An Aussie on a Wine & Dine 2019 Mission - Comments Very Welcome

WEEKLY UPDATE
29 APR - 4 MAY

After a rocky April dealing with a persistent flu I've started May off with a bang. There's so many races going on this month :)

The big news this week was obviously that the Wine & Dine series race themes were released and I have to admit to being a tad disappointed. Call me crazy but I was kind of expecting food and wine themed race themes but it looks like they'll be EPCOT world showcase related themes with Jungle Book for the 5km, Frozen for the 10km, Patriotic Mickey for the Half Marathon and the 3 Caballeros for the challenge. The Patriotic Mickey is great but the other themes don't thrill me. I'm really not a fan of anything Frozen so I'm definitely disappointed to see it in the mix. Am I the only one who feels like that movie was completely over hyped?? I mean it was good but people lost their damn minds over it and I just don't get it. The other 2 themes are fun but not what I was expecting. Still it'll be a blast and I know we'll have a great time regardless of theme. I mean com on, it's Disney!!
:dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer:

Dining reservations opened this week for our trip, so I was ready and waiting to make all our reservations. Looking at the crowd calendars it's going to be a busy busy weekend and the following week is Jersey Week so we knew we had to be vigilant about reserving what we wanted or we'd miss out. I'm happy to say we got everything we wanted.
I'm especially looking forward to eating at Liberty Tree Tavern after the Half Marathon on Sunday. I couldn't miss an opportunity to get photos with all our hard earned race bling at Magic Kingdom and eat Thanksgiving food!

Our May The 4th Be With You race this weekend was SO MUCH FUN!!!
My hubby doesn't normally run but I purchased race entries for us both for his (my) Christmas present this year. He's the really big Star Wars fan in our household so I knew this would be a great race to drag him to. There were over 3,000 people running and even though the weather was damn cold and it had been raining for most of the day we had an amazing time.

Untitled by Jennie G, on Flickr

I actually felt like the time we ran was pretty good considering how many people were on the course and how many stops we made along the way for photos. Normally my husband leaves me for dead on these races but I was very excited to have to actually wait for him not once but twice during the course of the race because he just couldn't keep up with me!!

So next Sunday is the Mothers Day 8km Classic run. It's another early start but I'm looking forward to it.

30 Apr = 6.37Km Run in 46:01

3 May = 4.93km Walk in 59:28
3 May = 6.6km Run in 46:38
4 May = 5.10Km in 43:11

WEEKLY TOTAL = 23Km (14.292 Miles)
APRIL MONTHLY TOTAL = 33.4Km (20.754 Miles)

MAY MONTHLY TOTAL = 16.63Km (10.333 Miles)
ANNUAL TOTAL = 305.659Km (189.928 Miles)

WEEKLY UPDATE
5 MAY - 12 MAY

The big news this week is that our dining reservations opened up for our Wine & Dine trip. So just like all the other race competitors we were online making our reservations as soon as they opened. I really wrestled with what to book and what times to book, especially over the race weekend. We chose to leave out any breakfast bookings on race days and instead went with early lunch bookings at 11am. I've not done onsite Disney races before but I figured that for the 5km and 10km we'd start around 6am and be finished by 6-6:30am, jump on Disney transport back to POP, shower and be getting back on a bus to a park by around 9 or 9:30am. Are my timings completely wrong? I've allowed more time for the Half Marathon on Sunday. It looks like I'll be in corral E if last year's corral assignments are anything to go by. If I start the Half Marathon around 6am I anticipate finishing around 9am, back to the resort by 10am, shower and on a bus to Magic Kingdom by 11am. We can't wait to get photos in Magic Kingdom with our swag of medals. Adam will have the 5km and 10km medals and I'll have the full set of 4. We've booked a 1pm lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern which we've not been to before but the all you can to enjoy Thanksgiving style meal really appealed to us. It'll then be back to the resort to rest up before returning to EPCOT for the after party around 7pm. I think I've been pretty realistic with my timings but if anyone has some suggestions on how to improve or how we should plan out our 5km and 10km days I'd love to hear them!!

My big lesson learnt this week is that there is such a thing as over doing it! My body hasn't been feeling great and training runs have felt like a real struggle. I've had aches and pains popping up all over the place so I scaled it back a little bit this week on the training and saved my legs before the Mothers Day Classic 8km today. I've been making steady progress with my average minutes per km and until this morning was hovering around 7:00 - 7:12 per km.

The race this morning was fantastic! It was a 5:30am start to drive into the city and the weather the past week has been VERY cold and raining but I'm happy to report that the rain cleared up overnight. The cold stayed with us though and pre-dawn it was down to a very chilly 8 degrees. This is the 20th year for this race and there were so many touching tributes to women who had lost their battles or were fighting battles with breast cancer. I ran in honour of my mother-in-law, Wendy, who lost her own battle after many years of fighting. To run a new PB this morning was very special to me. I finally broke through the 7min per KM barrier and achieved a sub 7min per KM pace of 6:52. I ran the fastest 5KM I've run in 12 months and I set a new PB!

I also registered for the full Disney Running Shorts Series Challenge this week so that'll keep me motivated over the next 3 months while we're in the dead of winter. There's not a whole lot of races to participate in over the coming 3 months so I'll have to find a way to keep my mojo going. Any ideas???

I also have to admit that I'm nowhere near where I needed to be at this point for the Half Marathon next weekend :( 3 weeks out with the flu in April really knocked all my training out so I'll be going in with the attitude that it's a race I'm not going to PB in and to just enjoy the stunning scenery. Be prepared for race spam people. The Great Ocean Road is a national icon for a reason and has some of the most stunning scenery in Australia :)

6 May = 6.53km Walk in 45:42
9 May = 5.25km Run in 37:19
12 May = 8.20Km in 56:17

WEEKLY TOTAL = 19.98Km (12.415 Miles)
MAY MONTHLY TOTAL = 36.61Km (22.748 Miles)
ANNUAL TOTAL = 325.639Km (202.343 Miles)

Hi, I’m loving your training journal. It’s great to see an Aussie journal. I also saw Harry Potter and the Cursed Child earlier in the year in Melbourne - AMAZING!

Also, I love the idea of the Great Ocean Road race but I think 10k is my limit since I rarely train properly. Hopefully you’ll post some pics as the scenery is amazing along there - I’ve only been once. I saw the Star Wars race advertised but I don’t live in Melbourne - looked awesome though.

Good luck for Wine & Dine. I did the 10k last year and didn’t submit a time but got a pretty good corral. I don’t know if they’d ever give me that again though as I stopped for plenty of photos and the loo once so my speed looked very slow. I spent most of the time weaving around slower people that had started in the slower corrals (due to my breaks) so just be prepared for the crowds at Disney races.

Hi, I’m loving your training journal. It’s great to see an Aussie journal. I also saw Harry Potter and the Cursed Child earlier in the year in Melbourne - AMAZING!

Also, I love the idea of the Great Ocean Road race but I think 10k is my limit since I rarely train properly. Hopefully you’ll post some pics as the scenery is amazing along there - I’ve only been once. I saw the Star Wars race advertised but I don’t live in Melbourne - looked awesome though.

Good luck for Wine & Dine. I did the 10k last year and didn’t submit a time but got a pretty good corral. I don’t know if they’d ever give me that again though as I stopped for plenty of photos and the loo once so my speed looked very slow. I spent most of the time weaving around slower people that had started in the slower corrals (due to my breaks) so just be prepared for the crowds at Disney races.

YAY!! I love that there's another Aussie here too!!

I really hope the weather improves for next Sunday. I've never driven the Great Ocean Road before so hubby and I are planning to leave Melbourne early and drive as much of it as we can Saturday before checking into our overnight accomodation before Sunday's race. My preparation for the half hasn't been ideal and I'm genuinely concerned about how I'll go but this year they've added a half marathon walking group that's starting after my wave, so at the very worst I can drop back and won't look completely out of place with the walkers. Of course I'll run as much of it as I can though before I resign myself to walking. It's not a race I'll be using for proof of time or aiming for a PB. I've already got a proof of time I'm pretty happy with from March which should get me into corral E.

I ran the City2Surf last year in Sydney and it was INSANELY crowded. People were actually being injured by other runners who were just being stupid and cutting to close to people as they were passing. It was a shambles. It couldn't possibly be any worse than that. I'm approaching the Disney races as fun races - especially the 5km and 10km. I want to savour the experience and soak up what it is to run a Disney race :)

WEEKLY UPDATE
12 MAY - 19 MAY

Have you ever run a race that you completely under estimated? I hadn't until today (Sunday 19 May).

Today was the big one, the Great Ocean Road Half Marathon. I've been working towards this race for 5 months and it was on my bucket list to complete but I completely underestimated how brutal the course was. It wasn't the distance that was challenging it was the hills OH SO MANY HILLS. Actually they weren't so much hills but mountains.

My husband and I have always wanted to drive the Great Ocean Road. It's one of the most iconic Australian roads/drives we have. It's a huge hotspot for tourists and after this weekend I can totally see why. The scenery is stunning!

Due to the 8am start, we chose to drive the 5 hours to Apollo Bay on Saturday and stay overnight in Separation Creek. We spent much of the Saturday stopping in and exploring the coastline. There may even be a spot of two that you'll recognise here?

Does this place look familiar? It's Bells Beach made famous in the movie Point Break. You know the movie about the bank robbing surfers who wore American President masks?

It was a great day but an early night so I could be ready for the run in the morning.

At this time of the year it's actually bitterly cold in the early morning's and this morning was no different. Seeing about 3,500 runners of all shapes and sizes shiver through a pre dawn race start is pretty amazing. We were rewarded though with one of the most spectacular sunrises any of us has seen in a long time.

This race was actually a little longer than a standard half marathon distance. The actual distance start to finish was 23km. Below is the course map and elevation.

The scenery along the way was spectacular but the climbs were frequent and brutal.

The last 4km of this race were by far the most brutal. The road into the finish line at Apollo Bay just never seemed to get any closer. I'm not too proud to admit that after 19km's and so many hill climbs I was completely spent. I cried like a small child when I saw the Apollo Bay sign and proceeded to tear up right until the finish line. This race was so so much harder than I had anticipated and I honestly think that this race will be a one and done for me.

I'm actually really proud of my race result. I know for a lot of people a 2:50+ finish would be exceedingly slow but this is only my 3rd half marathon and this result matches my first half marathon result from 2017 which was run on a completely flat course. For me to cover the terrain I did and still achieve a sub 3 hr time over the 21.1km distance was in my eyes a huge achievement and a much better result than I'd hoped for.

I pushed my body to it's limit today and it's screaming right now so if you don't mind I'm off to have an epsom salts bath and slather myself in Voltaren to help the swollen muscles!!

17 May = 5.02km Run in 35:27
17 May = 1.89km Walk in 21:30
19 May = 23.22Km in 3:08:46

WEEKLY TOTAL = 30.24Km (18.79 Miles)
MAY MONTHLY TOTAL = 66.7Km (41.445 Miles)
ANNUAL TOTAL = 355.879Km (221.133 Miles)

Last edited:

Beautiful sunrise and ocean! I know how you're feeling, I completely underestimated the hills on my local half marathon's course. You did amazing!

Holy smokes, that is gorgeous!!! Great job and enjoy your recovery time!

Congrats! Enjoy the downtime!

Beautiful pictures and that sunrise is just stunning. Great job crushing those hills!!

:banana::banana::banana:

Beautiful sunrise and ocean! I know how you're feeling, I completely underestimated the hills on my local half marathon's course. You did amazing!

Awww thanks so much guys for all the great encouragement. It means a lot. This is only the second official Half Marathon I've completed so I was really pleased with the result even though it wasn't anything spectacular.

You'll be happy to know that although I had to take a half day off work because I couldn't move my muscles have come good and recovered really quickly. I think I'll wait another day or two before attempting a short run and I'll probably replace my long run Sunday with a long walk Sunday this week :) I've noticed I'm getting some shin and calf pain so I don't want to push it and end up with shin splints or anything crazy.

I'm also going to try add in a yoga class this week. The old muscles could definitely use a stretch and I've heard from a lot of other regular runners that yoga has really helped with their running and recovery.

Thanks again guys!

Next up are the virtual running shorts. Oooohhh and I better get that proof of time submitted from my 10km result back in March before the cut off for submissions!!

UPDATE 20 MAY - 9 JUN

Oops so I disappeared there for a bit but for very good reason. After completing the Great Ocean Road Half Marathon I thought I'd gotten away injury free but I was wrong :(

Within 48 hours of completing the race I had some really nasty pain set in and after consulting with my Doctor we began investigating shin splints or a stress fracture. I also went and consulted a sports physiotherapist. I'm really pleased that after 2 weeks of investigations and an X-ray it turned out to just be poorly developed lower calf muscles. During the tests my physio also detected under developed glutes which I know is a common issue amongst runners.

So after 2 weeks off the road I'm pleased to report that I've been cleared to start back running again. I took it really nice and slow as per the physiotherapists orders and it felt good to be back out there.

I've also joined a local gym that has a huge range of classes and wellness facilities including reformer pilates. After consulting with some experienced runners I felt that I needed to add weights, pilates and yoga to my training for a better rounded training regime. I had my first reformer pilates class last week and I'm not ashamed to admit that I found muscles in places that I didn't know had muscles!!
:crutches::crutches::crutches::crutches::crutches::crutches::crutches::crutches:

So after a lot of running in May I also added some new bling to my medal collection. Here's an update on my trophy wall at work :)

My new personal favourite!!

22 May = 1.29km Walk
1 Jun = 5.15km Bike Ride
3 Jun = 50 Min Weights Session
4 Jun = 50 Min Pilates Reformer Class
6 Jun = 3.77Km Run
7 Jun = 2.84Km Walk

MAY MONTHLY TOTAL = 68.0Km (42.253 Miles)
JUN MONTHLY TOTAL = 11.8Km (7.332 Miles)
ANNUAL TOTAL = 308.5Km (191.693 Miles)​

I'm glad you don't have any lasting injuries! When does your training plan for Wine & Dine start?

When does your training plan for Wine & Dine start?

The official Galloway training guide for the challenge starts around 28 June, so I've got time to work on building those calf muscles and ensuring I don't struggle with them in future :) I can't believe how close it's all getting now! I think I've settled on a 5km race costume but I'm still tossing up my 10km options. I think I'll be pretty boring for the half marathon and keep the costume pretty basic.

The official Galloway training guide for the challenge starts around 28 June, so I've got time to work on building those calf muscles and ensuring I don't struggle with them in future :) I can't believe how close it's all getting now! I think I've settled on a 5km race costume but I'm still tossing up my 10km options. I think I'll be pretty boring for the half marathon and keep the costume pretty basic.

It will be here before you know it! I'm excited to see your costumes :thumbsup2

UPDATE 10 JUN - 23 JUN

I've been ramping up my non running training over the past 2 weeks and am happy to report that while I'm still under limited distance restrictions I've kept up 2 runs of about 4-5km per week but also thrown in at least 1 weights session a week and 1 reformer pilates class a week. So don't worry, I've not been slacking off.

The 2 Course Challenge Galloway Training program kicks off tomorrow so I'll be adding a 3rd, longer run each week to my training on Sundays. I'll admit to not loving the idea of running on Sundays, especially as I work 1 in 3 Saturdays, so I'm just going to have to sacrifice sleep in's every third Saturday. That's a bleak prospect considering we're currently well into winter in Australia and it's not unusual for me to have to train at 6am in 4 degrees (or 39 fahrenheit for my US friends) and rain. Melbourne's wet season is winter, so the past fortnight alone I've trained in rain, fog and freezing cold. There's been no frost yet but they're forecasting it for tomorrow so my run tomorrow morning could be interesting :crazy2::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2:

As you can imagine that's meant a lot of wet rainy days inside recently and we're going a little stir crazy day dreaming about our Florida adventure :)

But it's a good excuse to spend time with my 3 favourite boys AKA Hubby, Raif & Rastas. Riaf is the older of our two fur babies and is known as our good little mouse, while his brother is cheeky bugger who loves food and cuddles. I wish the were the kind of dogs that loved to go for a run with me but they're pampered little house dogs and at 11 they're starting to suffer the effects of doggy old age :(

10 Jun = 1Hr Weights Session
11 Jun = 50 Min Pilates Reformer Class
12 Jun = 4.28Km Run
13 Jun = 50 Min Weights Session
14 Jun = 5.02Km Run
17 Jun = 4.07Km Run
18 Jun = 50 Min Pilates Reformer Class
20 Jun = 50 Min Weights Session
21 Jun = 4.06Km Run

JUN MONTHLY TOTAL = 29.2Km (18.14 Miles)
ANNUAL TOTAL = 326Km (202.57 Miles)

UPDATE 24 JUN - 30 JUN

Oh my goodness where do I even begin this week? To say it's been a challenging week is an absolute understatement. My hubby and I have been fighting off some kind of virus that feels like we're getting the flu but then the symptoms never progress beyond tiredness, lack of energy, grumpiness and generally feeling flat. As a result my training this week has been really unpleasant and inevitably ended in disaster.

So Wine & Dine Challenge training began this week and my Galloway Challenge training plan says 30-45min runs on Tuesday's and Thursdays followed by increasing distance runs on Saturdays and then Sundays later in the training plan.

Tuesday's run got switched to a Monday run and went off without a hitch. Although my heart wasn't really in it I struggled through and got the job done with 5.13kms in 36:53. But then Thursday came.

When I woke up on Thursday I just wasn't loving life and really just wanted to crawl back into bed. It was freezing cold, dark and I was tired the minute I opened my eyes. BUT being a typical runner, I convinced myself that once I started out I'd feel better and the endorphins would kick in and I'd be fine. I WAS SO WRONG!!

I really should have listened to my initial instincts and crawled back into bed because what transpired was pretty nasty and I'm one very lucky lady. The first 3.35km's of the run was totally normal. I took a route I've run many many times and just about know all the dips and hills by heart but as I rounded the corner to home my two left feet got caught up as I ran down a small ramp onto a service station driveway. I lunged forward trying to recover from my extremely ungraceful fall but there was no stopping it. In all it's glory I ended up smashing into the driveway bitumen with my left knee first followed by both my hands and then my left shoulder. How I kept my head up and didn't knock my teeth out or smash up my face is beyond me but I'm very grateful. Now this service station is right on the corner of one of the busiest suburban intersections in Melbourne and there would have easily been 100 cars, even at 6:30am, sitting there watching all of this transpire. I quickly picked my bruised and bloody body up and hobbled away before I drew too much attention to myself and hobbled home in the dark. I was definitely in shock and even thought a couple of times that I was going to be sick :( Luckily this happened only 500m from home so as soon as I got in I carefully peeled off everything and jumped in the shower to assess the damage :(

The worst initial injury was my left hand and as the picture shows, the bruise over the last couple of days has gotten pretty bad. At first I thought I'd actually broken something because I could barely move my thumb but after 24 hours it was much much better. Luckily even though I went into the fall knee first I don't think I've injured my knee or leg but then again I haven't been running since. Unfortunately my favourite full length tights also fell victim and I tore holes in them at the knee :( Am really bummed about their untimely death :(

So moral of the story? I'm not sure there is one other than PAY DAMN ATTENTION!! I've realised that I'm pushing my body too hard and I need to be kinder to myself. So since this epic fail I haven't been back on the road and have been giving my body a chance to recover. I've also not been back in the gym but I'm going back to pilates this week for 2 sessions and am planning on going running on Tuesday morning again.

Stay safe and upright out there guys & gals :)

24 Jun = 5.13Km Run
27 Jun = 3.35Km Run & Fall Followed by a 500m hobble home

JUN MONTHLY TOTAL = 38.1Km (23.67 Miles)
ANNUAL TOTAL = 334.9Km (208.097 Miles)

UPDATE 1 JUL - 7 JUL

We've officially reached the end of Week 1 Wine & Dine Challenge training! I stupidly miscounted my weeks though and thought that I'd just finished Week 2 LOL! Oh well, I got a week's jump start :)

So after my fall a couple of weeks ago I've healed up pretty quickly. The bruises were pretty decent and the gravel rash is almost gone. I've been really careful ever since and have literally run and driven past the spot I had the fall and wondered how the hell I actually did fall? There's not a dip or a pot hole or anything. I guess I just have two stupid left feet.

So training the past few weeks have been a real drag. My hubby and I have been fighting off some kind of virus that feels like a cold but never really turns into a full blown cold. It's so frustrating. It just leaves you with a huge lack of energy which in turn of course effects your motivation :( I think in part this stupid virus is responsible for my fall. I had blood tests taken on Tuesday morning and started back on my vitamins that same day. I take a high dose vitamin C, high dose vitamin B12, 1000mg Fish Oil, Iron & Grapeseed every morning. It was amazing how quickly the vitamins improved my overall wellbeing and energy. Literally the next day I was back to feeling full of energy and myself again.
I'd love to hear from you all your experiences with vitamins and what you take to improve your wellbeing!

It's been a week of interesting runs. My training run on Tuesday morning was in heavy heavy fog and I had to be super careful when crossing roads. I also had to be really careful with foot placement as it was about 2 degrees and icy. The fog didn't lift until lunchtime in our area and effected flights in and out of Melbourne.

My training run on Thursday was a good one. I felt really comfortable and although the weather was freezing, it was one of those calming runs that felt like I'd turned a corner after 2 or 3 weeks of feeling frustrated, tired and unmotivated.

Long run Sunday was the highlight of my week though.

I actually ran a pretty good time and just enjoyed the scenery after weeks of running in the dark before work. It was nice to sleep in until 8am and then hit the road without rushing or sacrificing sleep. The pre-dawn starts in single didget temperatures are so testing.

I'm happy to report that my 5km & 10km race costumes are coming along well.

Here's a sneak peek at my 5km costume

And my 10km costume

Our 21 day park tickets with Memory Maker, Mini Gold & Water Parks arrived this week too! The only thing left to do now for our trip is book Fast Passes 60 days out, pay the balance of our DVC booking and the rest is payable on checkin.
:dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer:

2 July = 5.03Km Run
4 Jul = 5.02Km Run
7 Jul = 6.5Km Run

JUL MONTHLY TOTAL = 21.6Km (13.42 Miles)
ANNUAL TOTAL = 356.5Km (221.52 Miles)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!