An open letter to Disney about mandatory room checks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
To me, there is a big difference between reserving the right to enter a room for various reasons, and having a policy to enter the room every day. I do not believe the policy is made explicit in the booking agreement, and it is common for a hotel to reserve the right to enter in case of a problem.

I believe you have expressed that comment I have been looking for. Reading in the fine print that Disney has the right to enter a room is a far cry different from an every day policy of actually coming into your room every day. The fine print basically says you “may” see this being done but in actuality the policy implementation says it “will” be done.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Edit:

For the purposes of verification, can someone who still has their recent terms and conditions check to see if Disney used the words “reserve the right to enter a room” in reference to Disney reserving the right to enter a room?

Checking the DVC terms and conditions I signed, it does not say that. It says “.... have the right to enter and access each Unit and each Vacation Home whenever necessary.....” So, those without DVC agreements might have different wording.

Last edited:
I appreciate your research and this post. The searches bother me in principle, precisely because of what you said about privacy and the fact that someone intent on doing something will get it done. Especially now with the knowledge that there will be people entering the room, what's to stop someone from simply keeping weapons in their car or in a locked suitcase or even in the safe? Why not allow the search/check to happen then go bring in guns and all kinds of nasty things for use later in the day after they've been into your room? It is all liability and security theater.

My solution is to call housekeeping and talk to the front desk upon arrival and give them a timeframe to come by. So far, they have respected those time periods (I'm on my 3rd trip of 2018). I do keep much more in the safe now than I used to, but that's a small inconvenience. I was worried about them when they were first announced, but they've actually been fine and have not interfered with my vacations. I'd be much more irritated if I were being woken up and disturbed.

The fine print basically says you “may” see this being done but in actuality the policy implementation says it “will” be done.

Not sure what you are looking for with trying to make a distinction there. They have certainly covered their bases with that language.

Saying they have the right to enter a room whenever necessary certainly gives them the ability to do so every day but it doesn't have to mean every day.

Not sure what you are looking for with trying to make a distinction there. They have certainly covered their bases with that language.

Saying they have the right to enter a room whenever necessary certainly gives them the ability to do so every day but it doesn't have to mean every day.

Yes they have covered their butts. But some posters here are stating that the daily room check policy is in the terms and conditions and people need to just read and they would know about this policy and that is an untrue statement.

But does that justify our lack of not spreading the word
Just to be clear, "the lack of not" indicates the word is being spread.
Yes it was. Though I hadn’t heard it was $45 now. Geez
It's a choice, not a requirement. While closer overall to the TTC, preferred parking is frequently less convenient because there is no tram service.
Sorry, I'm not convinced your opinion is accurate.
Opinion is opinion. By nature,one's opinion must be accurate because it is, well, that person's opinion.
I think Disney is putting more of a burden on themselves. Let's say someone does bring in a bunch of guns and kills people. Won't all of the lawyers be claiming that Disney should have seen that? After all they are going into everyone's rooms every day specifically to look for that. I would be more worried about missing something then saying "how could we have known".
Primarily, they're going into (for complete accuracy) their own rooms, which are being temporarily rented/occupied by various visitors, to provide housekeeping.
I believe you have expressed that comment I have been looking for. Reading in the fine print that Disney has the right to enter a room is a far cry different from an every day policy of actually coming into your room every day. The fine print basically says you “may” see this being done but in actuality the policy implementation says it “will” be done.
Mostly, again, it's by housekeeping. Including the daily DVC trash pickup.

Yes they have covered their butts. But some posters here are stating that the daily room check policy is in the terms and conditions and people need to just read and they would know about this policy and that is an untrue statement.
I disagree that anyone is claiming that the daily room check policy is in the T&C. It's not. What is covered is the right to enter a room for a bunch of listed reasons, and for any other reason.

I disagree that anyone is claiming that the daily room check policy is in the T&C. It's not. What is covered is the right to enter a room for a bunch of listed reasons, and for any other reason.
You can disagree if you want but it has been claimed in several threads. A quick search and I found instances in this thread alone, for example in:

Post #125 on page 7
"Will you also be sure to let your friends know you were well aware of the checks prior to your stay? Because they are called out in the Terms and Conditions. So any complaint would have to start with how you knew about the room checks, decided to book anyway, and then were mad that they really did them."
https://www.disboards.com/threads/a...tory-room-checks.3676495/page-7#post-59096175

Post #297 page 15:
"Also, it the room checks are clearly stated in the Terms and Conditions of guests's reservation. It is there to see, if a guest would care to read it."
https://www.disboards.com/threads/a...ory-room-checks.3676495/page-15#post-59117352

There are other instances in other threads on this issue.

Last edited:

Ninja Mom

I have felt similar concerns. You should have been in the room when I first learned how many points it would take to stay a night at the Poly Bungalows. My eyes popped out. Combine that with what DVC is getting to purchase into the program (last I heard was $220/vacation point) and you are left concluding DVC is only for the Uber rich. We have two contracts for our membership but nothing we have will allow us to stay at the Poly Bungalows realistically. So, we have written that option off the boards.

I concur totally that money is now the priority. Disney stock in the last few years has traded in a band between about $90 and $120 a share. Five years ago it was at around $65 a share. I guess a doubling of the stock isn’t good enough or the Star Wars/Toy Story building is sucking more money than anticipated. In the past the philosophy was to give people an excellent family oriented entertainment experience and the money would take of itself. Build it and they would come. And boy did they. But I feel those days are over.

My challenge to anyone here who might feel the same way and has concerns about the subject of this thread to contact Disney management and share your concerns. I used to have a phone number for Disney Executive Offices but as has been the case for most contacts they have changed.

The WDW.GUEST.COMMUNICATIONS@DISNEYWORLD.COM email address is current as Ninja Mom provided.

I appreciate knowing that while I screwed up on that dang 4th amendment argument you guys still have my back. I felt it was a risk but I felt it was the right thing to do.

I still think getting the word out is good too. A friend of mine suggested and quite seriously to contact CBS’s 60 Minutes and share the letter minus the 4th amendment argument. While the traditional media has received the massive Disney public relations info about this, I doubt they have heard from “the other side”. As you know I am apt to write a book on the subject. Anyone want to help me create a submission to 60 Minutes?

I read the first page and the last couple pages, so I don't know everything that has been expressed on this thread. I could guess though.

I wanted to share that recently on our local Nashville news there was a teaser for days..."do you know who is working at WDW?" I never watch the local news, but of course this had my attention. So the story ended up being a guy who had been in trouble here in Nashville, was now working security at the gates at MK. I am sure I don't need to point out the irony here.:sad2:
So Disney doesn't bother to do decent background checks on their own employees, but they think they can thwart a potential attack. Seems to me the real danger is from within the company.:rolleyes1

ETA: link to news story http://www.wsmv.com/story/37425447/...and-plot-now-security-officer-at-disney-world

I read the first page and the last couple pages, so I don't know everything that has been expressed on this thread. I could guess though.

I wanted to share that recently on our local Nashville news there was a teaser for days..."do you know who is working at WDW?" I never watch the local news, but of course this had my attention. So the story ended up being a guy who had been in trouble here in Nashville, was now working security at the gates at MK. I am sure I don't need to point out the irony here.:sad2:
So Disney doesn't bother to do decent background checks on their own employees, but they think they can thwart a potential attack. Seems to me the real danger is from within the company.:rolleyes1

ETA: link to news story http://www.wsmv.com/story/37425447/...and-plot-now-security-officer-at-disney-world

Sounds like Disney needs to do "security checks" on themselves! If they are willing to check each and every hotel room each and every day, seems like they should also check each and every employee!

I have just finished my second stay at WDW while this policy has been in place. We stayed at 3 different DVC resorts (AKV, CCV, and BLT) from April 17th-23rd and not once were we inconvenienced by the room checks. We spent a lot of time in our resort room as we were trying new resorts and didn't feel a huge desire to spend too much time at the parks. We slept in every morning until at least 10am, and were back for naps most afternoons from about 2pm-4pm or so. Also, I was in the room both Saturday and Sunday morning by myself without the latch on while my husband was running the races and no one bothered me.

I don't understand why the front desk isn't informing guests of these rooms checks. If I wasn't on this board I would have had no idea it was even happening so I'm guessing a lot of people are really surprised when it happens to them. I feel like mentioning to guests who are checking in would at least keep them from panicking when someone demands entry to their rooms.

I don't understand why the front desk isn't informing guests of these rooms checks. If I wasn't on this board I would have had no idea it was even happening so I'm guessing a lot of people are really surprised when it happens to them. I feel like mentioning to guests who are checking in would at least keep them from panicking when someone demands entry to their rooms.

I can see and issue with maybe a single woman traveler like myself, if she were not aware of the policy and turned down housekeeping and some guy comes to the door wanting to come in to "check" the room. I would think that would be extremely sketchy. I would not open the door for him and I would be calling down to the front desk for security to come. Of course then they would explain it but if I were still in the room, I would not want someone in there while I am. Maybe when you check in they can give you a form that explains what they are doing and you can fill out a preferred time for them to come check the room. Especially where you can decline housekeeping and are not expecting anyone to enter the room.

My main issue is that it serves no purpose whatsoever with respect to ACTUAL security. There mere fact that you can tell them to come back later makes the entire process ridiculous.

My DVC dues will go up for this. It's a waste of time, money and enjoyment of my vacation.

being run through a metal detector several times a day and having my room checked daily sounds more like a prison than a relaxing vacation.

It's 100% security theatre, to make those uneducated about security feel better.

I have felt similar concerns. You should have been in the room when I first learned how many points it would take to stay a night at the Poly Bungalows. My eyes popped out. Combine that with what DVC is getting to purchase into the program (last I heard was $220/vacation point) and you are left concluding DVC is only for the Uber rich. We have two contracts for our membership but nothing we have will allow us to stay at the Poly Bungalows realistically. So, we have written that option off the boards.

Some DVC resorts are selling at $220, just like some parking is $45. Boardwalk can be purchased for about $135 through resale. HH and OKW for even less.

Uber rich are the only people who can afford DVC? I think not.

You can disagree if you want but it has been claimed in several threads. A quick search and I found instances in this thread alone, for example in:

Post #125 on page 7
"Will you also be sure to let your friends know you were well aware of the checks prior to your stay? Because they are called out in the Terms and Conditions. So any complaint would have to start with how you knew about the room checks, decided to book anyway, and then were mad that they really did them."
https://www.disboards.com/threads/a...tory-room-checks.3676495/page-7#post-59096175

Post #297 page 15:
"Also, it the room checks are clearly stated in the Terms and Conditions of guests's reservation. It is there to see, if a guest would care to read it."
https://www.disboards.com/threads/a...ory-room-checks.3676495/page-15#post-59117352

There are other instances in other threads on this issue.

I think you are splitting hairs. Disney has given prior knowledge that they can enter the room at any time. Once a day or once a week there should be no surprise.

I think you are splitting hairs. Disney has given prior knowledge that they can enter the room at any time. Once a day or once a week there should be no surprise.

So just to clarify maxiesmom, there is no difference in your mind between Disney saying in the fine print of the terms and conditions they have the right to enter your room at any time compared to telling you in person, at check-in, that you should expect a daily inspection of your room, for example? Because this is the whole ballgame. Disney is providing no REAL transparency in this policy.

Please clarify because if you someday are caught not knowing something was in a large terms and conditions legal document, wouldn't you feel like you were caught unaware and taken advantage of? Come on, give me a break.

So just to clarify maxiesmom, there is no difference in your mind between Disney saying in the fine print of the terms and conditions they have the right to enter your room at any time compared to telling you in person, at check-in, that you should expect a daily inspection of your room, for example? Because this is the whole ballgame. Disney is providing no REAL transparency in this policy.

Please clarify because if you someday are caught not knowing something was in a large terms and conditions legal document, wouldn't you feel like you were caught unaware and taken advantage of? Come on, give me a break.

There are a very large number of people who EXPECT a CM to enter their resort room on a daily basis - it's called housekeeping. For those of us who do not decline housekeeping we would actually be disappointed to learn that someone did NOT enter our room each day. Since housekeeping is part of my room rate I am actually PAYING a CM to specifically enter my resort room each day - in addition I also TIP the person who enters my resort room each day. So I am not in any way surprised that someone will be in my room each day and I do not feel taken advantage of by WDW because they haven't specified minute details in any terms and conditions I accept.

There are a very large number of people who EXPECT a CM to enter their resort room on a daily basis - it's called housekeeping. For those of us who do not decline housekeeping we would actually be disappointed to learn that someone did NOT enter our room each day. Since housekeeping is part of my room rate I am actually PAYING a CM to specifically enter my resort room each day - in addition I also TIP the person who enters my resort room each day. So I am not in any way surprised that someone will be in my room each day and I do not feel taken advantage of by WDW because they haven't specified minute details in any terms and conditions I accept.

Let me venture to summarize your post by saying you like to vacation on your own terms, which in your case means you expect housekeeping.

I like to think I'm making a similar argument: I want to vacation on my terms as well, meaning that I'm willing to accept reusing a towel and seeing an unmade bed if that means that I have a reasonable assumption that nobody who is not me is going through my stuff. Luckily, we're not forced to stay on-site to visit WDW, so we stay off-site whenever it makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter