Anaheim to San Diego on a Saturday

BklynGirl

Earning My Ears
Hi all,
We are planning to stay at the Grand Californian for a week & Friday will be our check-out day. We then made a reservation at the Anaheim Marriott for Friday night & plan on getting on the road around 11 am Saturday morning to go to San Diego for a couple of days. Will we hit traffic on a Saturday? Is there a "best time" to leave to avoid most of it?
Thanks!

At 11 am, yes, you'll hit traffic. Took me 3 hours last weekend to go from San Diego to Irvine (Irvine is south of Anaheim) driving at 10 AM - however, it was probably the worst its been in my 25 years of driving. I'd drive no later than 7 AM, or after 8 PM on a Saturday. Or, plan on traffic, turn the stereo up, and roll with it.

Saturday is the absolute WORST day to drive South to San Diego from Orange County. Plan on a "3 hour tour", if you get lucky.

Personally, I'd leave around 5am just so you can avoid it. It will start before 9am.

I'd leave a little bit later than 5am, but DLGal nailed it.
To make the best of it, you could stop at San Juan Capistrano and tour the mission.
After that you'll be along the coast most of the way, so it's not like it's a boring drive.
For lunch, you have to try an In-n-Out Burger (in Oceanside).
Enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter