An open letter to Disney about mandatory room checks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would hardly call understanding that housekeeping is provided on a daily basis "vacationing on my own terms."

Why wouldn't it be though? If MOST hotels honor do-not-disturb signs, why can't I expect the same from Disney? People have the choice to enjoy or not enjoy housekeeping elsewhere. That in itself is a choice, meaning you're vacationing on your own terms.

Here's the thing. I WANT to give Disney my money. My wife is obsessed and so is my daughter, already. It's just hard to do it (for the hotels) when it means that I'm not the only one in my room, as I prefer it to be. If they didn't have the policy, I'd probably look less hard at staying off-site, which usually wins for us.

There are a very large number of people who EXPECT a CM to enter their resort room on a daily basis - it's called housekeeping. For those of us who do not decline housekeeping we would actually be disappointed to learn that someone did NOT enter our room each day. Since housekeeping is part of my room rate I am actually PAYING a CM to specifically enter my resort room each day - in addition I also TIP the person who enters my resort room each day. So I am not in any way surprised that someone will be in my room each day and I do not feel taken advantage of by WDW because they haven't specified minute details in any terms and conditions I accept.
I'm actually going to say this is different than housekeeping.

1) With housekeeping you can, at nearly every other hotel establishment, decline day by day. I don't need nor want housekeeping everyday of my vacation.

2) At nearly every other hotel establishment when I do not want housekeeping I used a DND sign or a variation of that-the most recent hotel I stayed at their sign was doublesided and said "I want daily housekeeping between the hours of 10am-2pm" the other side said the same thing but replaced daily with "every three days" I can't remember if that was word for word but that is basically what it said. Whenever I place a DND or the variant of that I do not expect a person to come into the room. Could it happen? Sure if there was cause. Would I expect it just cuz? No

3) I do believe people are simply wanting it, if this is actually the policy Disney is using, to be said "we will enter your room daily if XYZ occurs or doesn't occur". The wording Disney uses, is smart for them, but for the customer is vague.

ETA: I also don't understand why you captalized 'tip'. I didn't understand that part.

Let me venture to summarize your post by saying you like to vacation on your own terms, which in your case means you expect housekeeping.

I like to think I'm making a similar argument: I want to vacation on my terms as well, meaning that I'm willing to accept reusing a towel and seeing an unmade bed if that means that I have a reasonable assumption that nobody who is not me is going through my stuff. Luckily, we're not forced to stay on-site to visit WDW, so we stay off-site whenever it makes sense.

Is anyone FORCED to stay on-site?

Is anyone FORCED to stay on-site?

Of course not. But that's not the argument I'm making. I said that phrase to illustrate that rather than complain yet continue to book on-site (which would be silly), we exercise our right to stay off-site, and provide feedback through appropriate channels (I've written them an email after our most recent stay).

I'll reiterate that I'll happily give Disney more of my hard-earned money if it means that my vacation is pleasurable.

There are a very large number of people who EXPECT a CM to enter their resort room on a daily basis - it's called housekeeping. For those of us who do not decline housekeeping we would actually be disappointed to learn that someone did NOT enter our room each day. Since housekeeping is part of my room rate I am actually PAYING a CM to specifically enter my resort room each day - in addition I also TIP the person who enters my resort room each day. So I am not in any way surprised that someone will be in my room each day and I do not feel taken advantage of by WDW because they haven't specified minute details in any terms and conditions I accept.
I think there are a few issues going on. People used to staying on DVC points are accustomed to housekeeping only showing up on a few days of the stay. Others are used to being able to turn away service if housekeeping comes at an inconvenient time. Now there is a policy for a cast member to enter each room every day, regardless of how convenient it is for any possible occupant at that time. For those used to having daily housekeeping, the new policy may not be much of a change. For those of us who are used to having rooms be undisturbed for the majority of a stay, this is a big change.

I would hardly call understanding that housekeeping is provided on a daily basis "vacationing on my own terms."
Provided and utilizing that are two very different things.

I do get what the other poster is getting at.

Vacationing your way means you utilize the provided housekeeping daily and thus with that understand someone has to come into the room...otherwise the room doesn't get cleaned.

Vacationing another person's way may mean they don't utilize the provided housekeeping daily and thus with that they understand that when they don't utilize it they do not expect someone to come into the room as their room will not be cleaned.

Some DVC resorts are selling at $220, just like some parking is $45. Boardwalk can be purchased for about $135 through resale. HH and OKW for even less.

Uber rich are the only people who can afford DVC? I think not.

Which resorts are selling at $220? Wasn't CCV $185? And resale is still much less.

Let me venture to summarize your post by saying you like to vacation on your own terms, which in your case means you expect housekeeping.

I like to think I'm making a similar argument: I want to vacation on my terms as well, meaning that I'm willing to accept reusing a towel and seeing an unmade bed if that means that I have a reasonable assumption that nobody who is not me is going through my stuff. Luckily, we're not forced to stay on-site to visit WDW, so we stay off-site whenever it makes sense.

Where has it ever been stated that Disney will be going through your belongings during these room checks. Every report has been that the CM enters the room, glances around and leaves. Nothing is touched or searched.

I read the first page and the last couple pages, so I don't know everything that has been expressed on this thread. I could guess though.

I wanted to share that recently on our local Nashville news there was a teaser for days..."do you know who is working at WDW?" I never watch the local news, but of course this had my attention. So the story ended up being a guy who had been in trouble here in Nashville, was now working security at the gates at MK. I am sure I don't need to point out the irony here.:sad2:
So Disney doesn't bother to do decent background checks on their own employees, but they think they can thwart a potential attack. Seems to me the real danger is from within the company.:rolleyes1

ETA: link to news story http://www.wsmv.com/story/37425447/...and-plot-now-security-officer-at-disney-world
From this article: "Simmons ultimately received judicial diversion in 2014, which meant if he stayed out of trouble, the charge could be expunged. There is currently no record of him having a criminal background in the court system."

My DVC dues will go up for this.
Why do you think that, and would you please come back and let us know when they do - keeping in mind that dues increase annually?
If MOST hotels honor do-not-disturb signs, why can't I expect the same from Disney?
over
Disney provides no DND signs to honor.

:) I thought of this discussion recently when I checked into my Universal resort. There was a problem with the deadbolt, so I called maintenance. My room phone rang 20 minutes later, as the maintenance guy was outside my door but wasn't allowed to knock on it because i had the DND sign out. I am done with Disney on-site stays.

:) I thought of this discussion recently when I checked into my Universal resort. There was a problem with the deadbolt, so I called maintenance. My room phone rang 20 minutes later, as the maintenance guy was outside my door but wasn't allowed to knock on it because i had the DND sign out. I am done with Disney on-site stays.

Same thing happened to me at the Dolphin in February when I misplaced my TV remote. It was buried in the wonderful linens but I couldn’t find it. Maintenance guy came pronto with replacement but I had the DND sign up. I happened to open the door and there he was. He reported he wasn’t allowed to knock when the sign is up.

I guess I find it interesting that people haven’t considered that any hotel could actually opt to enter your room at any time. Disney is just telling you they will. I have no idea if someone has come into my room when I’m out.

And, even when I’ve had the DND sign up at multiple hotels, I’ve had housekeeping knock to ask if we needed towels or trash emptied, etc.

Same thing happened to me at the Dolphin in February when I misplaced my TV remote. It was buried in the wonderful linens but I couldn’t find it. Maintenance guy came pronto with replacement but I had the DND sign up. I happened to open the door and there he was. He reported he wasn’t allowed to knock when the sign is up.
And that is the difference between a DND sign and a Room Occupied sign. To some it doesn't matter one bit. To others it matters a great deal.

I guess I find it interesting that people haven’t considered that any hotel could actually opt to enter your room at any time. Disney is just telling you they will. I have no idea if someone has come into my room when I’m out.

And, even when I’ve had the DND sign up at multiple hotels, I’ve had housekeeping knock to ask if we needed towels or trash emptied, etc.

Actually Disney does not tell you that they will be entering your room daily.

I find a difference between “at any time” and every single day, or multiple times every day. Just not used to it at either the Swan/Dolphin where I give up housekeeping for SPG points, DVC where I was used to no daily disturbances, and Wyndham Bonnet creek units where there is no housekeeping. I also sometimes travel solo and spend a great deal of time relaxing in the room. I just think everyone has different expectations.

Last edited:
I find a difference between “at any time” and every single day, or multiple times every day. Just not used to it at either the Swan/Dolphin where I give up housekeeping for SPG points, DVC where I was used to no daily disturbances, and Wyndham Bonnet creek units where there is no housekeeping. I also sometimes travel solo and spend a great deal of time relaxing in the room. I just think everyone has different expectations.
Big difference between "could enter" and "will enter".

I get housekeeping every day because I like a cleaned room. So, for me it’s always been “will enter” and I plan accordingly. I lock up my valuables or don’t bring them. I pick up my socks and underwear.

When I’m in the room, I use the bar lock. Because I expect that someone can come in at any time. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!