And I am here for the Food...A Disney SOMETIME (AUG '20 mini trip) Report (9/10 update)

I am in the exact same boat. It's so sad on so many ways for so many people!!!! Your next trip will work out beautifully!!!

Thank you!

Thank you :hug: Yup it's nuts and that's putting it nicely. I was on the phone/mostly on hold for over 10 hours today and it'll happen again and again during this!

They also closed our schools until the 30th and while I guess I get it not looking forward to it :(

I can only imagine. I tried to call to cancel my cruise earlier...was told it would be 60+ minute wait. Ummm...yeah I'll try again another time. I have until March 30th.

Yes kids are going to be quite bored for a while here. We really may try to do a quick getaway at the end of this week, hard to pass up those cheap flights. I'm still waiting for word that my original flights have been cancelled since I did that transaction online.

Quick life update...while I still have to work it's on an alternating week schedule so I won't see some of my employees for next 6 weeks AT LEAST for right now. So I'm taking advantage of being home and trying to get some things done.

All pretty disappointed that we aren't leaving for Disney today as planned. We had even talked about going down for the day just to get in a restaurant visit and maybe spend some time at a resort. I am afraid it's going to continue to get worse with cancellations. Of course now with Resorts closing and Disney Springs going I just don't see us even trying to make a quick trip down there as we had thought...just for dinner.

As for things here in Maryland, they have now closed down restaurants except for carry out which means now two of kids not only don't have school...but also no work. Plus no dance classes for my daughter, I think her recital in May is at risk of being cancelled too. School spring sports are cancelled and we are still waiting to see if the same holds true for recreational sports. Man we are going to have all kinds of extra time on our hands.

So to make things interesting I checked out some Mama Melrose copycat recipes this morning and that's my plan for dinner this Friday. It was one of my MILs favorite places and Friday is her birthday so we plan to have my FIL over for dinner Friday. We'll try to feel like we are in Disney even if we aren't and I'm not sure when we'll go now. My kids' spring break was cancelled. Our cruise in June out of Italy so far has NOT been cancelled...so I had to make final payment on it this week. I'm not thrilled about that but I don't know what else to do as apparently if I cancel even now I'm out $1000 of my $3800 paid for it. Obviously we would like to go but I really just don't see it happening.

If Disney opens back up, but my kids' school remains closed and I still am working an every other week shift...seems it would be a good time to go. However I just don't see that happening.

So it is really wait and see around here and no plan for any future trips. I suspect once things resume though the prices will be pretty low to get people back out again. Let's hope that means annual pass prices will drop and I can renew mine. I am still waiting to hear back from our airline about the flight I cancelled via online form.

Last edited:
This is all just so depressing. I’m so sorry you aren’t going to Disney today. I know how much you were looking forward to it. Hopefully life will get back to normal soon...❤️

I am right there with you. Last night our restaurants started the take out only thing and as of 8pm tomorrow all malls, bowling alleys, etc are closed. Kids spring break cancelled so even if Disney opened by the weeke before Easter we couldn't go; I did just book a Memorial weekend trip and am hoping with all my heart they're open.
Ricky has been hanging out out with friends the last few days but is still bored and I fear they will be out of school longer than 3/30 as currently scheduled :( And who knows if his class will be able to walk at graduation this year? So many "what ifs" right now and I just want it to be done!
Sorry about that :scared: I do love your idea of some MM dinner Friday! Please post how it turns out!

This is all just so depressing. I’m so sorry you aren’t going to Disney today. I know how much you were looking forward to it. Hopefully life will get back to normal soon...❤

I meant to type more above but I have a new tablet I'm using and I had to disable a feature that kept frustrating me when I typed too fast. I'll be thinking about Timny also and hoping he still gets to return this year. While knows maybe my trip can coincide with when you plan to take him back! So many unknowns right now.

I am right there with you. Last night our restaurants started the take out only thing and as of 8pm tomorrow all malls, bowling alleys, etc are closed. Kids spring break cancelled so even if Disney opened by the weeke before Easter we couldn't go; I did just book a Memorial weekend trip and am hoping with all my heart they're open.
Ricky has been hanging out out with friends the last few days but is still bored and I fear they will be out of school longer than 3/30 as currently scheduled :( And who knows if his class will be able to walk at graduation this year? So many "what ifs" right now and I just want it to be done!
Sorry about that :scared: I do love your idea of some MM dinner Friday! Please post how it turns out!

I read about your Spring Break also. So sorry. Still as many suspect I think this is going to be a disappointing year for many HS Seniors. I don't expect my kids high school will open again before Spring Break. The activities they have been pushing online so far for the county for schools have been worthless to my two high school kids. They checked them out yesterday and unfortunately the stuff is below what that have learned. Will be interesting to see how this is handled if school stays closed. My kids have mostly stayed home. Trying to make the best of it all. I read last night that the local indoor malls will now be closing. The governor is scheduled to speak ag 10am today and I suspect there will be more shutdowns. I think is isn't unreasonable to suspect I might not return to work next week as currently planned. I do think a full lockdown such as Italy enacted could be coming. I may hit the grocery store again this morning just in case.

Crazy times here for sure.

Guess I'll do a quick life update here. Yesterday our governor closed all non-essential businesses effective at 5pm. As of today I am sitll working though as our particular segment is not subject to those rules.

My kids are all home and while as of now schools are closed only until Friday this week (it was a 2 week closure) I suspect that will be changing. The county sent out a survey yesterday about technology available in the homes of people. I expect they are gearing up to figure out how to do distance learning among the schools similar to how colleges are all doing starting very soon.

Last week I got to stay home and was able to get a lot done around the house, mostly cooking and cleaning things. This week my husband is home doing some home improvement projects. What else is there to do really? We are trying to stay as busy as possible at home.

My oldest child turns 20 on Saturday. Of course there will be no going out to eat as restaurants closed a while ago except for carry out, but we will make the best of it. I picked up a cheesecake from Cheesecake Factory yesterday for him. Expensive yes but still cheaper than a meal out would have been, especially since our original plan was his meal out would be at Flying Fish...last week.

I have yet to hear back from Spirit regarding my flight "credit" even though it's supposed to be coming. We'll see. Hopefully these airlines are able to stay solvent until people are able to really travel again. It's crazy how cheap flights in the US are right now.

I also had to make the final payment on my Greece and Italy cruise...in June...but I honestly don't expect that will happen. The cancellation penalty was higher than I expected so for now I'm just going to wait it out as at minimum I have a pre-paid cruise credit on RC I can use in the future.

Not really sure what to do about rescheduing our March trip. The DVC points still have to be used this year. I just don't know when to even try to schedule a trip. I'd be okay with June or July, but maybe we should hold off until later? I still have my one-day park hopper for Disney that I'll probably add days to and of course I have the 2 day tickets to Sea World/BG Tampa as well.

This all seems so surreal but we have to try to make the best of it. I have no doubt once it seems "safe" to travel again we'll be getting out and about but I don't know if that will happen before the summer...or even fall.

Until then, hang in there everybody!

Hey Dina, hope you guys are hanging in! Happy Birthday to your son 🎂 stinks for everyone having birthdays during this time, Ricky turns 18 on 4/8. First we were supposed to be on our cruise, then in Disney - now home most likely with takeout. But at least we'll all be together and he can party with his friends when this is over!
Our schools were originally opening back up the 1st but they announced yesterday we're closed through 4/18 which didn't surprise me. Chris isn't happy but I told him the next 3 weeks will go by just like the last 2 did.
Good luck with your March points :( I don't understand all the DVD stuff, I know some were getting their points "back"? Or whatever it's called lol but it depended on if they were already borrowed?? Whatever the case I hope it works out for you. We're still planning all 3 of our trips this year in May, July and Sept. until we can't physically go!

he cancellation penalty was higher than I expected so for now I'm just going to wait it out
Ah did you book the non refundable rate? If so then your best bet is going to most likely be paying in full and then either going if it's on or waiting until they cancel it as they've been great with what they're offering guests for cancelled sailings.

Hey Dina, hope you guys are hanging in! Happy Birthday to your son 🎂 stinks for everyone having birthdays during this time, Ricky turns 18 on 4/8. First we were supposed to be on our cruise, then in Disney - now home most likely with takeout. But at least we'll all be together and he can party with his friends when this is over!
Our schools were originally opening back up the 1st but they announced yesterday we're closed through 4/18 which didn't surprise me. Chris isn't happy but I told him the next 3 weeks will go by just like the last 2 did.
Good luck with your March points :( I don't understand all the DVD stuff, I know some were getting their points "back"? Or whatever it's called lol but it depended on if they were already borrowed?? Whatever the case I hope it works out for you. We're still planning all 3 of our trips this year in May, July and Sept. until we can't physically go!

Ah did you book the non refundable rate? If so then your best bet is going to most likely be paying in full and then either going if it's on or waiting until they cancel it as they've been great with what they're offering guests for cancelled sailings.

Thank you for the birthday wishes. Yeah hopefully we can make it up to both of these kids once parks open again. I told DH this morning as soon as they are open we'll just pack our car and GO!

Our schools are closed through April 24th but they are gearing up for online learning. And Noah was scheduled for driver's ed classes next week...they are doing those online now as well. So it's going to be an interesting few weeks as they kids get into the online schooling I think for the HS at least they still have to work things out a bit since right now they have them doing school for 3 hours in the morning and then another 3 in the afternoon, well past the normal school end time with a 2 hour lunch break. I don't think they need THAT much time online really.

So my DVC points were actually not "March" Use Year points...since my contract is a December one. Basically since they are borrowed for this Use Year, it just means I have to use them by the end of the 2020 calendar year, so I have some time. We'll see what happens.

As for the cruise, yes it's the non refundable so our choices right now are wait until they cancel (and that's really a WHEN over an IF...RC has only cancelled through April right now, so I expect any June dates won't be cancelled until May...I'm sure to ease the bleed a bit for them). I don't see us taking the "credit" because who knows what we will end up doing, but I"m not sure what I'll do when they will end up "crediting" my credit card back for the amount...which won't be small of course.

Lots of unknowns for anything fun this year for sure. So many things up in the air. Such a strange time to be on this earth.

As for the cruise, yes it's the non refundable so our choices right now are wait until they cancel (and that's really a WHEN over an IF...RC has only cancelled through April
Yeah they seem to be following a couple other cruise lines - each time more cruises are cancelled we get the notifications in the same order lol. The others wait for the one that goes first with the cancellings and they seem to also follow in the same order! Its weird, we noticed it the 2nd round of cancellations.

So greetings from the world of social distancing here in Maryland. I'm home from work for now, pretty much feel like we won't be returning at least until end of April, but I'm fortunate enough to be getting paid. I just need to find ways to keep myself occupied other than cooking...and eating...and binge watching. This is the first week that kids are getting back to doing some kind of schoolwork, all online of course. So today we have kids spread out in rooms to do online learning or meeting with teachers...while DH spends time painting some bedroom ceilings since he's also home this week from work.

I am definitely missing the vacation planning for sure. I don't know what to do about trying to plan another Disney trip this year. I'd love to consider an August trip but I just don't know if that will be far enough out. At least I did finally get my credit for my airfare...but don't plan to book anything of course until I have a real plan.

And in other vacation news I'm still on the hook for the Italy/Greece Cruise in June which I know won't happen but still have to wait for it to be officially cancelled by the cruise line.

Hope all is well for everybody who might still be reading!

Hi Dina! So sorry about all your trips. I know how much you were looking forward to the cruise especially. Hopefully you will get refunded in full and you can reschedule.❤️❤️❤️ It will all work out in the end.

I am missing the planning as well. We have an August trip but we don't think we will be going.

I am definitely missing the vacation planning for sure. I don't know what to do about trying to plan another Disney trip this year. I'd love to consider an August trip but I just don't know if that will be far enough out. At least I did finally get my credit for my airfare...but don't plan to book anything of course until I have a real plan.

And in other vacation news I'm still on the hook for the Italy/Greece Cruise in June which I know won't happen but still have to wait for it to be officially cancelled by the cruise line.

Hope all is well for everybody who might still be reading!
I hope you and your family are doing well. We started online learning with our grade 12 boys today. My kindergarten classroom is now online as well and we had our first day today which went pretty well, all things considered. I am missing vacation planning too! I cancelled my July trip yesterday, we have no idea when our border is going to open for non essential travel. I have a trip tentatively booked for December but only time will tell if that will be a go or not.

I really hope everything works out for you with a refund for your cruise.

Hi Dina! So sorry about all your trips. I know how much you were looking forward to the cruise especially. Hopefully you will get refunded in full and you can reschedule.❤❤❤ It will all work out in the end.

Aw thanks...yeah the Italy trip was several weeks of planning that I pretty much have to just bag right now. Hopefully we can do something similar next summer.

I am missing the planning as well. We have an August trip but we don't think we will be going.

Yeah...sorry to hear that for you too. I just can't imagine things will be normal "enough" by August to try a trip.

I hope you and your family are doing well. We started online learning with our grade 12 boys today. My kindergarten classroom is now online as well and we had our first day today which went pretty well, all things considered. I am missing vacation planning too! I cancelled my July trip yesterday, we have no idea when our border is going to open for non essential travel. I have a trip tentatively booked for December but only time will tell if that will be a go or not.

I really hope everything works out for you with a refund for your cruise.

Thanks so much. Wow how awesome of you to brave doing a kindergarten class online. Good for you. Sorry you had to cancel a July trip and I will keep my fingers crossed for your December trip for sure.

I just need to find ways to keep myself occupied other than cooking...and eating...and binge watching. Th
Ha ha same here! Especially with the eating................and I'm actually getting sick of watching TV. My butt hurts from sitting! I finished a book the other day and decided to clean out my book shelf when I put it back; nice surprise to find a book I'd picked up somewhere for cheap but never read so I have that at least!

It's all messed up with vacations for sure :( We have a few different 2020 Disney trips booked right now and will go on whatever ones we can depending when they open, we should have left yesterday on the Dream for our Bahamas cruise. Tomorrow we were supposed to be celebrating Ricky's 18th birthday on board but Instead we're here, kids doing their online work which luckily is going ok so far as we just started Friday. Steve is finding things to do around the house, and I'm the one dealing with everyone being home since I work from home!

Stay well xoxo

Ha ha same here! Especially with the eating................and I'm actually getting sick of watching TV. My butt hurts from sitting! I finished a book the other day and decided to clean out my book shelf when I put it back; nice surprise to find a book I'd picked up somewhere for cheap but never read so I have that at least!

It's all messed up with vacations for sure :( We have a few different 2020 Disney trips booked right now and will go on whatever ones we can depending when they open, we should have left yesterday on the Dream for our Bahamas cruise. Tomorrow we were supposed to be celebrating Ricky's 18th birthday on board but Instead we're here, kids doing their online work which luckily is going ok so far as we just started Friday. Steve is finding things to do around the house, and I'm the one dealing with everyone being home since I work from home!

Stay well xoxo

I'm with you...my tv time is mostly to also get other stuff done on my computer. I've done a few new video compilations from previous vacations. We have relived several of our past Disney trips via online videos for sure. Sad...and we definitely miss cruising for sure.

I really do want to get back into some reading, I know I have several books I've purchased in the past but haven't read yet, mostly electronic ones but I also have a few paperbacks I might go through too.

So sad for you about the cruise...and hopeful for at least one of your 2020 trips at this point. Hope Ricky has a great birthday celebration.

This is what we are thinking too. This all just really stinks but we will reschedule for another time.

Yeah...we are all in this together and together we will be again someday. Hang in there!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!