An Illuminations Farewell

cmoreilly94

Earning My Ears
In less than a week we will be in Disney to see the final showings of Illuminations. It's going to be a very bitter sweet moment. I worked in Epcot during the Food and Wine Festival in 2016 so Illuminations holds a special place in my heart.

We've had this trip planned since Disney announced that the show would be closing. What was not planned was the ankle surgery that I had yesterday. Yes you read that right, Yesterday. Currently I am non-weight bearing on crutches; I go back on Wednesday to get recked where I am hopeful to become partial weight bearing before the trip. I was supposed to be partial weight bearing straight out of surgery so this all threw a kink into the plans; my doctor thinks that I will be partial weight bearing next week, it all depends on how the stitches heal. When planning this trip we planned thinking I would be at least partial weight bearing; I have spent a lot of time on crutches so that does not bother me. The main plan was that I would use a wheelchair in long distances and lines but for shopping and dinning and such I would be able to dump the wheelchair and use the crutches.

I rented a wheelchair from Cloud of Goods. This was a VERY hard choice for me, I went back and forth over who I wanted to use for a very long time. I ended up with COG because they have ultra lightweight wheelchairs. With my ankle issues I have used wheelchairs in Disney before and always found trouble moving the bigger ones. I do not feel comfortable on an ECV and it is something that gives me great anxiety. I also bought a set of crutch holders for the wheelchair off of amazon, along with a cup holder (gotta have my morning coffee).

This all being said, lets go over some more fun details of the trip!

I'll be going along with my aunt, mom, dad and sister.

Dates: September 26 - October 02

Hotels: Art of Animation and Old Key West

Thursday

Bright and early my aunt and I will be leaving PA for Florida. We leave at 5:15 am and will get into Orlando at 10:00 AM. My mom and dad will already be in Florida for a work thing and will meet us at Disney later in the day. We rented a town car to get us to the hotel, we decided to do this because of my crutches and such, getting on and off the bus won't be easy.

We are staying one night at Art of Animation.

Dinner: Rose N Crown
Fast Passes: Living with the Land, Spaceship Earth, Frozen Ever After.

This will be the first night that we will be seeing Illuminations.

Friday

My sister arrives today! She will be in around lunch time. She's currently in College so couldn't take as much time as others.

Today's plan in Hollywood Studios.

Dinner: Hollywood Brown Derby
Fastpasses: Fantasmic, Rockin Roller Coaster and Star Tours.

Saturday

Park: Magic Kingdom
Fastpasses: Pirates of the Caribbean, Buzz Lightyear and Haunted Mansion
Dinner: Raglan Road

Sunday:

Park: Animal Kingdom
Fastpasses: Everest, Dinosaur and Kilimanjaro Safari
Dinner: Sanaa

Monday:

Park: Epcot
Fastpasses: Soarin, Living with the Land, Seas with Nemo and Friends
Dinner: Food and Wine Festival

Tuesday:

Mom, Dad and Sister leave today.

Park: Magic Kingdom and Epcot
Fastpasses: Space Mountain, Jungle Cruise, It's a Small World
Lunch: Liberty Tree Tavern

After my parents and sister leave we are going to head to Epcot to take in the new show.

Wednesday:

Park: Haven't Decieded.
Fastpasses: None
Lunch: Airport

Overall this is going to be a slightly different trip; especially for me being non weight bearing. I have already made a bunch of different times for going back to the hotel for pool and nap times. This is not something that we typically do, we usually are all day park people.

Can't wait to tell y'all more about how the trip actually goes!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!