An estimate of travel time between S.F. and DL!

AspiringCindy

<font color=FF66FF>Craved Spam.....the unidentifie
We would leave Fisherman's Wharf (SF) at 11:00AM and travel on Interstate 5 the whole way to Anaheim. How long should it take us?

...2 minutes, 38 seconds......but that's ME driving..... :rolleyes1

It depends a bit upon whether you plan to take 580 to get to the 5 or take 101 down to the Pachecho Pass. In general I find going down to take the Pachecho Pass faster than crossing the bridge and traveling through the valley in the East Bay. Additionally, if there is traffic on the 101 you could take the 280 which has less traffic until you reach San Jose then merge onto 101 until Pachecho Pass. If you do take the Pacheco Pass route, it will take about 6 1/2 hours. If you stop for lunch or a rest about 7 hours. If you're going on a weekday you will likely hit traffic in LA. If you could leave a bit earlier you could save yourself that. Traffic can add up to another 2 hours onto your trip.

6 1/2 is about right - we did about 5 1/2 from San Jose last week. But be warned traffic can make a difference. The traffic going down to SJ is ok until about 4 so ok that way - but if leaving at 11 I think you will hit traffic in LA, which will definitely add time & headaches. Also some times Pacheco Pass can back up if any accidents as a small section is only 2 lanes not freeway. Also be aware I5 is in the middle of the central vally - no cities - so don't run the gas tank empty (or stomach) till you get in LA area. They do have some gas station/ff "spots" but is limited. Eat lunch before you get off 101 if taking this way. Was just on this last Saturday again and it always surprises me compared to what I am used to in MidWest and out East. But you get to see all types of farms growing things so nice drive.

If you are traveling down the 101, allow yourself about 7-8 hours. If you take the I-5 south, allow about 7 hours or so. Be aware, that the speed limit on these freeways is 65 mph and the California Highway Patrol enforces the speed limits when you enter major cities along your route.

Just FYI, we ended up deciding to fly from LAX to SFO. Cost was $118 for DH and me one-way. Not sure what your plans are, but we figured that price was well worth the gas and time savings! :)

kennancat said:
Just FYI, we ended up deciding to fly from LAX to SFO. Cost was $118 for DH and me one-way. Not sure what your plans are, but we figured that price was well worth the gas and time savings! :)

What airline???

kimmar067 said:
...HOLD IT RIGHT THERE, young lady!!!! Does Brian know how much you are spending??!?!?!? :rolleyes1

Actually yes!!!...It is the car rental that is killing us! We have a $166 one way fee added onto our rental!

AspiringCindy said:
What airline???
We went with Frontier. I went to Travelocity first and found that they were one of the cheapest. I then went to their website and the price was even cheaper there :) A lot of the airlines had fares for $69 or $74 pper, one-way. Good luck!

kennancat said:
We went with Frontier. I went to Travelocity first and found that they were one of the cheapest. I then went to their website and the price was even cheaper there :) A lot of the airlines had fares for $69 or $74 pper, one-way. Good luck!

...not bad! :scratchin:

AspiringCindy said:
Actually yes!!!...It is the car rental that is killing us! We have a $166 one way fee added onto our rental!

...We-l-l-l-l-l, okay, then....with kennancat's prices, that's fare for 2 people.... :rolleyes:

kimmar067 said:
...I thought you drive along the PCH.....
Actually PCH is Hwy 1 that is a 3rd alternative - beautiful but slow! :) Or you could take 101 most of the way - which is El Camino Real (Kings Highway) which is the old mission highway - so historical. 101 does run with Hwy 1 as you get farther south (I think Pismo Beach area) What we are talking here is taking 101 from SF crossing over on 152 (156?) to I5 in Gilroy and then taking I5 - where you see the farms. But based on that flight cost I may fly also! Though the rental car drop off price is a pain!

We drive from about one hour south of SF. It takes us 5 - 5 1/2 hours to get to DLR. We take 101 to Pacheco Pass to Hwy 5. 101 is slower, and Hwy 1 is really really slower, but beautiful. We dont have to rent a car, but it is about the same time to fly when you count how much time it takes door-to-door. And we dont have the hassle of dealing with the airline people and baggage claim. :thumbsup2

The earlier you leave, the less time it takes. We generally have no problem until we get outside LA and then hit the WALL of traffic! :sad2:

I think it also depends on whether or not you want a car once you are in LA. We usually give ours to the valet at GC when we check in and dont touch it until we check out a few days later! If you want to see other things in LA, then you may still have to pay for a car for that day, or at least pay for transportation from the airport (no ME in LA). Just my 2 cents, hope it helps! Have a great trip -- DL is really really fun!

UPDATE: It took us 7 hours with a 15 minute lunch stop and LA traffic...GGGRRR!!!! :furious:

AspiringCindy said:
UPDATE: It took us 7 hours with a 15 minute lunch stop and LA traffic...GGGRRR!!!! :furious:

...oh, quit yer complainin'..... :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter