Analyzing a purchase...

Your math seems ok, given you acknowledge you're ignoring the time value of $40,000, which is... big. And you're comparing to the cost of renting at $4800. I don't know about you, but I've never paid $4800 for a week in Disney. We have a DxCL stay coming up for less than that. When we stay Poly or Contemporary, we pay around $350, which would be $2450/wk. So I would compare to what you would actually spend after all the deals. And yes you will likely spend more in your lifetime, not less.

As to buying on a recession, keep in mind that when DVC falls in price, stocks fall further, faster. And when DVC recovers, stocks recover faster. IOW, if you had $40,000 to invest during the 2009 crash, you would have been better off buying regular investments even when DVC was cheap.

I'm all for DVC, and if you love Disney it's a great thing to buy. I just wouldn't frame it such that you're spending $40,000 on a timeshare and that's going to save you money. Comparing Studio to Hotel considering all the costs, you might break even. Comparing a 1B to a hotel you'll be behind. But, you'll be enjoying 1B's. Do we struggle with the decision? Of course! It's a big purchase. I think you just have to think about why you're buying it. You love Disney, you want to go more, etc. It's an expense, but an expense on buying fun which is what money is for.

You also haven't factored in a direct purchase to get qualifying member status. I'm a fan of this. I would suggest buying 150 or 160 now. Borrow points to make your first trip work... And then decide if you want to add on in a year. You can add on either another 150-160, or you can add on 75 direct.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter