• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

An earthquake in Quebec?

jeanigor

DIS Veteran
I thought it was a weird coincidence when there were multiple status updates about feeling tremors...

US Geologic Survey
285_45.gif

The red square is an earthquake within the last hour.

I'm in Syracuse, NY and we felt it here! It happened at 1:41 this afternoon and of course I was on the toilet going pee when it happened! LOL (too much info? sorry!)...

my first earthquake ever in my life and it's in NY! I didn't know that could happen up here! I'm a bit shaken up (no pun intended) and hopefully that's the last of it!

Felt it in downtown Cleveland. It kind of felt like when you are stopped on an overpass and a large truck goes over. It was strong enough that you know you weren't imagining it but nothing all that bad.

We had one the day after the Challenger sheered apart but that was the last one I remember in the Cleveland area.

We felt it here in Rochester, NY. I heard some people were evacuated from their office buildings. I felt it and was watching the lampshade move and thought, "Either that's a really big truck going by or (my son) is really into the WII." LOL! Earthquake never entered my mind!

KIM
POP Century 08/25-09/03

At the salon, getting my hair done. There's a major construction site just across the street from the salon--hairdresser and I both thought the shaking was due to blasting at the construction site. Called DH at home, and apparently our two cats did that animal disaster prediction thing, about 2 min. before the tremors. Poor cats--they both fled to the basement where they hid out for an hour!

We felt it at The State Campus offices in Albany, N.Y. It made me feel slightly dizzy at first - then I realized that it wasn't ME.

It was pretty strong here in Ottawa. The epicenter was about 50 miles from us. The shaking lasted a good minute I would say. I was in a warehouse and watching the racks full of furniture sway was a bit concerning, but there was no damage to speak of.

I am in Hamilton and we felt it here.. I felt my computer desk shaking and thought my dog was scratching himself and bumping into it. My Sister phoned me right away to ask if I felt it I Said what I thought it was and she said YOUR DOG... LOL.. I have a pom.. I guess it would not rattle my computer desk eh? ha ha ha ha
Anyway I am glad no one was hurt and everything is ok, I remember one when I was a kid (8 or 9) but they really don't happen that often here.

I'm in Syracuse, NY and we felt it here! It happened at 1:41 this afternoon and of course I was on the toilet going pee when it happened! LOL (too much info? sorry!)...

my first earthquake ever in my life and it's in NY! I didn't know that could happen up here! I'm a bit shaken up (no pun intended) and hopefully that's the last of it!

I was very suprised when we had one, it was in the middle of the night - all the things in the bedroom rattling woke me up and I had no idea what was going on :scared1: The first thing I thought was that someone was shaking the bed :laughing: I was so relieved when other people at work had said they felt it too.

Glad no one was hurt, was there much damage done - not sure how strong 5.5 is :confused3

I know we have had small tremors here before, but this was the first one I have ever felt.
I was talking to Karen (Klam Chowder) at the time, while sitting at my desk working.
Suddenly both computer monitors started swaying (shaking) and it felt like the floor below me was moving.
I immediately looked out the window to see how big of a truck was going by to cause it, but nothing there.
Looked back at the moving monitors and said "Holy Carp! We're having an earthquake Karen!" (I may have used slightly different words :eek:)
She said she did not feel it, even with being in Buffalo.
I would say it lasted here, noticeably, around 10-15 seconds.
It was quite an experience, and near the end, a bit nauseating, really.
A friend of mine on FaceBook pinned it as feeling like vertigo.

We felt it in downtown Dayton too. The news is saying that the earthquake shook enough to cause an explosion underground. I work on 4th floor, and we were shaking pretty good for about 30 seconds. I don't know if we were feeling more the the earthquake or more of the explosion, though. It made for an interesting afternoon!

I'm between Hamilton and Toronto - definitely felt it here! I'm sure our California friends are laughing at us :rotfl: but in my 26 years this is the only quake I've felt living in this neck of the woods.

they felt it in the brooklyn ny va the staff on the 16 floor treid to Evacuate all the patients but the Federal police stoped them and let them know they there was no earth quake that they was feeling what was happening in canda and made all the staff that ran out in a panic go back to work

It was felt in areas around Boston.

I didn't notice it myself...our building is on the edge of a swamp. If it had been bad enough we probably would have sunk :)

Felt it in downtown Cleveland. It kind of felt like when you are stopped on an overpass and a large truck goes over. It was strong enough that you know you weren't imagining it but nothing all that bad.

We had one the day after the Challenger sheered apart but that was the last one I remember in the Cleveland area.

My whole house shook a little, I thought a tree fell on it or something, but it was prolonged shaking, not just a big bolt. So weird. I had no idea it was an earthquake, I went outside and looked for a tree or something that hit the house.

I remember the earthquake here after the Challenger. That seemed bigger. I remember a couple picture frames fell off my bookshelf.

my mom has a friend who lives in central new york so she called her today to ask if she felt the earthquake. The woman said "is that what it was?!? I thought I was having a seizure so I took some aspirin and laid down to take a nap!"

LOL! apparently she was sitting in a chair with wheels and the chair moved and she of course didn't think of an earthquake so she thought it was something wrong with her! lol! :dance3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter