An even stronger respect for those with disabilities...

RickinNYC

DIS Veteran
I thought of all of you folks on this particular DISAbilities thread during our last trip to WDW. One of my biggest fears while going on vacation was getting a bad gout attack during my trip. Well, as luck would have it, I got a doozy that lasted a couple of days on our most recent visit. Although I was still able to walk, I was moving veeeeery slowly and limping quite a bit, not to mention having to take breaks to sit for a while. The pain was pretty horrible from time to time. Joe kept demanding we go and get a wheelchair but I refused. My refusual had nothing to do with embarrassment but everything to do with my opinion of them. Wheelchairs are for individuals who truly have a phsyical need, i.e. a handicap of some sort. I never even considered that, "ummm, idiot? YOU now have a physical need for SURE." Stubborn fool that I am.

I was still able to enjoy the two days that I was hobbled, but I learned something very significant. I have a higher level of respect for folks who have to live with physical problems every day fo their lives, plus those family members who help them (sorry for hobbling, limping, sucking in my breath in pain and basically living in denial for two days Joe! but thanks for helping me along the way)

Edited to add that I was pretty surprised at how just how insensitive some folks are. Although they were very few and far between, clearly in the minority, but when it's obvious the guy ahead of you can't walk too well or fast, pushing him out of the way is not a viable option. Truly amazing some people. Thank God not too many folks like that are around.

So to those of you that venture forth and face the world with chin up and a big smile while in the face of adversity, I salute you!

Although they were very few and far between, clearly in the minority, but when it's obvious the guy ahead of you can't walk too well or fast, pushing him out of the way is not a viable option. Truly amazing some people. Thank God not too many folks like that are around.

Isn't it amazing Rick? DS was trying to board the bus at WL a few years ago. Sometimes he can walk, sometimes not, and when he is having a good day walking wise I have him board this way b/c it is easier on him. He was going slowly on the stairs but only so he wouldn't fall. From the back of the line I hear "Push him!" :sad2: . The voice is not that of a child either. :confused3 So now I'm holding DS and trying to talk my brother out of finding the culprit of the comment so he can "have a word with them"(I really don't think any talking was going to be involved. :rolleyes: ;) ) But I can honestly tell you for every jerk we've met at WDW, we've met 1000 CM's, characters and guests willing to help in any way possible. :goodvibes Thanks for your kind words and I hope you are feeling much better now. And listen to Joe, he just wants you to be happy right? :grouphug:

Rick, you should listen to Joe, he loves you afterall! Yes, I agree with you, most people are very considerate, but sometimes you have to wonder where these occasional people come from? I have to tell you, every time I see one of your posts it always strikes me what a happy, upset, positive, and caring individual you are, you deserve much happiness in all that you do! Take care, Stacey2grls

Densgirl, that is really awful! I'm pretty surprised someone else didn't say something to the creep. First, he/she was talking about a child, second, RELAX! Obvious disability or not, geez.

Something very, very similar happened on the first day of my attack when we were walking (Joe was walking, I was dragging my leg/limping/wincing/muttering) up the ramp to Spaceship Earth. The pain was much more pronounced since we were walking up a slope, so I was moving kinda slow. There was NO ONE in front of me and only Joe behind me. A family came up behind Joe and immediately, before I had the chance to offer to move aside, trundled up and said, "C'MON already. Move faster!" Normally, I'd have done so gladly, but they were so rude (and admittedly, after a day of hobbling, I was kinda cranky) so I kept walking with nary a glance and wouldn't budge. Joe was the one that whipped around and said, "HE'S IN PAIN! DO YOU MIND? He HAS to walk slow!"

The Mom in their group apologized when I got to the top of the ramp so I felt a lot less embarrassed.

Nevertheless, this and just my entire experience that day and the day after really was an eye opener. I've had many, many attacks over the past five years, but always when I was at home (once on a business trip but it was manageable). I have easy access to my crutches during those times.

And Stacey, you are entirely correct. I should have listened to Joe. When he realized I wasn't going to budge on getting a wheelchair, he just kept sighing and rolling his eyes and giving me the "I told you so" look.

After having surgery on my leg, I was transported out of the hospital in a wheelchair, and all of a sudden I became invisible! Learned an important lesson that day...

After the surgery, I had a hard time walking up inclines (which stinks since we live on a hill. Our whole yard is a hill!) I didn't have the foresight to get a temporary HP placard. One day, I had to pick my daughter up at school for an appointment. All the visitor spots were full, and I didn't dare park inthe HP spots, because I didn't have a placard. Stupidly, I parked in the fire lane. Yes, I got a ticket - a whopping $200! The police officer tore it up after I explained my situation, but I did learn two more important lessons - more empathy for those with disabilities, and the importance of the HP parking spots. I've never begrudged anyone those spots in the first place, but I feel like I have a better understanding of the need.

Nothing like a little walk (or hobble, in my case) in someone else's shoes!

Speaking of bad places to be moving slow - the worst is the ramp out of SM pushing a wheelchair. For parts of the ramp you HAVE to lock the wheels, so you are only going the speed of the walkway. Those behind do seem to get irritated and push by. But there really isn't enough space (except for the skinniest people!) Most calm down when they see the hold up is a wheel chair, but there are a few....

OK - I'll stop ranting now and think instead about how much I love taking my son on SM (OK - I hate getting him to it, but the joy on his face to be riding is priceless!)

LisaB

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter