Ancestory DNA testing

dreamin_disney

DIS Veteran
Hubby wants to do the Ancestry . com DNA testing. Has anyone done it? Its $89 . He wants to see what he is and hopefully find and uncle his grandfather had that no one knows about. I guess he showed up once and announced he was family but wasn't received well and he left. No one got any info or knows anything about him just that he exist.

Is it worth the $$ test? Do you get a lot of info of where your from?

My daughter would also like to know what she is. Hubby says that we both need to do it so DD will know what she is 100% from both sides. Any thoughts?

I think it would be neat to know but at the same time that would cost $178 but not sure what the shipping would cost

Last edited:
I used family tree DNA but they are all about the same. However your husband will probably want to do a more thorough test because he's a male. There's more they can do with the male line than the female line but it costs more.

I did mine around mothers day because they had a sale. They did one around fathers day for the more in depth male version too.

Your husband and daughter can do it because you'll be able to compare hers to his and know what came from your side. My mom and I did ours because I don't have any living male relatives on my dads side so we knee what was his and what what moms.

As far as finding people, it only works if other people you are related to have done the test. There's another site that you can upload your DNA results to regardless of who did them. So I'm on there with my family tree dna but you could use it with ancestry and we could find out we're related. I don't remember the site but I'll look when I get home.

It's actually interesting and helpful if you are doing genealogy. Especially if you don't know where they may have immigrated from to the U.S. or within other parts of the world.

I just did the ancestry dna test, still waiting for processing....there seems to be a long wait time! I also want to find some family members that I do not know who they are. Not sure all the ins and outs yet, but there is a fb group called DNA Detectives that is a great source of knowledge. Im learning a lot just by reading, so hopefully when my test results come through I will know what to do with them. Good luck!

I'm currently waiting on results from mine. I've been less than impressed so far. From the holidays, there is a huge delay in times (look under the support threads in DNA). It says 6-8 weeks, it's more like 12, but don't expect to be updated.

If you aren't tied into ancestry with an account, I'd try a 23 and me or family tree dna. You can upload the results to other sites to find family members.

The site you can upload DNA to is gedmatch.com. it will explain what file you need to download from the site you've used.

I haven't found anyone but people in the genealogy society I'm a part of have found family through gedmatch.

Eta - autocorrect. Ugh.

My daughter did it, and some cousins popped up, and their family tree research helped her work on hers. They had some info she did not have, and vice versa.

We did AncestryDNA for Christmas gifts last year. We all enjoyed the process. In addition to finding out our nationality there ere a few cool things that came out of it.

1. Confirmed that my twin sister is my identical twin rather than fraternal (we thought so as we look a lot alike).
2. Our children show up as both of our kids (her kids show as mine too since we are identical twins).
3. We confirmed that our half brother that our dad denied as his with his first wife, is genetically our half brother and his son.
4. Helped someone find their birth mom due to a 3rd cousin match and traditional genealogy trees - which was an amazing experience. DNA testing wasn't the only thing that I used. I had access to some genealogy data that went back several generations and included siblings.

This was a fun gift and an interesting experience all the way around. It can definitely help locate family members if they also took the test.

It would be interesting, but not interesting enough for a cheap guy like me to part with the money.
It might reveal some new information, but, DD has done a lot of research and on my dad's side, my Grandparents were kind of globetrotters, favoring areas of the world where records either weren't kept, or were destroyed during wars. Throw in that nobody on that side of the family in the past had any interest in family history, and that my dad passed away 50 years ago, and my Grandparents 96 years ago, linking DNA testing to any information would be tough.

It would be interesting, but not interesting enough for a cheap guy like me to part with the money.
It might reveal some new information, but, DD has done a lot of research and on my dad's side, my Grandparents were kind of globetrotters, favoring areas of the world where records either weren't kept, or were destroyed during wars. Throw in that nobody on that side of the family in the past had any interest in family history, and that my dad passed away 50 years ago, and my Grandparents 96 years ago, linking DNA testing to any information would be tough.

Actually, you getting the test would probably be the best method your family has of linking family history together in lieu of available records. It would be more valuable for you to take the test than your DD because you are male and have both X and Y chromosomes, which gives more information.

My mom is very into genealogy and she did DNA testing through 23 and Me, I believe. She also had tests done for my grandfather and brother. It reinforced her previous research. There weren't any huge surprises for us, but my mom has been researching our family history for over 10 years. She is very close to submitting for the Mayflower Society, but is still missing one crucial record showing a connection. I am considering having my husband take this test. Given that he is of Indian decent, I wonder if it would show anything surprising.

I'd been thinking about doing this for DH's birthday coming up. He used Ancestry.com for 2 weeks when they had a free trial and had a lot of fun with it. His family has always said they're part Native American so I'd be interested to see if that's true. Thanks for all the comments, these were helpful for someone looking into this.

I have done both AncestryDNA and Family Tree DNA. I like AncestryDNA more because, first more people seem to use it, and second, it will automatically look through your provided family trees to see where you might match with someone you have a DNA match with.

Really as someone whose actual biological ancestry is somewhat of a mystery due to adoptions, secret affairs, etc. I encourage everyone to do DNA testing, and also submit the results to gedmatch.

But keep in mind. Some people want secrets to remain secret. Even in 2017.

Actually, you getting the test would probably be the best method your family has of linking family history together in lieu of available records. It would be more valuable for you to take the test than your DD because you are male and have both X and Y chromosomes, which gives more information.

My mom is very into genealogy and she did DNA testing through 23 and Me, I believe. She also had tests done for my grandfather and brother. It reinforced her previous research. There weren't any huge surprises for us, but my mom has been researching our family history for over 10 years. She is very close to submitting for the Mayflower Society, but is still missing one crucial record showing a connection. I am considering having my husband take this test. Given that he is of Indian decent, I wonder if it would show anything surprising.

My favorite is when people dispute the DNA results because the family "history" passed down is not supported by DNA results. Sometimes family "history" is actually just "folklore".

I saw a commercial last night for ancestry dna, it's 10% off now because of st patricks day. I think it's good until tomorrow. The other sites may have the same deals, not sure. But they will have sales if you sign up for emails for the site you want to use.

My mother, husband and myself have completed AncestryDNA testing. I got my test first as a gift and I have to say it is by far one of the best gifts I have ever received. When you get your results back, it will show you a percentage of your DNA that came from each of the different regions. I remember, before testing, when I was working on my family tree through Ancestry I was getting frustrated b/c I thought I was doing something wrong. I was trying to find records of a particular family member and there were a couple different people with the same name and the one name that looked like the "right one" had records stating they were Jewish. And I'm thinking....but we're not Jewish. So I thought it was the wrong person and I got fed up and starting researching my mother's side instead and would get back to my father's side later. WELL..... when I get my results back it turns out that I was right all along and I DO have a Jewish ancestor. Not only did I have a percentage of European Jewish in my DNA but I got matched with 'cousins' who share the same DNA and had the same ancestor on their trees. I know not everyone is as amazed by genealogy as I am but I was FLOORED! Long story short... it's amazing and you won't regret spending the $100.

Not sure to what your common is referring.

I think she may be referring to the fact that some people (my mother) claim to be descended from Native Americans [insert other ethnicity/nationality here].....when actually we most definitely were NOT. When my mother and I got our DNA results back there were 0% from the Americas -- we were 100% European. :rolleyes1 LOL

I think she may be referring to the fact that some people (my mother) claim to be descended from Native Americans [insert other ethnicity/nationality here].....when actually we most definitely were NOT. When my mother and I got our DNA results back there were 0% from the Americas -- we were 100% European. :rolleyes1 LOL
Exactly

I guess I didn't understand, since I made no such claims in my post.

I gave some ancestry Dna test gifts as gifts to my husband's parents this past Christmas. I did not want to pay $100 each for them, so I was waiting for a sale before buying. On Black Friday, all test kits were 30% off. I purchased then!

After seeing how great the kits were as gifts, I wanted to give my parents a set and do one myself. Supposedly, my great grandmother was a creek Indian, so I want to see if I have Indian blood :).

Since I had already purchased some, I got an email a couple of weeks ago that they were on sale for 20% off. Just purchased 3 more.

Shipping is $10 for the first kit, $5 for each additional kit. This is from ancestry Dna.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!