pics. But who has these?
Yup! I did like the way they turned out!
I signed us up for the Jingle Bell Jingle Bam Dessert party on Black Friday. I can't wait! I hope they do the ornaments again this year.
You guys will have so much fun! So much yummy food! I'm undecided if I want to do the dessert party again in January.
Once again, amazing shirt.
I need to start collecting all my shirts to take to Asia!
Oh yikes they got sick during the tour?? How unfortunate
Well, it was more like they could tell they were about to be sick, so they left the tour before that could happen.
Are you able to take photos the whole time or only at certain points?
Pretty much. They do say you can't do it backstage, but the only place officially backstage is a dirt path in the trees between the hippo area and the savanna.
Oh I thought it was going to be a fun kind of surprise but it definitely was not.
Haha, nope! At least I got it taken care of!
Oh bless those extra kind CMs!
Yup! They totally understood what I was going for when they saw what I was buying too!
Hi Lesley! I had a tooonnnnn of catching up to do, so I didn't multi-quote, but I'm caught up again! Sorry to hear your Wild Africa Trek tour didn't quite stand up to the first time. As someone who's super phobic around vomiting and illness and whatnot, that definitely would have put a damper on my tour if I were you! We've only done the tour once so far, but we have it booked again for December at Nathan's request, and I chose the 11:30 tour, so hopefully I'll have a good experience and the animals will be out.
I know - I'm sooo far behind on everyone's TRs! I don't think I'll even attempt multi-quoting!

At least the person didn't actually get sick. More could tell he was going to get sick, so the guide took him to the nearest bathroom (he was all hooked up in the harness so it would have been a pain without someone to help). I think I only really knew what was going on because I was walking near that family group!

I'm sure you guys will have a fun time!

Soooo sorry I almost abandoned this TR right at the end! I haven't spent much time on the Dis lately - just trying to catch up with work and everything before my trip (which I leave for in 4 weeks and 1 day - eep)! Anyways, here is the grand finale...

Epilogue

I mentioned after the DVC Tour I had some follow-up. Well, on my last night at CCV I took out some paper and pen and did some calculations to see if it would be worth it to buy DVC. I considered buying direct vs resale vs a combination. I also asked my friends to see what they thought. And in the end, it worked out best to buy resale (I did check listings for smaller resale contracts, though they all had significant markups vs a moderate sized contract).

giphy.gif

Within a few days of my trip I placed an offer on a resale contract of 160 points at AKV (I received the contract to sign on Wednesday when I arrived home Sunday evening). Within 2 months I had closed and am officially a DVC owner! Woohoo! Also, thankfully, I got in before the resale booking restrictions came into play in mid-January. The points weren’t active in time to use them for my entire NYE trip, but I did end up renting out the banked points from 2018 to make a bit more money, and am using my own points for my upcoming February trip, plus one night at the end of the NYE trip. I’m pretty excited for the future!

giphy.gif

Wrapping it up

Of course this trip was a bit different.

My first time doing a 3-way split stay, which had its plusses and minuses. I liked being able to see other resorts, but it was a bit exhausting having to pack up everything every couple days. I am looking forward to NYE when it will be 9 nights in a single resort, so I can really relax!

My first time getting to see all the Christmas stuff, which I just loved! I will definitely be back at this time of the year in the future.

My first time staying DVC, which I obviously really liked. The studios were a perfect set-up for me, as I had the couch to relax and the bed to sleep.

Of course, my first time really getting sick at WDW. This wasn’t the most positive, but I had to make the most of it. And thankfully it wasn’t a once-in-a-lifetime trip, so I wasn’t too stressed about not getting to do and see everything. I did get to accomplish most of it though!

Some ornaments I ended up buying (I warned you I have an ornament problem-these are mostly the ones I bought in the previous year alone, with majority Disney):

kvHsNOo.jpg

Everest (made out of recycled oxygen containers from Everest climbers) & Animal Kingdom 20th

jzjn93l.jpg
KxQflT8.jpg

A passholder ornament (it came with a pin)

Xobq5Zj.jpg

Resort ornaments – AKL, WL, BW

As0Aj2E.jpg
joZ9UJK.jpg
N4Ra7c2.jpg
zQhHfGb.jpg
IiXHhXp.jpg

I got a bunch of pins, but can’t seem to find photos of those, so you’ll have to use your imagination!

And that’s it for now. I’m sure I’ll think of other things, but feel free to ask questions!

You got some really cute ornaments, I get my Grandchildren an ornament for Christmas every year and we're going to get them at Disney World this year. It will be a first Christmas ornament for my Grandson. Have fun in Asia, these next four weeks are going to fly by.

am officially a DVC owner! Woohoo!

Congrats! But be careful because before you know it, you'll be getting that pesky addonitis!

I loved reliving your trip with you. There is just something about WDW at Christmas…I've been twice, once in 2008 and once in 2015 (to say good-bye to the Osborne Lights). There has been so much added even since then and I'm dying to go back.

Your little Mickey & Minnie ornament is adorable :love:

Within 2 months I had closed and am officially a DVC owner
WOOHOO!!! Welcome Home!

I liked being able to see other resorts, but it was a bit exhausting having to pack up everything every couple days. I am looking forward to NYE when it will be 9 nights in a single resort, so I can really relax!
Yes, definitely a conundrum! It is amazing to be able to fully unpack/pack just once on the trip but then you do only get to see one resort! It's nice that you have different trips where you can change it up and get a little of both worlds.

Everest (made out of recycled oxygen containers from Everest climbers)
Okay this is so cool!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter