And Disneyland Too??!! Our budget return after 5 Years! *OMG Update July 12th!!!!

DnA2010

Rope Drop!
Welcome to my 1st Trip Report!

I have been inspired by so many fantastic trip reports that I am going to attempt to write one. Don’t get excited, it’s not going to be that great- 1. I haven’t posted pictures or anything yet before and 2. It will all be off memory as at the time I didn’t think I would be writing this TR and didn’t take any notes. Future trip (whenever that is) will have notes taken for sure!

The Details:

This is BUDGET trip! We already spent our vacation allotment this year on a birthday Vegas trip for DH and I, and then on a cruise on the Fantasy in May! I was thinking that the cruise would be my first TR, however we are currently missing a big chunk of our photos! I hope DH can find them! Ironically, it wasn’t supposed to be such a budget trip, however when I saw a great GT rate for the Fantasy, and found I could get the flights on aeroplan… we were off to Florida for a week on the Fantasy and a day at MK. We went Mega cheap on the room and flight and spent the money doing fun extras (see Tickets below!)

So: October 18-25th

Hotel:

Anaheim Plaza Hotel and Suites, booked on Travelocity- with the crazy exchange, Travelocity allowed me to book in Canadian dollars, which saved a few 100 over the best rates I could pull. My criteria was simply within walking distance, and the Plaza was the best price within that immediate area. You know what, it was fine. We spent 7 nights there.

Flight:

Good old scary Allegiant air (I said budget right!) heck the price was right, we did make it (spoiler- we were delayed! Our first time on Allegiant)

Tickets:

-5 day Park Hoppers- I used up DH’s airmiles to buy 2 hoppers, then bought 1 more.

-Oct 22nd Mickey’s Halloween Party!

-Our first experience with Photopass!

-Blue Bayou Fantasmic Dining package! This was totally worth it!

Cast of Characters:

Myself:

I work long hours Mon-Thurs (leave the house at 5:40am- return at 6pm) vacations truly keep me going! I am also getting over an ankle injury, that 2 surgeries later has really slowed me down. I walked this whole trip, we had decided that it if got too much we would rent a scooter, but we didn't have to

Horse lover- between DH and I we have 2 horses and a pony- oops!

Fav Park: Disneyland

Fav Ride: Pirates

Fav Characters: Cindy, Disney horses, Minnie

DH:

Works crazy shifts with the ambulance service so also finds vacations the release he needs from the stress of his job

His family has always had horses so puts up with my obsession

Loves to ski, his motorcycle (an old BMW)

Fav Park: Epcot, Disneyland

Fav Ride: I will check!

Fav Characters: Goofy, Mickey

And last but not least:

DD11
One year apart in Drumheller:

Loves soccer

Fav Park: Disneyland (she hasn’t been to WDW yet other than MK)

Fav Ride: Space

Fav Characters: Sitch, Tiana

So our last trip to DL was when DD was 6:

Wasn’t she cute!

The other member of our family who didn't get to come on the trip- our goldendoodle dog Cooper:

We decided it was high time we got back!

Last edited:
Day 1- Travel-

Apologies as pictures were really lacking on Day 1-

Our flights were out of Bellingham at 3pm- the drive is about 3.5 hours, with an easy border crossing. I made sure we were out of the house quite early as I’d rather be safe than sorry when it comes to travelling on highways, crossing borders and dealing with airports. It was a Sunday, so there was a chance the border could be busy…it wasn’t and we were easily across. We stopped at Arbys (no pics, sorry about that) before heading to the airport. We arrived at the parking about 2.5-3 hours early, but like I said, I’d much rather be early. We checked our 1 bag (we brought a bunch of food/snacks and had costumes and that so figured we should check a bag) and headed easily through security..to arrive at the flight board to see our flight DELAYED Boo! Instead of 2 more hours of waiting, we had about 4 now…

To pass the time we played some small games, played on the ipad, had a drink in the bar, read the local paper, till finally we got to load and were on our way! Apparently there was a big storm in Las Vegas which is a hub for Allegiant- one of their flights to Vegas was cancelled but thankfully the flight full of kids going to Disney stayed on the schedule! Yay! I know this sort of thing happens will Allegiant, and you take this risk booking, but other than this delay, we’ve never had any issues.

So after arriving and gathering our bags, we headed to the rental car pick up- as our hotel had free parking, and I had got a rental car through Travelocity in Canadian dollars through Thrifty for less than the cost of shuttle/DLE, rental car it was. We waited for the Thrifty bus…and waited and waited…I’m sure you are catching my drift..saw the buses and shuttles for the other companies come by a few times when finally a Thrifty bus came. There were about 5 other groups on the bus so DH and I quietly determined that he and DD would manage the bags while I headed in. By now it’s around 8:30ish (I think, it could have been later) and as I walk in, first off our bus I see a line with at least 7-8 parties waiting. Awesome. And 2 people working, of which one quickly disappeared. Over an hour later, we walk out, having been told to grab a compact car (budget trip right) of course there are no compacts- can we find a person to ask? Heck no. Finally DH goes in, and goes up to the counter, politely interrupts the lady and states that there are no compacts- she huffs and makes a big production and tells him to take the next size up. He comes back and we get in a car and are off. On our way out we mention that there is a GPS left in the car, the person at the gate (who DH had to go find) says that it is fine. This is handy for us as we don’t have internet on our phones in the states are are relying on Wifi etc.

Arrive at the hotel finally, get checked in, and collapse in the room. DH runs and grab some subway sandwiches and we all collapse in bed. We had planned to get groceries that night, however the crazy delays in the flight, waiting for the shuttle and getting the car took care of that.

Day 2-

We dragged ourselves up and headed to the park for RD- we are morning people and would rather get lots done before crowds, and we planned to leave late afternoon for a break and to go to a store.
Love these

DH took a few pics of the Halloween décor, but mostly we just chatted with each other and the others around us. As…We were in DL of course!!

DD not realizing her picture was being taken and me looking dorky in the back ground

We did the rush to PP first, and then ask DD what she wanted to do-

She chose Dumbo – classic

After a spin, Peter Pan was hanging around, just playing as there was no one meeting him, so we went to say hello.

Maria then wanted to ride the subs (we had decided, as we were here for 5 days plus a HP that we were not going to be as commando this trip) so we headed that direction, running into Mary and Bert- well- we had such a fantastic time meeting them. They didn’t have a line, so we went up to say hello, and having lived in England for a year I took up a conversation and Mary took my arm, Bert to Maria’s and off we went for stroll, chatting away. DD was awe and did her best to keep up a conversation with Bert. We walked for quite a while, people would try and stop Mary and Bert and she would blow them off and keep walking. DD still talks so much about the at experience.

(I know I take horrible pictures, not like DH DD!)

We had a nice tour on the subs, visiting Nemo

DH really enjoyed finding these fellows: (more to come)

Up Next:
"They're putting me in charge??!!"

So the next surprise I had for DD was something I was excited for that I had learned about on the DIS-

We headed across the park, arriving at the beautiful Mark Twain. DH headed for a FP to Big Thunder, while M and I chatted with the lovely cast member who was working at the front.

I asked her if it might be possible for us to CAPTAIN THE MARK TWAIN!! DD really had no clue what I was asking, and the adorable (I feel awful I didn’t take note of her name, however we did mention her at City Hall as she was so lovely)

She got a very excited look and said to DD- “You look like just the girl- how would you like to take my ship for a spin?” I think DD’s jaw hit the ground and she stuttered “I don’t have a license- but my mom and dad do?” The lovely CM smiled, threw her arm around DD’s shoulders and said, you don’t need one, I can teach you! A bug eyed DD followed along!

We were let into the door that leads to the passage up top- our CM pulled the boat out and we were off- she asked who was first and DD decided an experienced driver should go first, so I took the wheel, while our CM direct DD on how to pull the steam whistle- too cool!

[/URL
]

[/URL
]

[/URL
] (DD yelled at me here to hold onto the wheel ;) )

DD was nervous that I was going to hit the rafts going to Tom Sawyers Island, but I managed to miss them.

[/URL
]

[/URL
]

DH all this time was busy waving to the people down below and trying to get people on the Island to see him and wave back- he was about 50% successful (an aside- DH loves to wave to people on the ski chairlift when we go up hiking in the summer, and people are riding the chair both up and down)

After watching me for a while, DD took the wheel- at first with assistance from our CM, then solo. She had a blast- she is now an excellent driver you see ;) figures cars are next, good thing we have 4 years till she is old enough to start.

[/URL
]

[/URL
]

We visited the wildlife

[/URL
]

[/URL
]

[/URL
]

We visited the First Nations (DD liked these guys- she is part first nation as her real mother is half African American, half First nation- I’m sure some of you guys were wondering when you look at DH and I. DD lives with us full time but does visit her mom sometimes)

[/URL
]

The ride was over wayyy to soon! Such a great experience. We got to sign the log book and then headed out. We gave big waves to our CM friend. We actually ran into her later in the week- DD announced that she was now ready for cars- with a big wink to DH and I she told DD that must be the case. DD to this day loves to tell people how she didn’t crash the Mark Twain Riverboat at Disneyland

[/URL
]

[/URL
]

Last edited:

That is so cool the CM let you and your daughter steer the Mark Twain Riverboat! I actually never knew that Cast Members manually steered the boat and that it wasn't on a track. Loved the impromptu character meets - those are my favorite kind!

That is so cool the CM let you and your daughter steer the Mark Twain Riverboat! I actually never knew that Cast Members manually steered the boat and that it wasn't on a track. Loved the impromptu character meets - those are my favorite kind!

We aren't actually steering, although I haven't had the heart to tell DD :)

Impromptu meet-ups are one of the many special features of DL in my opinion, they are seriously special indeed pixiedust:

I didn't know you had written a TR until I saw your response in another TR I am reading and saw your siggy!!! I'm here I'm here I'm reading and following!! :)

After our ship experience we had a quick go on Big Thunder using the FPs that DH had grabbed:

We rode Poo;

We laughed at "No Dancing" signs

We then decided to head back towards Main Street to get some lunch, as we didn't have anything packed due to not getting to the store yet for grocceries

Being a horse gal I had to visit the horse stopped in the Hub- I believe this is Ducky:

We headed over to the Little Red Wagon at the East end of Main Street for some yummy corn dogs:

I had apples with mine, DH and DD11 had chips

I believe after this we headed across Main Street, stopping to meet these two:

Note: DD wasn't interested in characters when we had visited when she was 6- this time she asked for an autograph book, so we obliged, hoping it would cause character interaction- yup! She didn't always know how to interact with the characters, but the book helped, and slowly she let herself get lost in, and accept them.

Next up, the afternoon :)

Argh, again the Disboards didn't send me a notification......:headache:

How is your DD only 11? My goodness, she looks so grown up!!!

Loving your photos, you're getting some unique shots!

Argh, again the Disboards didn't send me a notification......:headache:

How is your DD only 11? My goodness, she looks so grown up!!!

Loving your photos, you're getting some unique shots!

I know! Blows my mind! She is very mature looking for her age! She was 11 and 4 months when these pictures were taken. Generally people think she is around 14...on the cruise she was able to go into Edge as she was turning 11 in a few weeks, when we went to give her permission, she looked like the oldest in there by far. Thankfully she isn't into boys yet, but I'm not looking forward to gr8 when she goes to high school! (she's currently in 6)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter