Ancestory DNA testing

But is it actually verified that they're identical? Many twins who look alike assume that they're identical, but often DNA testing reveals that they actually aren't - they're fraternal twins that look identical.

I agree with you isn't rare to have identical triplets (monozygotic- fertilized egg splits 3 ways)

I have used both 23 and me and ancestry.com - each are good depending on what it is you are looking for- I did NOT find what I am looking for on 23 and me but Ancestry was much better for me. I also had my brother do ancestry (we are both adopted-from different families). I found my birth mom and 3 half siblings prior to ancestry but still trying to locate my bio father-getting close. My brother on ancestry found first an aunt then a first cousin leading him to his birthmother, birthfather and a very shocked birth half brother! All my brother originally wanted to know was what was he but then when he saw close matches he got curious. He recently had lunch with his new cousin! My mom was curious so I bought her a test- well she was very surprised to find out her father had a child years before marrying her mother and she had a half sibling! Its always fun when you get a message saying "hey we are related" and then trying to piece them into where they fit in your family! My daughter has tested too- she was born via donor and has 30 half siblings out there- we know about half of them and have located and had dinner with the donor.

The show said they were identical. I didn't do the investigative reporting, I just read video posted by another person. Here is another link that says woman used several different companies and got very different results. So while entertaining, I just wouldn't rely on the test as gospel. https://www.google.com/amp/s/dna-explained.com/2013/10/04/ethnicity-results-true-or-not/amp/

As was already explained in this thread, ethnicity estimates are not an exact science. Of course different companies employing different algorithms are going to produce different results. As I said, you can go to Gedmatch and try out different algorithms on your DNA to see how different the results are. The Ethnicity thing is just fluff in the world if DNA genealogy. Something that might result in a few more sales for those people for whom ethnicity is important.

That doesn't mean the DNA tests are inaccurate. As I also said, I submitted both my AncestryDNA and Family Tree DNA to Gedmatch, and Gedmatch determined that I was an extremely close relative to myself. Meaning an exact match. Even though the DNA was extracted by two different labs. That gave me a high degree of confidence that there are real standards and controls in these DNA testing labs. Every close match I have made contact with we can find a common relative usually within 3 or 4 generations. It has been great to verify branches of speculative paper genealogy.

I didn't get a chance to let hubby read these post. He jumped in and ordered 2 DNA testing kits one for me and one for him. I'm still planning on having him read these comments nd see if he wants to do any other DNA testing that some of you have mentioned

I did it for my son. He's adopted and was supposedly 1/4 African American. Everyone who knew him swore there was no way and most guessed he was a combination of Hispanic and Caucasian. I really wanted to know. He came back exactly 3/4 Caucasian and 1/4 African.

I just got the results back for my dad. Interesting, fun, pretty much as we expected. My brother and I are next to try and learn a little more about our moms ethnicity. She passed away 23 years ago and has no full siblings left alive. It's fun!

I did Ancestry DNA and while at first it was great getting linked to potential relatives, some of them do not get online often or don't have a family tree done so its hard to figure out how we are related. My Native American ancestry did not pop up which leads me to believe we might not have any. It did show I was of Italian decent but I have no idea where it came from. I plan on having my Grandfather do a test along with my Father. I wasn't disappointed with the testing but the references/source material used to find information on family members.

I did Ancestry DNA and while at first it was great getting linked to potential relatives, some of them do not get online often or don't have a family tree done so its hard to figure out how we are related. My Native American ancestry did not pop up which leads me to believe we might not have any. It did show I was of Italian decent but I have no idea where it came from. I plan on having my Grandfather do a test along with my Father. I wasn't disappointed with the testing but the references/source material used to find information on family members.

One thing to keep in mind is migration. So while you may not have found any relatives in Italy yet they could have been living somewhere else. You see it a lot in Scandinavia with the Vikings and the UK.

I have done both 23andMe and Ancestry.com's DNA tests.

From my experience, if you are new to genealogy and looking to trace your family tree and find distant cousins, Ancestry is the better bet. While it's true that many people take the Ancestry DNA test and never fill out a family tree, many others do. I have met so many cousins online that way (2nd to 4th) and in so doing we have been able to combine information to the joint parts of our family tree. And one of the easiest features to use on Ancestry (once you start filling out the basics of your own family tree) is to let it help find matches to your DNA from among the other people who have taken their test.

23andMe provides all kinds of information, but not all of it may be immediately useful for genealogy unless you've done a lot of family tree work or had a really well done family tree handed down to you. All kinds of people may show up as matching fragments of your DNA, but in my situation it's almost impossible to figure out how we might be related.

Ancestry.com works best if you're willing to put in a little time while you're waiting on your test results to fill out what you know on your family tree so that their search engine has more options to match you to potential relatives. (It will still match your DNA as a match/probable match to someone else who is a match, but the more names in your family tree the easier it is to figure out where you might be related.)

Having your DNA tested through Ancestry, 23andMe, or Family Tree DNA is worth the $ if you are doing more than ethnicity searching. If you are struggling with a genealogical brick wall or want to see what you might be genetically predispose to then it is worth the price. Like the others posted earlier Ancestry usually has a 30% sale around Black Friday. And like posted earlier you can then upload your DNA results to GEDMATCH.com for free to see more information. There is also a site called Promethease where you can pay $5 and upload your DNA results and they will give the most extensive genetic medical information about yourself that I have come across. It is worth reading reviews on DNA testing and check out reviews on Promethease before you decide. Also, interesting tip I learned from Ancestry - Having Native American show up on your list can mean that you are descendant from any of the Native American tribes from Canada to tip of South America they do not distinguish anymore than that.
Warning genealogy can be addictive. :)

I did this for Max the other day and, holy cow, they had information on over 13,000 of his genes. One test I had done for drug metabolism on him (at a price of over $1,000) a few years back popped up his mutation immediately on Promethease.

Are there any medical people reading this thread? Can you shed light on this?

I read if you are an organ transplant recipient, that does NOT change your DNA. True?

But if you are a bone marrow transplant recipient, that DOES change your blood DNA. True?

So this DNA genealogy testing is done with saliva. Does anything change that DNA result?

My brother did this many years ago (when it only seemed to work for the male line). No surprises.

My DH did it via National Geographic about 5-6 years ago. He recently did it via Ancestry but hasn't gotten the results back yet.

Last edited:
I read if you are an organ transplant recipient, that does NOT change your DNA. True?

But if you are a bone marrow transplant recipient, that DOES change your blood DNA. True?

So this DNA genealogy testing is done with saliva. Does anything change that DNA result?

I'll have a MS in biotechnology, so I'm not really a medical professional, but have extensive knowledge in genetic information and molecular biology.

If you are an organ transplant recipient, it is correct that would not change your DNA. Also, the organ's DNA would not be changed either, unless it was coated in your own stem cells.

If you are a bone marrow transplant recipient, you then can be considered a chimera. Meaning, like you asked, the DNA in your blood cells is now different than the DNA in all other organs in your body.

Nothing should change with a spit test or swab - since these cells do not originate from the bone marrow.

I'll have a MS in biotechnology, so I'm not really a medical professional, but have extensive knowledge in genetic information and molecular biology.

If you are an organ transplant recipient, it is correct that would not change your DNA. Also, the organ's DNA would not be changed either, unless it was coated in your own stem cells.

If you are a bone marrow transplant recipient, you then can be considered a chimera. Meaning, like you asked, the DNA in your blood cells is now different than the DNA in all other organs in your body.

Nothing should change with a spit test or swab - since these cells do not originate from the bone marrow.
Thanks! I always wondered that. It's good information to know.

Actually, you getting the test would probably be the best method your family has of linking family history together in lieu of available records. It would be more valuable for you to take the test than your DD because you are male and have both X and Y chromosomes, which gives more information.

My mom is very into genealogy and she did DNA testing through 23 and Me, I believe. She also had tests done for my grandfather and brother. It reinforced her previous research. There weren't any huge surprises for us, but my mom has been researching our family history for over 10 years. She is very close to submitting for the Mayflower Society, but is still missing one crucial record showing a connection. I am considering having my husband take this test. Given that he is of Indian decent, I wonder if it would show anything surprising.

Native or Indian American? When I first did an origins type DNA test several years ago, it had my Native bits coming from South America. Right hemisphere, totally wrong continent. Then they updated and now it had half my native ancestry in Arizona and the other half in Siberia. From what I heard at the time, Siberia was fairly common result for people with Native ancestry then. Right now the results say my Native all from Arizona and Mexico, so it's getting closer. (I also found out I am a good bit Turkish and a bit African. The slimmest majority of me is a combination of German and Irish, which is no great shock - you should see how many blondes run around on my birth mom's side.)

Native or Indian American? When I first did an origins type DNA test several years ago, it had my Native bits coming from South America. Right hemisphere, totally wrong continent. Then they updated and now it had half my native ancestry in Arizona and the other half in Siberia. From what I heard at the time, Siberia was fairly common result for people with Native ancestry then. Right now the results say my Native all from Arizona and Mexico, so it's getting closer. (I also found out I am a good bit Turkish and a bit African. The slimmest majority of me is a combination of German and Irish, which is no great shock - you should see how many blondes run around on my birth mom's side.)

Indian decent as in Asian subcontinent.

I went to a college seminar on dna testing and the professor was a bit hesitant to use her own name for the test. She used her dog's name instead. It is a good option for those who are leary about having their DNA in a database. Imagine what could happen if insurance companies got a hold of the data.

Thanks for posting this. My kids (teens to mid-twenties) want to do this, but the possibility of future adverse consequences, such as being denied insurance, is a concern. The dog's name is a brilliant idea if it works - I will definitely keep that possibility in mind.

Nothing could happen, due to the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act of 2008.

This does not make me feel reassured in the least, given corporate America's influence on the legislative process. (Which is not a political statement - I think both political parties are perfectly willing to pass laws to benefit corporate donors.) So the companies can't discriminate now, but what about in ten years?

I've done Autosomal DNA with Ancestry and Family Tree. I've also done the Full Sequence mtDNA and Y-DNA111 but haven't had time to take a deep dive into results yet. While I waited for DNA results at Ancestry I did take a deep dive into filling out my family tree. So far I have over 19,000 relatives ID'd and have corroborated relations to Anne Boleyn, Scottish royalty as well as JFK.

I like the tools better at Ancestry but have found I need to be careful following other people's lines - too many try too hard to be related to famous people:)

The heritage part is what first interested me and I was surprised but I found solving little mysteries totally fascinating! With all the records of the last 100 years scanned and indexed I've spent countless hours searching for information on my great-grandparents whom I never met.

But I must say, it's not just the DNA cost. The monthly fees can add up. Ancestry basic is $19.99/month and if you follow a trail into Europe that will cost another $15. Want newspapers and military records? That's another $10. I'll probably take another 6 months or so to finish up what I can, transfer to my desktop software then take a break for a while to save cost.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter