An Obsessive Planner's Spontaneous Last Minute Trip to WDW - A June 2019 TR Update 10/20

Travel day is always a little anxiety provoking, I’m glad it was smooth traveling!

We stayed in the same area for our 1 night at Pop in March, I really liked it!

It is surprising how much bigger the TV is here then at AKL!

I thought the lobby was incredibly loud as well, I had a hard time hearing the CM!

Sounds like a pretty uneventful travel day, which is always a good thing.

It's such a double edged sword using a larger vs smaller airport. Big ones have more expensive parking, security lines, etc but I feel like the amenities and food options are always better.

Time sure had flown by. ;)

It's amazing how fast time goes!

Almost every time we go to Ohio the guard asks why I haven't applied for US citizenship as is my right as a child of an American... Tricky question to answer and you don't want to anger the person that has the power to deny you access to the country!

That is such a strange question! You live in Canada, why do you need US citizenship anyway?

We landed at LaGuardia and I knew it was close to the city but I didn't know you could literally see Manhattan from the runway.

Boooo LaGuardia.

We were also happy as we got our room request that I had put in on MDE when I did our online check-in the day before - top floor, 50's, bldg 1. This was our ideal location as it was close to the parking lot, the pool and Classic Hall.

That's great you got the location you wanted! Love all the pictures of Pop, I think it's really such a nice resort. Though definitely a different caliber than Animal Kingdom Lodge, etc.

Sounds like smooth traveling all the way down to Orlando!

Yay for getting a green magic band and your room requests!!!

The refurbished rooms look great. Can't wait to hear about Disney Springs!!!

Sounds like a nice relaxing travel day, and that is always a good thing. In my experience the values and to some extent the moderates tend to have more chaotic lobbies than the deluxes, sorry it made it difficult checking in. And yay to your mom getting a colored magic band!

Joining in!!

How exciting and spontaneous! I love that your Mom was totally on board with going as well! I once asked my Mom the same question for Memorial Day weekend and she shot it down real quick lol

I'm so happy you guys were able to find affordable flights though! There was one time when DH and I were back in college and we had the same amount of time off in January before school started back up. I put together prices and of course by the time DH said yes the price shot up a ton! We ended up doing a SW vacation package (flight and room) which gave us the price we needed. So I totally know that feeling!!

Border patrol agents can definitely be mean!! We just went to Canada and back this weekend and the agent coming back literally asked us ZERO questions. Just held out his hand for our documentation and that was it. It was so weird!!

Can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip!! I know when you had mentioned in your previous TR or PTR about not going back for a while I felt like you wouldn't be able to stay away for that long haha lifes too short and what better way to say YOLO than a trip to WDW!

Yay you made it to Disney!

So weird that they'd ask you at the border why you don't apply for citizenship... like uh this isn't a decision I'm suddenly going to make while traveling lol

We love the new rooms at Pop! It definitely is a louder resort than others though.

I thought the lobby was incredibly loud as well, I had a hard time hearing the CM!

Glad it isn't just me that feels that way.

It's such a double edged sword using a larger vs smaller airport. Big ones have more expensive parking, security lines, etc but I feel like the amenities and food options are always better.

Very true. I am a bit of a princess so I think I prefer the amenities of the bigger airports even though it comes with a slightly higher price tag. Especially as I always end up sitting around for 2+ hours waiting for my flight as I chronically early.

I stayed at Pop in February and really enjoyed it! I think I'll enjoy it even more after the Skyliner opens up. Sounds like your arrival day went well!

Yes, the Skyliner addition will be interesting for sure.

That is such a strange question! You live in Canada, why do you need US citizenship anyway?

I know and yet I get it all the time. It is as though they feel I should reject my Canadian upbringing and run for the States at my first opportunity. If I haven't chosen to do so in the first 30 some odd years of my life why would I do so now?

Joining in! Wow what a whirlwind of planning you did in such a short time!

Yes, I definitely tested my trip planning skills!

I love that your Mom was totally on board with going as well!

I am a bad influence on her. :laughing:

Border patrol agents can definitely be mean!! We just went to Canada and back this weekend and the agent coming back literally asked us ZERO questions. Just held out his hand for our documentation and that was it. It was so weird!!

The border is such a mixed bag of experiences. We have had that happen as well where they ask us nothing and then sometimes we really get grilled as though we are criminals and then most of the time it is just the normal where do you live, where are you going, how long have you been gone, any alcohol etc.

Can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip!! I know when you had mentioned in your previous TR or PTR about not going back for a while I felt like you wouldn't be able to stay away for that long haha lifes too short and what better way to say YOLO than a trip to WDW!

I know, I am an addict. We will see how long I can stay away this time! We do have the Disney cruise next June in the Med so I'm thinking I will have to remain strong and wait until at least 2021 since my 2020 vacation budget is pretty much getting eaten up by that Europe trip.

So weird that they'd ask you at the border why you don't apply for citizenship... like uh this isn't a decision I'm suddenly going to make while traveling lol

I know, it is awkward every time they ask.

We love the new rooms at Pop! It definitely is a louder resort than others though.

I think the noise is partly because of the exterior corridors so the outdoors noise travels and the design of the main building with the food court and gift shop feeding into the lobby with the loud music playing.

411485I am going to tell you a few little landmarks, see the three red/white polls, that is the power buildings that light up NYC. Brooke— the travel agent, sorry cannot remember her Dis name, she has a son Henry lives to the right of the power plant and my son lives on the East River to the left. The bridge just to the left of the power polls is the Queensborough bridge. It is just one of 2 free bridges to cross into Manhattan. Way over to the left, that tall with the sphere building, you actually got the Empire State Building. Sorry for being a smarty pants. When my son calls me on his way home from work, he always looses his connection when he drives by the power plant.

One more question, can you pay cash at the polls. 4 years ago when we were there, we thought the toll booths were being taken down and you needed the sunshine gadget thingy, is there a booth to pay cash? My dh always programs his GPS and we drive around to the back side of the airport and drive in on the road where Sea World meets I4. I think it is the John Glenn Parkway.

View attachment 411485I am going to tell you a few little landmarks, see the three red/white polls, that is the power buildings that light up NYC. Brooke— the travel agent, sorry cannot remember her Dis name, she has a son Henry lives to the right of the power plant and my son lives on the East River to the left. The bridge just to the left of the power polls is the Queensborough bridge. It is just one of 2 free bridges to cross into Manhattan. Way over to the left, that tall with the sphere building, you actually got the Empire State Building. Sorry for being a smarty pants. When my son calls me on his way home from work, he always looses his connection when he drives by the power plant.

Not at all, it is fun to pick out stuff like that.
One more question, can you pay cash at the polls. 4 years ago when we were there, we thought the toll booths were being taken down and you needed the sunshine gadget thingy, is there a booth to pay cash? My dh always programs his GPS and we drive around to the back side of the airport and drive in on the road where Sea World meets I4. I think it is the John Glenn Parkway.

Yep, there were lanes for the pass, exact change and then cash requiring change. We just carry a bag of quarters around with us for the tolls.

Arrival Day Continued - Off to Disney Springs!

After getting everything settled in our room we decided to head to Disney Springs. This would really be our only time to go since our remaining days would be full of park time due to our short visit. We love the parking garages at Disney Springs now, especially the technology that tells you where the open spots are so you aren't driving around in circles like you used to with the surface lot. We parked in the Grapefruit garage since it was near the Marketplace section which is where we planned to start and end our shopping trip. The Grapefruit garage is on the other side of the road from Disney Springs but there is a very nice pedestrian bridge that connects them.

Our first stop was the newly renovated World of Disney. When we were here last June only a section of it was open so it was nice to see the finished product. I really liked it, it did not feel nearly as crowded as it used to. Mom says she preferred the old sectioned off store as she thought it was easier to tell what section you were in/wanted as it was more clearly divided.

Mom had fun trying on some of the fun hats.

I, of course, was scouting out all the new mouse ears that had come out recently. Of course, the new Imagination Pink and Magic Mirror ears got released just a few days after we left. They are available online at shopdisney though so I may just have to order some! I admit it, I have become a bit addicted to ears...

I sent a photo of this guy to my brothers, they couldn't believe that there was Fox and the Hound merchandise.

I ended up buying several shirts to gift my brothers for Christmas. I was also on the lookout for something cute to bring back for my best friend's toddler, Oliver. I just adore him and I always have an eye out for gifts for him. I spoil him now while I can as once he gets older I won't be able to as much as he will come to expect it. I didn't see anything for him yet though. He is only 16 months so most of the toys are too advanced for him at this point.

At the checkout I enjoyed how Tinker Bell flies around and the little sketches on the countertop. Nice touches.

Next up we made our way over to The Polite Pig. I had heard great things about their mac and cheese and I was also hoping that they would have the Gideon Bakehouse cookies in as I had heard that they were amazing.

When I ordered I asked about the cookies and found out that they would be put out in about twenty minutes. I ordered the mac and cheese and mom ordered a drink and then we grabbed a seat.

It took about five minutes for the mac and cheese to get delivered to the table.

It is only meant to be a side dish so it was small but oh my gosh, it was so yummy!!! I wish they had an entree size as I would definitely order this as a main meal.

Mom had a flavoured water from the drink station and it was also very good, it was a berry flavour.

I savoured my mac and cheese and by the time I was done eating that I saw that the cookies had been put out so I went back up to the counter and got one of the much talked about Gideon Bakehouse Chocolate Chip Cookies. It was huge!

[

This cookie definitely lives up to its reputation and was amazing. I only ate about 1/4 of it though as it was very large and rich. I saved the rest for later.

We wandered around after that. I stopped into Sephora to get some makeup remover as I had forgotten to pack some and I also picked up a new facial cleanser.

We made another food stop, Chicken Guy, as they also reportedly had a good mac and cheese. If this had been a longer trip I would have been tempted to do a mac and cheese tour and review all the on-property options. Can you tell I really like mac and cheese?

Mom and I split the Loaded Mac and Cheese. It came with chicken, bacon and green onions.

This dish was also really good but I preferred the Polite Pig mac.

Outside Planet Hollywood I think I embarrassed mom a bit as I got overly excited and started singing along to the music that was playing:

How can you not sing along to Goofy Movie?! My brothers and I love this movie so I had to record a little video of it playing in Disney Springs and sent it to them.

There were several cute items at DisneyStyle but I stayed strong and resisted the temptation.

Mom wanted to visit Chapel Hats to see if she could find a sun hat to wear next year on our Mediterranean Cruise. She did end up finding one that she liked and the price was fairly reasonable.

It was a scorcher so I took advantage of the a/c in the stores and did lots of browsing but I behaved myself and didn't make any more purchases, at least not yet...

I was VERY happy when I saw this at the LEGO Store

Finally we are getting some new displays! I really enjoyed the previous ones but they have seen better days and were just looking shabby and faded and had just become an eyesore.

After we finished browsing the shops we made our final stop at Disney Springs, Basin! I loaded up on bath bombs, and soaps and salts. I love Basin and a trip to Disney is not complete without stocking up.

Loaded down with bath products we made our way back to the car. I nearly flashed the Security guards when the wind picked up while we were crossing the pedestrian bridge and blew my dress skirt up. In my attempt to save my dignity my shopping bag swung out and nearly walloped another guest on the bridge. Whoops!

Next we drove over to the Publix in Celebration to stock up on some breakfast items. I just love Celebration, it is so charming and quaint. We like this location as it is close to WDW property and we find that the prices are decent and they have a good selection.

I know this may sound silly but I really love grocery shopping in the South. The service is so different from up north - dedicated baggers at each checkout lane and they will even take your groceries to your car for you. It was like this when we lived in Virginia as well but I have noticed this is not the case when we visit grocery stores in Ohio and New York and is definitely not the case in Canada. So I figure it must be a Southern US things and now I just view it as a nice vacation treat.

Back at the hotel we stowed the groceries and then I went for a short dip in the pool.

This was the only time I got to enjoy the pool on this trip. On such a short trip we just did not prioritize taking the leisurely afternoon break approach that we had last year.

It was early to bed that night and we watched a bit of The Lion King on the Disney Channel that night before falling asleep. It would be a very early morning the next day after all.

Sounds like a fun way to start your short trip! :thumbsup2

I love World of Disney and like your mum always love trying on hats and mouse ears.

Hope you find something for Oliver later on in your trip and whoop whoop on getting your hands on that Gideon Bakehouse Chocolate Chip Cookie!! :woohoo:

Lol at the flashing/swinging someone with your bag scenario :rotfl:

Mom says she preferred the old sectioned off store as she thought it was easier to tell what section you were in/wanted as it was more clearly divided.

I agree with Mom! It does have some cute touches, but it did seem harder to find what I was looking for.

It is only meant to be a side dish so it was small but oh my gosh, it was so yummy!!! I wish they had an entree size as I would definitely order this as a main meal.

Looks amazing!!!!

This cookie definitely lives up to its reputation and was amazing. I only ate about 1/4 of it though as it was very large and rich. I saved the rest for later.

This is probably the best cookie ever. You got lucky on the timing, I hear they sell out quickly now.

We wandered around after that. I stopped into Sephora to get some makeup remover as I had forgotten to pack some and I also picked up a new facial cleanser.

There's always something to pick up there! Honestly makes me feel a lot less stressed about forgetting something.

How can you not sing along to Goofy Movie?!

There's no way to not sing along!

After we finished browsing the shops we made our final stop at Disney Springs, Basin!

Your favorite!

I nearly flashed the Security guards when the wind picked up while we were crossing the pedestrian bridge and blew my dress skirt up. In my attempt to save my dignity my shopping bag swung out and nearly walloped another guest on the bridge. Whoops!

Eh who needs dignity? :rotfl:

It was early to bed that night and we watched a bit of The Lion King on the Disney Channel that night before falling asleep.

Ohhh excellent bedtime movie, I approve!

We made another food stop, Chicken Guy, as they also reportedly had a good mac and cheese. If this had been a longer trip I would have been tempted to do a mac and cheese tour and review all the on-property options. Can you tell I really like mac and cheese?

This post was the review I needed! Hahaha. I also love mac and cheese so I've noted The Polite Pig as somewhere to try in the future 😏

Lol at the flashing/swinging someone with your bag scenario :rotfl:

i felt so bad for nearly taking that girl out with my bath bombs.

This is probably the best cookie ever. You got lucky on the timing, I hear they sell out quickly now.

I was super lucky. It wasn't even a planned thing, I just remembered that they sometimes have the cookies and so I asked about them and the timing was perfect.

There's no way to not sing along!

Glad you agree with me! Also, every time I get in the car for a road trip I start singing the Open Road song from the beginning of the movie. :laughing:

This post was the review I needed! Hahaha. I also love mac and cheese so I've noted The Polite Pig as somewhere to try in the future 😏

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did! There is also a mac and cheese food truck that I spotted over near Disney Style. I was too full to check it out by the time I saw it though. :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter